• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

2008 P4 has like 4 scenes where the game finds some excuse to get it's female cast half-naked. I'm not going to say it totally gets into harem-anime terrority with it's fanservice like P4G seems to, but that stuff is still there and it's only there for fanservice.
And no, I'm not counting shadow Rise.

I still find a
full body shot of a teenager in her underwear more egregious than any of those "typical silly anime" moments in the original P4.
Maybe that's just me.

Curufinwe

2008 P4 has like 4 scenes where the game finds some excuse to get its female cast half-naked. I'm not going to say it totally gets into harem-anime terrority with it's fanservice like P4G seems to, but that stuff is still there and it's only there for fanservice.
And no, I'm not counting shadow Rise.

It's not just the female cast who appear half-naked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgACn22G_I8

persona-4-2.jpg

komplanen

Watching the Tower of Guns QL and it's starting to sort of piss me off that Brad (and sometimes others, I guess) keep bitching about the dirtiness of their studio PC and yet no one has done nothing about it. It's been a complaint of Brad's for months now and since he was the one that set them up it's odd that he doesn't just do a full re-install if it's such a problem all the time. Even though Jeff disagreed, the complaint "this ran perfectly fine on the other PC" has become such a recurring thing it's getting ridiculous that they don't just fix the issue. They use the studio PC to play quick looks and live games so many times a week that it should be a high priority to sort it out.

Purple_Tentacle

Neo Member
Watching the Tower of Guns QL and it's starting to sort of piss me off that Brad (and sometimes others, I guess) keep bitching about the dirtiness of their studio PC and yet no one has done nothing about it. It's been a complaint of Brad's for months now and since he was the one that set them up it's odd that he doesn't just do a full re-install if it's such a problem all the time. Even though Jeff disagreed, the complaint "this ran perfectly fine on the other PC" has become such a recurring thing it's getting ridiculous that they don't just fix the issue. They use the studio PC to play quick looks and live games so many times a week that it should be a high priority to sort it out.

Brad tends towards hyperbole. These guys know better than to misrepresent a game's technical performance.

M3z_

Maybe it is just things said in frustration, but some of the things said during the Doran fight were pretty counter to the specific design of the Souls games.

My particular favorite was when Brad states that he could totally beat Doran through attrition if he could just heal reliably and then Vinny says "What if Doran could heal reliably?" and Brad responds "I wouldn't let him". It's like BINGO you got it, the game choose design where it attempts to use some of the same logic you yourself are using. It is attempting to not let you heal the same way you say you would do to it. It doesn't want your victory to be about some inane battle of attrition where you can constantly make mistakes and then just create distance and heal for free. It asks you to feel the tension of having the low life you received from your mistake and accomplish something in the face of that tension so you earn a heal through some form of skill(ie. successive dodging. backstabbing, parrying). It forces you to assume some risk to recover from your mistake, because it wants your mistake to actually mean something and not be a minor bump in the rode that can be brushed off by turning and running away to gobble down some grass.

It surprises me that something like his interest in games like Starcraft 2 and DOTA 2 have not bred an appreciation for the weight of real consequences in games because I think competitive games can generally teach a player a lot of really good lessons about rewarding intelligent decision making and precision while punishing the opposite. You take early damage in Starcraft 2 you probably are going to have to cut some corners to catch back up economically to get back in the game. I'm not familiar enough with DOTA 2, but I'm am quite sure the same thoery or balance exists with teams falling behind in leveling as well.

I know it is stupid to let small comments said in frustration irk you, and usually they do not because I can rationally understand the mind frame of being frustrated However hearing the core strength of a game be brought up as a wart is disheartening.

Igo

I was actually wrong about the Crescent Falchion above. I just realized a single R2 one-handed attack does do slightly less damage than a two-handed attack. This is only true for a single attack though as two-handing will always combo into more damage. R2(2H)-R2(2H) > R2(1H)-R2(1H).

This should be true for all curved swords regardless of enhancement or scaling.

Stupid Demon's Souls. Load to due some weapons tests and end up playing for hours.

Hence why it's not a feature I'm particularly interested in.

I appreciate the fact that it's being put out as content, however, to a degree, there should be a small push to entertain and progress

I don't think Brad realizes one of his jobs is to entertain.

Maybe it is just things said in frustration, but some of the things said during the Doran fight were pretty counter to the specific design of the Souls games.

My particular favorite was when Brad states that he could totally beat Doran through attrition if he could just heal reliably and then Vinny says "What if Doran could heal reliably?" and Brad responds "I wouldn't let him". It's like BINGO you got it, the game choose design where it attempts to use some of the same logic you yourself are using. It is attempting to not let you heal the same way you say you would do to it. It doesn't want your victory to be about some inane battle of attrition where you can constantly make mistakes and then just create distance and heal for free. It asks you to feel the tension of having the low life you received from your mistake and accomplish something in the face of that tension so you earn a heal through some form of skill(ie. successive dodging. backstabbing, parrying). It forces you to assume some risk to recover from your mistake, because it wants your mistake to actually mean something and not be a minor bump in the rode that can be brushed off by turning and running away to gobble down some grass.

It surprises me that something like his interest in games like Starcraft 2 and DOTA 2 have not bred an appreciation for the weight of real consequences in games because I think competitive games can generally teach a player a lot of really good lessons about rewarding intelligent decision making and precision while punishing the opposite. You take early damage in Starcraft 2 you probably are going to have to cut some corners to catch back up economically to get back in the game. I'm not familiar enough with DOTA 2, but I'm am quite sure the same thoery or balance exists with teams falling behind in leveling as well.

I know it is stupid to let small comments said in frustration irk you, and usually they do not because I can rationally understand the mind frame of being frustrated However hearing the core strength of a game be brought up as a wart is disheartening.

That's Broken Brad talking, too many Crystal Lizard antics, too many tough bosses, too many bloodstain runs (and too many Vinny Trolls). :D

Curufinwe

I killed Doran with poison cloud. He didn't even move.

So has anyone actually checked out Lumosity? I'm kinda curious to be honest.

I downloaded the app on my iPhone. It was kinda neat but I fell out of it quickly because there didn't seem to be much variety in the games unless you were willing to pay for their "Premium" service.

M3z_

I killed Doran with poison cloud. He didn't even move.

That kind of stuff never bothers me, if people choose to play the game in a way that exploits mechanics that is fine with me. I have absolutely gone down that road before. I totally do not care how people choose to play the game, that is entirely up to them. I specifically did not criticize anything about the way Brad choose to beat the encounter, I was just irked by some of the remarks he made about how if it were any other game he'd be able to runaway and heal and other things of that nature.

So has anyone actually checked out Lumosity? I'm kinda curious to be honest.
I actually had downloaded it not too long before they started to advertise it. It's not too bad. There's a few decent little games in there (I like this one that flashes a grid with 45 degree blocks that you have to recall in order to predict a path that a ball will travel), but they tend to repeat a little more than I would like. It seems like there is a decent variety, but they like to serve you the same ones regularly.

Since it's free, definitely give it a look. It's not going to change your world, but it's a fun little thing to load up once in a while.

demidar

I killed Doran with a combination of plague and a Light Weapon enchanted estoc. I have the capabilities of killing him without being hit, but I might as well hasten the process.

Regardless, Allant was a weakling compared to Doran.

I killed Doran with a combination of plague and a Light Weapon enchanted estoc. I have the capabilities of killing him without being hit, but I might as well hasten the process.

Regardless, Allant was a weakling compared to Doran.

Indeed, Doran is the true King of Boletaria.

Going from doing 800-1000 damage on reposites to 200 was extremely demoralizing fighting him.

popo

Didn't the news of Michael Jackson dying break during the last poster signing stream? It is clearly cursed. Which celeb or celebs will it claim this time? Fingers crossed for Kim and Kanye.

Zornack

Didn't the news of Michael Jackson dying break during the last poster signing stream? It is clearly cursed. Which celeb or celebs will it claim this time? Fingers crossed for Kim and Kanye.

Do you know where to find that video? Also, does anyone know the name of the video where they pretended to be Wikipedia during the internet blackout protest?

Edit: Found the Wikipedia one.

LackingSaint

Neo Member
I'm a couple Breaking Brads behind, so forgive me for being "late", but I love Vinny and Brad talking about their school-lives. From what i've gathered of those guys over the years, the stark contrast between Jeff and Brad as far as school is amazing; Brad just sort of slid by in school while spending most of his time online and rarely going out, while Jeff was like "fuck school" and constantly out doing other things.

Basically Brad was Michael Cera and Jeff was Jonah Hill.

chogidogs

I guess it was never meant to be. I tried buying a hoodie instead because I had buyer's anxiety and it appears they no longer ship to the Philippines. Bummer!

Eternia

I did not expect them to move that quickly and missed it. I probably would have been better off staying up late instead of waking up early, couldn't get my eyes focused on this bright Dell screen within the 3 minutes they were available lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom