• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the connection is real-time and low-latency, I don't see how the dynamics can be altered really. Do they emote a lot while talking that they need to see each other perhaps? In any case, I think the alternative of a bombcast without Vinny (and Patrick and Alex) is the worse option.

A lot of communication is body language. You lose a ton of that if you have 3 people in a room and then a person just on skype. It's harder to play off each other when you're not physically present. Subtle stuff like a person leaning into the mic so you know they're going to speak, or body language that you can't pick up on.

When the majority of the group are sitting around a table and talking, the one person who's talking via Skype talks less, just because he's not there. The simple fact that he's not present physically makes him participate less. Look at the times when Alex was in the podcast by chiming in via Skype in the end-of-the-year deliberations; he was not participating all that much.

demidar

When the majority of the group are sitting around a table and talking, the one person who's talking via Skype talks less, just because he's not there. The simple fact that he's not present physically makes him participate less. Look at the times when Alex was in the podcast by chiming in via Skype in the end-of-the-year deliberations; he was not participating all that much.

Agreed. There's a lot of subtlety lost when you can't directly look at a single person and make idiotic faces. Serious. Body language also counts and rapid-fire rapport is lost.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Im just going to say it, I dont like Rorie. I think his obsession with dogs is strange, its even stranger that he broadcasts it. I dont think hes funny. The whole " you're a....." thing isnt funny, and its ALWAYS forced. He doesnt listen either, as you pointed out. The podcast would be worse off if he was there. Hell, the video stuff he is on is worse because he is on it

Agree with you 100%. Not a fan of Rorie, hes honestly really irritating at times on UPF and doesn't really add much in any way. Really hope hes not the new addition to the podcast. Would be the worst possible guy to replace Vinny with.

rookiejet

A lot of communication is body language. You lose a ton of that if you have 3 people in a room and then a person just on skype. It's harder to play off each other when you're not physically present. Subtle stuff like a person leaning into the mic so you know they're going to speak, or body language that you can't pick up on.

Very good points. And I suppose it is a matter of feeling, and if they feel that it doesn't work then that would be the resultant actuality if they tried. I still think it's too perfectionistic, and getting in the way of something that maybe would be good enough. It's not like they have perfect flow now anyways. *shrugs*

Brashnir

If the last few days around here have reminded me, Vinny sure is popular.

And as all good duders know, popularity leads to intimacy.

Intimacy has been known to lead to children,

And children have been known to lead people to move closer to their families.

So you see, if you like Vinny, you're personally responsible for this. That's just science.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
danny really should have been a giant bomb hire, but he was brought in to add some flavour to gamespot.

he's kind of wasted there, really. he's one of the few bombcast guests that felt like they could have been there from the very start. real natural fit with the rest of the crew.
He's kind of the face of several shows on Gamespot, especiall The Lobby, which I guess is their biggest weekly show.

Tan

So you see, if you like Vinny, you're personally responsible for this. That's just science.

...huh. That actually checks out.

Lay off that columbian white Morooka.

Mr. F

Banned
It's obvious, Vinny leaving is all just a ploy hatched by Muir to distract everyone and secure his rightful seat as The True Brad on the giant bombcast in the midst of the hiring and departure confusion. Duh.

Aerocrane

I just caught up to the newest episode of Alt+F1 and they totally answered my question in which I asked which of the current season liveries is their favourite. They've got good taste, the Williams Martini Racing livery is the best. I've missed out on Bombcasts for a bit over a month now, have there been any guests or anything that would make it worthwhile to go back and listen to the ones I missed?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
In terms of quality of discussion, it already is. All it needs is that humour, which Vinny will definitely bring.

Plus two 1 hour episodes a week is the superior format.

I couldn't disagree more. Bombin is alright but I also don't find it very interessting. It feels bland to me, which isn't helped by the fact that they are not in the same room. There just isn't any chemistry imho. Also since I listen to the bombcast on my way to work, I literally have no use for a podcast on friday :p

That story is insane. Literally. What a little fucking maniac.

I wonder if they'll try out the affluenza defense again.

Well, the guy shot himself so I can't imagine there will be a trial. Its also becoming known that he had some emotional/mental issues as well.

I just caught up to the newest episode of Alt+F1 and they totally answered my question in which I asked which of the current season liveries is their favourite. They've got good taste, the Williams Martini Racing livery is the best. I've missed out on Bombcasts for a bit over a month now, have there been any guests or anything that would make it worthwhile to go back and listen to the ones I missed?

I really enjoyed the last two, Greg and Danny were on two weeks ago and it was fantastic, Greg is really insightful. The most recent one has a story that had me in tears.

I don't remember any further back than that I'm afraid.

Scrappy

Neo Member
Rorie definitely needs to be used more for that sort of thing. He seems to have settled in now, and with the community knowing him more i think he's ready for his own personal segment/article on something that isn't just a normal "review/news piece".

Ramblin' Rorie (which were Rorie's "Jar" videos that were posted on Screened) used to be great watches. The shows really lived up to his name, and I personally ended up buying loads of books and DVD/Blu-Ray he recommended on that show.

Pity he does not do them anymore - as a pure Rorie stream of consciousness is a great thing to behold.

Also, I think those videos are now lost forever due to BermanBraun been huge dicks. :/

kai3345

Banned
P0JvEVM.png

the only suitable replacement

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just hit episode 149 of the Person 4 endurance run. I've been slowly making my way through this since late-2013. I have half a mind to just marathon the last few episodes.

Is the Deadly Premonition endurance run half as good as this?

Qblivion

I just hit episode 149 of the Person 4 endurance run. I've been slowly making my way through this since late-2013. I have half a mind to just marathon the last few episodes.

There are longer stretches of boring, but the good bits are just as good.

Tan

I'd say it's worth watching. There are some great moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom