• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorZ

The chances of that happening were basically zero anyways. Jeff's hatred of endurance runs is pretty well known. Not that I blame him at all. Playing a game enough to get a whole week worth of content out of it would be pretty annoying.

At most I could see Jeff checking out Persona 5 in a quick look, maybe doing a premium thing by himself like Load our Last Souls or Vinnyvania.

Vinny could also do something similar from New York. But, I'm willing to bet my premium membership that they will never do a piece of content labeled "Endurance Run" ever again.

I never really understood why when people ask for an endurance run the assumption is that it has to be a video-a-day feature. I'd be perfectly happy if it was a weekly, or even bi-weekly feature similar to Breaking Brad. Breaking Brad is basically an endurance run whether Jeff would call it that or not. I think an endurance run that was a 30-60 minute video each week would satisfy most people and give them a guaranteed piece of content for possibly a few months or even a year if they intentionally pick a very long game.

I always got the feeling they felt bad about about the Persona 4 ER. When people were telling them to do Catherine before it came out, Jeff said "We're not in the business of spoiling Atlus games so you don't buy them."

I've seen some Atlus USA employees here on GAF express annoyance with the ER, too. I guess they feel it cost them more sales than it got them. Plus, if you only watch the first few episodes, Jeff and Vinny have a very "Man, JRPGs, am I right?" attitude that, if you didn't see them coming around to liking it, are probably pretty annoying to people who dedicated themselves to working on it and are huge fans that are proud of it.

Dug

Banned
Just saw that...

t55T5wa.png

Might as well go light myself on fire now.
Giant Bomb is over!

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I always got the feeling they felt bad about about the Persona 4 ER. When people were telling them to do Catherine before it came out, Jeff said "We're not in the business of spoiling Atlus games so you don't buy them."

I've seen some Atlus USA employees here on GAF express annoyance with the ER, too. I guess they feel it cost them more sales than it got them. Plus, if you only watch the first few episodes, Jeff and Vinny have a very "Man, JRPGs, am I right?" attitude that, if you didn't see them coming around to liking it, are probably pretty annoying to people who dedicated themselves to working on it and are huge fans that are proud of it.

Fuck those asshole employees. They were lucky to have their game be promoted. I own PS4G mostly because of watching the old ER. People that work in the industry are so fucking entitled.

I've seen some Atlus USA employees here on GAF express annoyance with the ER, too. I guess they feel it cost them more sales than it got them.

Even if this is true (I doubt it), awareness regarding the overall Persona franchise in the US has got to have improved for it. Plus they don't half reference it a lot if they did hate it.

Fuck those asshole employees. They were lucky to have their game be promoted. I own PS4G mostly because of watching the old ER. People that work in the industry are so fucking entitled.

I don't think anyone actively tried to stamp it out. They're well within their rights to not like the video series.

Even if this is true (I doubt it), awareness regarding the overall Persona franchise in the US has got to have improved for it. Plus they don't half reference it a lot if they did hate it.

I know at least 11 people off the top of my head (in the real life) who have gotten into persona solely because of the ER. Some just bought 4 and went through it themselves, but some have gone and played all of the games and that fighter and all sorts of crazy shit. They're all looking forward to five.

I don't believe there is any rational Atlus employee who would be mad at them.

At the time maybe, but now? I don't think so. I think it's only helped the brand.

I mean, I kind of get it. The first Persona 4 ER was in February 2009 while the game came out two months prior. It was a full playthrough on a professional gaming site of a game whose main selling point was the story and character writing and all for free.. I had, at the time, definitely seen people celebrating that they didn't have to buy the game because entertaining people were playing it for them.

If it was my product, I don't know how I'd feel.

Jintor

I mean, I kind of get it. The first Persona 4 ER was in February 2009 while the game came out two months prior. It was a full playthrough on a professional gaming site of a game whose main selling point was the story and character writing and all for free.. I had, at the time, definitely seen people celebrating that they didn't have to buy the game because entertaining people were playing it for them.

In those days it might've been irritating. But now with Youtube and Twitch everyone is doing this all the time so lol whateverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

RE_Player

I've seen some Atlus USA employees here on GAF express annoyance with the ER, too. I guess they feel it cost them more sales than it got them.
Well I can say with good authority that if they never did the Endurance Run I would have never been introduced to the Persona series. I've bought multiple entries, multiple times brand new because of the interest that Endurance Run sparked in me. Same with Deadly Premonition and Swery.

Lijik

i vaguely remember an atlus employee not liking the ER and bemoaning the onslaught of "Why isnt he named Charlie Tunoku in [p4 spinoff]?" emails it brought on

i vaguely remember an atlus employee not liking the ER and bemoaning the onslaught of "Why isnt he named Charlie Tunoku in [p4 spinoff]?" emails it brought on

As with most Giant Bomb things, there's a fair share of unapologetically clueless fans, yes. :/

I think they probably shouldn't do it again for those reasons, but Let's Play being the unstoppable behemoth that it is, I would have just assumed that long since its conclusion, most Atlus USA employees would have come round to the generally accepted affects of video LPs on game sales (even ones that trade heavily on their script) as "not a lot, surprisingly".

At the time? Yeah, it probably came off as a bit dodgy to some. 2009 was a different environment. I get it then, if not really now.

I think the e-mails begging them to play Catherine because people didn't want to buy it, and explained to them as much, probably lead to Jeff kind of hating Endurance Runs. Simply because it's a reality that people play through story-based games for other people completely doesn't mean he wants to contribute on a regular schedule.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Considering Atlus sent out an Atlus faithful e-mail for the last day of the ER with a link to the site, I'm pretty sure the Atlus gaf employees are in the minority on not liking the ER.

FluxWaveZ

I only recall NichM expressing his disdain for the Giant Bomb Endurance Run as he didn't realize that Jeff and Vinny came around to Persona 4 after playing it for a bit. But yeah, I think most Atlus USA employees I've seen refer to it in the past have done so positively.

I'm one of the several who got into Persona because of the Endurance Run. I don't think its value for making people aware of the series in North America should be dismissed completely.

In any case, there never was going to be an Endurance Run surpassing the original (in my opinion). It was just too perfect, in terms of where Giant Bomb was at the time and in terms of where Persona was as a brand at the time. It was a new feature, a highly appropriate game for said feature, full of a fledgling fanbase who were excited to experience the game on a daily basis alongside the ones who were playing it, who were also noticeably excited to play it.

That just can't be replicated.

I played Persona 4 for about 4 hours, gave up, Then watched the ER to completion, Played the game to completion, bought Golden and played it compilation.

That ER sure did a lot of harm!

chogidogs

I remember one Atlus employee getting furious at people on the Persona Arena thread for calling the protagonist Charlie Tunoku. It was pretty funny. The ER fans even won him over eventually.

Zomba13

I bought P4 because of the ER (watched a few hours of the ER, bought the game, went through it, watched the rest of the ER) and then bought P3FES because of loving P4.

jgminto

I honestly feel DP was a better endurance run. It was just funnier to me.

I still haven't watched the Deadly Premonition ERs. I feel like since I have played through the game so many times and know so much about it I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. Kinda like the Chrono Trigger ER for some people.

Zomba13

The only thing the ER painted in a bad light were things in the game that aren't that great. Things like random abilities transferring during fusion resulting in you going into and backing out of it multiple times to get the right combo. The ER was very favourable. The guys were into the story and the characters and were having fun for the most part. I guess them pointing out and laughing at/about the absurdities of the story and characters and dungeons and calling their character Charlie Tunoku is painting the game in a bad light though because Persona needs to be super serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom