• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
First time seeing it and I'm not sure I understand the towerfall hype, I'm sure it must be fun to play but it wasn't very engaging to watch. I was expecting something more frantic and exciting like nidhogg

I;ve seen two of my roomies playing. It looks okay, even though im in the same room i just start wondering...'huh...?'

I think the good part about Towerfall is the sheer amount of options you have. You get friends together, get some drinks, and keep randomizing the variants. You then have to try to adapt to the absurd game modes it creates. It's not as tight and frantic as Samurai Gunn, but it has a lot more ways to play the game.

Last (non) jar time was live from vegas February. Jeff says he doesn't get that many questions any more - which makes sense as he answers them on tumblr..

This is one of the many trends that irk me over at GB. They've kinda become the thing they used to joke about 'follow us on these various social networks' which are external from our main site.

I understand that they need a personal outlet for some of the dumb shit they do that mightn't be game related (that doesn't stopping them having a wrestling, film and now F1 podcast though? anyway) but at least save the meatier questions from tumblr to use those in the Jar Time videos. Jar Time was one of my favourite features from the Premium feed, felt like the old 'Points!' videos from Gamespot Jeff used to do. Jeff can sometimes spit some soothsayer truth about the industry in those videos.

Patryn

This is one of the many trends that irk me over at GB. They've kinda become the thing they used to joke about 'follow us on these various social networks' which are external from our main site.

I understand that they need a personal outlet for some of the dumb shit they do that mightn't be game related (that doesn't stopping them having a wrestling, film and now F1 podcast though? anyway) but at least save the meatier questions from tumblr to use those in the Jar Time videos. Jar Time was one of my favourite features from the Premium feed, felt like the old 'Points!' videos from Gamespot Jeff used to do. Jeff can sometimes spit some soothsayer truth about the industry in those videos.

I think the lack of jar times also has to do with Jeff trying to cut down on working at home so much. I know he talked a few times about how he knew it was crazy that he'd be working in the office all day, then come home and shoot more videos for the site. I believe he talked about wanting to improve the private life/work life balance.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized that they didn't have the 8-4 guys and gals on, eventhough they were at GDC. What a wasted opportunity! Could've talked about the reception of next-gen in Japan for example. Or Hatsune Miku.

I think the lack of jar times also has to do with Jeff trying to cut down on working at home so much. I know he talked a few times about how he knew it was crazy that he'd be working in the office all day, then come home and shoot more videos for the site. I believe he talked about wanting to improve the private life/work life balance.

Yeah I guess, as he did pretty much literally just do those in the dark eve's or on a Sunday which is unfair to him. I always thought he did it though 'cause he wanted to do it, in an EDtv sort of way, like he does with his car streams and such. But maybe making it an actual regular feature made it a chore to do, anyway.

He could do them at the office though, change the format. Make it something cheesy like 'Notes from the Editor' or 'Editors Mailbag' like an old magazine question time. Everyone but Jeff seems to be streaming at this point, maybe he could do like a 'Road to EVO' stream. Him getting better at SF or whatever before he goes to EVO.

An unpopular opinion but I'd like something that isn't Dark Souls or DOTA

demidar

I just realized that they didn't have the 8-4 guys and gals on, eventhough they were at GDC. What a wasted opportunity! Could've talked about the reception of next-gen in Japan for example. Or Hatsune Miku.

Shoulda asked them about Metal Gear Rising's craziness since they're the ones who localized that game.

popo

He said something about not wanting all that stuff to put off casual visitors who only come to watch and read about new releases etc. That is why most of the tangential stuff is premium or off site.

Personally I think reading Q&A is much more time efficient that a video feature. It is like the video FAQS that the guys lament. Sometimes text is just a better medium.

They were also working the whole show so likely didn't have a ton of spare time. Mark was on last year and looked pretty tired out (he didn't make a single rape joke the whole stream!). They also have their podcast as a outlet for the talk you mentioned.

I want to propose that Giant Bomb give Dave Lang and John Viniaki (sp?) their own show where they bring on an industry veteran every week and tell old stories. And make sure Dave is drunk as shit.

Which GDC videos are worth going through and is the Unprofessional Fridays ever going back up? Been busy with school lately and getting Dark Souls II in where I can so way behind on giantbomb content.

FStop7

Banned
Barnett's problem is that he is cheerleading the absolute basest, laziest, reductive, bottom feeding implementation of F2P with all the phony enthusiasm of a typical company man.

Valve and Blizzard are showing how F2P can be done right. You can compete at the top (Legendary ranked) echelon of players in Hearthstone without spending a dime. You can be the world DotA2 champion and never have bought a chest key.

Dungeon Keeper is not that. It's a half-assed, cynical cash grab and it deserves to be called out as such.

Barnett's problem is that he is cheerleading the absolute basest, laziest, reductive, bottom feeding implementation of F2P with all the phony enthusiasm of a typical company man.

Valve and Blizzard are showing how F2P can be done right. You can compete at the top (Legendary ranked) echelon of players in Hearthstone without spending a dime. You can be the world DotA2 champion and never have bought a chest key.

Dungeon Keeper is not that. It's a half-assed, cynical cash grab and it deserves to be called out as such.

Which segment was this?

wizard

Banned

Hearthstone shouldn't be compared to Dota, not only is it a bad game but the grindfest needed to be competitive is gruling and arduous. You can't buy anything in Dota to make yourself better.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah, I just got around to watching that part of the show, and I agree.

The way he tried to characterise the people who criticised his game was bizarre too. He had a prepared list of the type of people who criticised his game, none of which included people who had played it and had genuine complaints. Nope, it was all people who hadn't played it and who wished death upon them.

Ken

Wait, Hearthstone is a grindfest? People kept saying how generous it was with daily quests or whatever.

you still have to put in quite some time before amassing a decent collection.

daily quests can net you around 40~60 gold, 3 wins nets you 10 gold, and packs cost 100.

really depends on what you're grinding towards though? i'll defend it by saying that you're grinding by actually playing the game, and more experience is always good when trying to learn/master a card game

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like CBSi finally closed the site. Expected after last Thursday.

Best of luck to everyone in their future endeavors.

They finally crossed the line, or should I say the Lang. The expansion of the Lang zone eventually caused a black hole that swallowed the entire CBSi building.

They finally crossed the line, or should I say the Lang. The expansion of the Lang zone eventually caused a black hole that swallowed the entire CBSi building.

No amount of meeting could repair what was done.

At least Brad can move straight onto updating AnimeGet - should not be that big of a change.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Site's up. Thanks Dave.

Speaking of that GDC stream, I loved when Lang or Johnny, forget who, called out someone at Midway, and Ed Boon's reaction was actually "oh shit I can't believe they said that". They were pretty much too drunk to be on a live stream.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

I've gotta ask, what is it you wanted from him? I agreed with the guy who posted before that when you're forced into doing something unpopular at your work, you just have to take a bite out of that shit sandwich or find another job. But what could he really say at this get-together with friends that would appease anyone?

hamchan

Probably not saying anything or making a one liner joke then moving on to a different topic, would have been better for Barnett. Well, that's what I would do if I knew my product was not good. Unless he really does believe what he's saying, which is a bit scary if he does.

SummitAve

Banned
Probably not saying anything or making a one liner joke then moving on to a different topic, would have been better for Barnett. Well, that's what I would do if I knew my product was not good. Unless he really does believe what he's saying, which is a bit scary if he does.

How can you say that product was not good? There's a ton of people enjoying it and spending money. He knows it's good.

SummitAve

Banned
I could probably say the same about pachinko machines

Sure. I'm pretty sure he talked all about how it's a different type of game for a different type of audience. Arcade machines were essentially slot machines too, it's all gaming.

I don't want to side one way or the other, but it's hard to discount the opinions of tens of millions of people.

I've gotta ask, what is it you wanted from him? I agreed with the guy who posted before that when you're forced into doing something unpopular at your work, you just have to take a bite out of that shit sandwich or find another job. But what could he really say at this get-together with friends that would appease anyone?

He could not go on a 15 min rant defending it with terrible arguments... Especially in a show where everyone seemed to be there to have some fun, it seemed very odd to have him come on and be that defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom