• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Basically they're argument is that they have so much content they want to produce and they need two offices to do it, which seems odd since the site isn't bursting with content to begin with.
It's almost as if he's trying to lessen the blow with positive, yet likely false, hope...

Zabant

I'm kinda shocked at all the negative comments about Alex ITT. I think the guys funny and interesting.

I enjoy following Alex very much. He has his own style that I can relate too, he's also semi-ironically into dumb shit like wrestling and bad films like myself and is a hell of a writer.

He's not the best on camera, but not many are, it's a rare skill.

Having him teamed up with Vinny seems like an ice-cream on pizza scenario. Love them individually but together ... ehhhhh, their styles couldn't be more contrasting.

Brashnir

I thought everyone had finally come to their senses and realized that Alex is good people. I'd be happy to see him in more content, but having Vinny in less of the SF content (bombcast especially!) bums me out. No one can play FMV games like Vinny can.

On paper, Alex's special blend of snark would seem to go well with Vinny playing FMV games.

I thought everyone had finally come to their senses and realized that Alex is good people. I'd be happy to see him in more content, but having Vinny in less of the SF content (bombcast especially!) bums me out. No one can play FMV games like Vinny can.

Every time I run across Alex content, which is usually whenever he comes to San Francisco, I continue not to like him.

I have been told this is because he desperately tries to keep up with Jeff being funny but isn't really capable of it, so it's like watching a pole vaulter try and make a jump with a toothpick. I'm told that, on his own, he's fine. I haven't verified this for myself.

But when I think of Alex, I think of him being the guy who yells in to the microphone "Did you say 'I'M HELPING' to everyone?!" during a Bombcast and no one else in the room laughing. I'm probably not going to go out of my way to convince myself that Alex isn't the real one.

hwy_61

Banned
I enjoy following Alex very much. He has his own style that I can relate too, he's also semi-ironically into dumb shit like wrestling and bad films like myself and is a hell of a writer.

He's not the best on camera, but not many are, it's a rare skill.

Having him teamed up with Vinny seems like an ice-cream on pizza scenario. Love them individually but together ... ehhhhh, their styles couldn't be more contrasting.

I think that's why this will work. Vinny's a very talented producer, and Alex hasn't really gotten the opportunity to be on camera in a controlled setting. We've mostly seen him on live shows. I believe Vinny and Alex will make some really cool shit together.

It's a very interesting development, and I think it's completely reliant on two things-
1. How the new hires pan out, and when.
2. This concept of simultaneous content.

Listening to the Bombcast, they confirmed that they're getting studio space in New York, and it entirely seems like we're heading for more content overall (much like when Patrick spun off). So I see a possibility where both crews are still collaborating on video content - maybe even doing simultaneous livestreams.
Additionally, it sounds like they're planning on adding two new faces to the crew soon - and that's going to fill out the Bombcast roster. But god, if they do not mesh well - it's going to be an awkward period of time.

Also, I'm now realizing this means an end to Small Business Man. A tearful fairwell.

komplanen

Expanding? I'd say right now they are spreading their core talent way too thin. They better have some serious fucking talent join or GB is not better off on any account and might actually stop being good.

I wish Vinny all the luck and he's personally doing the right thing but fuck...

Fuuuuuuck

hwy_61

Banned
Every time I run across Alex content, which is usually whenever he comes to San Francisco, I continue not to like him.

I have been told this is because he desperately tries to keep up with Jeff being funny but isn't really capable of it, so it's like watching a pole vaulter try and make a jump with a toothpick. I'm told that, on his own, he's fine. I haven't verified this for myself.

But when I think of Alex, I think of him being the guy who yells in to the microphone "Did you say 'I'M HELPING' to everyone?!" during a Bombcast and no one else in the room laughing. I'm probably not going to go out of my way to convince myself that Alex isn't the real one.

Goddamn that's harsh. I'm never going into show business of any kind.

Zero315

Banned
I'm kinda shocked at all the negative comments about Alex ITT. I think the guys funny and interesting.

Alex is good on his own and when he was on Screened. Whenever he got around the Bomb crew though, not so much. He always tried to amp himself up to match the other guys, which usually just ended coming off as obnoxious. He became that guy who knows he's not as funny as the rest of the group so he just made himself louder.

I think he does pretty well on the morning show though, and he wasn't quite as bad during the last PAX panel. Hopefully he's learned to tone things down a bit.

I like him on Bombin the AM. But, when he is with the group on panels and the like, he kind of tries to be funny to match them (despite him actually saying this is something he learned to stop doing). The problem is that his idea of humor tends to be saying a cuss word loudly.

He and Patrick are a good team and I enjoy the hell out of their slightly more news oriented shows.

EDIT: Apparently I'm not alone in my reading of him.

Alex is good on his own and when he was on Screened. Whenever he got around the Bomb crew though, not so much. He always tried to amp himself up to match the other guys, which usually just ended coming off as obnoxious. He became that guy who knows he's not as funny as the rest of the group so he just made himself louder.

I think he does pretty well on the morning show though, and he wasn't quite as bad during the last PAX panel. Hopefully he's learned to tone things down a bit.

He already mentioned that actually during a talk with Patrick on Bombing (and both of them came to the same conclusion of not trying to match those guys) .

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's not particularly harsh. It's a joke he made and one that stuck with me specifically because of how awkward it was.

If you don't want people to notice your bad jokes, you don't make bad jokes in public.

I tell bad jokes in public all the time. They don't get brought up years later though. Because that would be weird.

I tell bad jokes in public all the time. They don't get brought up years later though. Because that would be weird.

Then you definitely shouldn't be in the business of putting out an entertainment product, because thinking people shouldn't be able to appraise it on their own or remember their own appraisals would itself be weird.

Anth0ny

Well, Vinny gets a pass on anything he wants to do as he's more than earned it.

But let me be clear here, this "giant bomb expansion" is straight up spin-doctor stuff. You don't expand to new cities when you have only 4 (now 3) members working at your main office. Jeff said there are going to be 1-2 hires and it's going to be a long process, not exactly grand plans.

Vinny is leaving because as he put it, the second max was born, everything changed and rightfully so his priorities changed. Jeff talking about making GB a franchise is putting a happy face on what is (in the lens of giant bomb and what it's users want) a bad situation.

They're not dumb; they all feel it, GB isn't what it used to be and in all likelihood won't be like it was ever again.

It's biggest draws (bombcast and live streams) just lost the most popular member and is now looking like a skeleton crew.

Nobody can replace Vinny nor should they try.

This is the start of a bright and happy new future for Vinny and I wish him the world, But in all honesty, it's just another wound in the already injured giant bomb.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And it's depressing as fuck.

Aaron

It's not particularly harsh. It's a joke he made and one that stuck with me specifically because of how awkward it was.

If you don't want people to notice your bad jokes, you don't make bad jokes in public.
All of the GB crew have made bad jokes that get zero laughs. Even Jeff, sometimes Vinny, and especially Drew, but especially Brad. People comment on them, but no one really remembers them. That's the nature of improv.

Stackboy

I don't get the negativity. By the sounds of it, this change will mean more GB content. Sure, Vinny and Jeff won't be in the same room, but nothing stays the same forever.

Right........?

Even if one doesn't watch solely for Vinny, he's the glue that holds a lot of those shows together.

Of the recent San Francisco content (let's say going back to March because that's one page of Subscriber videos), Vinny's either a big part of or the center of over half of those videos. Previous months skew even more toward him because of the Demon's and Dark Souls runs, as well.

eyeless

vinnyless bombcasts suck

news that vinny is not on the bombcast means 'prepare for a half as good bombcast'

and now that is every week, all bombcasts

worst of all possible worlds

the only thing that can save it is if the new hire(s?) is(are?) very funny and totally awesome NO PRESSURE EH

why would white jesus do this

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I love Alex but I doubt he'll be a good pair with Vinny. Just like Patrick and Ryan mostly weren't a good partners for Vinny.

Wait what? Ryan was amazing with Vinny, better than Jeff. Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta was Ryan/Vinny man!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't get the negativity. By the sounds of it, this change will mean more GB content. Sure, Vinny and Jeff won't be in the same room, but nothing stays the same forever.

Right........?

It's a pretty big change. Plus jeff/vinny as a combo will be sorely missed.

But yeah, I'll remain optimistic till I'm proven otherwise. There are still too many unknowns.

All of the GB crew have made bad jokes that get zero laughs. Even Jeff, sometimes Vinny, and especially Drew, but especially Brad. People comment on them, but no one really remembers them. That's the nature of improv.

I don't really understand the end of this argument here.

Should I like Alex because people believe that my memory of him should be more inaccurate?

Xw0Ylrr.jpg

The positive take is that I am really excited to see Vinny run an office and get some real east coast west coast beef going.

hamchan

I really hope Giant Bomb NY matches San Fran in terms of team size eventually. Vinny deserves to lead a whole group on his own. Like, I hope this was the plan with the new hires and that there's more than just 2 new people being hired like we initially thought.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really hope Giant Bomb NY matches San Fran in terms of team size eventually. Vinny deserves to lead a whole group on his own. Like, I hope this was the plan with the new hires and that there's more than just 2 new people being hired like we initially thought.

I think that they've said as much but I can't remember where I read/heard that from.

bender

What time is it?

The funny thing is that most people seemed disappointed that Brad was going to become part of the GiantBomb team instead of Alex in the site's early days.

With Patrick moving back to Chicago and Alex in New York, I'm not surprised that Vinny is heading back home and good for him. On the plus side, some Vinny content beats no Vinny content. I'm happy he'll still be part of GiantBomb. I wonder when Brad is going to move back to North Carolina.

It's too bad Danny can't be a more permanent member. He seems to mesh well with the rest of the crew.

Right........?

It's not shocking that people are taking this news poorly. Vinny's easily the most beloved member of the crew, and change is terrifying. But I agree - it sounds like this is a scaling up more than anything else. If Vinny/Alex can establish a base of operations, and get NYC-central game talent to get involved with the production (much like Lang & Tempkin have become pseudo-Bomb crew members), it's more show for everyone. This isn't like when Patrick left - nobody was claiming this to be the long-term plan, or acting like it wasn't a 100% personal decision. But here, Jeff is convincing on the dream of spreading out a website. Just listen to his talk on E3 on the Bombcast - the games industry is changing, and having a central location for media is becoming increasingly antiquated. Somebody who wants Sony & Microsoft to just have streaming pre-taped press conferences seems like they'd also be keen to running a website on a national scale.

hwy_61

Banned
The funny thing is that most people seemed disappointed that Brad was going to become part of the GiantBomb team instead of Alex in the site's early days.

With Patrick moving back to Chicago and Alex in New York, I'm not surprised that Vinny is heading back home and good for him. On the plus side, some Vinny content beats no Vinny content. I'm happy he'll still be part of GiantBomb. I wonder when Brad is going to move back to North Carolina.

It's too bad Danny can't be a more permanent member. He seems to mesh well with the rest of the crew.

I wouldn't be surprised if they all end up leaving SF. From what I hear its crazy expensive to live there.

Zabant

Talking about new hires (and I might be speaking out of turn here) do you guys think the new hires will be able to cope with the sheer amount of judging eyes they are about to draw?

God help if one is a female, it's pessimistic but I've been around the block and know how the internet works and I guarantee people will cry foul about her ruining "their" boys club no matter how well she fits in and her quality of work. Just look back on the introduction of Patrick, some of the criticism aimed at him is beyond fucking stupid, he gets incredible amounts of hate and a lot of it is unjustified.

I just hope the GB fans who are now very aware that their favourite site is hurting don't misguidedly shift all those bad feelings onto shitting on the new guys which guarantees a further decline in the community.

At lease I hope we give them a fair shot, then perhaps later if they don't fit in or produce interesting content we voice our concerns. I get a feeling that Jeff wouldn't fire a team member even if he found out everyone despised them and that they were a secret cannibal .

They better record a watch dogs QL before he leaves. We need one more trip to Vinnys open world madness

Also one last Sleeping Dogs video wouldnt hurt

bender

What time is it?
I wouldn't be surprised if they all end up leaving SF. From what I hear its crazy expensive to live there.

I'd think New York is just as expensive. The Brad thing was in jest, he sounds happy with his current situation but who knows? As someone who's transplanted from the south, I sure do miss the food and cost of living.

Talking about new hires (and I might be speaking out of turn here) do you guys think the new hires will be able to cope with the sheer amount of judging eyes they are about to draw?

I doubt they would care what the vocal minority rant about. Jeff would have their back(s). Just look at how much crap Patrick took (takes?). It's never seemed to bother him and he's probably the biggest content producers for the site.

2 podcasts a week would be incredible.

We're well beyond that already with the Bombcast and two Bombin' in the AM podcasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom