• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

To take a positive look at this, I'd kinda like east coast GB to now starting rolling and become the main GB. Imagine what it would be like with Vinny at the helm, Patrick (who is the second best guy after Vinny) can roll in regularly, they could hire a few new people and all of a sudden it's Giant Bomb 2.0

Of course, with the new hires in SF this could be a great new era there too, but it's hard to imagine ever loving it as much without Vinny there. Danny is the only person so far to come close to him and he's made it clear he's not leaving GS... plus I feel like there is certain baggage in SF which always taints some of the content now. There are a few hearts which seem not to be in it...

I can't really say I agree with the bolded part, but other than that, good post.

To be honest I've always been confused why people want Danny to join GB? He's essentially a member of a site as it is so I don't think they'd gain much from head-hunting him.

Kyari

Aw man.... legitimately saddened that Vinny is moving to New York. I get that that is incredibly selfish of me to say but that's not gonna be anywhere near as awesome without him :(

Brashnir

When looking back at the past two years in mind with this news of Vinny leaving the SF offices I would have to say you are in denial if you think things aren't bad right now.

Equating me saying that to the people shitting on others for being glum and basically telling them to get a life is in my opinion a bad thing for discussion.

We don't even know how things are really looking right now. They might be bad, sure, but they won't necessarily be.

They'll certainly be different, but different isn't always bad. Was it bad when GB started bringing Drew on-camera more? Was it bad when they started bring Danny over from GS onto the set? Was it bad when Patrick started doing shows with Dave Lang and Max Temkin?

We don't know who the new hires will be. We don't know how many there will be. We don't know if Vinny has any friends or family members who are comedy savants who he can rope into the occasional live show.

You're looking only at what you're losing and deciding that the net change will automatically be bad, but I don't see that as case so obvious that anyone who disagrees is automatically in denial.

This past weekend, Danny, Alexis, and Ian put on a hilarious live show - could you have predicted that two years ago when things were in your mind so obviously better?

I think everyone just needs to step back for now.

It's a bummer for people who like vinny in the main content but it won't be an unmitigated disaster, and for people who think that all will be peachy it doesn't mean that there won't be rough spots which may or may not be fixed. Too many uncertainties for now.

Exactly, I think it's too early to tell one way or the other about this. While I'm bummed that America's Best Sports Team is being broken up, and Vinny seems irreplaceable in a lot of ways, I have faith in Jeff's ability to figure out who will have good chemistry with the remaining SF crew, and I'm looking forward to seeing who the new hires are. Yeah, there's a chance they'll end up totally sucking, but until we've seen who they are and given them some time to acclimate, I'm not going to be talking about Giant Bomb's inevitable demise just yet. As somebody else said here, Danny's only been around a few months, and wasn't even specifically brought in to be a part of the Giant Bomb crew, but his rapport with them is so great that people are already clamoring for him to join GB. And I think Jeff's smart enough to find a couple of people with that same kind of easy chemistry to fill up the void left by all the departures.

That said, I'm steeling myself for the next few months of GB content to be pretty dire. Between the weeks before E3 with the skeleton crew in SF, Vinny adjusting to things in NY, and the settling-in period for the new folks, I don't blame anybody who decides not to up their subscription and wait it out to see how things go. But for me, I'm looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

styl3s

To be honest I've always been confused why people want Danny to join GB? He's essentially a member of a site as it is so I don't think they'd gain much from head-hunting him.
Because he isn't essentially a member.

He doesn't appear weekly on the bombcast or a large amount of live events/QL's. Podcast is going to not be anywhere near as good now that Vinny is going (unless they skype him in or whatever every week) and one person who can fill that gap is Danny because he is genuinely hilarious.

Can't say I'm happy about this, but I think the crew at least deserves to show us how the NY office will be set-up and who the new hires are before I go all doom and gloom.

But Vinny and Alex certainly have to make some great content right from the start to quell people's fears in all of this. A new endurance run would be the perfect thing and probably also a good way for Vinny and Alex to relax around each other and get some comedic chemistry.

Bonus info: Alex and Vinny has never done a quick look just the two of them, but they were pretty great together in the Test Drive 2: Unlimited one. http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-test-drive-unlimited-2/2300-3776/

I'd like to see more Rorie content though I understand he's very busy. He's on UPF but has to spend it paying attention to chat. At least get him on the bombcast sometimes

Zebetite

Banned
I'm pretty bummed that VinnyVania might be dead, I was really enjoying it. Outside of that, I won't get too worried or upset until things are actually settled down and it's clear whether or not this was a good business decision.

Big personal decision for Vinny, though! Welcome back to the East Coast. It's better here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm pretty bummed that VinnyVania might be dead, I was really enjoying it. Outside of that, I won't get too worried or upset until things are actually settled down and it's clear whether or not this was a good business decision.

Big personal decision for Vinny, though! Welcome back to the East Coast. It's better here.

Vinnyvania doesn't have to be dead, but I'm gonna miss Barkerville.

demidar

We don't even know how things are really looking right now. They might be bad, sure, but they won't necessarily be.

They'll certainly be different, but different isn't always bad. Was it bad when GB started bringing Drew on-camera more? Was it bad when they started bring Danny over from GS onto the set? Was it bad when Patrick started doing shows with Dave Lang and Max Temkin?

We don't know who the new hires will be. We don't know how many there will be. We don't know if Vinny has any friends or family members who are comedy savants who he can rope into the occasional live show.

You're looking only at what you're losing and deciding that the net change will automatically be bad, but I don't see that as case so obvious that anyone who disagrees is automatically in denial.

This past weekend, Danny, Alexis, and Ian put on a hilarious live show - could you have predicted that two years ago when things were in your mind so obviously better?

Yep. Writing off Giant Bomb right now is really stupid, given the history of changes Giant Bomb has already been through.

The next big wildcard to look forward to is the new SF hires, which will happen after E3.

Also, Rorie is great at comedy. I wouldn't mind if he was brought on to the Bombcast.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I feel like this whole thing would have been easier to "stomach" if there was something more than just "We've been talking about some content"
How's this even going to work? They don't have a NY "Office" were Vinny and Alex would meet right?

Now I really hope they are careful about who they hire. Cause they absolutely need some one with a whole bunch of energy. Ryan's loss already sucked out a lot of energy from the bombcast and with Vinny gone too I'm kinda afraid what the bombcast will become.
I'm honestly trying to be not too pessimistic but as a person who just can't care about solo content it's really hard to envision anything good coming out of this.

daydream

Banned
Vinny/Alex ER sounds like a great way to really get GBNY started, actually. I'd be into that.

I would be surprised if VinnyVania was dead. There's no reason it can't continue?

Antiwhippy

I feel like this whole thing would have been easier to "stomach" if there was something more than just "We've been talking about some content"
How's this even going to work? They don't have a NY "Office" were Vinny and Alex would meet right?

Now I really hope they are careful about who they hire. Cause they absolutely need some one with a whole bunch of energy. Ryan's loss already sucked out a lot of energy from the bombcast and with Vinny gone too I'm kinda afraid what the bombcast will become.
I'm honestly trying to be not too pessimistic but as a person who just can't care about solo content it's really hard to envision anything good coming out of this.

They said on the bombcast that CBSi has some office they can work out from.

Fantastapotamus

I would be surprised if VinnyVania was dead. There's no reason it can't continue?

In all honesty, VinnyVania would have been pretty boring if it was just Vinny trying to kill Dracula for an hour while talking to himself. Without anybody else to talk to I can't imagine how it can continue while still being entertaining. That's why they did the PC engine thing

They said on the bombcast that CBSi has some office they can work out from.

Well, that's something at least.

daydream

Banned
In all honesty, VinnyVania would have been pretty boring if it was just Vinny trying to kill Dracula for an hour while talking to himself. Without anybody else to talk to I can't imagine how it can continue while still being entertaining. That's why they did the PC engine thing

Well, he's not stuck at the moment and he also wouldn't be talking to himself. I'm sure Alex has played some CV in his time.

Because he isn't essentially a member.

He doesn't appear weekly on the bombcast or a large amount of live events/QL's. Podcast is going to not be anywhere near as good now that Vinny is going (unless they skype him in or whatever every week) and one person who can fill that gap is Danny because he is genuinely hilarious.

My point is there are other genuinely hilarious people out there and they might just hire a couple. On top of that you'll still have Danny appear around once a week and he might even appear more frequently whilst they're lacking staff.

Haunted

Just realised this means no more GB sports team of experts.

Clearly, they have to lean the other way now, with Danny actually knowing shit about FIFA and other sports not popular in the US. :p

I'd be fine if Danny stayed at Gamespot but gets a regular seat on the bombcast, moderates most of GB's live shows, produces more content for GB and Random Encounter incorporates other GB people each week and appears on GB's YT channel.

My point is there are other genuinely hilarious people out there and they might just hire a couple. On top of that you'll still have Danny appear around once a week and he might even appear more frequently whilst they're lacking staff.
Who would you want to see join GB?

Alucrid

Banned
I'd be fine if Danny stayed at Gamespot but gets a regular seat on the bombcast, moderates most of GB's live shows, produces more content for GB and Random Encounter incorporates other GB people each week.

So you basically want Danny to somehow do enough work meant for two people?

Antiwhippy

I'd be fine if Danny stayed at Gamespot but gets a regular seat on the bombcast, moderates most of GB's live shows, produces more content for GB and Random Encounter incorporates other GB people each week and appears on GB's YT channel.

I would like to see them blood some new people actually. Even patrick is relatively old-school as far as game journos go.

Haunted

So you basically want Danny to somehow do enough work meant for two people?
Nah, just Gamespot to foot the bill for him to actually work at Giantbomb.

It was a joke. I just want all the people I find interesting and entertaining to work at the same place so they can interact with each other more often. :D

soo how is vinny gonna do the podcast now, skype?
Like Patrick, presumably.

Zaph

Some new Bombcast GIFs :(

gk28EAk.gif

FRMGuWL.gif

bodine1231

For me it really depends on what they do for the podcast. Will there be two? Will they start the Skype/Google thing? If they don't Skype Vinny in that's gonna be a huge blow to the show. It's pretty much a three person podcast anyway, Drew rarely speaks and he's by far the weakest personality on the show. Ryan was a huge personality and they put the exact opposite in his place. If Vin is not on the podcast I hope the guys they bring are entertaining.

Rrang129

The news hit me like a truck... Vinny is such a damn good couch / bombcast presence; there are quite mighty shoes to fill for the new people. He definitely will be missed in SF for the foreseeable future... The Kinect QLs!! Man... :'(

I'm optimistic about this though, it's way better than having Vinny completely gone anyway. It may even work out to be something awesome! Only time will tell...

Good on Vinny for making family #1 as well - quite an admirable duder.

Sad and happy and worried and excited.
post-27421-Im-in-a-glass-case-of-emotion-xSnR.gif

Oof, these are some news to wake up to.

I will say, guys like Vinny up the game of wherever they go. That's why he's so beloved.

It's sad he's leaving "the gang." But I have little to no doubts he's going to rock the shit in whatever he decides to do in NY.

Also, I hope this can get a East Coast/West Coast duder-beef going.

EAST SIDE REPRESENT.
West Side is the best!

Fantastapotamus

On a positive note, I'm excited for more "real" content from Alex. Always thought he was the most underused GB person until Rorie joined. Also, does this mean we'll get some more Rorie on the Bombcast at least till they hire somebody? I honestly can't imagine a three man bombcast with Drew, Brad and Jeff.

Honestly I'm not up to date with people in the games media outside of those who appear on GB so I can't say I've got any valid suggestions. I would have loved for them to hire Jeff Green but that's as likely to happen as them hiring Danny right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom