• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

From Jeff's Tumblr:

I’ve been thinking about different ways to change up the podcast for awhile now. It needs a little more than just a new batch of music (which I think Phil is still working on). I wouldn’t want to have someone on Skype for the entire show, because it’s hard to work a person like that into a fast-moving conversation, but maybe it’d make sense to build a segment around an external audio source or something. I’d also like to bring in more guests in the future.

Anyway, if people have big things they want to see out of that podcast or the way it’s presented, lemme know! It’s something I’m thinking about these days.

AColdDay

I just realized that there will never be another Jeff/Vinny Endurance Run :(

I think the only reasonable option at this point is to have Jeff move to NY.

komplanen

I just realized that there will never be another Jeff/Vinny Endurance Run :(

I think the only reasonable option at this point is to have Jeff move to NY.

I have 99.99% abandoned hope of any endurance run happening these days. The 0,01% is if the site seriously tanks then I'm sure they'd do an endurance run to try and salvage things. But as long as they have butter on their bread they won't do it.

With that being said I should add that all the Souls games they did were good series :)

I think Skype has gotten to the point where it's fast and clear enough to work for podcasts (look at My Brother My Brother and Me for example). I think the bombcast being the place where all giant bomb offices convene is a neat idea.

Khezu

I guess they could still do QL's together of online co-op games.

I know Jeff hates Skype with the burning passion of a 1000 suns, but's not too terrible with just 2 people.

Patryn

I actually feel bad for Jeff. He's expressed in the past how difficult it is for him to take vacations, and this could make it even harder.

Even Brad will probably start to think twice about taking a vacation.

Think about the weeks in which he's out or now Brad is out. It's going to be brutal.

I think Skype has gotten to the point where it's fast and clear enough to work for podcasts (look at My Brother My Brother and Me for example). I think the idea of the bombcast being the place where all giant bomb offices convene is a neat idea.

power bombcast is super enjoyable but I can tell that the dialogue takes a hit because of dan/jared/alex being on skype, and others being in studio

I'm with Jeff on thinking Skype is the devil

DoctorZ

power bombcast is super enjoyable but I can tell that the dialogue takes a hit because of dan/jared/alex being on skype, and others being in studio

I'm with Jeff on thinking Skype is the devil

So is the alternative better? As in no Vinny on the Bombcast or him only appearing in a small segment? I'd think any scenario that includes Vinny being on the Bombcast full time outweighs the negatives Skype has. Vinny is just too important to the weekly podcast to have him not be a main part of it because the interaction might be lacking.

I know Jeff doesn't like Skype, but he needs to realize that having Vinny on the podcast is too important to not at least try.

komplanen

Also FYI people who worry about Skype or Google Hangouts should perhaps listen to Player One Podcast. Those guys are all in different parts of NA and do more than just fine :) Of course it might not work for everyone but I don't think it's some kind of worst of the worst idea either. Also Pat and Alex do it twice a week already.

Danielsan

Welp, Vinny leaving the home base makes me sad. Vinny is basically the number on reason I tune in to the bombcast and visit the site...

That said, I'm at least somewhat looking forward to see what him and Alex will cook up.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Also FYI people who worry about Skype or Google Hangouts should perhaps listen to Player One Podcast. Those guys are all in different parts of NA and do more than just fine :) Of course it might not work for everyone but I don't think it's some kind of worst of the worst idea either. Also Pat and Alex do it twice a week already.

It only works if everyone is on Skype.

Purple_Tentacle

Neo Member

If they're going that route they should setup mumble or something to get as little latency as possible. My biggest issue with Skype podcasts is sound quality -- Retronauts is super inconsistent with its levels. I'd like to the think the GB guys could figure that out though.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Are they actually opening an office in NY, or just working from home?

They said on the podcast that they're looking at the options available to them - places CBSi owns where they might be able to get a room or some space.

Curufinwe

If they're going that route they should setup mumble or something to get as little latency as possible. My biggest issue with Skype podcasts is sound quality -- Retronauts is super inconsistent with its levels. I'd like to the think the GB guys could figure that out though.

The CAGcast almost always sounds great and it's recorded in Tokyo, New York and Ohio.

graboids

The Giant Bomb sports coverage team has also broken up.

What a season, what a season...

2634901-whataseason.jpg

its unfortunate but the supply drop streams gives me hope that some new blood can help.

might be time for Alexis and Rorie to step up to the plate along with the new hires.

terrible. Vinny was my main draw for almost everything on the site, he and Jeff seemed to operate on a wavelength that nobody else does with the crew. this definitely means a shift in chemistry on the live shows and bombcast.

best of luck to him though, family is always most important.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, the vibe here seems like people are down on everybody but Vinny, or at least don't have faith in the others. I know it's not exactly the case but some people are louder than others. What I say is, we can't judge a thing until they announce who they hired and we see how they add to things. I just hope they're hiring in NY too.

dejan

Just got to the part in the podcast where they talk about this and you know what ... Vinny's excited, I'm excited. Let's see how this goes.

Home

Raising a kid with your entire family on the other side of the country sounds incredibly difficult, so I'm happy for Vinny moving back east to be with his family.

The Bombcast will suffer a bit but we'll have to see who the new hires are. I would love to see more Rorie or Danny on the podcast as well.

It would be great to have Vinny or Patrick on through skype more often, but I've watched other streams and listened to podcasts where the majority of the participants are in one room together with another being on skype, and most of the time they just end up talking over the other person unintentionally due to the delay.

Breaking Giantbomb Detroit coming soon,

This week on The Detroitcast
Jeff, Zodiac Mother Fucker, and some homeless guy hanging out at the Seven Eleven talk about the real way to eat a steak, sub-prime mortgages, and whether or not Reggie could host Survivor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom