• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a newbie/young'un. Cool!
I'm not sure what video game Anthony Bourdain means though... he's going to host The Raid? lol

Anthony Bourdain goes to different countries/places and documents their culture and food, usually. I have no idea what that would be in a video game context except traveling across the country and doing documentaries with developers.

I really doubt he's doing that for Giant Bomb, especially since they need someone to sit on the couch but there may be a number of crossed wires here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm more interested in who will fill the producer role.

See if he can give that magic vinny touch.

Or maybe give their own special touch.

DoctorZ

The whole Jared Rosen thing makes no sense to me. Senior editor? From what I've seen he just doesn't seem like a good fit. I'm sure people like him, but I have a hard time seeing him do what an editor at GB does on a daily basis.

BeerSnob

The whole Jared Rosen thing makes no sense to me. Senior editor? From what I've seen he just doesn't seem like a good fit. I'm sure people like him, but I have a hard time seeing him do what an editor at GB does on a daily basis.

Oh my god. It's Father Ted's lovechild.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Apparently Jeff was talking about Arcade location scouting (probably as a joke) during the stream... People on the GB forum are speculating that he would be some kind of travelog editor but it doesn't make sense since they clearly need somebody in SF.

Anthony Bourdain goes to different countries/places and documents their culture and food, usually. I have no idea what that would be in a video game context except traveling across the country and doing documentaries with developers.

I really doubt he's doing that for Giant Bomb, especially since they need someone to sit on the couch but there may be a number of crossed wires here.
I know who Bourdain is, but I'm just not sure if that actually mean he was going to travel around the world finding games or something.

Imagine if they sent this dude to Pakistan to report on Pakistani indie games. :p

The whole Jared Rosen thing makes no sense to me. Senior editor? From what I've seen he just doesn't seem like a good fit. I'm sure people like him, but I have a heard time seeing him do what an editor at GB does on a daily basis.
He's famous for being fired because of that Game Jam right? Maybe he's meant to compliment Patrick on the site so that they have more articles go up.

DoctorZ

He's famous for being fired because of that Game Jam right? Maybe he's meant to compliment Patrick on the site so that they have more articles go up.

Jeff specifically said "senior editor" which implies the new hire will fill a role similar to Brad and Alex. I have a hard time seeing Rosen in that role, but if that is what they need that is what his title would be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jeff specifically said "senior editor" which implies the new hire will fill a role similar to Brad and Alex. I have a hard time seeing Rosen in that role, but if that is what they need that is what his title would be.
I'm sure the title of the position is only meant to be commiserate with pay. Is Patrick not a "Senior Editor" as well?

rbanke

Jared Rosen, from Hot Pepper Gaming? I enjoy his reviews on there and he seems like a nice guy. Hope it is him. :)

Yea it took me a bit to realize where I knew that name from. Also I've seen his twitter handle retweeted by one of the GB guys at least a couple times in the past I think. Seems like an ok guy, we'll see.

Did anyone else catch Jeff's "location-scouting" comment at the end in regards to visiting arcades around the country? Was that a little hint of the future?

From the hints jeff has been dropping it seems something like "Tested: The Show" might be on the horizon for GB once it gets more staff.

Zaph

The dude has been asked a ton of times (even by C418) on twitter if he got the GB job and he hasn't replied at all. Radio silence since around the 'good news' tweet.

I don't think it's a reach. Travelling could be something to do with the world tour which Jeff has wanted to do for years (remember the WM fundraiser for it?).

Pure speculation, but all of GB West are unmarried and without children. What if they're now the worldwide/feature/travelogue/touring content side, and GB East handles the daily reliable content like reviews and QL's? Jeff always said the biggest problem with touring was the lack of steady content.

The dude has been asked a ton of times (even by C418) on twitter if he got the GB job and he hasn't replied at all. Radio silence since around the 'good news' tweet.

I don't think it's a reach. Travelling could be something to do with the world tour which Jeff has wanted to do for years (remember the WM fundraiser for it?).

Pure speculation, but all of GB West are unmarried and without children. What if they're now the worldwide/feature/travelogue/touring content side, and GB East handles the daily reliable content like reviews and QL's?

Yeah, that's what I've kinda been expecting. GBNY is probably gonna become a quick look factory since it's easier to set up and do from a production standpoint and Alex plays the most new games anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Pure speculation, but all of GB West are unmarried and without children. What if they're now the worldwide/feature/travelogue/touring content side, and GB East handles the daily reliable content like reviews and QL's?

What kind of stories can you do about games via travelogue though that would sustain a site though?

I'm excited! New things! New people! Be excited guys. Don't be like how you complain you think Jeff is. Be happy for Vinny and be happy for new opportunities that others get. This guy seems fun.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm excited! New things! New people! Be excited guys. Don't be like how you complain you think Jeff is. Be happy for Vinny and be happy for new opportunities that others get. This guy seems fun.
I'm hopeful for the new blood, but the loss of Vinny is really big. Alex/Vinny shows don't really excite me unfortunately.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I thought that Jared dude was just making shit up? It would be really bad if GB hired a youtuber/part time writer to be their senior editor. Sorta like how Zoe Quinn seems cool, but not even close to being qualified.

Kerned

Banned
Jared seems cool. It will be interesting to see if he's really the one, but it sure looks likely. These are exciting times. It's hard not to be bummed out about Vinny moving to NY, but no one can deny that the site has been in need of a positive shake up for a while now.

FluxWaveZ

I thought that Jared dude was just making shit up? It would be really bad if GB hired a youtuber/part time writer to be their senior editor. Sorta like how Zoe Quinn seems cool, but not even close to being qualified.

I don't think Jared has mentioned GB. Plus, Jeff's stated several times in the past how he was particularly looking at Youtube, video game related personalities for qualities he would want for a future Giant Bomb staff member.

Megasoum

Banned

Well Jeff and Patrick keep complaining that Youtube is taking more and more place in the industry and making the old style gaming website more and more obsolete....All hail the great youtube overlord!

Blastoise

Banned
I watched a couple of his videos and I don't know...

Seems more part of the youtube generation than I would want. Fake excitement and hammy dialogue.

Stimpack

It's not the same at all. We have no idea what's going to happens, other than that things are going to change. That's great. It's exciting, but I also really love Giant Bomb. It's been my favorite site on the web for years now, and it's coming to a halt. While there's a reason to be excited, there's also a reason to be sad, and there's nothing wrong with either of those reactions.

Kerned

Banned
We really shouldn't get too hung up on the titles. Maybe Brad is getting a new title (managing editor?) and that's why the new guy is a senior editor. Who knows?

Zaph

What kind of stories can you do about games via travelogue though that would sustain a site though?
Ton of stuff - visit studios (rather than waiting for them to visit SF or rely on the same 3 local studios), visit arcades, Raid-like hunting (similar to what Peter does), tournaments etc.

Not saying they'd be in a different country every day, but with 3 guys back east pumping out normal content, West could be on the road more.

It could be really great (if they have the budget).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ton of stuff - visit studios (rather than waiting for them to visit SF or rely on the same 3 local studios), visit arcades, Raid-like hunting (similar to what Peter does), tournaments etc.

Not saying they'd be in a different country every day, but with 3 guys back east pumping out normal content, West could be on the road more.

It could be really great (if they have the budget).
I'm sure there's one time content, but I mean... they haven't even gone back to CAX, so I'm not sure if they're up for some full court press travel to keep the site going.

But hey, if this makes the Japan trip finally happen, then I'll take it.

Couldn't he be the video guy as well? They may have hired both then.
No, Vinny said on the stream that they were still in the process for that position.

Slightly off topic but is Bombing the AM With Scoops any good? Looking for some new game podcasts to listen to.

Thanks
It's really incumbent on how much you like Patrick. It's nothing like Bombcast, that's for sure.

Stimpack

Well, he replied to one guy that asked.

Honestly not feeling what I've seen of him on YT, so I hope I'll warm up to this guy.

I watched a couple of his videos and I don't know...

Seems more part of the youtube generation than I would want. Fake excitement and hammy dialogue.

I don't know how I feel either. Maybe he'll work better once he's in the Giant Bomb ecosystem. Everyone deserves a chance, at least, but I feel the same way.

If it comes down to it and it doesn't work out, it seems like Giant Bomb is more likely to stick with what they're doing than they are to change things. I think that's what worries me the most.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know how I feel either. Maybe he'll work better once he's in the Giant Bomb ecosystem. Everyone deserves a chance, at least, but I feel the same way.

If it comes down to it doesn't work out, it seems like Giant Bomb is more likely to stick with what they're doing than they are to change things. I think that's what worries me the most.
They joked about Brad Nicholson on that QL EX, but they're willing to sort of let things go if it doesn't work out. But he was more of a freelancer than a full hire, so that might be different.

Haunted

It's not Jared Rosen, guys.

He told everyone what the good news he alluded to was on Twitter:

Jared Rosen ‏@notquitefrodo 5m
@MaxTemkin @C418 i've been drafted into the sailor scouts! i'm sailor Jupiter, the sauciest sailor of all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom