• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorZ

Dan can be a bit annoying, I agree, but he's been around a while and I've liked some of his past work. Maybe not in voice/on camera, but I've read a lot of his stuff in the past. Similar to Patrick, I like his written stuff, but dislike his on camera personality. Hopefully he can integrate well with Brad and Jeff better than I feel Patrick did especially on quick looks. I never enjoyed QL's that Patrick ran for whatever reason. I typicaly read any articles he puts up though, I just skip his on camera stuff. Hopefully that won't be the same with Dan/actual new hire(s) as he'll basically be replacing Vinny on SF quick looks.

The thing that might help is that Dan could enable some more interesting quick looks of games the crew doesn't typically look at and drag Jeff or Brad into them. Even if I don't enjoy his video stuff my hope is that he'll drag other GB staff in to make it interesting.

I still won't commit to thinking he's the new hire, I immediately was skeptical of the whole Jared Rosen thing since he seemed like such a terrible fit for the position. Dan is a better fit due to his relationship with some of the GB crew and his expereince. But with all the trolling Dan is doing it sure seems like he wants us to think he is the new hire.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can't tell if this Dan Ryckert hate is legitimate or not.

I can't tell anything with this thread anymore.

I hope it's him, he seems like a super cool guy and he could be a positive contribution to the site.

On the wrestling podcasts I remember him on multiple ocassions talking about the hottest WWE Divas and that weirded me out a bit, but I've got faith he could do well.

vgamer1

X4RIZIY.png

njean777

I can't tell if this Dan Ryckert hate is legitimate or not.

I can't tell anything with this thread anymore.

I hope it's him, he seems like a super cool guy and he could be a positive contribution to the site.

On the wrestling podcasts I remember him on multiple ocassions talking about the hottest WWE Divas and that weirded me out a bit, but I've got faith he could do well.

I didn't know talking about hot women was weird....

Anastasia

It's been mentioned before, but with Vinny out of the SF office I think Dan is an excellent choice (has similar qualities to him). I would have preferred a female editor on the site, but I'm totally fine with Dan as well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I didn't know talking about hot women was weird....

It's not just talking about hot women, but it just felt out of context and not really relevant at the time.

I may be misremembering, but it was something like recognizing "this male wrestler is doing great work, this male wrestler is doing great work, this female wrestler is super sexy and deserves to be on stage, this male wrestler is doing great work."

Basically, recognizing the males for their ability, and recognizing the female for her body.

Again, I may be misremembering it, but I remember it coming off as a bit odd.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The only thing I find mildly annoying about any of this is people labelling every joke or teasing/knowing comment as trolling.

BearPawB

Banned
Dan has an acerbic personality. But usually to his coworkers exclusively. I always legitimately thought he pissed off 75% of his coworkers.

But really, he just hasn't had anyone to truly tangle with. Jeff Dan shall be the new amazing combo

It's not just talking about hot women, but it just felt out of context and not really relevant at the time.

I may be misremembering, but it was something like recognizing "this male wrestler is doing great work, this male wrestler is doing great work, this female wrestler is super sexy and deserves to be on stage, this male wrestler is doing great work."

Basically, recognizing the males for their ability, and recognizing the female for her body.

Again, I may be misremembering it, but I remember it coming off as a bit odd.

Let's be honest, though: most female wrestlers aren't getting hired because they can do an above-average chicken wing. I'm not saying that my new giant bomb dad Dan ryckert is in the right on this but, yeah, cmon now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Zaph

Black shirts are for west coast Vinny. East coast Vinny exclusively wears grey shirts.

I thought he got on with his old UK co-host pretty well.

Yeah defiantly, he's worked with them for years. There were just a few GB-centric things that didn't get picked up on.

Myggen

The dude in the picture with Vinny made the best podcast theme of all time: The Bombcast theme. I will not have him mocked!

popo

Not hating here but holy shit does polygon have a lot of staff

http://www.polygon.com/pages/about

I know GB gets stick for not putting out enough content but can you imagine what they could get done with half that staff? Even if some of those are freelance, that is a huge wage bill. I know Vox has a ton of VC cash but they have to be under pressure over there.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just check their youtube channel from time to time and now it's mostly "let's talk about this current thing" Google hangouts and some "Overview" gameplay videos. You would never expect a team like this behind it. They must've brutally cut the video budget.

The problem is everyone at Polygon is scattered across the country, which mostly constrains them to text content since most of them don't have the production skills to put out professional video.

Myggen

I know GB gets stick for not putting out enough content but can you imagine what they could get done with half that staff? Even if some of those are freelance, that is a huge wage bill. I know Vox has a ton of VC cash but they have to be under pressure over there.

Ah, that only reminds me that I do not like the portrait style they've got over there. I get what they're going for, but...

Not to make this into a big Polygon discussion (especially when that's one of the examples in the rules in the OP), but I think they miscalculated by trying to make a big "everything for everyone" site like GS and IGN when that kind of site has been on the decline for years now. I really like some of their bigger features, but they've never found an identity.

Anyways, SF4 QL tomorrow. I can't wait for the YT comments of people screaming in ALL CAPS about how much of a "fucking noob" Jeff is.

Zaph

Yup, I think whatever is going on at The Verge will have knock on effects on Polygon sooner or later. Video content has basically stopped, their youtube channel is 90sec vids and Microsoft ads, half their articles are one paragraph links to other sites, 'list' style click-bait headlines, auto opt-in newsletter. The list goes on.

I don't know if they've had any lay-offs but their content seems significantly reduced - maybe people getting shuffled to other sites like Vox and the new political one?

They had this "new media" mantra across the company, but then massively staffed up in a very "old media" way at a time when internet ad buys hit rock bottom. The VC money has to eventually run out and targets be met?

Polygon's biggest problem is that they didn't really form with a tight crew in one location like The Verge which also bought them instant mainstream credibility with WashPo and Jimmy Fallon. It's just people scattered everywhere with no real direction in their content. I can't think of one thing Polygon does better than any other site aside from making a long form read look pretty.

It reminds me of when Giant Bomb was formed and Jeff would explain the site's focus on personality driven content of what they like, not an outdated "do everything" aim like Gamespot. It's like Polygon did the exact opposite.

Edit: bringing it back round to Giant Bomb - yes, they put out a ton of content for the tiny size. Wish people payed more attention to the massive rosters on other sites when complaining about droughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom