• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giant Bomb never posts much subscriber stuff during E3.

E3 2013 was around June 10 to June 13. GB posted a Unprofessional Fridays on June 7, and other than Patrick posting a Q&A and Brad doing a DOTA no more main subscriber stuff went up until June 20 for a TNT

E3 2012 was around June 5 to June 8, and that year there is basically a two week gap with no subscriber content - May 31 - June 15

...so I do not think any of their E3 videos will be posted behind a wall.

E3 is when every video game website's traffic goes way up, it's a period of time where they get a lot of new listeners. They would be dumb to lock any of that content to subscribers, as people just looking for E3 hides aren't going to subscribe. And with E3 typically having some of GB's best content it's a good way to bring in new members, who in time could become premium members.

E3 is when every video game website's traffic goes way up, it's a period of time where they get a lot of new listeners. They would be dumb to lock any of that content to subscribers, as people just looking for E3 hides aren't going to subscribe. And with E3 typically having some of GB's best content it's a good way to bring in new members, who in time could become premium members.

That was my point posting that. People were asking were GB going to lock their conference talk behind a wall, and I was just showing they never had a history of that, and would not likely start now.

Falifax

Just visited the site and I noticed they have a link to Jeff's C64 video in the upper-left corner where they usually advertise current/upcoming streams. Is this a new thing?

I remember that sometimes articles that got recently posted appeared in that spot, but first time I'm seeing it with a video.

That was my point posting that. People were asking were GB going to lock their conference talk behind a wall, and I was just showing they never had a history of that, and would not likely start now.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, I probably should have worded my response better. Just wanted to give my opinion on why what you said is true.

Xater

Yay Patrick liked my idea! I think that could be a really cool feature. Even if it i just one for ever game.

bildschirmfoto2014-05wiux1.png

Jb

Holy shit it's all but confirmed Dan is the new hire right? This is actually genuinely awesome news, as a fan of Replay on GI he's extactly the brand of energetic and funny dude they need. Plus he has fairly different tastes in games than Jeff/Brad/Vinny. Excellent choice.

Myggen

Holy shit it's all but confirmed Dan is the new hire right? This is actually genuinely awesome news, as a fan of Replay on GI he's extactly the brand of energetic and funny dude they need. Plus he has fairly different tastes in games than Jeff/Brad/Vinny. Excellent choice.

Yeah, pretty much. There was some mention of him by a couple Polygon dudes that made it sound like he would maybe join them (Phil Kollar doesn't count since they've been friends since he was at GI). But that seems to have been trolling, along with Ryckert changing his Twitter pic to the Polygon logo at one point :p There's also him mentioning on his last GI blog that he would do a lot of dumb videos in his new job, which sounds a lot like GB.

Right now it looks like a fucking huge coincidence if Dan takes any other job. He announced that he's taking a month long vacation (probably looking for a place to live in SF etc. too), and Jeff said that the new hire would begin work in about a month. He knows the GB crew, and it makes sense to change the title from associate editor to senior editor since he's been associate editor for about 5 years at GI.

Oh, and he replied in the new hires thread on the GB forum with "Is this position still open?" or something like that. I think Jeff and Dan are just trolling everyone at this point.

edit: He was a top 3 choice for me, so really happy about it too. Don't know much about his taste in games but from what I've seen of him on GB content and the Replays/Super Replays he's a energetic and funny dude, just what GB needs.

So is it true that they are not going to attend the press conferences for E3 and instead are going to watch them live and react like the PS4/Xbox One/Gamescon things? Those were really fantastic.

Yup, announced it on UPF. Smart move imo.

So is it true that they are not going to attend the press conferences for E3 and instead are going to watch them live and react like the PS4/Xbox One/Gamescon things? Those were really fantastic.

Also, Dan would be an excellent fit.

Xater

Great idea!

Thanks. :)

That is a good idea and you're absolutely right!

I've only ever heard about those games, so it would be nice to actually see them in action.

I only ever tried one King's Field so for me it would also be super interesting. Shadow Tower sounds fascinating. There are no normal shops in that game so you have to trade for everything. You can even trade your own health for items. That sounds like an awesome system.

Also, Dan would be an excellent fit.

I was just thinking how that would be the best but they would probably not do it and now they do.

Good idea Xater.

It will provide a good history lesson to people who have not played those games and also provide good content for the site.

#winwin

Thanks for clarifying. I'm really glad they are doing it. I've been thinking for a while how great it would be for them to just watch the conferences live and react on the spot. Plus you don't really get a whole lot out of going to the press conferences in person. Watching a stream is a far superior viewing experience.

I'm now way more excited for E3. We will get videos for all the press conferences plus podcasts. Should be pretty great.

LeBart

Will GB be archiving the press conferences? They dont seem to have the 2013 conferences on their site. Couldnt find them.

If I remember correctly they used gamespot's feed for the press conferences last year. Since they're doing their own thing this year I assume it'll be archived.

Xater

Will GB be archiving the press conferences? They dont seem to have the 2013 conferences on their site. Couldnt find them.

They didn't do the commentary stuff back then so it's not their content to host I guess. You can find for example the PS4 unveiling thing. I would assume since they do commentary this year it will of course be archived.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm really glad they are doing it. I've been thinking for a while how great it would be for them to just watch the conferences live and react on the spot. Plus you don't really get a whole lot out of going to the press conferences in person. Watching a stream is a far superior viewing experience.

I'm now way more excited for E3. We will get videos for all the press conferences plus podcasts. Should be pretty great.

Going to streamed press conferences kinda is a waste of time. I could have gone to last year's Sony Gamescom press event but rather watched that at home.

Fevaweva

Someone in the forum offered the idea that Brad and Rorie should play through Psychonauts since the former has never played it whilst the latter hasn't played it in years.

I would totally watch that.

I hope someone still goes to the E3 conferences and they can report back after the show.

Its cool to know how the crowd reacts to these things. Are people still Kingdom Hearts crazy? Are Microsoft employees still awkwardly cheering whenever someone mentions Internet Explorer? What reveals completely fall flat? etc...

Thinking about it, they'll have Jeff, Alex, Brad, Vinny, Rorie, Patrick and Drew in their hotel/studio space/whatever they're watching the conferences. That's a LOT of snark commentary being thrown around at once, even if Drew is too busy behind the camera to contribute.

I could see them sending Alex, but it depends on the invites. I'm glad they're doing it the way they are anyway. If shit goes down in the conference theatres, I'm sure Danny or someone will fill us in.

Thinking about it, they'll have Jeff, Alex, Brad, Vinny, Rorie, Patrick and Drew in their hotel/studio space/whatever they're watching the conferences. That's a LOT of snark commentary being thrown around at once, even if Drew is too busy behind the camera to contribute.

I could see them sending Alex, but it depends on the invites. I'm glad they're doing it the way they are anyway. If shit goes down in the conference theatres, I'm sure Danny or someone will fill us in.

Have they said if Rorie is going? He didnt last year.

popo

are we done with the hire speculation then? is it safe to come back?

Either way you are unlikely to find out for sure until after E3.

Maybe Jeff should not have mentioned that they had made an offer but an announcement wasn't likely to occur there and then. Unless the person was currently out of work then they are unlikely to give notice on the old job until they have signed papers on the new gig and then it isn't exactly classy to announce your new job right after you gave notice on the last one. Plus it is nice to let the employee announce it first before the employer comments on it - in pretty much everything but professional sports.

Xater

I hope someone still goes to the E3 conferences and they can report back after the show.

Its cool to know how the crowd reacts to these things. Are people still Kingdom Hearts crazy? Are Microsoft employees still awkwardly cheering whenever someone mentions Internet Explorer? What reveals completely fall flat? etc...

The fake cheers over at MS are the most obvious thing ever. Everyone knows when they are happening even on stream.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Watching Dan's clips and his stuff with his dad makes me wonder who else is hiding away at outfits I never visit at all. Guy seems to have the right personality for GB, but I would've never known since I don't care about GI.

I'd actually vote for seeing this guy AND Carrie come on, since she seems like she would've been a candidate way back when.

Aaron

Watching Dan's clips and his stuff with his dad makes me wonder who else is hiding away at outfits I never visit at all. Guy seems to have the right personality for GB, but I would've never known since I don't care about GI.

I'd actually vote for seeing this guy AND Carrie come on, since she seems like she would've been a candidate way back when.
I recommend GI's super replay (endurance run) of Illbleed. Nearly every episode is laugh out loud funny.

I would still definitely love for Carrie to join too at some point. That's assuming she even wants to, I imagine she'll probably still stay in development, not a lot of people make the move back.

Nishastra

Banned
I recommend GI's super replay (endurance run) of Illbleed. Nearly every episode is laugh out loud funny.
All the Super Replays with Dan and Tim are great. It's a shame that so few people pay any attention to GI's videos (though they're hard to follow on Youtube since they repost every trailer for everything ever).

Though now without Dan, I dunno if they'll ever be as much fun again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom