• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure these tweets have already been posted but I screencapped this from twitter.

yZ4sq6K.png

He stole Tom Siddell's avatar!

Finally, some anime coverage on giantbomb

Brad & Jared's Giant Bomb Desu Ne

Xater

I found the Pizza Show to be largely boring. Not a fan of them all playing together because the commentary tends to die down.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I found the Pizza Show to be largely boring. Not a fan of them all playing together because the commentary tends to die down.

I think it was meant to be more for Vinny than anyone else. He wanted to get some multiplayer game action in since he won't be able to do it like that in NY.

Xater

I think it was meant to be more for Vinny than anyone else. He wanted to get some multiplayer game action in since he won't be able to do it like that in NY.

Sure but if they stream it out it's also meant to be something for my entertainment and I don#t think this format works well. I think the same when they have segments like this on UPF.

The Yahwg is the only thing that seems to work well since it's not an action game.

SuperTurboMan

Neo Member

That's kind of the way it goes with multiplayer games. Samurai Gunn/Nidhogg/Towerfall/Gang Beasts are all great games and you can see that the crew is having fun playing those games (which is good for the games cause it makes people want to go out and buy them), but it doesn't ever really make for the best viewing content.

With single player games, the viewer has one character to focus in on, with competitive games you have to zoom around constantly to four different places to see where the fun is happening. Plus the commentary is all over the place because of this.

I've watched way too many Giant Bomb videos.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
From the Pizza Show, Nidhogg and Gang Beasts are probably the exciting ones to watch.

Nidhogg because every single confrontation is like a unique battle, and crazy stuff pops off all the time. Gang Beasts because every moment something ridiculous is happening because that game is so fuckin CRAZY with it's controls.

Guys Gang Beasts is so great.

I don't think you can fully judge how a new hire will be on mainly Twitter. Matt and Ryan come across very differently on Twitter than they do in print or on camera.
Where's my Alt+F1 maaaan
They probably haven't recorded it yet. Public holiday on Monday and a packed day for Drew yesterday with the Bombcast and live stream.

Have the guys ever played Starwhal? We had a LAN party last week so I brought a bunch of couch games with me (mostly stuff I've seen on UPF), and while just about all of them were successful Starwhal ended up being the most popular. Proper stupid fun.

edit: And now I get to the point in last night's stream where they ask "Wanna play Starwhal?"

Sectus

I'm rather bummed out Vinny won't be part of normal quick looks and streams anymore now. He is the main reason I watch their videos.

Kyari

I'm rather bummed out Vinny won't be part of normal quick looks and streams anymore now. He is the main reason I watch their videos.

Quick Looks he absolutely will, it sounds like Brad, Jeff and Drew will be doing them as a group and then Alex and Vinny will be doing them as a group. Vinny mentioned studio space on the bombcast this week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Quick Looks he absolutely will, it sounds like Brad, Jeff and Drew will be doing them as a group and then Alex and Vinny will be doing them as a group. Vinny mentioned studio space on the bombcast this week.
The thing is that they need someone running the boards, so the new video guy may allow Drew to appear on QLs, but unless they have someone in NYC or they have a different set up, I'm not sure if we'll see Vinny and Alex on a QL at the same time.

Presumably they can just set up a console next to the mixing/recording set up so it's not as awkward as the Giantbomb set where Drew/Vinny had to constantly run back and forth just to control everything... but if Vinny is playing a game, that means Alex needs to know how to control the production.

I guess, come to think of it, Vinny and Drew have been on QLs together. I wonder if they just leave the whole set up unmanned at that point and hope nothing screws up.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Have the guys ever played Starwhal? We had a LAN party last week so I brought a bunch of couch games with me (mostly stuff I've seen on UPF), and while just about all of them were successful Starwhal ended up being the most popular. Proper stupid fun.

They actually just played it during Vinny's farewell party to bad pizza. Nobody really liked it. Brad thought he did, but he was quickly convinced that he didn't and he actually just liked winning.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The thing is that they need someone running the boards, so the new video guy may allow Drew to appear on QLs, but unless they have someone in NYC or they have a different set up, I'm not sure if we'll see Vinny and Alex on a QL at the same time.

Presumably they can just set up a console next to the mixing/recording set up so it's not as awkward as the Giantbomb set where Drew/Vinny had to constantly run back and forth just to control everything... but if Vinny is playing a game, that means Alex needs to know how to control the production.

I guess, come to think of it, Vinny and Drew have been on QLs together. I wonder if they just leave the whole set up unmanned at that point and hope nothing screws up.

Eh, do they? Alex and Patrick do quick look solos just fine.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eh, do they? Alex and Patrick do quick look solos just fine.
What they're doing is basically a home set up with like some low end capture kit though.

I imagine the point of having Vinny do videos is to make sure things like mixing and sound quality are better than they typically are on the solo videos.

They actually just played it during Vinny's farewell party to bad pizza. Nobody really liked it. Brad thought he did, but he was quickly convinced that he didn't and he actually just liked winning.

Yeah, just got to that point. I guess it's because Jeff's lost his enthusiasm lately.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What they're doing is basically a home set up with like some low end capture kit though.

I imagine the point of having Vinny do videos is to make sure things like mixing and sound quality are better than they typically are on the solo videos.

Yeah, but you can do that in post production. You don't need people doing that live.

Yeah, just got to that point. I guess it's because Jeff's lost his enthusiasm lately.

So everyone not liking a game is also Jeff's fault now?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, but you can do that in post production. You don't need people doing that live.
I don't know their exact set up, but when they do QLs, they are recording at least three versions for redundancies in case something fucks up. So they have someone constantly monitoring those recordings to see if anything needs to be corrected as they are playing the game. It's why, typically, when you here Drew on a QL where Vinny is driving or on the couch, he comes in as "voice of God" since he is on the controls.

Again, who knows what they'll do in NYC and whether Vinny will set up the same work flow. But if they want the quality to match the SF office, then I would expect that he'd want to have a similar set up. I'm sure he's experienced enough to be able to talk to Alex and monitor controls at the same time though, but if he's playing a game, then it would be up to Alex to be the "Drew" in that situation.

Mully

Giant Bomb reminds me a lot of the SOCOM community. Any change in the system suddenly leads to doom and gloom speculation by a small, but loud part of the community.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Gang Beasts just looks amazing. I think they've played it like 4 times now and I always laugh really, really hard at least three times during their battles.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Like those recent FTL videos where Alex' video had much better quality!

Guys, maybe Jeff didn't mean to say senior editor, but señor editor. GB Mexico confirmed!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Giant Bomb reminds me a lot of the SOCOM community. Any change in the system suddenly leads to doom and gloom speculation by a small, but loud part of the community.

Well look at how SOCOM turned out...

And the community was right in that case. Everything post PS2 was trash. MAG was legit though.

SuperTurboMan

Neo Member

(but they were right)

I'm excited if it's Jared, he has a lot of connections to "Famous Youtubers" that could be beneficial to Giant Bomb. Those top 5 countdown videos do make me nervous though.

Patryn

I believe Jeff also mentioned on his Tumblr a possible idea of expanding UPF to three hours and doing an hour at each site: So an hour of GBNY, an hour of GB Chicago, and an hour of GBSF.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I believe Jeff also mentioned on his Tumblr a possible idea of expanding UPF to three hours and doing an hour at each site: So an hour of GBNY, an hour of GB Chicago, and an hour of GBSF.

If this leads to "Let's see what's going on in the GBNY offices!" throws from one location to another, I'm for it.

Bonus points if they're prerecorded segments that they pretend are live via satellite, to give it that real authentic late 80s/early 90s rasslin feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom