• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roytheone

Man, Vinny leaving for New York is really a bummer.

I am happy for him, but I really don't see how this will lead to better content. I still have a premium subscription for half a year, so I will see what happens. I hope that I am wrong and this will turn out for the better, but I'm very skeptical.

Damn that is gutting. As much as I love Vinny I find it hard to get excited by Vinny/Alex content.

Hopefully it brings good things but guess we'll just have to wait and see.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Valtýr;112818142 said:
Do you know how much money CBS budgets for Giantbomb? Care to share figures and statistics to back up your concerns?

Well, you don't need the numbers to surmise that, for better or worse, paying those people takes away from the ability to hire new people to fill their spots at home, and it is a little weird to pay for a fancy studio with a bunch of fancy equipment and a producer to man that equipment, and then have half the staff making content with cheap webcams in their bedrooms while the studio goes unused 50% of the time.

Honestly I personally don't mind those sorts of homemade production values, but it is still a weird business decision. Weirder still if they put a bunch of money into an another actual studio.

Vinny is just so fun, energetic, entertaining, open minded and knows what's best for content.

Brad is a boring, grumpy and tired old man.

Jeff seems super jaded and fed up.

Rorie barely knows about games these days.

Drew is the only one that comes close to Vinny and he's production.

GB better hire people who can touch even part of what Vinny did or the site is dead to me.

Jeff may do the business side but Vinny is the one really keeping the site alive.

Ever since Ryans passing i think jeff doesnt have the energy left

I think anyone would struggle with coming back to a business you created with your best friend after his passing and still have the same enthusiasm and energy.

Nobody can judge someone for having to do something like that and I bet almost anyone else would have just wanted to burn it to the ground and never go back.

All of these guys have done a great job since what happened last year.

I'm a little worried about how the main office will fare now given that largely depends on the unknown new hires. I'm looking forward to Vinny potentially producing more site content though, his recent Bombcasts have been the best content on the site and it's largely been down to his interactions with the guests.

Also I think people are being a little harsh on the site in the last year. I don't think the amount of content is great right now, but the period where they were running Pahtfinder/Volgar was one of their strongest for content production.

Erekiddo

I regret that I got into GB as late as I did.

I started off really liking Brad. He was funny, interesting and played a lot of the same games I did. As time went on however, he sounded more worn out and jaded.

I always liked Ryan's fresh enthusiasm and infectious laughter up until his death.

Vinny had become my new favorite and now he's splitting off as well. God damn it.

It can't stay this way forever, change is good in hindsight. But god damn it I'll be kicking and screaming the entire way.

BeerSnob

Vinny is just so fun, energetic, entertaining, open minded and knows what's best for content.

GB better hire people who can touch even part of what Vinny did or the site is dead to me.

Jeff may do the business side but Vinny is the one really keeping the site alive.

Oh come on now.

Zabant

Jeff just made a comment on the podcast about having Vinny let him know about the cost of living in new york because "I need to get the fuck out of here"

Sliver of hope instilled. 2:56:30

I suggest you read the op. These guys visit gaf so calling brad a grumpy tired old man is not very nice.

If there is one point of concern for me about current goings on, it would be this...

Through building the site, hiring Patrick, the buyout by CBSi, and the loss of Ryan, I always felt that everything coming out of the mouths of the Giant Bomb staff during those exciting and trying moments were their own thoughts and feelings. It felt personal, and they were not afraid to say things were bad if things were in fact bad.

The one notable thing about today, is that in Vinny's article and the talk on the podcast both seems to have PR overtones to them. Instead of saying what is actually going on - changes in Vinny's life leading him to move, which drastically affects the dynamics of the site as a whole - they seem to to be trying to push a message that "things are going well, and everything will be great."

I am not saying they should be crying and panicked on the latest podcast about the situation, but I get feeling that they are forcing a message here rather than directly talking to the community about the situation they find himself in - which is what they always did.over the last few years, I feel their natural reaction to such a situation would be "Okay, lets try this, I hope everythings does not go up in flames," and it is weird to hear not just outright say that,

Trying to paint a pretty picture of a situation does not feel very much like Giant Bomb - and that, to me, feels like it could be a problem going forward more than anything else.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If there is one point of concern for me about current goings on, it would be this...

Through building the site, hiring Patrick, the buyout by CBSi, and the loss of Ryan, I always felt that everything coming out of the mouths of the Giant Bomb staff during those exciting and trying moments were their own thoughts and feelings. It felt personal, and they were not afraid to say things were bad if things were in fact bad.

The one notable thing about today, is that in Vinny's article and the talk on the podcast both seems to have PR overtones to them. Instead of saying what is actually going on - changes in Vinny's life leading him to move, which drastically affects the dynamics of the site as a whole - they seem to to be trying to push a message that "things are going well, and everything will be great."

I am not saying they should be crying and panicked on the latest podcast about the situation, but I get feeling that they are forcing a message here rather than directly talking to the community about the situation they find himself in - which is what they always did.over the last few years, I feel their natural reaction to such a situation would be "Okay, lets try this, I hope everythings does not go up in flames," and it is weird to hear not just outright say that,

Trying to paint a pretty picture of a situation does not feel very much like Giant Bomb - and that, to me, feels like it could be a problem going forward more than anything else.

Well, for all we know it could be true. It's not like it's possible for vinny to just decide to move overnight. Out of all those situations this one is probably the least sudden one for them to happen.

And if you have plans what's the point in thinking that it won't work?

It's accurate. He nearly falls asleep on streams.

Take pride in your work for God's sake, like Vinny!

A thing that happened 3 times at most.

Isn't San Francisco going through some gentrification right now?

"Buyers flush with earnings from a booming economy are chasing a limited supply of homes for sale, and that's helping drive up prices. It's especially hard for first-time buyers looking for something priced below $500,000. But the hope remains that rising prices will draw more sellers into the marketplace, easing the shortage. The median price of a resale single-family house was $615,000 in Alameda County, the highest it's been since August 2007; $475,000 in Contra Costa County, the highest since November 2007; $810,000 in Santa Clara County, a new high in DataQuick's records going back to 1988; and $833,050 in San Mateo County, down from $860,000 in March. Alameda County is only 8.1 percent below its all-time peak, while Contra Costa County is 27.4 percent below and San Mateo County is 8 percent below."

Source: April home prices in Bay Area hit 7-year high

"What kind of job do you need to afford a good house in San Francisco? One that pays around $140,000 a year before taxes, according to a new report from financial publisher HSH Associates. And even then you’ll be unable to qualify for a good number of homes on the market. That salary makes the City by the Bay the least affordable major city in the country, said HSH, which gathers its estimates using its own mortgage data and home-price estimates from the National Association of Realtors."

Source: To Get A Home in San Francisco, First Get A $140,000-A-Year Job

Acid08

Banned

Word, there's no way they're actually excited about what kind of content they can create after Vinny's move. Just PR speak while the site crashes and burns, never mind that they're actually hiring more people to come onboard. Whatever fits the narrative you're trying to build, I guess.

demidar

"Buyers flush with earnings from a booming economy are chasing a limited supply of homes for sale, and that's helping drive up prices. It's especially hard for first-time buyers looking for something priced below $500,000. But the hope remains that rising prices will draw more sellers into the marketplace, easing the shortage. The median price of a resale single-family house was $615,000 in Alameda County, the highest it's been since August 2007; $475,000 in Contra Costa County, the highest since November 2007; $810,000 in Santa Clara County, a new high in DataQuick's records going back to 1988; and $833,050 in San Mateo County, down from $860,000 in March. Alameda County is only 8.1 percent below its all-time peak, while Contra Costa County is 27.4 percent below and San Mateo County is 8 percent below."

Source: April home prices in Bay Area hit 7-year high

"What kind of job do you need to afford a good house in San Francisco? One that pays around $140,000 a year before taxes, according to a new report from financial publisher HSH Associates. And even then you’ll be unable to qualify for a good number of homes on the market. That salary makes the City by the Bay the least affordable major city in the country, said HSH, which gathers its estimates using its own mortgage data and home-price estimates from the National Association of Realtors."

Source: To Get A Home in San Francisco, First Get A $140,000-A-Year Job

I'll take that as a yes.

Antiwhippy

Word, there's no way they're actually excited about what kind of content they can create after Vinny's move. Just PR speak while the site crashes and burns, never mind that they're actually hiring more people to come onboard. Whatever fits the narrative you're trying to build, I guess.

While I think it's fine that people are worried, saying that it's going to crash and burn is a bit alarmist.

Just a bit alarmist.

A thing that happened 3 times at most.

Please he does it all the time!

Not to mention he doesn't understand how to play a game to entertain. He never wants to use items, he's afraid of losing (the slightest of) progress, he'll never try anything new if doesn't fit the way he wants to play etc. He is literally the anti-Vinny.

I'm not meaning to hate on him, I enjoy quite a lot of his content, but you need more people like Vinny than Brad to make Giant Bomb what it is was my point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Favorite QL teams

Jeff/Vinny
Jeff/Ryan
Ryan/Vinny
Dave/Vinny

Guess which of these I can't have anymore. All of them. It's fucking stupid to say 'it's not big deal,' considering how many people came to the site because of the Endurance Run with Jeff AND Vinny. I don't want Wings. I want the fucking Beatles. I don't know what this means for the future of the site, but I don't really care as they no longer have content I desire. The Bombcast has become such a rambling mess even more so than before that barely even touches on games. I'm not saying you can't watch the site or look forward to what they're doing, I'm saying that I, and a lot of other people, are losing out on something that made the site what it was. And you should stop fucking shitting on people just because they're not happy with this direction. Which is asking a lot of the GB OT, I know.

yeah maybe they all just need to get out of the hellhole of southern california and they'll be happier.

it's not like they cover a lot of press events or anything anyway. They could do all of this cheaper anywhere else.

Myggen

While I think it's fine that people are worried, saying that it's going to crash and burn is a bit alarmist.

Just a bit alarmist.

Totally agree. I think it's completely justified to be concerned, it's Vinny, he's the favourite part of the crew for a big majority of the audience! On the other hand, it's Vinny, so I'm confident he'll make the most of the move and continue to make amazing content.

I'm most worried about him not being on the Bombcast tbh. I think they'll do fine with the video content, I'm even hopeful that this will shake things up and be positive in the long run. But Vinny is such a big part of the Bombcast. I personally hope they Skype him in for the podcast, having a Vinny on Skype is a lot better than having no Vinny at all!

Favorite QL teams

Jeff/Vinny
Jeff/Ryan
Ryan/Vinny
Dave/Vinny

Guess which of these I can't have anymore. All of them. It's fucking stupid to say 'it's not big deal,' considering how many people came to the site because of the Endurance Run with Jeff AND Vinny. I don't want Wings. I want the fucking Beatles. I don't know what this means for the future of the site, but I don't really care as they no longer have content I desire. The Bombcast has become such a rambling mess even more so than before that barely even touches on games. I'm not saying you can't watch the site or look forward to what they're doing, I'm saying that I, and a lot of other people, are losing out on something that made the site what it was. And you should stop fucking shitting on people just because they're not happy with this direction. Which is asking a lot of the GB OT, I know.

I'm not excusing the personal attacks or anything like that, that shit needs to go. But I understand why some people want to counter the doom and gloom among some people in the thread. You should be able to do that without being labelled as a GB fanboy or whatever. But yeah, there's a reason why the first thing of this OT is rules about not getting personal while discussing the site.

Tregard

Soothsayer
What are the odds of Danny being one of the new hires? Part of me thinks Bosman would be a good fit for Giant Bomb, but methinks GT would have him locked down considering he's one of the main reasons people visit the site now.

I will also put myself forward for Giant Bomb UK, maybe I can help make the tea or something.

only way this works to me is if Brad and Jeff start taking caffeine shots/buckfast before recording video

Go on...

Just a bit alarmist.

Yeah. I think "crash and burn" is overstating things. They are (finally) getting money from the top. which should lead to more interesting content - and of all people in the industry I trust Jeff not to let the site produce and publish clickbait trash, I just think the current situation is not ideal - and I feel that is plain for most people to see. However, the staff themselves are not acknowledging it. That, as some would say, is janky as hell!

Myggen

What are the odds of Danny being one of the new hires? Part of me thinks Bosman would be a good fit for Giant Bomb, but methinks GT would have him locked down considering he's one of the main reasons people visit the site now.

Zero. He's staying with GS, he's said so a number of times. Still, he's in a lot of content and is probably gonna keep being in a lot of content, so it's not all bad.

Acid08

Banned

Just a bit alarmist.
Read my post again and pls understand

Favorite QL teams

Jeff/Vinny
Jeff/Ryan
Ryan/Vinny
Dave/Vinny

Guess which of these I can't have anymore. All of them. It's fucking stupid to say 'it's not big deal,' considering how many people came to the site because of the Endurance Run with Jeff AND Vinny. I don't want Wings. I want the fucking Beatles.
I this, I that. Sorry that you feel so personally put out by Ryan's passing and Vinny's move. These are people and life happens, they've given you so much already and this crazy entitlement isn't a good look.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Zero. He's staying with GS, he's said so a number of times. Still, he's in a lot of content and is probably gonna keep being in a lot of content, so it's not all bad.

Aah that's fair enough then, the amount of stuff he's in makes him feel like a team member anyway.

Antiwhippy

Please he does it all the time!

Not to mention he doesn't understand how to play a game to entertain. He never wants to use items, he's afraid of losing (the slightest of) progress, he'll never try anything new if doesn't fit the way he wants to play etc. He is literally the anti-Vinny.

I'm not meaning to hate on him, I enjoy quite a lot of his content, but you need more people like Vinny than Brad to make Giant Bomb what it is was my point.

I seriously can't remember the last stream he fell asleep in. All I can think of is last year's E3 stream but that was late night after a convention. Name me one recent stream where he fell asleep, I seriously can't remember.

Also brad playing like a neurotic is what makes him great! Thing is, GB being a personality driven site is that we want each individual's personality. Also is not like Vinny will stop doing quick looks, if anything if the plan goes as they hope he'll be doing more quick looks.

derFeef

Favorite QL teams

Jeff/Vinny
Jeff/Ryan
Ryan/Vinny
Dave/Vinny

You are not owning those persons and their private life or can make life decisions for them, read what you write please. Wow.

2477975-vinny+tickle.gif

I proclaim today as Vincenzo day !

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I this, I that. Sorry that you feel so personally put out by Ryan's passing and Vinny's move. These are people and life happens, they've given you so much already and this crazy entitlement isn't a good look.

I don't think you understand how a subscription service works. I paid while I enjoyed the content. I do not enjoy the content anymore, so I do not pay. People are allowed to cite why they like things about Giant Bomb just as they are allowed to cite things they don't like. It's how you improve what you offer or at least come to an agreement to part ways.

How about you quit calling people entitled because they're simply unhappy with a service and offering why they're unhappy? It's not a good look. Makes you come off like a real fanboy.

bonercop

Favorite QL teams

Jeff/Vinny
Jeff/Ryan
Ryan/Vinny
Dave/Vinny

Yeah, I like all the GB guys and I understand why this is the best decision for vinny, but the site kinda lost its A-team for quick looks. Brad's a cool dude and all, but he's better on podcasts than when he's psyching himself out about his performance at videogames on QLs. Drew almost never does QLs, except for the occasional super obscure track-IR enabled flight sim; fun videos, but you can't make all the content about flight sims. Jeff is only one man.

Myggen

Aah that's fair enough then, the amount of stuff he's in makes him feel like a team member anyway.

Yup. it's pretty clear that they've good some arrangment going there.

This move also means that the new producer will probably have to be more on camera in the early stages. I wouldn't be surprised if they do an Endurance Run (I know, I know) to get the new hires into the groove of things. Or some other long form content.

Yeah, I like all the GB guys and I understand why this is the best decision for vinny, but the site kinda lost its A-team for quick looks. Brad's a cool dude and all, but he's better on podcasts than when he's psyching himself out about his performance at videogames on QLs. Drew almost never does QLs, except for the occasional super obscure track-IR enabled flight sim; fun videos, but you can't make all the content about flight sims. Jeff is only one man.

And that's why they're hiring.

Acid08

Banned
Yeah. I think "crash and burn" is overstating things. They are (finally) getting money from the top. which should lead to more interesting content - and of all people in the industry I trust Jeff not to let the site produce and publish clickbait trash, I just think the current situation is not ideal - and I feel that is plain for most people to see. However, the staff themselves are not acknowledging it. That, as some would say, is janky as hell!
Since you didn't get it: I'm saying that you're crazy for thinking the site is just spewing PR nonsense. When have they EVER been like that? Why is now the time to assume they're not being genuine with the audience? Oh yeah it's because people are upset and want to create a narrative they can buy into.

Antiwhippy

It's not really entitlement if people say they don't enjoy the content anymore. I don't think the GB guys will begrudge anyone who doesn't enjoy the site anymore, this past one and a half year had some serious changes. It's understandable that not everyone will be on board.

derFeef

I don't think you understand how a subscription service works. I paid while I enjoyed the content. I do not enjoy the content anymore, so I do not pay. People are allowed to cite why they like things about Giant Bomb just as they are allowed to cite things they don't like. It's how you improve what you offer or at least come to an agreement to part ways.

How about you quit calling people entitled because they're simply unhappy with a service and offering why they're unhappy? It's not a good look. Makes you come off like a real fanboy.

Well how can you say you are not enjoying the new content - as we have not seen much of it yet, no?

Wunder

I don't think the detractors are saying that the decision is nothing but the best or right choice for Vinny, because it's his life and he can do whatever he wants, especially if it helps in raising his family. However, I don't think it's hard to see the trend that Giant Bomb is heading towards, with so many tragedies and departures as of late. The SF office already struggles to pump out content if even a single person is away for vacation or on assignment, unless the new hires can pick up what Vinny put down extremely fast, it will be a long transitioning process and who knows what the end result will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom