• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
1hr each state could be great or awful. A big part of the appeal in its current format is the relaxed atmosphere which allows for the funny moments to come about more naturally. Sticking to a brief hour might inhibit that, but I guess if it frees up time and energy for other features coming out of the sf office I'd be ok with it. Also with vinny leaving, upf will be a different beast anyway, so the old format mightn't work any more.

SuperTurboMan

Neo Member
Whelp.
6v2jKyE.png

Patryn

What's the reason for keeping the new hire secret?

Thought it was all in the bag.

Also possible that there may be some last bits of paperwork. It's possible that it was a verbal acceptance, but they still have to sign the actual offer letter and all that jazz.

Plus, if the person is currently working elsewhere it's entirely possible they haven't yet given notice.

FStop7

Banned
That Jared Rosen article about the game jam... I get that it was a frustrating experience, but wow. The whole thing comes off like teenage angsty drama to the nth power. So inside the bubble.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jeff Green has also said several times that he doesn't want to go backwards. He was EiC of a magazine, so he would basically have to take a lower position to work anywhere else in the game journalism racket, short of starting his own site.

I believe Jeff also mentioned on his Tumblr a possible idea of expanding UPF to three hours and doing an hour at each site: So an hour of GBNY, an hour of GB Chicago, and an hour of GBSF.
I think that's an interesting idea. There's a lot of inherent comedy potential in the various handover points between studios. And then some sort of West vs North vs East feud. There's a lot of potential!
Jeff Green has also said several times that he doesn't want to go backwards. He was EiC of a magazine, so he would basically have to take a lower position to work anywhere else in the game journalism racket, short of starting his own site.
With the greatest respect to Jeff Green, who I love, if he really is in a consultancy role (i.e. doing mock reviews) then that is about as much of a backwards step as he can make (unless the money is very good).

Kerned

Banned
With the greatest respect to Jeff Green, who I love, if he really is in a consultancy role (i.e. doing mock reviews) then that is about as much of a backwards step as he can make (unless the money is very good).

He is in consutantcy, but the company he works for does not do mock reviews. He explained in some detail what specifically they do on one of his Dark Souls streams.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Why would it be a step backwards? He's probably making more money at a stable job, has greater influence, and doesn't have to deal with people calling him an asshole because he gives a game an 8.9/10.

Heel

"N'Gai, thank you for the temporary job while I waited for CBS Interactive to allow GiantBomb.com to hire me."

"No problem, Jeff Green. I heard they are paying you a lot of money there."

It will be Greg Miller but they do his announcement like a 1990's wrestling defection and he just shows up on a episode of UPF in IGN shirt, smacks Jeff with a steal chair and then rips the shirt off revealing a Giant Bomb shirt.

Double points if they do the reveal while IGN is showing a pre taped Up at Noon.

Anyway I am just expecting some random writer who hasnt really made a name for themselves yet.

Zaph

She just tweeted that she's officially moving to SF after e3. Who knows why though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She was trying to get actors for her new game after Jeff confirmed someone yesterday. So she's definitely not the new hire and was probably never seriously considered.

It will be Greg Miller but they do his announcement like a 1990's wrestling defection and he just shows up on a episode of UPF in IGN shirt, smacks Jeff with a steal chair and then rips the shirt off revealing a Giant Bomb shirt.

Double points if they do the reveal while IGN is showing a pre taped Up at Noon.

I used to love Greg Miller, but I got such a distaste for him once he started his shitty, awful, click-baity youtube show. Is he still jovial and funny?

Lijik

its hulk hogan, brother
C0slE7A.png

i mean THIS tweet the day after Jeff announces they have a new senior editor? what else could it possibly mean man

Whoever it is, introducing them like that would be fucking great. Like they'd be in an UPF just as a guest, then they lose a Gang Beasts match and beat up Jeff just to reveal they were Giant Bomb all along.

I used to love Greg Miller, but I got such a distaste for him once he started his shitty, awful, click-baity youtube show. Is he still jovial and funny?

I think he just works for IGN and thats what they do. I bet you could do more.

Whoever it is, introducing them like that would be fucking great. Like they'd be in an UPF just as a guest, then they lose a Gang Beasts match and beat up Jeff just to reveal they were Giant Bomb all along.

If they are hiring a writer who is coming in from another site I think it could work for pretty much anyone.

Heel

its hulk hogan, brother
C0slE7A.png

i mean THIS tweet the day after Jeff announces they have a new senior editor? what else could it possibly mean man

Wow, is it possible the secret E3 stuff they were teasing in that Mailbag video was a box of Yapapi straps?

Bond them together with the leather, man.

I think he just works for IGN and thats what they do. I bet you could do more.

Well, yeah, of course you're right. It was just such a letdown, because he really had a good Youtube thing going, and then he turned it into really generic trash topic show with large-breasted women inexplicably used for the thumbnail.

Curufinwe

When you think of how bad other gaming sites that focus on video usually are it makes me grateful Giant Bomb is still here and actually expanding.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When you think of how bad other gaming sites that focus on video usually are it makes me grateful Giant Bomb is still here and actually expanding.
It's because they don't try to make "produced" or scripted videos featuring guys reading a prompter into a camera.

Well, they do that for their year end videos, but you can't win them all.

Didn't you get the memo? Vinny's leaving so they're no longer making good video content and the new hires are going to be crap.

Zaph

Yup, we're lucky GB is still around in a recognisable form. For all the shit we give CBSi, any other corporation would have gutted it by now.

Why would it be a step backwards? He's probably making more money at a stable job, has greater influence, and doesn't have to deal with people calling him an asshole because he gives a game an 8.9/10.
Because it would more or less block any return to either games journalism or games development, unless he was his own boss. The conflict of interest is too great.

But I appreciate the clarification and correction (of me) by Kerned, I'm not up-to-date with his DS streams.

Myggen

It's because they don't try to make "produced" or scripted videos featuring guys reading a prompter into a camera.

Hot babes reading news! From what little I've seen of other gaming sites the last couple of years it seems like the big sites have toned down that part of their sites a bit at least. But still...I've visited GS some since Danny arrived in the States, and except for the stuff he's in (The Point and parts of The Lobby), I just don't find anything about the site enjoyable.

zoe just posted that she's moving to san fran after e3

I didnt think she would want to leave development though, but maybe?

She posted something about casting for her new game after Jeff announced they'd hired someone. So, nah.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because it would more or less block any return to either games journalism or games development, unless he was his own boss. The conflict of interest is too great.

But I appreciate the clarification and correction (of me) by Kerned, I'm not up-to-date with his DS streams.
You know that Justin, a current GameSpot staffer, basically moved from 1up to writing fake reviews for a few years and then to Gamespot/Retronauts though?

Which is why the Video Reviews always felt stilted and silly in comparison to their usual off-the-cuff content.

You know that Justin, a current GameSpot staffer, basically moved from 1up to writing fake reviews for a few years and then to Gamespot/Retronauts though?
There are inescapable credibility issues associated with anyone who undertakes a sustained period of mock review work, especially if that person is already an established writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom