• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's just my personal preference, but I have no idea why ACIV was so lavished with praise when it came out, it even made the GB GOTY top 10 over GTAV...

I think WD is a lot better than ACIV. I've only played 2 hours and I'm already enjoying myself quite a bit more. Some of that may just be due to personal preference in setting, but so far I've done more varied missions and have had actual enjoyment from side missions and multiplayer. Hacking and profiling people without them knowing, then going crazy looking for you is quite amusing.
*shrug* I thought they justified their enjoyment of it when talking about it.

yatesl

Maybe it's just my personal preference, but I have no idea why ACIV was so lavished with praise when it came out, it even made the GB GOTY top 10 over GTAV...

I think WD is a lot better than ACIV. I've only played 2 hours and I'm already enjoying myself quite a bit more. Some of that may just be due to personal preference in setting, but so far I've done more varied missions and have had actual enjoyment from side missions and multiplayer. Hacking and profiling people without them knowing, then going crazy looking for you is quite amusing.

So far I've enjoyed AC4 much more. I found the Pirates of the Caribbean setting more fun, vs GTA with hacking.

Myggen

Hope we get an F1 podcast today, I've really been getting into it the last couple of races thanks to Danny and Drew

Doubt it. Memorial day yesterday, and Drew will be busy with recording the Bombcast and doing the liveshow today. I'm gonna guess that we'll get a new Alt+F1 tomorrow :)

scoobs

Jeff lacks so much enthusiasm these days.

Maybe time for a break?

Having listened to him on the bombcast in the last few months I'd tend to agree. He doesn't seem excited about anything anymore. He's got a very pessimistic view on games now which is a big time bummer cuz hes the host of my favorite podcast :-(

Dany

Banned
Jeff is a realist. He doesn't give two hoots about the hype machine or pumping out fluff articles for hits. So he doesn't have to fake it. Meh.

So far I've enjoyed AC4 much more. I found the Pirates of the Caribbean setting more fun, vs GTA with hacking.

I enjoyed the settings of both, but the gameplay in ACIV bored me, so maybe it was just personal preference. I dunno, ship combat got boring fast for me, and ACIV's "stealth" sections were so bad, those mechanics have always been at odds with the core engine mechanics in my opinion. WD can do stealth a lot better, at least so far I haven't come across anything annoying yet. In general the missions in ACIV were almost entirely forgettable for me. I guess I'll see if WD holds up once I finish it. So far though, I'm enjoying WD more.

yatesl

I enjoyed the settings of both, but the gameplay in ACIV bored me, so maybe it was just personal preference. I dunno, ship combat got boring fast for me, and ACIV's "stealth" sections were so bad, those mechanics have always been at odds with the core engine mechanics in my opinion. WD can do stealth a lot better, at least so far I haven't come across anything annoying yet. In general the missions in ACIV were almost entirely forgettable for me. I guess I'll see if WD holds up once I finish it. So far though, I'm enjoying WD more.

Fair enough. At this point, I find all Ubi's AAA titles very similar in terms of gameplay (obviously ignoring Far Cry's FPS), with the same level of enjoyment (admittedly lower and lower) - so for me it's more about the setting now.

I enjoyed Far Cry 3 the most.

Patryn

The podcast will probably be up late since they had the day off yesterday.

Probably will also be a shorter one. I'm guessing they're recording it now (in the morning), and need to be done in time for Vinny's Pizza Party (which is probably also partially scheduled so they could record through lunch).

Phatmac

Glad I didn't get Watch Dogs. I feel asleep while watching the QL. Big bummer from the initial E3 reveal but not too surprising.

Zaph

W9BOBhU.png

On the plus side, we might get more solo-Vinny content like this: Coffee, Kids and Games.

sneaky77

I don't think Jeff is a pessimist or even all that jaded, he just tends to be even in his voice and doesn't buy into the marketing hype like some other podcasters do

Watch Dogs doesn't look the best and I know people on NeoGAF will likely hate it a bit more because of the crazy over indulgent hype machine but I kinda enjoy busywork collectathon games. They're really relaxing. It's a pity moving around the world looks boring as fuck though.

Patryn

I don't think Jeff is a pessimist or even all that jaded, he just tends to be even in his voice and doesn't buy into the marketing hype like some other podcasters do

Jeff likes the stuff that he likes. It's just that if you look back at things, the last couple of years in gaming have been a little rough.

He doesn't like the Souls games. He recently talked on the podcast about how he wasn't a huge Uncharted fan (although he respected that it was a good game), so that combined with all the timing issues explains why he wasn't super into The Last of Us.

Myggen

Wait, I thought the Pizza Party would be the very first GB East production.

Vinny is still in SF! The first GB East production will probably be right after E3 is done. He's travelling by car to NY with his family, and then more or less directly by plane to E3 :)

edit: Also, bummer that I won't be able to watch the Pizza stream live. Been at work for about 16 hours now and it's 10 pm here and I think I'm dying.

Jeff likes the stuff that he likes. It's just that if you look back at things, the last couple of years in gaming have been a little rough.

He doesn't like the Souls games. He recently talked on the podcast about how he wasn't a huge Uncharted fan (although he respected that it was a good game), so that combined with all the timing issues explains why he wasn't super into The Last of Us.

He also pretty much hate everything about zombies, so a game with zombies will have to do a bit more to convince him (like the Dead Rising series, TWD).

Megasoum

Banned
Vinny is still in SF! The first GB East production will probably be right after E3 is done. He's travelling by car to NY with his family, and then more or less directly by plane to E3 :)

edit: Also, bummer that I won't be able to watch the Pizza stream live. Been at work for about 16 hours now and it's 10 pm here and I think I'm dying.

It took them almost 2 years to get setup in the CBSi offices, I wouldn't expect Vinny content for at least a couple of weeks past E3.

What if Luke Smith is getting bored of making games?

Luke plus Jeff Green as the two new hires would be great.
First you have two personalities who have podcasting pedigree
Plus you add years of experience working in games studios - something GBs core has always lacked, a first-hand knowledge of 'in the trenches' game production.
Plus those two already have a good rapport from the Legendary Thread days.

I wouldn't bet a cent on it, but it could be a good look.

Myggen

It took them almost 2 years to get setup in the CBSi offices, I wouldn't expect Vinny content for at least a couple of weeks past E3.

I'm more talking about some "mailbag style" type content with Vinny filming what they're doing in the beginning, filming Alex in NY (like he suggested on Twitter) or something similar. I'm sure we'll get something like that pretty soon after E3. I doubt they'll go completely silent for weeks!

AND AN ENDURANCE RUN??????????????

rObit

Banned
Luke plus Jeff Green as the two new hires would be great.
First you have two personalities who have podcasting pedigree
Plus you add years of experience working in games studios - something GBs core has always lacked, a first-hand knowledge of 'in the trenches' game production.
Plus those two already have a good rapport from the Legendary Thread days.

I wouldn't bet a cent on it, but it could be a good look.

Yeah I wouldn't bet on Smith either. I was just trying to think of people who would be a good fit there, and Luke is easily one of my favorite podcast personalities.

Tamanon

Banned
Watching Jeff struggle with his first gang hideout reminded me of my first failed few tries. It's definitely not a game you can get through just guns blazing, at least that early. Need a lot more recon.

Haunted

Pointing out Jeff's lack of enthusiasm about Watch Dogs brings up an interesting point, actually.

They've gone away from Gamespot's "we must review every game that comes out" strategy of old - so if that's the case, they maybe should've just ignored Watch Dogs altogether? There's definitely an element of going through the motions in their coverage of the game. It's the thing to do as a gaming outlet in May 2014, you cover Watch Dogs. It has a huge marketing campaign, it is Ubisoft's big game for the summer. You talk about that big game that Ubisoft is pushing out now with this big marketing campaign, because.... well, why, exactly?

Is it because you think that's what your audience wants to see? everyone's talking about Watch Dogs this week... there are features going up on every big site. IGN's covering it, Gamespot has made videos about it, Polygon wrote theirs... just, why? Because it's an amazing game? Or because Ubisoft is talking about it and pushing it, and so must everyone else?

It raises some interesting questions for sure. I'm looking forward to the day that an outlet just flat-out ignores a mediocre game (or only mention it in passing as not worth our time) even though it's been shoved down our throat by its mega- publisher as "the big thing".

In the end, I guess it's not riveting content to see Jeff driving around unenthusiastically in a mediocre open world game for 90 minutes, showing off a game he doesn't really like. Not bad enough to make fun of, not good enough to get excited about. A worthless QL.

Haunted

Eh, they've always reviewed every big "blockbuster" game.
I suppose. And the pragmatic outlook is: if they don't cover it, they'll lose out on a bunch of clicks/hits and nothing changes.

I guess I'm just miffed somehow that a game is worthy of coverage simply by virtue of its [marketing] budget.

FluxWaveZ

In the end, I guess it's not riveting content to see Jeff driving around unenthusiastically in a mediocre open world game for 90 minutes, showing off a game he doesn't really like. Not bad enough to make fun of, not good enough to get excited about. A worthless QL.

Even though the primary function of a Quick Look for me is entertainment, they're also very valuable videos in terms of showing off a specific video game. It's been stated in the past that people were either turned off by a game or gained interest in one through a Quick Look, regardless of the opinions of those playing it. Unenthusiastic QLs might not be the best in terms of entertainment, but they still give one a general idea of what the game in question is and lets the viewer form their own opinion of it.

Patryn

I suppose. And the pragmatic outlook is: if they don't cover it, they'll lose out on a bunch of clicks/hits and nothing changes.

I guess I'm just miffed somehow that a game is worthy of coverage simply by virtue of its [marketing] budget.

If it makes you feel any happier, based on the way the industry is going there's going to a hell of a lot fewer of them around in the years to come!

daydream

Banned

I totally agree, but the market realities are sad that way. Let's hope that changes.

Jeff being 100% authentic on the QL is the next best thing, though, and I appreciate it.

Jokab

This thing about Jeff's enthusiasm comes every once in a while, and has for the past several years. It's not a new complaint, and in my opnion not true either. He doesn't like every game, hell not even many at all, but it sort of feels more real when he actually gets geniunely excited for a game.

ultron87

I don't think the marketing budget is solely the reason. Watch_Dogs is a game that a lot of people were excited about ever since its reveal and the Giant Bomb staff, Vinny especially, have talked about it repeatedly as a game that was supposed to be sort of a standard bearer for "next-gen". Some of that excitement has obviously been tempered by delays and how the game has (d)evolved since its reveal, but it only makes sense for them to close that loop by talking about how the game turned out.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ignoring current discussion, went out and bought a bunch of snacks for the live show in 18 minutes.

so glad I invested in a new graphics card that I can just throw the stream on my TV now
3AQmK.gif

FStop7

Banned
I really don't know what you guys expected out of Watch_Dogs... It's one of the Ubisoft cookie cutter open world games. They've been doing the exact same game in different settings for years (all the AC/FC and now WD games).

If you like that kind of game then great, if you don't then skip. There's nothing surprising about WD.

I was expecting what was in the original reveal at E3 2012. THAT game looked awesome.

LiK

This thing about Jeff's enthusiasm comes every once in a while, and has for the past several years. It's not a new complaint, and in my opnion not true either. He doesn't like every game, hell not even many at all, but it sort of feels more real when he actually gets geniunely excited for a game.

I think Jeff is just tired most of the time. Dude drinks a shitload of energy drinks to stay awake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom