• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

npa189

I think its to a point where it is going to be really hard to bring in a new staffer, its been like the video game equivalent to the Beatles breaking up over the past year. I still can't get over Vinny moving, the bombcast is going to become dreadful, Jeff and drew isn't a podcast, its just a conversation.

My fantasy person for GB would weirdly be Jesse Cox. I feel like his humor and energy would work well on the site. What i've seen of Jared i think he could be a decent fit.

$h@d0w

If it's Jared then he gets my thumbs up.

Eating eat sauce during youtube game reviews is about on par with flushing cakes down toilets or putting an electric shocker down your pants.

Haunted

He also would have a pretty good staff picture ready, not gonna lie.

BoC_uSMCIAAZSHC.png

styl3s

I think its to a point where it is going to be really hard to bring in a new staffer, its been like the video game equivalent to the Beatles breaking up over the past year. I still can't get over Vinny moving, the bombcast is going to become dreadful, Jeff and drew isn't a podcast, its just a conversation.
You act as if there isn't a piece of technology that would allow Vinny to be apart of each weeks bombcast.

Dug

Banned
2636502-4371750868-bradb.jpg

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

Not really. But if they do bring in some youtuber hack like an Egorapter then yeah its' bailout time. But they aren't going to do this.

Vinny will still be making videos, he just won't have Brad to constantly beat up on.

Haunted

I'm giving this motherfucker a chance!
Honestly, the Banner Saga review made me laugh. And isn't that all anyone could ever ask for?

A new hire always separates the diehard Giantbomb aficionados from the fair-weather fans. People showed their true colours when Patrick joined, and the community is better off without the people who left. Some old favourites in the crew going away and a couple new hires entering the mix won't stop funkystudent's passive-agressive rants on GAF, I tell you that much!

#truefan

Zaph

They have never wanted to use skype.

Its too much work for them.
Come on.

If they use Skype, it becomes a Skype podcast. Some people find them okay, but it's usually because they're not used to hearing the same podcast years prior recorded all in the same room.

What is the point trying to emulate the past when the timing won't be right, jokes won't feel as natural, and everything will just feel off?

Let them move on and find the right content for where they are now.

daydream

Banned
That's as good as confirmed.

I think he's, realistically, as good a hire as we can hope for. Enthusiastic, good on camera, experienced but not too much that he can't be moulded by the crew.

Trust in Big Jeffery.

Oh, I'm always optimistic.

So, if he's all but confirmed, I'd say some sort of feature that requires travel is something we can more or less expect. As others have pointed out, though, that doesn't adress the 'people in office' situation, so we might be looking at major restructuring here (QLs split between NY/SF, maybe some new GB East feature, a reimagined Bombcast of some sort, etc.).

Fox318

Come on.

If they use Skype, it becomes a Skype podcast. Some people find them okay, but it's usually because they're not used to hearing the same podcast years prior recorded all in the same room.

What is the point trying to emulate the past when the timing won't be right, jokes won't feel as natural, and everything will just feel off?

A Skype podcast is better than no podcast.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Come on.

You're assuming that a Skype podcast = a bad or worse podcast.

Seriously, everyone who has any doubts about the quality of a Skype podcast, go listen to My Brother My Brother and Me.

Those dudes are all over the US and do a weekly podcast over the internet and are riffing off each other fast and loose constantly.

Everyone just assumes a Skype podcast would be worse because Jeff says "It will be worse" and they take it as an absolute when that totally isn't the case. There are completely effective ways of doing a good podcast over the internet, the McElroy bros figured it out, and they're not a CBSi property. I'm pretty sure the GB crew could figure out a way to do it effectively, especially since others already have.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Seriously, everyone who has any doubts about the quality of a Skype podcast, go listen to My Brother My Brother and Me.

Those dudes are all over the US and do a weekly podcast over the internet and are riffing off each other fast and loose constantly.

Everyone just assumes a Skype podcast would be worse because Jeff says "It will be worse" and they take it as an absolute when that totally isn't the case. There are completely effective ways of doing a good podcast over the internet, the McElroy bros figured it out, and they're not a CBSi property. I'm pretty sure the GB crew could figure out a way to do it effectively, especially since others already have.

Isn't the theory that MBMBAM works because they all use skype, instead of just one vs three so the lack of immediacy would be a lot more natural?

Because GB have done skypecasts before, but that's when they are all on skype.

BearPawB

Banned
Man...I don't know about this Jared guy.

He seems too..."young"? And too much fake energy.

Don't get me wrong. I will give him every chance in the world. I just thought it would be someone of a different sort of calibur.

Also, none of the giant bomb guys follow him on twitter? Which i guess would be odd? Clearly the guy knows Max. So maybe that was the connection

Zaph

Has My Brother always been skyped or did it begin as a locally recorded podcast?

Are any of them in the same room or are they all remote?

Are any of the hosts a non-brother that doesn't know the rest of them as well as the brothers?

I think you're cherry picking on podcast that makes it work.

Patrick on Skype has he been absolutely fine in Vinnycasts.
No offence to Patrick, but his style is more of an informative monologue rather than the quick witted exchange of Jeff and Vinny.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Patrick on Skype has he been absolutely fine in Vinnycasts.

They use him pretty differently though. He's more there to relegate the news, not for any immediate discussions. Everytime they have him on I always get a "on-field correspondent" sort of vibe.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Has My Brother always been skyped or did it begin as a locally recorded podcast?

Are any of them in the same room or are they all remote?

Are any of the hosts a non-brother that doesn't know the rest of them as well as the brothers?

I think you're cherry picking on podcast that makes it work.

No offence to Patrick, but his style is more of an informative monologue rather than the quick witted exchange of Jeff and Vinny.

As far as I know, always remotely, all remote, none a non-brother.

In regards to the always remotely, is your argument that the podcast will only be noticeably worse because it will be relative to what we're used to? Because relatively worse does not equal bad.

In regards to the non-brother part, I think Vinny probably knows the majority of the people on the Bombcast pretty damn well, not that that is wholly relevant.

And because I'm not just cherry picking, you can also check out The Besties, which includes Justin and Griffin, but also Chris Plante and Russ Frushtick who aren't brothers, but still from other sides of the country.

If that still isn't enough for you, check out The Comedy Button, where Anthony Gallegos has been Skyping in (and is the ONLY one skypin in) and it's effective enough that he is even the host of the show. Those who listen to the Comedy Button know that it's often an even faster paced show than the bombcast, with people building on one another constantly.

Phatmac

Skype podcasts are fine. Losing Vinny for every bombcast will hurt it a lot. I don't think Brad Jeff and Drew can make a good podcast.

ignata

Yeah... if that Jared gets hired then this would be the perfect time to get off the GB train. At least for me.

Once upon a time a new guy arrived on a podcast called The Hotspot and I said to myself "ew, this guy sucks." His name? Vinny Caravella. Now I'm bummed I can't listen to him every week, but happy to know he'll still be contributing from New York.

Point being, you should give Jared a shot. If he is the new hire, I think it's a solid pick. It could be a total disaster too, you never know, but based on his work he seems like he would be a good fit. I at least respect the hell out of him for writing that piece on that "most expensive game jam" despite the career risks of doing so. It's good to see that most people here, and, surprisingly, on the Giant Bomb forums, are willing to give him a shot.

Man...I don't know about this Jared guy.

He seems too..."young"? And too much fake energy.

Don't get me wrong. I will give him every chance in the world. I just thought it would be someone of a different sort of calibur.

Also, none of the giant bomb guys follow him on twitter? Which i guess would be odd? Clearly the guy knows Max. So maybe that was the connection

Whitta did a hot pepper review, so that's another connection. I actually met Jared at Indiecade, he's good people. He also wrote this piece on the Game_Jam debacle which, I would say, was equal parts well written and important. I don't know if he will end up at Giant Bomb, but I am superpumped to see what he does next regardless.

Disclosure: I may be biased because he was one of a small group of games media who gave my game the time of day and really seemed to "get it", but I would say thats a good thing because he was really working hard to see everything at that show

megamerican

Whitta did a hot pepper review, so that's another connection. I actually met Jared at Indiecade, he's good people. He also wrote this piece on the Game_Jam debacle which, I would say, was equal parts well written and important. I don't know if he will end up at Giant Bomb, but I am superpumped to see what he does next regardless.

Disclosure: I may be biased because he was one of a small group of games media who gave my game the time of day and really seemed to "get it", but I would say thats a good thing because he was really working hard to see everything at that show

I remember reading that piece and thinking it was pretty poorly written. It's a news story that takes seven paragraphs to even begin addressing the topic of what's being covered.

ignata

Working hard seems to be what he's been doing for a while now. Of what little I know about him, he seems to be the kind of guy who made it where he is by doing the thing that every writer says to do when they get asked the question "how can I become a games journalist?" He's out there writing as much as he can, and getting his name out there as much as he can, while also taking the advice that Jeff has given to prove that you're good on camera. I'm glad to give him a chance to see how he melds with the rest of the group.

Around the holidays when they did that Google Hangout thing I thought it was perfectly fine. I would probably rather Vinney to call in than to not have him be there at all. I wonder if they could do a test run and see how it goes. There must be some sort of enterprise software that works better than Skype.

Yeah don't even give him a chance, that seems really logical.

I thought so too

Once upon a time a new guy arrived on a podcast called The Hotspot and I said to myself "ew, this guy sucks." His name? Vinny Caravella. Now I'm bummed I can't listen to him every week, but happy to know he'll still be contributing from New York.

Point being, you should give Jared a shot. If he is the new hire, I think it's a solid pick. It could be a total disaster too, you never know, but based on his work he seems like he would be a good fit. I at least respect the hell out of him for writing that piece on that "most expensive game jam" despite the career risks of doing so. It's good to see that most people here, and, surprisingly, on the Giant Bomb forums, are willing to give him a shot.

Not interested from what I've seen of him.

I remember reading that piece and thinking it was pretty poorly written. It's a news story that takes seven paragraphs to even begin addressing the topic of what's being covered.

I think most people would agree that it's everything but well written. Good on him for breaking the story, though!

I guess I have a soft spot for gonzo style journalism. For me the first part was entertaining and useful for setting the scene. It was certainly personality driven, which lines up with Giant Bomb pretty well, no?

M3z_

It's kind of nerve-racking to think about the fact that no matter how much I have loved GB over the past 6 years that the possibility that the dramatic change they will be incurring could be lost on me from a taste perspective. While I am certainly excited to see what they decide to do the potential that I will just no longer be interested in their content is now an actual possibility. Which begs the question for me personally "how much of my enjoyment of videogames is aided by their content?". I have always been interested in games, but before GB I never routinely visited any videogame sites or listened to videogame podcasts. Not to mention the 8 or so hours a week that would be reinjected back into my life. Definitely a weird time, hope they can continue to be great and find new ways to display their talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom