• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucah

you speak so well
Is Dan really joining GB? Because he's amazing in the GI Replay videos. Good choice.

We're not sure but it seems kind of likely at this point - he quit GI, mentioned in his goodbye post that he'd still be showing up in plenty of stupid videos at his new job, is moving to SF for work, is friends with the GB guys and is even already in some content.

Who knows though, the new hire could be a completely unexpected pick.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is Dan really joining GB? Because he's amazing in the GI Replay videos. Good choice.

Well he is Heading to San Francisco.

EeJlgvy.png

new page

Lijik

Yay Patrick liked my idea! I think that could be a really cool feature. Even if it i just one for ever game.

bildschirmfoto2014-05wiux1.png

this is a great idea! and reminds me i need to get around to playing the first Kings Field. Ive been meaning to check it out for a while now

I've tried King's Field 1 and Shadow Tower and it's odd how much of the stuff from the Souls titles is there. Dark, Curse, weird occult faith stuff. Animals that talk like normal humans.
Weird punishing gameplay design decisions.

The funniest part is the ridiculous slow speed. Tilting your head up or down takes YEARS.

roytheone

Just finished watching unprofessional Fridays, and did Jeff say that next week there will be a wrestling podcast? And isn't Dan a regular on there? Could be interesting........

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
this is a great idea! and reminds me i need to get around to playing the first Kings Field. Ive been meaning to check it out for a while now

Kings Field is fantastic...it might be a little hard to get into these days but when it was released, holy shit.

popo

Why on earth would he move to San Francisco to work at polygon?

To turn heel.

Imagine if Polygon and Giant Bomb started a cross promotional rivalry. That would be cool.

I think Chuck means that Polygon don't really have a central office, the staff are scattered all over. One reason they don't post that much video (which either means they wouldn't hire Ryckert or that they specifically hired him to get more in to video features).

Why did Koller move the SF though? Was it because everyone was working out of the Verge offices in the early days?

erawsd

Holy shit it's all but confirmed Dan is the new hire right? This is actually genuinely awesome news, as a fan of Replay on GI he's extactly the brand of energetic and funny dude they need. Plus he has fairly different tastes in games than Jeff/Brad/Vinny. Excellent choice.

Yeah, I tried looking up something hes done on GB and his GOTY lists come up. Seems like someone that can finally carry the torch for Nintendo on GB.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If Dan Ryckert is the new hire, and Danny continues to contribute, I am very optimistic about the future of content on GB.

I hope that with the expanding team on the SF side, and the newly formed duo on the east coast, that we see the GB guys explore more content along the lines of the travelogues and random game events/conventions (ie Brad/Drew in Korea), expand on their idea of candid discussions with developers about their past work, etc.

I love Giant Bomb, but with the tight staff over the last year-ish, pretty much all content outside of E3/GDC has just been some form of the guys commentating while playing a video game. From Jeff's musings on how he sees GB expanding, and Vinny's talks about experimenting with new stuff out east, I'm pretty excited to see where the site goes once everyone's settled in to their new positions.

erawsd

are we done with the hire speculation then? is it safe to come back?

Either way you are unlikely to find out for sure until after E3.

Maybe Jeff should not have mentioned that they had made an offer but an announcement wasn't likely to occur there and then. Unless the person was currently out of work then they are unlikely to give notice on the old job until they have signed papers on the new gig and then it isn't exactly classy to announce your new job right after you gave notice on the last one. Plus it is nice to let the employee announce it first before the employer comments on it - in pretty much everything but professional sports.

Nope. Now we have to obsess and uncover every clue about who the producer will be!

SmithnCo

We're not sure but it seems kind of likely at this point - he quit GI, mentioned in his goodbye post that he'd still be showing up in plenty of stupid videos at his new job, is moving to SF for work, is friends with the GB guys and is even already in some content.

Who knows though, the new hire could be a completely unexpected pick.

He also said he's going to reappear in a month which fits what Jeff said. He'd be a great pick so I hope so.

graboids

Why on earth would he move to San Francisco to work at polygon?

exactly, he could work from anywhere at Polygon...

I am trying to keep my hype level low for this until its made official because Dan is a perfect choice, but it has to be him... following him on twitter the past few years its been obvious he hates SF, so if he is moving there is has to be for something he would think is really awesome and worth going to a place he hates for... maybe he really likes Polygon or IGN but in my mind joining GB would be the one reason he would move there..

But, I dont know him and I may just be rationalizing this in my head so I believe its happening...

Myggen

Just finished watching unprofessional Fridays, and did Jeff say that next week there will be a wrestling podcast? And isn't Dan a regular on there? Could be interesting........

Alex also mentioned that they'd record a new Power Bombcast next week. He's coming to SF a week early. And yes, that will be interesting unless they dodge the whole "problem" by not having Dan on since he's on vacation.

exactly, he could work from anywhere at Polygon...

I am trying to keep my hype level low for this until its made official because Dan is a perfect choice, but it has to be him... following him on twitter the past few years its been obvious he hates SF, so if he is moving there is has to be for something he would think is really awesome and worth going to a place he hates for... maybe he really likes Polygon or IGN but in my mind joining GB would be the one reason he would move there..

But, I dont know him and I may just be rationalizing this in my head so I believe its happening...

As I mentioned earlier, him moving to SF to start a new job at the exact time the new GB hire is starting would, if nothing else, be a huge fucking coincidence if it's not him.

Zaph

If Dan Ryckert is the new hire, and Danny continues to contribute, I am very optimistic about the future of content on GB.
There's a common sentiment that Jeff is 'jaded' on games, but it's just because he doesn't feign excitement for hype. So when he says he's really hopeful about GB's future, I think he really means it.

If they nab Dan, and a couple more later this year, GB could become a beast. Especially as they can now attract talent on the east and west coast.

I hope someone still goes to the E3 conferences and they can report back after the show.

Its cool to know how the crowd reacts to these things. Are people still Kingdom Hearts crazy? Are Microsoft employees still awkwardly cheering whenever someone mentions Internet Explorer? What reveals completely fall flat? etc...

I'm sure some people will be going to at least a few of the conferences. Vinny, Jeff, and Patrick seem to enjoy being there in person. Brad's probably gonna be on the stream all day, he seemed very excited about not having to go.

Dan Ryckert.

Ryckert.

RIKER.

Jonathan Frakes is joining Giant Bomb. That poker quick look four years ago was the first clue, and we all fucking missed it.

It seems like all hints are pointing to Dan Ryckert going to GB and I couldn't be more thrilled! To me, the tone of Giant Bomb is about embracing things that are dumb, embracing things that are fun... and LOVING things that are dumb fun. No one lives the whole "dumb fun" life more than Dan Ryckert. Perfect fit!

I just rewatched Mr "its taken 9 years...LOOK IT UP" DriveClub "I want to sex a car" guy and Over Intense Infamous Guy that wants to kill your family and friends as you watch, with the GB guys talking over it from the PS Meeting

I am hyped for E3 again.

I think we're nearing the point where everyone would be disappointed if Ryckert is going anywhere other than GB, so by allowing this to continue, Jeff and Dan are implicitly confirming that it's true.

#airtightlogic

Myggen

I think we're nearing the point where everyone would be disappointed if Ryckert is going anywhere other than GB, so by allowing this to continue, Jeff and Dan are implicitly confirming that it's true.

#airtightlogic

That's the kind of logic I can get behind!

Zaph

Dan, we know you're lurking, but level with us for a second, will premium members now get a free Air Force Gator ebook with their sub? Or will you at least read it to us during UPF?

Think about what it would do for the sales of Air Force Gator 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom