• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronson

I remember reading that piece and thinking it was pretty poorly written. It's a news story that takes seven paragraphs to even begin addressing the topic of what's being covered.
It's a feature, not a news story. They're allowed to have a long wind-up because they're on a larger scale.

daydream

Banned
Well written articles are for company men and squares!

I'm a big proponent of establishing an essayistic style in games criticism. This is obviously not that, but all the way journalistic in nature. It's also not matter-of-fact news reporting, though. On the surface, it should read like an in-depth feature reporting on a (then) current and urgent matter. Style and structure are all over the place, unfortunately. It's not a blog post, but it sure does read like one in spots. He should have spread out the information and his personal thoughts more evenly.

Don't want to dwell on this further, but I also didn't want to misunderstood as someone who's in favour of day-to-day, dry and "straight" news reporting. It's also only just one article, he will write countless better ones in the future, I'm sure. :)

I guess I have a soft spot for gonzo style journalism. For me the first part was entertaining and useful for setting the scene. It was certainly personality driven, which lines up with Giant Bomb pretty well, no?

Sure. I wouldn't quite call it gonzo, but I get where you're coming from.

Lingitiz

It's kind of nerve-racking to think about the fact that no matter how much I have loved GB over the past 6 years that the possibility that the dramatic change they will be incurring could be lost on me from a taste perspective. While I am certainly excited to see what they decide to do the potential that I will just no longer be interested in their content is now an actual possibility. Which begs the question for me personally "how much of my enjoyment of videogames is aided by their content?". I have always been interested in games, but before GB I never routinely visited any videogame sites or listened to videogame podcasts. Not to mention the 8 or so hours a week that would be reinjected back into my life. Definitely a weird time, hope they can continue to be great and find new ways to display their talents.
I actually feel surprisingly similar, although I think I'll still love games just as much if I dont lkke these changes. Still, it's a pretty weird time overall.

I'm a big proponent of establishing an essayistic style in games criticism. This is obviously not that, but all the way journalistic in nature. It's also not matter-of-fact news reporting, though. On the surface, it should read like an in-depth feature reporting on a (then) current and urgent matter. Style and structure are all over the place, unfortunately. It's not a blog post, but it sure does read like one in spots. He should have spread out the information and his personal thoughts more evenly.

Don't want to dwell on this further, but I also didn't want to misunderstood as someone who's in favour of day-to-day, dry and "straight" news reporting. It's also only just one article, he will write countless better ones in the future, I'm sure. :)

Sure. I wouldn't quite call it gonzo, but I get where you're coming from.

Lets call it "Gonzo-lite" or "Gonzo-without-the-mescaline". I think we pretty much agree on this.

You know, for as much as Jeff and Vinny have been saying how "excited" they are for Vinny's move, I can't possibly see how this will be an overall good thing for the site. Giving Alex access to a video guy doesn't make up for losing Vinny on main office Quick Looks, Unprofessional Fridays, and the Bombcast. I know its probably not a good thing to say before the new hire starts, but I really don't think what Giant Bomb needed was some young YouTube personality, it doesn't seem to me like that's a good fit for the main office.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You know, for as much as Jeff and Vinny have been saying how "excited" they are for Vinny's move, I can't possibly see how this will be an overall good thing for the site. Giving Alex access to a video guy doesn't make up for losing Vinny on main office Quick Looks, Unprofessional Fridays, and the Bombcast. I know its probably not a good thing to say before the new hire starts, but I really don't think what Giant Bomb needed was some young YouTube personality, it doesn't seem to me like that's a good fit for the main office.

Like Vinny said on the original podcast reveal, this was inevitable. He had always been telling Jeff that living in SF was temporary and he would be gone eventually.

They had to put a positive spin on it of course, and GB spreading nationwide is a positive spin.

I think they realize that ideally, Vinny would be able to stay there indefinitely with them because they value his work and recognize how beneficial he is to the site as a whole, and especially the SF offices, but they're making the best of an inevitable situation.

Stimpack

It's kind of nerve-racking to think about the fact that no matter how much I have loved GB over the past 6 years that the possibility that the dramatic change they will be incurring could be lost on me from a taste perspective. While I am certainly excited to see what they decide to do the potential that I will just no longer be interested in their content is now an actual possibility. Which begs the question for me personally "how much of my enjoyment of videogames is aided by their content?". I have always been interested in games, but before GB I never routinely visited any videogame sites or listened to videogame podcasts. Not to mention the 8 or so hours a week that would be reinjected back into my life. Definitely a weird time, hope they can continue to be great and find new ways to display their talents.

That is fairly spot-on with my feelings and experiences. That's what I've been trying to express. While it's all fine and grand for people who want this to happen and are excited for change, there is most certainly cause for concern. The fact that some people expect everyone to welcome the changes with open arms and anticipation is rather alarming to me. Of course I'm fucking worried, I've been following the site for years and I happen to view these changes as unwarranted. There was nothing here to fix, at least from the way I see it. I understand that some of these changes are necessary, but I reserve the right to not be thrilled about it.

With that said, here's to hoping. I don't know what will happen, but I'll do my best to stay optimistic and open-minded.

Apart from these forums, Giant Bomb is literally the only gaming site that I've visited on a near-daily basis. Hell, the only site in general that I've ever visited that much.

Stackboy

I'm going to wait and see what kind of content Vinny produces in NY with Alex, as well as see what the new recruits bring to the table, before I decide Giant Bomb is dead to me.

Man you guys overreact.

Stimpack

I'm going to wait and see what kind of content Vinny produces in NY with Alex, as well as see what the new recruits bring to the table, before I decide Giant Bomb is dead to me.

Man you guys overreact.

I don't think many people are overreacting here. Most are just worried, and rightfully so. It's more a discussion about the possibility of it all going to shit. It might sound funny, but I don't think we've ever had a change of this magnitude. I think these are perfectly rational reactions considering the loyalty that the Giant Bomb fanbase has garnered over the years.

Aaron

I'm honestly happy with the move, since I feel like GB has fallen into a rut lately, and some of their content has come off as a little stale. Quicklooks running way too long, some signficant games not covered at all, UPFs with maybe one game worth playing, and long gaps between other subscriber content. Shuffle things around, bring in a little fresh blood, and see what happens.

for me, Vinny is the most relatable person on the crew. despite the fact i don't have children and I'm not from New York it feels like Vinny had a fairly similar upbringing to mine, and he definitely approaches games with the same kind of wonderment and devotion that I do. he reads the expanded lore, spends countless hours collecting inane trinkets, maintains a steady diet of self-deprecation and just generally seemed to be a pretty down to earth dude, especially given the kind of goofy company he keeps.

i'm going to miss his immediate presence on the Bombcast and the live shows very much.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Like Vinny said on the original podcast reveal, this was inevitable. He had always been telling Jeff that living in SF was temporary and he would be gone eventually.

They had to put a positive spin on it of course, and GB spreading nationwide is a positive spin.

I think they realize that ideally, Vinny would be able to stay there indefinitely with them because they value his work and recognize how beneficial he is to the site as a whole, and especially the SF offices, but they're making the best of an inevitable situation.

I know that's what he said on the last podcast, but only a year or so ago, he talked about being ready to settle on the west coast after selling his NYC apartment. I don't know if being driven out to the suburbs and the lack of family support changed things though, but like... you don't set up a 50 gallon fresh water thing if you're planning on ditching.

I just wonder how much Vinny will be on camera if he's going to be producing. I mean, anyone could just stick a webcam in front of them and then play a game, but I hope he does more than that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I know that's what he said on the last podcast, but only a year or so ago, he talked about being ready to settle on the west coast after selling his NYC apartment. I don't know if being driven out to the suburbs and the lack of family support changed things though, but like... you don't set up a 50 gallon fresh water thing if you're planning on ditching.

I would imagine having a baby changes your perspective quite a bit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would imagine having a baby changes your perspective quite a bit.
Yeah, and both he and his wife are from NYC anyway, so they both probably have support there.

I don't remember what podcast it was where he talks about selling his NYC apartment - its where he talks about how there was construction outside his window and he walked around naked in front of the construction workers - but he was fairly positive about settling in SF.

DJ88

Damn, is it crazy that after hearing about Vinny's move to GB East I've thought about ditching Miami, driving up to NYC, and seeing if I could intern or be a helping hand there while they get set up at the new office?

I just graduated from school this spring and studied film and video production.

Ketch

First they came for Dave, and I did not speak out—
Because Dave was just the computer guy.

Then they came for Patrick, and I did not speak out—
Because nobody liked Patrick anyway.

Then they came for Vinny, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not Italian.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me

M3z_

There is also the fact that over the past 6 years the scope of their site has not changed much. They are still a website that produces quicklooks, live shows, and a podcast.

One of the most consistent things you will hear Jeff say in GB content is him expressing support to people who decide to make radical changes with their career. He has on many occasions expressed the understanding of just wanting to do things different for the sake of it being new because when you do something long enough you get tired of it. I think that has often been a restated view of his. You have heard that sort of thing manifest itself in him bringing up mixing up the podcast format, or messing with the live show schedule/formula in the past.

I doubt the change Jeff wanted was to ship Vinny off to the other side of the country, but things are definitely going to be different for him and the crew going forward. They will have to rethink what they do and they will definitely be able to go into the office each morning for awhile feeling like just about anything is up for change, and that now is the time to try new ideas. So I can totally understand where they as employees could feel excited about this.

Damn, is it crazy that after hearing about Vinny's move to GB East I've thought about ditching Miami, driving up to NYC, and seeing if I could intern or be a helping hand there while they get set up at the new office?

I just graduated from school this spring and studied film and video production.

Maybe ask them on Twitter or something first.

Khezu

Well with Vinny out of the office, they really need to do something about premium content, or just features in general.

Most of that stuff was focused on Vinny.

Need more bombasticas.

Or Jeff can do something he enjoy's, like maybe picking up USF4 and play it every week to try and get somewhat decent at it.

I think the next premium feature should be Jeff rewatching the entire Persona 4 Endurance Run while clutching a framed photo of Vinny and a single tear running down his cheek.

Myggen

I don't think many people are overreacting here. Most are just worried, and rightfully so. It's more a discussion about the possibility of it all going to shit. It might sound funny, but I don't think we've ever had a change of this magnitude. I think these are perfectly rational reactions considering the loyalty that the Giant Bomb fanbase has garnered over the years.

People in general reacted with more vitrol to the CBSi move. This thread was full of "the site will be dead in 1 year" talk then.

I think this case is a bit easier to have an emotional reaction to because we all know what content we would like more or less of. Not having Vinny contribute to the GB staples will be a massive blow to how people enjoy that content.

Myggen

Yeah don't even give him a chance, that seems really logical.

Haha, did you expect anything less from some GB fans? You just need to look at what Patrick had to go through in the beginning just because he was a new hire, and now add that with a million because some people will view especially the new editor as having to fill Vinny's shoes. Expect much hyperbole and knee jerk reaction.

Apparently Jeff was talking about Arcade location scouting (probably as a joke) during the stream... People on the GB forum are speculating that he would be some kind of travelog editor but it doesn't make sense since they clearly need somebody in SF.

Jeff has said time and time again that the new opening is in SF. So I agree that that kind of speculation doesn't really make sense.

Mechazawa

Man, that last part of the Pizza Party. Every time I watch Gang Beasts I go "this is the time where the game loses it's magic" and Gang Beasts keeps proving me wrong.

rObit

Banned
Man, that last part of the Pizza Party. Every time I watch Gang Beasts I go "this is the time where the game loses it's magic" and Gang Beasts keeps proving me wrong.

Agreed. I keep expecting it to get old or them to get bored of it, but it always entertains.

Myggen

How l7ng did this go on for?

I stopped after yaaawg or whatever it was called

Almost 4 hours. I notice that they uploaded it as one video on the site, must be the longest single video they've ever archived (they usually split them up after about 2 hours).

Myggen

Have people really seen enough of Jared Rose to be either dissapointed or excited? From searcching YT I can only find a couple of Hot Pepper Gaming clips, some interviews etc.

Why are even so sure that it's jared rosen?

His "I have some really exciting news!" tweet was just around the time Jeff said they had hired an editor, and he hasn't exactly denied that it's the GB job when people have asked him on Twitter. So I think it's a pretty safe assumption.

Fuck all of your dread! All of it! I am super excited to see who gets hired. Jeff knows what's up, and Jeff is making the hire! I mean, he was right about Patrick bringing so much good stuff to the site, so my faith is with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom