• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

i wonder if someone's written explicitly about how arcade mechanics influenced overall game design beyond the well-known 'shit was hard cos they wanted you to pump quarters into it'.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Probably not saying anything or making a one liner joke then moving on to a different topic, would have been better for Barnett. Well, that's what I would do if I knew my product was not good. Unless he really does believe what he's saying, which is a bit scary if he does.
He was wearing a DK tshirt...which you could either take as a sign of delusion or irony, I dunno.

Shosai

Banned
i wonder if someone's written explicitly about how arcade mechanics influenced overall game design beyond the well-known 'shit was hard cos they wanted you to pump quarters into it'.

It's a per-company thing. After Atari's collapse, the western game industry was reborn off of the pc platform, which caused most game design trends unique to western development to be derived from the hardware's features. Mouse + keyboard control schemes, modding, reusable middleware, and online gaming. Midway was the one exception, they began and remained an arcade-centric company up until their shutdown.

Japanese game development was born out of the arcades and held onto those roots as they transitioned into console development.

If you're asking about specific gameplay features that came from the arcade: high scores, limited lives, title screens, "the 90-second rule"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
fCjJFLC.png

Brashnir

I don't know about anything explicitly written about the subject, but Arcade design varied substantially from the early days of finite-time experiences, such as penny-operated short films, gambling pinballs, and so on down the line to the age of recreation pinball, and video games.

One of the biggest changes of the video game era was the switch from the early games which had to balance being hard enough to get people off the machine with being entertaining enough to get them to try again, to the later games where infinite continues came along and being successful a game became more a matter of attrition than skill. This later era is the one that more resembles the modern mobile environment, and the fact that it came toward the end of the video game arcade era may be a mere coincidence or it may not be.

Jintor

Browsing through old casts on my phone, see a random Giant Bomb Gaming Minute from months ago I never listened to. Throw it on as I start the dishes.

Distinctive mario coin sound, then 30 seconds of hardcore Bravely Default battle music. "Uh..." I think to myself, then suddenly - "IRRASHAIMASEN!!!!!"

Yeah, it was the 8-4 cast they mistakenly uploaded to the wrong feed that my podcast app caught before they took it down.

Recall

Please tell me there's going to be an FFX HD quicklook. I've been looking forward to that for months!

Why would you look forward to watching people dismiss and criticise the game?

The game looking prettier won't change their stance on how they feel about the game and its gameplay.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Why would you look forward to watching people dismiss and criticise the game?

The game looking prettier won't change their stance on how they feel about the game and its gameplay.

I like it when the guys talk about my favourite games of course :) and especially when it's a game I've finished it adds a different air to a Quicklook, like GZ.

I don't see them criticising it since it's from the good era.

Brad has talked up that game on a few piece of content, so I think he might be doing one

Here's hoping! He's the person I'd expect to lead it, alongside Vinny. I doubt Jeff would get involved.

Why are we different...

Buckfast Tonic Wine (green bottle)
Sold in the United Kingdom.

Red wine based aperitif, 15% v/v.
Sodium glycerophosphate, an emulsifier.
Dipotassium phosphate, a protein stabiliser
Disodium phosphate, a stabiliser and emulsifier.
Caffeine, 37.5 mg/100ml (i.e. 0.0375% w/v)
Vanillin

Buckfast Tonic Wine (brown bottle)
Sold exclusively within the Republic of Ireland.

Red wine, 14.8% alcohol
Sodium and potassium glycerophosphates - both measured at 0.65% w/v
Disodium phosphate
Caffeine, 55 mg/100ml (i.e. 0.055% w/v)
Sulphite preservatives

Just watched part of 5 of the GDC videos and holy shit, I haven't laughed that hard in ages. Almost died when Jeff looked at the camera after mentioning talking to Johnny V's wife later. Please tell me someone has a gif of that.

Zaph

It's a great country to be from but not exactly a great country to be in.
Last time I was in Ireland, it was plastered with political posters regarding austerity and the mood felt completely different. This was two years ago. Heading over again soon, I hope things have improved for them.

Kerned

Banned
If I have no interest in or knowledge of Formula 1 racing, is there any reason for me to listen to ALT-F1? Or is it "about" F1 but actually full of tangents, stories and interesting conversations about other topics?

Ken

If I have no interest in or knowledge of Formula 1 racing, is there any reason for me to listen to ALT-F1? Or is it "about" F1 but actually full of tangents, stories and interesting conversations about other topics?

seems to be mostly about F1, but it might plant an interest in F1 if you give it a listen!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Last time I was in Ireland, it was plastered with political posters regarding austerity and the mood felt completely different. This was two years ago. Heading over again soon, I hope things have improved for them.

When election times comes around, the whole city seems to be taken over by those disgusting posters cable-tied to every available lamppost and electricity pole they can find.

Having watched 1 then skipping to 5... how is Jeff sober @ 5 o_O

Jeff is a big dude. He's 6' 3" I think, part Irish, and all he really had to drink was one bottle of that Buck Fast. Also he didn't stand up for like that whole thing. Maybe if he stood up before the last segment he woulda got loose as shit. lol

Its probably for the best being eic and all. :p

It's worth it if you just like the sweet voices of Drew and Danny. They're very friendly towards people who know nothing about F1, too, explaining everything they're talking about.

It's worth it if you just like the sweet voices of Drew and Danny. They're very friendly towards people who know nothing about F1, too, explaining everything they're talking about.

Yeah I've really enjoyed the first 2 because they're just amicable cool dudes and they explain everything which is great.

hamchan

Nah it's pretty much all F1 talk but they are explaining everything for new viewers of the sport. It might make you interested in watching it.

Yaiba looks like a better version of Castlevania: LoS's gameplay and it's sorta funny, too~ Shame about the length, though.

The QL definitely made me more interested in that game than I was before. I think I might actually get it some time down the road.

Mesoian

Yaiba looks like a better version of Castlevania: LoS's gameplay and it's sorta funny, too~ Shame about the length, though.

The QL definitely made me more interested in that game than I was before. I think I might actually get it some time down the road.

I could have gone without a ballgag joke within the first 30 seconds of the game.

I know that it's supposed to be a game from the eyes of basically a fodder enemy in NG, but still...::Shakes head::

Lets not go crazy there

CLoS looks to have zero fun in the combat department, not to mention those quicktime events... I've gone crazy. :[

Though to be honest, I don't really like brawlers in that style to begin with. I think the closest I've ever gotten to them was the Batman Arkham games, which are decidedly different in style, design, and gameplay.

Just got my poster! It's not the elusive Alexis signature one nor the elusive Drew blood one, which means a temporary setback in my plan to plunder Alexis' bank account to fund an army of Drew clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom