• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

Maybe I'm missing something, but how come there isn't a quick look for MK8?

They haven't got a copy, and with Alex coming tomorrow, they're going to do a quicklook with his copy. Plus all the restrictions on video footage Nintendo may have put up before release.

E92 M3

They haven't got a copy, and with Alex coming tomorrow, they're going to do a quicklook with his copy. Plus all the restrictions on video footage Nintendo may have put up before release.

Thanks, sounds. I know of Nintendo's restrictions, but we're just past that point I think.

Haunted

That reminds me. It's weird how Cliffy B's brother founded Polygon.
You mean Young Clifford's evil twin brother?

cliff_bleszinski.jpg

I'm extremely sad that Vinny is leaving the main studio... Just so much less fun there now, even if the new guy seems good from the videos posted. Not that the videos coming out recently has been that exciting tbh, doubt I will renew my account once that free year I was lucky to get runs out.

komplanen

Now the "people" that ruined this thread past weekend are bumping the Ryan Davis has died thread LOL. I mean it has to be the same people, right? There can't be more?

komplanen

Hopefully, we will have plenty of Vinny silliness in New York. They need to play more old PC games.

I don't want Vinny to be the "Old Stupid Game Guy" of GB. Most of his best material has been from a QL or a modern game like Dark Souls or Persona 4 being played from start to finish. I kinda wish more of the site's content was modern and much less of Greg playing C64 or some other dusty relic.

I don't want Vinny to be the "Old Stupid Game Guy" of GB. Most of his best material has been from a QL or a modern game like Dark Souls or Persona 4 being played from start to finish. I kinda wish more of the site's content was modern and much less of Greg playing C64 or some other dusty relic.

Wait? Is Greg Kasavin the new hire?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is Dan confirmed then? And what kind of soulless ghoul would backlash against him :(

daydream

Banned

The FMV games have been a bit much. Not Vinny's fault, but 'FMV' does not automatically equal 'funny'.

But I totally disagree with the rest. I look forward to every Retro stream and wish they'd do a weekly feature in that vein. It doesn't have to take away from new dusty relics.

Spaghetti

ideally, vinny sort of makes giant bomb nyc his own. i think that's kind of what jeff is counting on too.

the eastern crew will probably be bare-bones and figuring shit out for a while so they may rely on the old favourites of pc games of the 90s and such to smooth out the transition for viewers, but i've got no doubt they'll find their own niche in time.

Lijik

The FMV games have been a bit much. Not Vinny's fault, but 'FMV' does not automatically equal 'funny'.

But I totally disagree with the rest. I look forward to every Retro stream and wish they'd do a weekly feature in that vein. It doesn't have to take away from new dusty relics.

I also dont know if fmv games will play well with the skeleton crew GBNY will have for a while. Part of the appeal is seeing everybodys reaction

komplanen

But old games are so boring and not visceral at all!

FluxWaveZ

I would love to see the return of the Quick Look Throwback. So many classics gone untouched.

Just reminds me of the original.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-throwback-incredible-crisis/2300-1177/

But they play old games all the time and there are already Encyclopedia Bombasticas.

Though, I will say that QL Throwbacks—Incredible Crisis in particular—were the most entertaining video content for me from GB concerning older titles. I prefer modern to retro myself.

DoctorZ

I would love to see the return of the Quick Look Throwback. So many classics gone untouched.

Just reminds me of the original.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-throwback-incredible-crisis/2300-1177/

Its why I sort of dislike the Encyclopedia Bombasticas. In the GB staff's mind they have probably replaced QL Throwbacks and they also think that they covered/will cover many classic games on streams anyways. But nothing can really replace two people or more discussing a classic game in detail with direct gameplay. Jeff I feel can hold a one person Bombastica down pretty well, but I don't enjoy Alex or Patrick's solo videos. I wish the EBs were just a rebranded QL Throwback since the Jeff Gerstmann HoF got scrapped. I have way more fun watching at least two or more GB staff members discuss a game. The interaction between them is what I come to the site for, if I want a solo guy talking over gameplay I can get a ton of that on youtube.

I feel like future Bombasticas should really just be QL Throwbacks, except the person showing the game gives their case as to why the game they chose is one worth paying attention to. It's what I had hoped the JG HoF would have been. Jeff sitting Vinny or Brad down for 20-30 minutes and basically argues his case as to why a game like Zillion should be inducted into the HoF.

Tan

There's no reason they can't have a multi-person encyclopedia bombastica, the NES Strider one was like 4 people.

graboids

I feel like all of Dan's tweets about trying to find an apartment in SF will lead to him moving in with Jeff... or maybe I just dream of those carpool Mixlrs...

Zabant

I feel like all of Dan's tweets about trying to find an apartment in SF will lead to him moving in with Jeff... or maybe I just dream of those carpool Mixlrs...

Makes sense, but Jeff would have to get things straight with his current absentee roomie who from what I gather from Jar Time spends 99% of the time not there, but still pays for the room.

The idiotic mess that San Francisco is right now kinda makes me worried about how easy it will be for GB West to expand. Getting staffers from out of area is going to be a utter nightmare.

FHIZ

That doesn't make a lot of sense. With the sole exception of Microsoft killing of the OG Xbox for the 360, every console developer who released a sequel system did not kill support for their previous system till several years after launch.

Microsoft doesn't have to kill support for the 360, but they have to also give reasons for people to eventually upgrade, and going "Here's this hot new exclusive for the One... thaaaaaaat you can also get on the 360, but buy an Xbox One, please?" is kind of weird and counterproductive of that. It's not like you're seeing Infamous Second Son or Halo 5 on PS3 and 360. Sucks for old console holdouts, but that's the point of new generation hardware, to have games you can't get on the old ones.

Of course, that's from the hardware manufacturer's perspective, they need to sell boxes and provide us reasons to buy those boxes, third parties on the other hand can put their games on as many platforms as they want, because they just care about software numbers.

But who knows, maybe it's because Forza Horizon is the B game or off year game, but having a first party AAA crossgen title seems super weird to me.

conweller

Neo Member
I'm starting to think with all of the SF tweets, Dan is just trolling and isn't really moving out here.

Doubt it. He's following Alexis now. There is literally nobody in the world that would follow Alexis without a specific mandate from their employer that they do so.

Joking, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom