• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
I can't find any confirmation of this... perhaps I was mistaken. :(.

There's plenty confirmation if just google 'Gang Beasts 10 players'.

They have already demoed that mode on conventions, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't make it into the final game (as they initially planned).

Brashnir

There's plenty confirmation if just google 'Gang Beasts 10 players'.

They have already demoed that mode on conventions, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't make it into the final game (as they initially planned).

I meant confirmation that it was already in the currently available build.

Myggen

so what is ryan macdonald up to these days?

Still at Gamespot.

According to Jeff:

He sits about 150 feet away from me. As I understand it his job primarily concerns barking into his oversized tablet phone about what sort of internet speed his guys need at whatever eSports tournament they’re broadcasting next.

edit: Or he works for CBS now, not GS? Whatever, he's in the same building at least!

Volotaire

Each show would start with him telling you how great the podcast will be and end with him apologizing for not meeting the lofty expectations set at the beginning.

Kim-Jong-un.gif

Does this Watch Dogs quick look get any better? Im about 20 minutes in and Jeff is just so devoid of enthusiasm or even just interest that I feel like im not getting a proper opinion on the game.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The game looks how the guys feel while they're showing it. Quick looks are always great when there is something for the guys to latch on to. So it shows how it feels.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
LOL... Didn't know the hacker lady in WD is from Québec... She says a "Câlisse" at some point during the quicklook.

I noticed her accent got a lot more french when she was speaking to aiden outside of a cutscene, through his ear piece or however he's listening to her.

I agree, he just sounds disengaged, he's phoning it in but Brad and Vinny seem interested.

Jeff reviewed it as well and he gave it only a passing 3 out of 5. However the text of the review sounded more like a 2 out of 5. Which is fine. Just might add detail to why the quick look sounded like a chore.

Dany

Banned
The game looks boring. Ignoring the commentary it is boring. With the QL commentary they are all kinda meh on it. THey'll play it but there doesn't seem to be a lot of excitement over it. There really isn't a lot exciting about it.

Myggen

Yeah I think I worded that post poorly. Its just like he's got no interest in showing off the game at all, good or bad.

I don't really know what more you can do than play the game. They did some side stuff, a main mission etc. Jeff just didn't like the game much. The worst QLs are always of games that they just find mediocre and boring, and I think this was one of those games (for Jeff at least).

Patryn

I don't really know what more you can do than play the game. They did some side stuff, a main mission etc. Jeff just didn't like the game much. The worst QLs are always of games that they just find mediocre and boring, and I think this was one of those games (for Jeff at least).

Yeah. If you don't hate a game or you don't like or love it, it's hard to conjure any emotion. There's nothing there to really mock, but also nothing much to really praise, so the whole thing comes off sounding flat.

Having played about the first hour or so of Watch Dogs, basically up to where the Quick Look starts, I'm with Jeff, there just really isn't much to it that's exciting or interesting.

Megasoum

Banned
I really don't know what you guys expected out of Watch_Dogs... It's one of the Ubisoft cookie cutter open world games. They've been doing the exact same game in different settings for years (all the AC/FC and now WD games).

If you like that kind of game then great, if you don't then skip. There's nothing surprising about WD.

I really don't know what you guys expected out of Watch_Dogs... It's one of the Ubisoft cookie cutter open world games. They've been doing the exact same game in different settings for years (all the AC/FC and now WD games).

If you like that kind of game then great, if you don't then skip. There's not surprising about WD.

i guess i was expecting more deus ex (slick cyberpunk vibes) and less soulless GTA-clone. holy hell does it look boring.

Xyrmellon

To contrast, look at Jeff's enthusiasm to Far Cry 3 . Now the game ends like he feared, that it wasn't self-aware, so his opinions probably have changed but this shows that Jeff still gets excited about games.

Xater

To contrast, look at Jeff's enthusiasm to Far Cry 3 . Now the game ends like he feared, that it wasn't self-aware, so his opinions probably have changed but this shows that Jeff still gets excited about games.

I liked Far Cry 3 more than any other Ubisoft open world effort. While it also has some of the same trapping son a mechanical level it's a much more sound game.

Myggen

I feel like they haven't been excited for much since Ryan passed. Admittedly, I'm just a casual viewer of GB content, but ever since then everyone just seems bored and disinterested for the most part.

As a more than casual viewer of GB contet with a Jeff Gertstmann avatar, I have to say that I disagree. I don't see that at all. People need to remember that GB has never been FUCK YEAH VIDEO GAMES!!!!!!!! all the time. A lot of people have forgotten that a common complaint against Ryan (in this thread too) in 2011/2012 was that he didn't play enough games anymore etc. I generally do not think they've become less enthustiastic about video games this last year.

And Jeff has been accused of being jaded/cynical/whatever for years now. I personally don't think he has become more jaded these last couple of years, it's just that he hasn't really liked many of the games of 2014 so far. So people will naturally jump to the conclusion that he hates everything or whatever. There's also the fact that he becomes enthustiastic about the weirdest shit sometimes, watch that recent roguelike FPS QL for one example of that.

Teeth

Saying Far Cry 3 isn't self aware because it doesn't literally turn towards the camera and wink at you doesn't mean that it isn't self aware.

I'm not totally on board with the idea that we all get to think of ourselves as smarter and more cultured than the devs because they didn't blatantly reveal their themes (though i thought they pretty blatantly pointed towards the satire/all of this is a hallucination of your power fantasy/drugs drugs drugs theme myself).

82 is divisive? Maybe if it were like at 75 or something.

Even 75 shouldn't really be deemed divisive.

I'm with Jeff on this one though, the game looked dull as dull balls. Only letting Vinny loose on it would have made for a good quick look, but then I guess people would be complaining that they're not actually covering the game.

scaffa

Jeff lacks so much enthusiasm these days.

Maybe time for a break?

I think the level of enthusiasm shown is perfectly fine. The quicklook was perfect, showcasing different mechanics and whenever something looked ok/cool they mentioned it. I rather have this then people hyping it up so that in the end it falls on its ass and its not so great altogether.

Maybe im ok with it since I often have the same level of enthusiasm. I appreciate it when you can take a step back and just well don't get yourself to excited for a product that still has to come out or when you havent seen everything yet. For example with WD the hacking looks cool but I wonder if that stays cool throughout the game.

When I was younger I was way more excited about new games but now thats completely a different story.

Does this Watch Dogs quick look get any better? Im about 20 minutes in and Jeff is just so devoid of enthusiasm or even just interest that I feel like im not getting a proper opinion on the game.

the game itself looks boring as fuck.

best part of that QL was the player invasion where he/she was driving around like a fucking lunatic while trying to run over Jeff (the soda machine bait was a close second)

I'm with Jeff on this one though, the game looked dull as dull balls. Only letting Vinny loose on it would have made for a good quick look, but then I guess people would be complaining that they're not actually covering the game.

Watch_Dogs lets you do what Ubisoft wants you to do, so I'm not sure how interesting Vinny could make it.

Case in point.

Mabef

Banned
82 is divisive? Maybe if it were like at 75 or something.
You guys are silly. 82 is the average. It couldn't be more impossible to determine if a game's reviews are divisive via the average. What you're looking for is the range/distribution.

Giant Bomb quick looks come across and flat and boring every damn week, the only difference with this quick look is it's of a game with infinite marketing behind it.

Maybe it's just my personal preference, but I have no idea why ACIV was so lavished with praise when it came out, it even made the GB GOTY top 10 over GTAV...

I think WD is a lot better than ACIV. I've only played 2 hours and I'm already enjoying myself quite a bit more. Some of that may just be due to personal preference in setting, but so far I've done more varied missions and have had actual enjoyment from side missions and multiplayer. Hacking and profiling people without them knowing, then going crazy looking for you is quite amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom