• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

On a positive note, I'm excited for more "real" content from Alex. Always thought he was the most underused GB person until Rorie joined. Also, does this mean we'll get some more Rorie on the Bombcast at least till they hire somebody? I honestly can't imagine a three man bombcast with Drew, Brad and Jeff.
You know who'd be good on the Bombcast?

danny o dwyer

Dragon

Banned
This thread has always been a circlejerk of people praising Giantbomb, anyone who has any criticisms, constructive or not, gets jumped upon.

You get jumped upon because you behave like a spoiled brat. Don't generalize everyone based on the fact you can't grow up.

Edit: As far as Vinny moving, I understand the family thing, but am struggling to see how this is going to be better financially. You're moving from probably the most expensive city in the US to the second most. I'm sure public transit is much better in NYC (I've never lived in San Fran). I'm sure CBS is going to be moving him which means he'll at least stay on for a year (based on my experiences with moving expenses).

Honestly the Jeff/Vinny interaction has been the highlight of GB for me and probably always will be, but I think we should all be happy that Vinny is allowed to do something like this and continue with the site.

graboids

Listening to Jeff's thoughts on E3 and the future of games has me kind of less hyped about games, maybe its just the effect of Vinny not being in SF anymore but this was one of the more depressing Bombcasts since.... well, last summer...

I hope that MS and Sony and even Nintendo just are trying to keep as many secrets as possible this year which is why Jeff didnt see much last week. I think on John & Garnett's show last week Simon Cox said that he had only seen one unannounced game at Judges week, there HAS to be more things coming to E3 and they are just not letting them leak this year, right? I hope....

erawsd

Nothing wrong with being an optimist, wish I could see it that way to be honest. I just resent people telling the glass half-empty types to shut up like their thoughts are somehow lesser.

I wouldn't tell anyone to "shut up" about it but I do think that you should wait and see where this goes before deciding that you hate it. We might lose Vinny on the podcast but maybe he joins Bombing the AM, which would get me to listen to it. Maybe the two new pickups will be amazing and more than fill the hole left by Vinny?

Who knows? I don't. You don't. Jeff, Brad, Vinny, and Drew don't. All anyone can do is hope it works out.

Zaph

You get jumped upon because you behave like a spoiled brat. Don't generalize everyone based on the fact you can't grow up.

Edit: As far as Vinny moving, I understand the family thing, but am struggling to see how this is going to be better financially. You're moving from probably the most expensive city in the US to the second most. I'm sure public transit is much better in NYC (I've never lived in San Fran). I'm sure CBS is going to be moving him which means he'll at least stay on for a year (based on my experiences with moving expenses).

Honestly the Jeff/Vinny interaction has been the highlight of GB for me and probably always will be, but I think we should all be happy that Vinny is allowed to do something like this and continue with the site.
He probably wants to buy a house and not be at the mercy of a landlord for the rest of his life. Do you remember Joey, who went with Tested during the split? Last year he tweeted about his landlord tripling the rent one day. SF has gotten really crazy, those protests aren't over nothing - it takes a lot more than tech professionals to run a city.

New York is a lot like London. While the city center is very expensive, there are lots of affordable areas surrounding it with reliable, commutable routes.

Also, frankly I'm surprised that nobody posted a "No wonder they had a membership sale last week!!" theory.
It happened a few pages back. Thankfully the post was glossed over and nobody picked up on it.

I'm optimistic about Vinny leaving for NY. I'll be bummed the day he decides to actually leave GB or when they don't get any good content going but until then I'm optimistic.

+ Whatever they're gonna do/stream is not gonna be on at barbaric times for us Eurodudes.

Draft

Great. Now the Bombcast will be Drew talking for 10 minutes about his yuppie white man weekends, Brad stumbling over spoilers from whatever hot new AAA game he played between DOTA sessions, Jeff being terse with Brad, then emails from kids trying to play dozens with their stupid cities.

Vinny pls.

Zabant

Well, i'll say if there's a site that could survive something like this it's Giant Bomb crew.

i'll also agree that a new endurance run with Vinny and Alex would go a hell of a long way to ease my fears of content produced coming to a crawl.

Vinny never did finish Persona 3 did he?

He probably wants to buy a house and not be at the mercy of a landlord for the rest of his life. Do you remember Joey, who went with Tested during the split? Last year he tweeted about his landlord tripling the rent one day. SF has gotten really crazy, those protests aren't over nothing - it takes a lot more than tech professionals to run a city.

New York is a lot like London. While the city center is very expensive, there are lots of affordable areas surrounding it with reliable, commutable routes.

It happened a few pages back. Thankfully the post was glossed over and nobody picked up on it.

They should all bail on SF and make a fresh start in New York.

I know I know, a man can dream.

Listening to Jeff's thoughts on E3 and the future of games has me kind of less hyped about games, maybe its just the effect of Vinny not being in SF anymore but this was one of the more depressing Bombcasts since.... well, last summer...

I hope that MS and Sony and even Nintendo just are trying to keep as many secrets as possible this year which is why Jeff didnt see much last week. I think on John & Garnett's show last week Simon Cox said that he had only seen one unannounced game at Judges week, there HAS to be more things coming to E3 and they are just not letting them leak this year, right? I hope....

This is why i think it is pre mature to think MS will have a blowout E3 they are just blowing their load early. I do not know about sony though.

demidar

All E3 conferences will end as impotently as Nintendo's fireworks display.

Gaming is dead.

I haven't listened through this week's Bombcast yet, but when Far Cry 4 was announced last week Jeff tweeted that it went straight to the top of his list of games releasing in 2014.. So yeah, either this year's going to be a bit shit or there's a bunch of bombs at E3.

Zabant

Gaming is dead.

Long live gaming!

Overblown multimillion AAA investment gamble-gaming might be on it's way out, but it's making room for smaller riskier titles that can occupy that middle ground that was nowhere to be seen for most of last gen.

I haven't listened through this week's Bombcast yet, but when Far Cry 4 was announced last week Jeff tweeted that it went straight to the top of his list of games releasing in 2014.. So yeah, either this year's going to be a bit shit or there's a bunch of bombs at E3.

This is more indicative of Jeff's tastes than anything else. I love the dude but he was shitting on Red Dead on the bombcast, man is crazy. There's going to be some stellar games this year.

erawsd

I hope so too. I didn't expect anything to be announced at E3 and make it out the door this year besides the "usual suspects" but I was expecting a lot of brand new announcements for next year.

Dragon

Banned

Define affordable. Unless he wants to live in Jersey, I don't see it. LI ain't cheap at all, and forget about any of the other boroughs unless he wants to live way east. You're talking about an easy 500K for a family house in east Queens, at least that's my experience with some of my friends buying over there the past few years. If he does live in East Queens or LI, you're talking about at least 200 dollars a month in MetroCards (and LI you're talking about an additional LIRR pass). It's not my business how much he makes, but it's not affordable to live around the New York Metro area unless you want to take Metro North trains and fuck that noise!

This is more indicative of Jeff's tastes than anything else. I love the dude but he was shitting on Red Dead on the bombcast, man is crazy. There's going to be some stellar games this year.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Come to think of it, a year with Mario Kart, Bayonetta and Super Smash Bros can't be shit. I just don't have much interest in the yearly sequels from the big publishers (like Assassin's Creed), I hope someone's making something new.

Though we'll always have indies.

Zaph

Define affordable. Unless he wants to live in Jersey, I don't see it. LI ain't cheap at all, and forget about any of the other boroughs unless he wants to live way east. You're talking about an easy 500K for a family house in east Queens, at least that's my experience with some of my friends buying over there the past few years. If he does live in East Queens or LI, you're talking about at least 200 dollars a month in MetroCards (and LI you're talking about an additional LIRR pass). It's not my business how much he makes, but it's not affordable to live around the New York Metro area unless you want to take Metro North trains and fuck that noise!
I believe he said North NJ.

Also, for some perspective, 500k USD for a family house is very affordable. That'll barely get you a small flat in SF or London city.

There is a middle ground between massively expensive and some dead nowhere city where 500k buys you a McMansion.

Dragon

Banned
I believe he said North NJ.

Also, for some perspective, 500k USD for a family house is very affordable. That'll barely get you a small flat in SF or London city.

There is a middle ground between massively expensive and some dead nowhere city where 500k buys you a McMansion.

Sorry but no, 500K is not affordable...

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-21%20at%209.45.26%20AM.png

Patryn

One thing is certain: Those new hires are FUCKED.

Like, seriously.

The hate and rage towards them is going to be legendary. I really hope they have a thick skin, because I can see them getting a response that makes the response toward Patrick's hire look downright welcoming.

Myggen

Like, seriously.

The hate and rage towards them is going to be legendary. I really hope they have a thick skin, because I can see them getting a response that makes the response toward Patrick's hire look downright welcoming.

YOU'RE NOT VINNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragon

Banned
No I am perceived to be acting like a spoilt brat because I don't agree with the circlejerk of praise these guys have.

I'm going to give you some Scrubs inspired Dr. Cox advice: No one wants to deal with someone who is incredibly negative all of the fucking time. It's one thing to give constructive criticism, it's another to constantly complain about the supposed dearth of content that you paid for. Seriously, I'm sure you're not a bad dude, but dealing with negativity all the time is just depressing and pointless.

Like, seriously.

THESE GUYS ARE RUINING GIANTBOMB

kingocfs

Wow, just heard about this. Welcome back home, Vinny.

I'm also honestly excited for it. Only time will tell, but if their plans for expanding in NY are earnest and they get some sort of office space to make shit happen, what's the big deal? No more Vinny on the regular Bombcast sucks, by they could easily do two of them now.

Zaph

Sorry but no, 500K is not affordable...

[img ]http://cl.ly/VedI/Screen%20Shot%202014-05-21%20at%209.45.26%20AM.png[/img]

Maybe not for you. But two married professionals? $3k/mo mortgage isn't crazy, probably works out about less than a third of their combined income.

Again, for some perspective, I pay the equivalent of $2k/mo in rent here in London and the flat I want to buy will take that up to 2.5k. That's just me on my own, but living in a major city people expect on average to spend half their salary on rent/mortgage. By no means am I 'rich' nor is my job particularly great.

LegoArmo

The new hires should be fine if they're actually funny and not pompous know-it-alls.

There's been a lot of guests on, and the only ones who seem to get a lot of hate are those that look down on the "nerds in their basements" viewers.

Everyone loves Danny right? They just have to hire people like him, since they can't actually have him on permanently.

Zaph

Everyone loves Danny right? They just have to hire people like him, since they can't actually have him on permanently.
"Hiring people like him" is easier said than done :(

There's a reason CBSi spent a year going to the expense and effort of getting him to SF.

Dragon

Banned
Maybe not for you. But two married professionals? $3k/mo mortgage isn't crazy, probably works out about less than a third of their combined income.

Again, for some perspective, I pay the equivalent of $2k/mo in rent here in London and the flat I want to buy will take that up to 2.5k. That's just me on my own, but living in a major city people expect on average to spend half their salary on rent/mortgage. By no means am I 'rich' nor is my job particularly great.

I don't know how much Vinny makes; it's none of my business. However, there are higher taxes in NYC, you're paying city state and federal. Their combined income would have to be more than 140K for your math to work out. Anyway it's either here nor there, I wouldn't live in either place if I was raising a family but I'm glad Vinny is going to be close to his.

The new hires should be fine if they're actually funny and not pompous know-it-alls.

There's been a lot of guests on, and the only ones who seem to get a lot of hate are those that look down on the "nerds in their basements" viewers.

Is it wrong to start disliking Cards against Humanity because of Max Tempkin?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
"Hiring people like him" is easier said than done :(

There's a reason CBSi spent a year going to the expense and effort of getting him to SF.

Wasn't it because their process was horribly inefficient?

IIRC normally it take 3-6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom