• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0185_pnur4.gif

Age: > 35 < 40, subscriber/yearly, USA, got questions into why I liked the subscriber videos and what other content I might like to see. Someone else'll post it, it had a funny label like "please be as brief as humanly possible" or something to that effect.

Zaph

For me, good = bringing different points of view to the table. Another white, middle aged. middle class man probably wont bring that.

If GB was a larger publication, or had all its editors under one roof, I'd agree with you. But right now what they really need, above all else, is a lively, entertaining personality.

Bringing different points of view, opinions, background etc, is all a distant second considering who they're losing from the main office. If they avoid young, white males, probably 90%+ of their applicants are affected, making it a lot harder to find the right person.

KorrZ

For me, good = bringing different points of view to the table. Another white, middle aged. middle class man probably wont bring that.

But a hispanic/black middle aged, middle class man would be OK?

I don't get this viewpoint. They need to hire the best person for the job, no matter who he/or she is.

komplanen

I kinda wishi Matt takes this vending machine temperature rant somewhere and gets results. Otherwise it's just bitching. It's time Matt shows us he's got what it takes. Go Matt!

He'll just be passive aggressive and do nothing

Scizzy

I don't get this viewpoint. They need to hire the best person for the job, no matter who he/or she is.

For a job like this, there's no such thing as a "best person for the job." Is Jared Rosen (if he indeed is getting the job) "better" than, say, Cara Ellison at fucking around and talking about video games? There's no right answer to a question like that while I am quite sure that adding different racial or gender perspectives to the podcast/video content would have real benefits to the site.

jgminto

I think all this hire speculation is really dumb. They'll announce who it is and we'll all be like "Oh, of course that's who it is."

what if zoe and jared have a kid together and hes the editor

like giant bomb is doing this multi generational breeding kwisatz haderach style

the perfect video game journalism bloodline

Kerned

Banned
For a job like this, there's no such thing as a "best person for the job." Is Jared Rosen (if he indeed is getting the job) "better" than, say, Cara Ellison at fucking around and talking about video games? There's no right answer to a question like that while I am quite sure that adding different racial or gender perspectives to the podcast/video content would have real benefits to the site.

I disagree with your premise that there is no "best person for this job" because it's just a bunch of fucking around anyway. That's really dismissive of what the job is and presumes that any qualified person can do it equally well. The best person for the job is the person that best fits in with the chemistry of the existing staff. Introducing diversity just for the sake of diversity won't necessarily have automatic real benefits. Finding the right individual will have real benefits, whatever their race, gender, etc.

Curufinwe

For a job like this, there's no such thing as a "best person for the job."

There's always a candidate who the people hiring consider to be the best. They have to pay the wages and/or work with them day in and day out and depend on them being able to produce quality content under time and other constraints.

You may as well claim that the site would be better if Brad and Drew were replaced by non-white, non-American non-males.

elfinke

Danny's Supply Drop Charity stream.

Sadly was not archived on Giantbomb proper but there is a twitch archive link in this thread somewhere.

Ah, I was just browsing my way over there, based on the youtube comments.

9PQkoTW.gif

/edit: found some excellent work by our own fans back on page ~115 (100pp). Thanks guys.

Zaph

If all GB is is "fucking around and talking about video games" then why is it such a renowned site? Why aren't there dozens of copycats equally popular? Why hasn't someone dethroned them as the top gaming podcast?

Picking new staff is probably the hardest part of Jeff's job as the crew's chemistry is what makes or breaks them.

For a job like this, there's no such thing as a "best person for the job." Is Jared Rosen (if he indeed is getting the job) "better" than, say, Cara Ellison at fucking around and talking about video games?

Exactly. That's why every single member of Giant Bomb is equally popular among its audience. That's also why every random YouTuber gets as many views as a Quick Look. Because it's impossible to be better or worse at fucking around and talking about video games.

Brad is bad at games.

I took that Jeff post as an indication it's not Jared.

Sorry, what Jeff post?

Stimpack

Well, just look at the cboat hate that happened here because he was like wrong about a couple of things.

I don't think anyone is really invested enough to care that much. I assume it has to be pretty well understood that we aren't going to know until they decide to say something about it. I'm still excited and nervous at the same time.

Exactly. That's why every single member of Giant Bomb is equally popular among its audience. Because it's impossible to be better or worse at fucking around and talking about video games.

Brad is bad at games.

It's less about being good at fucking around, and more about having a personality that meshes well with the rest of the cast. Also, some people still like to read articles lol.

*Oh, yes, sarcasm. Well, this is in response to the other guy.

valeo

Middle aged, really? 30s is middle aged now?

When you're nearing 40 I'd consider that middle aged, yes.

Unless you're aiming to live to 100, then all power to you.

Look, I don't disagree with everyone's view that they should just 'hire the best person' - and I don't think that there should be some sort of minority quota they need to hit or whatever. I'm just saying that, while Giant Bomb's audience is probably mostly white, middle class males - the narrow view points can at times be a little grating and opening that up a bit wouldn't be a bad thing.

There's always a candidate who the people hiring consider to be the best. They have to pay the wages and/or work with them day in and day out and depend on them being able to produce quality content under time and other constraints.

You may as well claim that the site would be better if Brad and Drew were replaced by non-white, non-American non-males.

That last part kind of comes from nowhere...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Judging from his last video, Could the Angry Video Game Nerd be joining Giantbomb?????
Well, James Rolfe doesn't even like modern video games anyway.

I don't think anyone is really invested enough to care that much. I assume it has to be pretty well understood that we aren't going to know until they decide to say something about it. I'm still excited and nervous at the same time.
Well, if all you're doing is being coy because you're enjoying the spotlight and trying to get twitter followers when you know all along that you weren't even considered, some people might consider that a dick move. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom