• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not owning those persons and their private life or can make life decisions for them, read what you write please. Wow.

Getting fed up of people throwing round the word entitled and acting like you do just because the content they enjoy is going to disappear.

Of course someone is going to want more of the thing they enjoy and are going to be put out when that content goes.

What are the odds of Danny being one of the new hires? Part of me thinks Bosman would be a good fit for Giant Bomb, but methinks GT would have him locked down considering he's one of the main reasons people visit the site now.

Bosman's amazing but I can't help but think he'd be a terrible fit for GB, especially with Vinny going. They need someone with that kind of optimism about games who can be as loud as Jeff/argue for as long as Brad.

Really looking forward to the NY stuff because it's a change and it'll be chaotic and that'll lead to Vinny making awesome videos, but depending on the new hires I think the SF content could go either way. Even if they're entertaining/knowledgeable/experienced/whatever, if it's people who are going to get totally drowned out by Jeff and Brad I can see there being issues with the overall tone of the podcast and other content. There have been a ton of times where Vinny has pretty much singlehandedly made the podcast worth listening to by not being totally jaded and contrarian (Drew's great too now that he's on, but he's pretty quiet). I'm not really optimistic or pessimistic, just really interested in seeing how it goes with the new hires.

Holy shit...

@buemba said:
It's a time for change, so I believe this is a good opportunity to kill the Bombcast. Kill it and replace with The Bombcast Tapes: Side A (West coast team, releases on Tuesday) and Side B (East coast team, releases on Friday).

Getting a new Jeff hosted podcast and a new Vinny hosted podcast every week would be pretty sweet.

Acid08

Banned
I don't think you understand how a subscription service works. I paid while I enjoyed the content. I do not enjoy the content anymore, so I do not pay. People are allowed to cite why they like things about Giant Bomb just as they are allowed to cite things they don't like. It's how you improve what you offer or at least come to an agreement to part ways.

How about you quit calling people entitled because they're simply unhappy with a service and offering why they're unhappy? It's not a good look. Makes you come off like a real fanboy.
You're unhappy with content that doesn't even exist yet? Or are you unhappy with what was already there? Either way your complaining is meaningless, if you don't like what the site was doing with Vinny in SF, and have already convinced yourself you won't like what they'll do with him in NY, then what do you even have to say? Congrats, you don't like GB anymore.

And you're totally right, I am a GB fanboy. Love the guys and everything they've given us over the years(and even before at GS). You're also kidding yourself if you think this thread is a fanboy haven. There is a constant current of negativity flowing through.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Bosman's amazing but I can't help but think he'd be a terrible fit for GB, especially with Vinny going. They need someone with that kind of optimism about games who can be as loud as Jeff/argue for as long as Brad.

Yeah, I was envisioning Vinny still being there, Bosman would be a bit muted otherwise.

Zaph

Wow, that's some news to wake up to.

Can't imagine what it's like to raise a child for years without the support of your immediate family around you. So I'm totally happy for Vinny and his family.

But yeah, I'm usually the optimist about GB changes, but I don't blame people for seeing the worst in this. The last two years have shown just how little sway GB has at CBSi - so having faith they can quickly and effectively execute on 'satellite' GB offices without at least a year of waiting is difficult.

But TBH, what worries me is that Vinny is a (really, really good) producer at heart - him also being a great editor was always just a bonus. So what is he going to produce in NY? Alex sitting on a chair 3 times a week? A producer kinda needs people.

Hopefully the SF hires work out so they can actually get around to NY hires this year like they hope. I just really hope this doesn't end up with CBSi dragging their feet and Vinny losing hope and looking for a new job.

It's just kinda sad accepting GB's best years are probably behind them. I keep waiting for them to hit the high notes of Random PC game, BioForge, Flight Club etc; but I don't see it happening.

In the meantime SF is going to be weird. Even before all this 'expansion' spin, their staffing levels were still way under WM era. Now it's going to be really understaffed until way after E3. Maybe it means Brad will finally man up, drink a cup of coffee and host a show?

NIN90

This means Vinny will appear in Alex/Patrick content, huh?
I dunno about that. Alex/Patrick make me a sleepy Brad whenever I watch their stuff.

Zaph

The obvious thing is to build a morning show set and take the Bombin' the AM concept to the next level.

Get Vinny and Alex into some suits.
That'd be amazing. Have a weather segment for the three states using only P4 assets...

Get a green screen behind Patrick and he can be their satellite reporter in the rain all the time - "it's cold as shit. Goodbye!".

Edit: ugh, then you realise Vinny won't have anyone with comedic timing to bounce off and the whole thing falls flat.

Haunted

GB SanFran loses a member and GB NY gains one, doesn't seem so bad to me.

I think this means we'll see a lot more Alex content in the future as Vinny ramps up production.

Also means that we have standout content producers in each of the offices, Drew/Danny in SF, Patrick and Chicago and Vinny in NY. It feels more even, now.

Lijik

Damn with the way some of the people in this thread are posting I had to go back a few pages to realize Vinny was still actually going to be on the site.

Personally speaking, I still enjoy the site and its content, and Vinny in New York is alright by me. I like the offshoot chicago streams, and it sounds like Vinny and Alex are already coming up with content ideas. If he shows up on the morning show, it'll probably make that a must listen for me again (i wound up dropping it due to less time for podcasts a while back). It also sounds like on a personal level for vinny this move has a lot of things going for him which is also pretty rad. My only issue, and its kind of a big one, is that leaves a big hole in the SF side until they get the new hires in. If they already had them secured Id be less wary, but right now it just feels like we're looking at a prolonged transition stage post-e3 which bums me out as a viewer of the site. I trust the guys, and im hoping for the best but man.

The obvious thing is to build a morning show set and take the Bombin' the AM concept to the next level.

Get Vinny and Alex into some suits.

Alex and Vinny in the mooooooooorning

bonercop

I suppose maybe Vinny could be in more video content now that his time is freed up from having to do all that behind-the-scenes work he always seemed to be in charge of?

As i said before Solo Vinny content would be the baller shii

ehhhhh.....I disagree. I have never seen an unedited, blind solo LP that isn't terrible. Not even Vinny can make that good.

Ban Puncher

TVbxXnu.png

"You must find the Jade Gerstmann before the next full moon."

If I had a micron of talent for Photoshop, I'd whip up a Jade Empire cover with Jeff on the front. But MS Paint ain't got shit on me.

hMBOlyt.png

Throwing Encouraged

YOU KNOW.

BECAUSE JEFF IS JADED.

GET IT?????

I suppose maybe Vinny could be in more video content now that his time is freed up from having to do all that behind-the-scenes work he always seemed to be in charge of?

ehhhhh.....I disagree. I have never seen an unedited, blind solo LP that isn't terrible. Not even Vinny can make that good.

He has to continue Vinnyvania though

Now the new guy they hire will have even greater importance. Giantbomb SF is going to feel really different without Vinny. But the real good thing is that at least he gets to have his family around him now and that should make things better for him.

Since you didn't get it: I'm saying that you're crazy for thinking the site is just spewing PR nonsense. When have they EVER been like that? Why is now the time to assume they're not being genuine with the audience? Oh yeah it's because people are upset and want to create a narrative they can buy into.

I don't think I am crazy here. That is a huge blanket nonsensical statement to make. .I feel I am one of the more level headed people talking about the subject..

When the site was been first created, and starting to grow, they did multiple videos explaining who they were, what was their plan, and gave and insight into what they hoped to create going forward. When the CBSi change happened, they did multiple QnAs to appease and calm an audience that was annoyed and concerned at the time. They talked directly to their fans, and told them exactly what was happening. How things would change, but how things would stay the same.

Today's announcement is less of a jolt to the site as a whole than the above, but it is still a big change. However, instead of discussing the change with the community, they have not even referenced the downside the community itself is openly talking about. They are focusing on only good side - which feels a bit fake (in comparison to their previous open attitude).

That is my only real concern here, and I think is a valid one. I have no idea how you, or anyone else could see it as "crazy."

Haunted

I don't think I am crazy here. That is a huge blanket nonsensical statement to make. .I feel I am one of the more level headed people talking about the subject..

When the site was been first created, and starting to grow, they did multiple videos explaining who they were, what was their plan, and gave and insight into what they hoped to create going forward. When the CBSi change happened, they did multiple QnAs to appease and calm an audience that was annoyed and concerned at the time. They talked directly to their fans, and told them exactly what was happening. How things would change, but how things would stay the same.

Today's announcement is less of a jolt to the site as a whole than the above, but it is still a big change. However, instead of discussing the change with the community, they have not even referenced the downside the community itself is openly talking about. They are focusing on only good side - which feels a bit fake (in comparison to their previous open attitude).
This is just Vinny putting all that media training to good use!

Zaph

That is my only real concern here, and I think is a valid one. I have no idea how you, or anyone else could see it as "crazy."
It's not crazy.

My hope is that they've all seen CBSi finally get their arse in gear (something the audience isn't as privy to) and now they are genuinely excited for the future.

So while it may sound like a bunch of stuff that'll never happen to us (eg more hires in 2014), to them they know things are actually finally moving so they don't need to be as blunt.

Zoggy

anyone do a "giantbomb just shot themselves in the foot" copy paste yet?

someone do it.

i think its awesome. great news and i'm excited. giantbomb nation is becoming real

I think it's fairly clear the choice wasn't between Vinny staying in SF or moving to NY. By everything Vinny was saying, especially in the last 10-15 minutes of the podcast, the choice was Vinny moving to NY and getting another video producing job or Vinny moving to NY and being a member of GBNY.

Cincaid

Count me out of that community then. I like all the GB guys.

Could not agree more. Some of you are acting like spoiled brats, lashing out on the others in the crew just because Vinny is moving to another city. Truly embarrassing.

And no, the "it's just my opinion"-excuse doesn't fly, you're just coming off as a major douche. Especially the dude, who I won't even quote or name, who questioned Vinny's decision to move to New York to be closer to his family. Really? Really?

chogidogs

Do you know why Breaking Brad was so good? Because it was Vinny egging him on.

...I guess they could Skype him in?

They tried this with Brad and Patrick playing Rogue Legacy and it did not work. Patrick was atleast 10 seconds behind, Brad had to physically not do anything just so Patrick can catch up and see what crazy thing happened in the game so they could talk about it.

Kerned

Banned
I really hope that Jeff change his stance on Skype podcasts. As much as I love Jeff, Brad and Drew individually, without Vinny's energy the podcast will seem a little flat with that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom