• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Vinny once post a forum post or Tumblr about what a normal work week is for him? If I remember right a huge percent of his week was set up work for others, with really only 20ish% making actual content. Anyone still have access to that - to make sure I am not misremembering.

Vinny without the need to focus on all that - or focus a little bit less on that at least - seems great. He could really make some great stuff in NY

Zebetite

Banned
If (When? When.) The Raid finally happens, Vinny better still be on board to film it.

Did Jeff ever mention what happened to that sealed copy of Magical Chase?

Myggen

Didn't Vinny once post a forum post or Tumblr about what a normal work week is for him? If I remember right a huge percent of his week was set up work for others, with really only 20ish% making actual content. Anyone still have access to that - to make sure I am not misremembering.

Vinny without the need to focus on all that - or focus a little bit less on that at least - seems great. He could really make some great stuff in NY

I think that was on his Tumblr...? And yes, I remember something similar. I'm just gonna say that I understand the doom and gloom coming from some people, just like I understood it when CBSi bought GB. But as long as Vinny's still with GB I have faith that the site's gonna have a great future.

Also, I'd probably subscribe even if it was just Jeff left, talking to a jar all day on Mixlr.

Will

Neo Member
The thing Giant Bomb needs most is new people with high energy. In the past, they've always had a good mix of guys who talk a lot about everything (Ryan, Jeff, Patrick) and quieter guys who kind of pick their spots or wait for the right subject (Brad, Drew). Vinny was always kind of in the middle, but closer to the Ryan/Jeff end than the Brad/Drew end. I felt like the Bombcast needed an infusion of energy ever since Ryan passed, but now without Vinny it's going to be even worse.

The other thing they need is a host. Jeff is not a bad host for podcasts and video content, in fact, he's pretty darn good. I just feel like he's even better when he's not forced to run things and provide structure. Jeff to me is great as the guy who rides shotgun to the host. They will never be able to replace everything Ryan was, but I still hope that this new hire can at least have some of the qualities that made him a great host. Enthusiasm, ability to talk about every subject in the world and knowing when to crack the whip to get things moving.

styl3s

What is the point of this thread?
1. To talk about how much you hate the bombcast
2. To talk about how Giant Bomb is dying (According to GAF, it's been dying for like 5 years)
3. To act super creepy towards the crew
4. To complain about Brad, Patrick and Alex.
5. To complain about how Jeff forces Danny into slave labor and doesn't pay him for his appearances

Haunted

The current Bombcast cover art...

1kFL9L7.jpg

...is depressingly outdated.
P0JvEVM.png

Make it happen.

hamchan

2. To talk about how Giant Bomb is dying (According to GAF, it's been dying for like 5 years)
5. To complain about how Jeff forces Danny into slave labor and doesn't pay him for his appearances

The others all seem accurate but 5 never happened. It was your lack of reading comprehension that you interpreted the conversation that way.

witness

Sad about Vinny leaving. They should have just hired Jeff Fucking Green when they knew this was going to happen. Would have taken the sting out and he's a great podcast host. Jeff and Jeff quick looks would be grand.

Zomba13

Vinny/anyone or anything was my favourite GB set-up for anything (UPF, QL, one off things) and that's not gonna happen anymore. Think I'm gonna stop my premium sub. Only thing I watch from it is UPF and Vinny stuff (Vinnyvania, Demon's/Dark Souls). Unless Vinny starts his own premium thin and as much as I like him I don't think Vinnyvania would work by himself. That stuff is always best when there are other guys there giving tips or chatting amongst themselves while Vinny tries Dracula for the 50th time in the stream.

Then again I'm probably an entitled little shit or something and actually hate GB and just want to shit on them.

hamchan

Vinny/anyone or anything was my favourite GB set-up for anything (UPF, QL, one off things) and that's not gonna happen anymore. Think I'm gonna stop my premium sub. Only thing I watch from it is UPF and Vinny stuff (Vinnyvania, Demon's/Dark Souls). Unless Vinny starts his own premium thin and as much as I like him I don't think Vinnyvania would work by himself. That stuff is always best when there are other guys there giving tips or chatting amongst themselves while Vinny tries Dracula for the 50th time in the stream.

Then again I'm probably an entitled little shit or something and actually hate GB and just want to shit on them.

I really hope they manage to squeeze in one more VinnyVania before he leaves. Do we know how much of Castlevania 2 he has left to complete?

Not even if Alex & Vinny continue vinny vania?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm probably a bit more optimistic than the general tone about how this will all turn out, but I'd be lying if I said I would have even considered the year subscription for a second if I knew about this beforehand. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd have passed on the deal and waited to see how this all turns out before putting in for a year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm probably a bit more optimistic than the general tone about how this will all turn out, but I'd be lying if I said I would have even considered the year subscription for a second if I knew about this beforehand. There's no doubt in my mind that I'd have passed on the deal and waited to see how this all turns out before putting in for a year.

Same, except I had just signed on for 2 years :(

Use that money and get the best possible cross country connection for Bombcasts, please.

Chuck

Still without luck
You know, it's kind of shady they just did a big membership sale then the following week they announce Vinny is bailing.

Volotaire

You know, it's kind of shady they just did a big membership sale then the following week they announce Vinny is bailing.

I wouldn't say so. Among other reasons, part of being a premium subscriber is being able to watch the cumulative content output that Giantbomb has produced.

faridmon

I really don't get the hate for Transistor. I really find the turn-base action strategy to be the best thing about it and I really appreciate the fact that its combat system is deeper than many Action RPGs out there.

The dialogue and the voice acting was grating though!

Wow, just read the news. While I will miss Vinny on the couch in the SF office and his studio antics, he'll still be a part of Giant Bomb. This still feels weird, though. Vinny/Jeff is the best combo, all their videos together are gold. Good luck, small businessman!

Considering it takes like 6 years to get a box of pencils approved with CBSi, I wouldn't expect that anything at Giant Bomb is carefully timed.

DoctorZ

I haven't been liking how GB has been "split" for a while and the news of Vinny leaving SF and expanding NY isn't at all what I want to happen. I understand the conditions to why this happened, but I don't have to like it or support the move. With all the talk about adding more behind the camera people I think we all assumed that it would add to the SF crew, not replace. I expected more onscreen Vinny time due to the addition(s), but this is the opposite of what I feel the message was.

I basically skip all content that isn't from the main SF crew, the exception is content that incorporates any of the SF staff like the Powerbombcast. I just don't enjoy Patrick or Alex's content unless they are interacting with the main SF staff. I just don't find their on camera personalities very entertaining.

My overall fear is that GB expands too fast and we start seeing content get spread around too thin between the different offices. Vinny alludes to it in his post where NY content will substitute for SF content at a point. As a premium subscriber since the start that has only reinforced the feeling that the SF based content is getting thinner and thinner as time goes on and something needs to be done about that.

They need to start pumping out some quality content out of the main SF office if they want premium subscribers to re-up again this year. We've been doing so under blind faith for years, but now there is legitimate concern about what is going to happen to GB going forward and what your money is being spent on. $35-50 aint nothing, to some its a lot of money to be spending on web videos.

hitgirl

Yup, sounds about right

GoodlifeX

With Vinny moving, Drew needs to play more games so that he can add more to the bombcast discussion. I love when he has something to say but it's always non game related it seems.

Khezu

They should ease the news by going back to the dueling endurance run concept, and expand it.

Jeff/Brad
Vinny/Alex
Patrick/Dave(not like he has anything better to do)

Being in 3 separate places would make it less of a hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom