• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

They tried this with Brad and Patrick playing Rogue Legacy and it did not work. Patrick was atleast 10 seconds behind, Brad had to physically not do anything just so Patrick can catch up and see what crazy thing happened in the game so they could talk about it.

Wasn't that back when they were still using Twitch for live broadcasts? Twitch is ass for immediate communication due to the 30-60 second delay.

MormaPope

Banned
Jeff leaves and moves to Chicago to be Dave Lang's second hand man.

Drew becomes a pilot.

Rorie becomes a professional puppy sitter.

Brad stays in San Francisco, and is the only remaining member of the Giant bomb.

The Brad is leaving jokes were a ruse the entire time, not only does Brad never leave, he's the only one that never left.

tumblr_mpfqkpmvvv1qm3ypqo1_500.gif

Myggen

Wasn't that back when they were still using Twitch for live broadcasts? Twitch is ass for immediate communication due to the 30-60 second delay.

Patrick and Alex has played a couple of games together without much problem. Granted that was recorded and not live, but I'm sure they could do it live with the in-house player.

edit: Okay, I misunderstood the post. Nevermind!

Zaph

The CBSi player has a similar (probably longer) delay due to the scrubbing feature.

To pull this off they'd need to have a private Skype between hosts with the feed piped to their public stream. And can Skype reliably share a screen with a D3D overlay? Every time I've used it has been for desktop stuff only.

Really sad to see him leave SF, but glad he will still be on GB. Will he still get to play the role of "Small Business Owner" on the Bombcast? I know Jeff doesn't like making Skype podcasts but I don't see why they can't use Skype to create the commercials.

It's a bummer, but I want to look at the positives and possibilities rather than focus on what we might be losing.

I'm going to support this site til the end, it's given me so much entertainment and sheer enjoyment of gaming and everything that it represents that this move doesn't even come close to tainting those memories.

Plus, I cannot begrudge a father for doing the best thing for his wife, child and family.

All the best, Vinny!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't mean this to sound patronising, but this must be exciting for Alex. Working mostly alone for so long and then having someone to join forces with locally must be awesome.

kvk1

Oof, these are some news to wake up to.

I will say, guys like Vinny up the game of wherever they go. That's why he's so beloved.

It's sad he's leaving "the gang." But I have little to no doubts he's going to rock the shit in whatever he decides to do in NY.

Also, I hope this can get a East Coast/West Coast duder-beef going.

EAST SIDE REPRESENT.

Listening to the bombcast while knowing the news is just bumming me out. Just imagining it without Vinny being there to catch whatever Jeff is putting down, it's horrible :(

atomsk

Party Pooper
"huh, there's a bunch more pages in the GB thread I wonder what happ.... oh"

=(

edit: but as someone who lives in NJ (and lived in the midwest for 3 years), I can totally sympathize about the pizza situation

demidar

The CBSi player has a similar (probably longer) delay due to the scrubbing feature.

To pull this off they'd need to have a private Skype between hosts with the feed piped to their public stream. And can Skype reliably share a screen with a D3D overlay? Every time I've used it has been for desktop stuff only.

I don't think so, it's either windowed or windowed borderless.

Didn't know about the delay on the new player though, weird.

Kerned

Banned
I don't mean this to sound patronising, but this must be exciting for Alex. Working mostly alone for so long and then having someone to join forces with locally must be awesome.

Yeah, especially since that someone is Vinny Motherfucking Caravella.

Zaph

Listening to the bombcast while knowing the news is just bumming me out. Just imagining it without Vinny being there to catch whatever Jeff is putting down, it's horrible :(
Vinny will always be Vinny, east coast or west coast - but not having anyone to bounce off will suck.

Savour this E3 guys, because it'll be a while before the new hires and NY office gets settled.

I don't think so, it's either windowed or windowed borderless.

Didn't know about the delay on the new player though, weird.
Yeah, I knew live scrubbing introduces a delay, but I didn't realise how bad it was until Jeff ran his mixlr during UPF.

Zabant

Come on now folks...

Stop telling others how they should feel.

This situation kinda sucks, if dudes wanna vent, let them. I have no time for the thought police or the hug-box brigade sprinkling sugar and sunshine everywhere and bemoaning anyone with grievances; saying they should be quiet or "re-evaluate their life" like they're some 2 dollar psychiatrist.

It's looking bad for the bomb right now, pretending that it isn't is just denial.

Yeah, it's a bunch of dudes who talk about video games and not exactly a life changing event, but these are obviously passionate fans that are upset that something they love is in dire straights right now. Let them say their bit and leave it at that, bitchin' about it just makes them feel worse.

I made my thoughts clear here >

Well, Vinny gets a pass on anything he wants to do as he's more than earned it.

But let me be clear here, this "giant bomb expansion" is straight up spin-doctor stuff. You don't expand to new cities when you have only 4 (now 3) members working at your main office. Jeff said there are going to be 1-2 hires and it's going to be a long process, not exactly grand plans.

Vinny is leaving because as he put it, the second max was born, everything changed and rightfully so his priorities changed. Jeff talking about making GB a franchise is putting a happy face on what is (in the lens of giant bomb and what it's users want) a bad situation.

They're not dumb; they all feel it, GB isn't what it used to be and in all likelihood won't be like it was ever again.

It's biggest draws (bombcast and live streams) just lost the most popular member and is now looking like a skeleton crew.

Nobody can replace Vinny nor should they try.

This is the start of a bright and happy new future for Vinny and I wish him the world, But in all honesty, it's just another wound in the already injured giant bomb.

Let others say their piece without fear of being lectured how they need to "go take a walk around the block lol" or other such holier-than-thou tripe.

Can't say I can see much upside (for the audience that is, I totally get why Vinny wanted to make the move), but to be honest at this point I'd keep subscribing if Giant Bomb was just Jeff in a dark room.

More than anything I hope Vinny will skype in to the bombcast, even if it's a bit stilted it's a million times better than the alternative. It's the only piece of content I consume every week, and that probably would have changed by now without him.

I'm sure Alex and Vinny will make the best of it (cough endurance run cough), and the new hires are potentially very exciting, so let's see where this goes I guess. I really have no idea what Giant Bomb will look like this time next year.

Eh, I'm not going to Chicken Little just yet. The chronicles of Alex and Vinny setting up shop has a lot of comedic potential in itself. As does the two of them exploring the NY/NJ/PA area. And, I guess contrary to what a bunch of other people seem to have experienced, I think the site has carried on really well over the last year. I do feel that if they legitimately want to do an East Coast office they absolutely need to get Patrick out there, and maybe hire one more person.

The Brad is leaving jokes were a ruse the entire time, not only does Brad never leave, he's the only one that never left.

This is all the manifestation of the karmic residue left by all those "Brad is leaving" jokes.

Giantbomb fans ruined Giantbomb.

You all ruined Giantbomb.

daydream

Banned
Wow. That's certainly some news to wake up to.

Losing Jeff/Vinny on QLs (sports team!), bombcast ads, bombcast proper, streams, etc. is a tragedy, for sure.

I'm happy for Vinny, though, and wish him all the best! I'm sure he'll bring his A game for GBNY.

wPXMf4U.jpg

erawsd

I guess I'm the glass half-full guy.

Clearly, this sounds like a decision that is very important to Vinny and his family... more important than Giantbomb. Meaning that, like Patrick, he can either contribute from the east or not at all. So I'm happy that he's staying on staff and I look forward to what he and Alex can come up with in NY.

I think its ok to be disappointed and even afraid of where the site is headed, I'm sure we all realize that Giantbomb will never be the same again. Whether this new GB is good or bad, thats a decision I'll make when I've actually seen it. I don't understand the need to dismiss it right now.

Zabant

Don't tell others how to feel, but....

Tell others how to feel....

Stifling discussion with an above-it-all attitude and lambasting others for being upset is not the same as ignoring what's obviously going on. But hey, being pedantic is cool too.

I guess I'm the glass half-full guy.

Nothing wrong with being an optimist, wish I could see it that way to be honest. I just resent people telling the glass half-empty types to shut up like their thoughts are somehow lesser.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Considered photoshopping an "I heart NY" shirt, with a giant bomb for a heart, but "I bomb NY" is probably not a great idea.

Brashnir

Stifling discussion with an above-it-all attitude and lambasting others for being upset is not the same as ignoring what's obviously going on. But hey, being pedantic is cool too.

Calling people who don't think this is a bad thing "in denial" is exactly the same thing, only from the other side.

Jokab

I guess this sheds some light on the membership sale these past weekends. Anyway, I'm very sad to see Vinny go and I think GB as a whole will be worse off as a result of the move. As others have already said, expanding to yet another city when you're having trouble holding it down at the main office just seems incredibly silly. Even with the 1-2 new hires that we've heard of, I don't see them making up for the establishing of a new office.

Hey, you obviously have this all figured out, so, don't let me stop your tantrum.

Zabant

Calling people who don't think this is a bad thing "in denial" is exactly the same thing, only from the other side.

Didn't say that, I stated that right now GB is in worse shape than it was in the past and pretending that it isn't is indeed denial.

LCfiner

Man, While I'm happy for Vinny and understand his move back to his family, I can't deny that his interaction with the crew and presence on bombcasts and premium content is a big reason why I go to the site - and became a paid subscriber back when they were at Whiskey.

GB is going to be very different from now on and I'm curious/nervous about who they bring in on the west coast to work with the main crew for editorial. "hey, no pressure new guy you're just gonna be replacing one of GB's best liked members on QLs and the bombcast."

Brashnir

...? That seems identical to what he just posted, what's the difference?

There's a difference between an unequivocal "things are bad" statement and that mealy-mouthed half-measure he tried to pretend it was.

I'm sorry you're unable to tell the difference; the world must be a confusing place to you.

Zabant

that is not, in fact, what you said.

When looking back at the past two years in mind with this news of Vinny leaving the SF offices I would have to say you are in denial if you think things aren't bad right now.

Equating me saying that to the people shitting on others for being glum and basically telling them to get a life is in my opinion a bad thing for discussion.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think everyone just needs to step back for now.

It's a bummer for people who like vinny in the main content but it won't be an unmitigated disaster, and for people who think that all will be peachy it doesn't mean that there won't be rough spots which may or may not be fixed. Too many uncertainties for now.

To take a positive look at this, I'd kinda like east coast GB to now starting rolling and become the main GB. Imagine what it would be like with Vinny at the helm, Patrick (who is the second best guy after Vinny) can roll in regularly, they could hire a few new people and all of a sudden it's Giant Bomb 2.0

Of course, with the new hires in SF this could be a great new era there too, but it's hard to imagine ever loving it as much without Vinny there. Danny is the only person so far to come close to him and he's made it clear he's not leaving GS... plus I feel like there is certain baggage in SF which always taints some of the content now. There are a few hearts which seem not to be in it...

See this is what happens when you make someone play Simon's Quest you guys.

Seriously though, Vinny will be missed. Not that he's disappeared from the atmosphere but as everyone has said many, many times, Vinny and Jeff are the premier combination.

Makes me excited to see who the new hires will be though. And also E3 will now be like some big leaving party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom