• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
tumblr_moq7fddpHs1s41czho2_250.gif

tumblr_m96vovwFcp1qc9no2.gif

Zomba13

Whoever they hire they need to be funny and have great chemistry with the GB team and everyone else that will pop up on camera/in a podcast. Having an appreciation of quirky titles like European simulators and FMV games is a plus.

Blastoise

Banned
I really want them to hire someone who is not from their continent.

But I know that will cause some visa issues, and they would want new hires to start ASAP.

Myggen

I really want them to hire someone who is not from their continent.

But I know that will cause some visa issues, and they would want new hires to start ASAP.

The way the visa rules are, that's not realistic at all. Danny had a Tumblr post about his struggles getting a visa.

Kerned

Banned
Reading Jeff's review has pretty much convinced me not to buy Watch Dogs. I was worried it would be a bland Ubisoft open world game, and what he wrote pretty much describes exactly what I don't want to play. It's too bad, I was really hoping for something to live up to those early trailers.

It's why I'm always a little wary when the preview E3 stuff comes out and people say that a game WILL be excellent. Sure, say it looks great and have high hopes for it. But you really can't predict with any certainty from an E3 demo what a game will be like.

Rapstah

The soundtrack sounds like the biggest bummer. Maybe I'm weird but I pretty much stopped playing SRIV when that game's soundtrack ran out of new songs.

Zomba13

The soundtrack sounds like the biggest bummer. Maybe I'm weird but I pretty much stopped playing SRIV when that game's soundtrack ran out of new songs.

The soundtrack isn't great. With most open world games with a radio I can find songs that I like and just listen to them, either things I know of from before playing the game or finding them thanks to the game (like a bunch in GTAIV from the Vladivostok station). Watch Dogs has veeeery little that I like and it's a shame.

Myomoto

What if they announce the new hires tonight at Vinnys Pizza Party?

A giant pizza box will be present at the set, and at a specific point of time during the stream, it will burst open and the two new hires will jump out with knives and literally stab all of Giant Bomb SF to death.

At least that's the only scenario I can see that would justify whatever community backlash we will see for the new hires.

Xater

I read a lot of Watch Dogs reviews and decided to not get but boy did the QL make the game look boring as hell.

It's fascinating to see though how Vinny and Brad reacted just because there is a lot of shit on the map and a lot of skill point stuff to unlock. I guess all that shit just taps directly into their OCD.

Kerned

Banned
I read a lot of Watch Dogs reviews and decided to not get but boy did the QL make the game look boring as hell.

It's fascinating to see though how Vinny and Brad reacted just because there is a lot of shit on the map and a lot of skill point stuff to unlock. I guess all that shit just taps directly into their OCD.

Yeah, hearing Brad say how he was really looking forward to playing this definitely highlighted that he and I apparently look for very different things in a game. I'm an hour into the QL at this point and there hasn't been anything that has made me want to play this.

KarmaCow

Yeah, hearing Brad say how he was really looking forward to playing this definitely highlighted that he and I apparently look for very different things in a game. I'm an hour into the QL at this point and there hasn't been anything that has made me want to play this.

The stealth driving stuff and evading the police seems be more interesting than most GTA-like games, but yea that's hardly enough to sustain the entire game. I can see playing it for a while until that gets boring like I did with Sleeping Dogs and its combat.

But that's in a couple years when it's $5 or so.

hamchan

Who knows if Brad will even finish it considering he burnt out on Assassin's Creed. Might not be ready for another Ubisoft open world game.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah I just can't get excited about a game with all this checklist stuff. It was fun in the early AC games because traversing the terrain was fun and the environments were interesting and different, but I'd really rather more effort was put into unique story elements and characterisation.

Klepek used to call out the 'Collecting for collections sake' stuff. I kinda miss that.

NZNova

Klepek used to call out the 'Collecting for collections sake' stuff. I kinda miss that.

It's pretty much SOP for Ubi open world games these days. They all have those maps just crammed with so, so many icons of pointless stuff to collect. I've been playing through AC4 lately and boy, there is a lot of stuff to collect.

bonercop

Reading Jeff's review has pretty much convinced me not to buy Watch Dogs. I was worried it would be a bland Ubisoft open world game, and what he wrote pretty much describes exactly what I don't want to play. It's too bad, I was really hoping for something to live up to those early trailers.

The people who were all "nope, im done" when the guy pulled out a gun in that first E3 demo turned out to be right after all.

Risible

Here's the problem (for me) with finding someone for the Bombcast.

For me the Bombcast wasn't about games. Sure, it's tangentially about games, but it was mainly a personality driven podcast for me. It had a perfect balance when it was Jeff, Ryan, Brad, and Vinny. Three funny guys and one straight man. It was mainly comedy with a splash of gaming.

There are tons of dry, analytical gaming podcasts around. That's fine if that's what you want, but it's not why I tuned into the Bombcast.

When Patrick was added it threw the balance off, suddenly we had two straight guys and the podcast suffered for it. Too often I found myself getting bored with the lengthy dry discussion. With Ryan's passing the balance was tipped even further. Patrick leaving and being replaced by Drew helped because Drew was quiet and rarely interjected, so it kind of tipped back into the more comedy less serious discussion side of things.

So that leads to where we are now. I've watched some of Zoe's stuff on the web to see what she's like, and while she seems quite nice and intelligent (much like Patrick), she seems to fall more on the pedantic side of the fence. We need a Dave Lang type to fill Vinny's shoes, someone as funny as Jeff to balance out the podcast. I fear if they get someone more like Patrick that the podcast will be dry and ultimately uninteresting.

Here's hoping they find someone that's a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom