• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Here's the problem (for me) with finding someone for the Bombcast.

For me the Bombcast wasn't about games. Sure, it's tangentially about games, but it was mainly a personality driven podcast for me. It had a perfect balance when it was Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny. Three funny guys and one straight man. It was mainly comedy with a splash of gaming.

There are tons of dry, analytical gaming podcasts around. That's fine if that's what you want, but it's not why I tuned into the Bombcast.

When Patrick was added it threw the balance off, suddenly we had two straight guys and the podcast suffered for it. Too often I found myself getting bored with the lengthy dry discussion. With Ryan's passing the balance was tipped even further. Patrick leaving and being replaced by Drew helped because Drew was quiet and rarely interjected, so it kind of tipped back into the more comedy less serious discussion side of things.

So that leads to where we are now. I've watched some of Zoe's stuff on the web to see what she's like, and while she seems quite nice and intelligent (much like Patrick), she seems to fall more on the pedantic side of the fence. We need a Dave Lang type to fill Vinny's shoes, someone as funny as Jeff to balance out the podcast. I fear if they get someone more like Patrick that the podcast will be dry and ultimately uninteresting.

Here's hoping they find someone that's a perfect fit.

Oh, I completely agree with this. It's why I don't find the Patrick/Alex podcast all that interesting... yet I have no problems with the Alex wrestling podcast.

---

Also, that cop chase mission in the QL... it looks like such a pain in the ass. lol

I can't see them hiring Zoe or Ashley or anyone who has a lot of recognition behind their name, honestly. They're much better off hiring someone who has solid editorial experience and can grow into the role in front of the camera and not bring a bunch of baggage with it that someone like Zoe has. I'm not saying it should be someone with no experience at all, but I can't imagine wanting to hire someone that is already an established "personality."

Zaph

With the amount of people here thinking Zoe is a serious contender, I'm starting to think we're visiting two different Giant Bomb's.

I'm sure she's a nice enough person, but do you think Jeff would hire someone with almost zero editorial experience and camera presence? And trust that person would be happy to completely give up the thing they've been doing for years in favour of editorial? All because Patrick did a couple things with her?

A site this tiny can't afford the experiment she would be.

The new hire will probably be someone who's reletivly new to the industry, had a couple junior editorial roles, and a few of us will probably go "oh, that guy".

Kerned

Banned
With the amount of people here thinking Zoe is a serious contender, I'm starting to think we're visiting two different Giant Bomb's.

I'm sure she's a nice enough person, but do you think Jeff would hire someone with almost zero editorial experience and camera presence? And trust that person would be happy to completely give up the thing they've been doing for years in favour of editorial? All because Patrick did a couple things with her?

A site this tiny can't afford the experiment she would be.

The new hire will probably be someone who's reletivly new to the industry, had a couple junior editorial roles, and a few of us will probably go "oh, that guy".

Yeah, Zoe getting the job would be a big surprise. I actually like her, and I've enjoyed the very few interactions that we've seen between her and the rest of the crew, but I just don't see how she's qualified for the job.

Patryn

What if they announce the new hires tonight at Vinnys Pizza Party?

I suspect that they won't be announced until after E3. Probably shortly after E3, though.

Personally, I think the best way to introduce them while also simultaneously throwing them into the deep end of the pool is to have a livestream where they announce the hires and have the new people play some of their favorite games to help the audience get a handle on who these people are and what sort of games they like.

hwy_61

Banned
I suspect that they won't be announced until after E3. Probably shortly after E3, though.

Personally, I think the best way to introduce them while also simultaneously throwing them into the deep end of the pool is to have a livestream where they announce the hires and have the new people play some of their favorite games to help the audience get a handle on who these people are and what sort of games they like.

Either way the new hires will face a shitstorm of human mouth filth. I agree with your approach though.

Weird choice to record the Watch Dogs quick look when Jeff was only like two hours in. Obviously it avoids spoiling later story stuff, but watching Jeff's, like, half-formed opinions seems kinda irrelevant/outdated when I've got the final review in another tab.

Patryn

Weird choice to record the Watch Dogs quick look when Jeff was only like two hours in. Obviously it avoids spoiling later story stuff, but watching Jeff's, like, half-formed opinions seems kinda irrelevant/outdated when I've got the final review in another tab.

Probably a result of the Memorial Day weekend. Couldn't film it yesterday because it was a holiday and nobody was in the office.

And likely for hits/relevance, they'd want it up right away, especially in light of how most of today will be spent doing the Vinny Pizza Party livestream.

If they could convince a developer to leave their job to join GB, i would prefer it be Dave Lang rather than Zoe Quinn. Lang Zone quick looks would be awesome.

I hope they keep with someone older. GB has resonated with me because it's like my alternate reality. I went to E3 in 1999 with the thought of becoming a games journalist and had a startup magazine I was going to help form. Magazine idea died out, if we were smart, we'd have jumped into online, and I still had another couple years of school, but, a GB-like future could have been there for a short time.

Jeff's a little older than me, I think Brad is a little younger. I don't think youth=enthusiasm, I like how GB has people who have been through shit. I hope that continues w/ the new one.

Watch Dogs looks like Assassin's Creed mixed with Sleeping Dogs (minus the charm), and its main_mechanic is WAITING! Very ill-conceived.

Watch Dogs |OT| The Waiting Game

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I appreciate not filling a hacking themed game with hacking minigames, but not when it just translates to waiting around for stuff to complete.

Haunted

Is the driving in Watch Dogs terrible or does Jeff suck?

36518690.jpg

Also, you know why Danny is the best? Because he tweets cool shit like this. Amiga 4 lyfe.

Natiko

Banned
Considering Vinny is the best personality on the website (Jeff has become a depressed cynic, Brad sleeps through half of everything, Drew is cool but usually quiet) I don't see how anyone they could possibly hire will fill that void.

Considering Vinny is the best personality on the website (Jeff has become a depressed cynic, Brad sleeps through half of everything, Drew is cool but usually quiet) I don't see how anyone they could possibly hire will fill that void.

Through the almighty power of hyperbole, I'm certain there is someone out there capable of filling the V-void.

#HireODwyer

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
"If you are a sledgehammer, than do what you are supposed to do. Tear down this house of cards, and build something new."

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

That was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom