• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's not solely about polite or impolite, but social context as well. On a livestream for an after-hours party at a developer conference, with a developer for the title next to you, is yes, probably an impolite time to say "Dungeon Keeper is a shitty game with a terrible business model that's the grossest thing ever." What would that accomplish, except give people in this thread the thing they're looking for? It would be terribly awkward for everyone else present. As it was, people like Rami(?) from Vlambeer made their opinion heard without being an asshole about it.

Ugh, like the assumptions people make sometimes about the relationships between people based on such a tiny percentage of visible interactions blows my mind.

Comparing this to the Dave Lang stuff seems really misplaced, because the dynamic seems totally different and done for laughs. Who knows, really, that's just my read and assumption of it, but they're probably not actively bullying Lang you guys, sorry to spoiler that.

I think there's a difference between saying "I didn't like Dungeon Keeper" and "Why did you rape my favourite game?". Jeff didn't even express his known opinion, even when Burnett was rattling off reviews he was getting from the team.

sixghost

I think there's a difference between saying "I didn't like Dungeon Keeper" and "Why did you rape my favourite game?". Jeff didn't even express his known opinion, even when Burnett was rattling off reviews he was getting from the team.

I think it's up to the guest to set the tone in these things. If they want to show up and pretend this is some interview with IGN, then the GB guys are going to grit their teeth and hope they eventually say something interesting. The best segments are when they have other guests that are intelligent enough to call out that guy on their own, like when Johnathan Blow was on with the Microsoft guys.

It definitely wasn't the type of setting where they should crucify Paul or burn bridges. I'm sure he knows how they feel about the game and really what can he say? That's why I just wanted to him get off the subject. Seemed like he had a rough day as well from what he said at the start. Wasn't the right time or place. Especially sitting next to two devs who seemed to certainly have no qualms about tearing the shit out of him. What he did say was kinda interesting, to get that point of view from someone on the inside was cool.

Zaph

Not as much money as Clash of Clans (or Candy Crush Saga or even Puzzle & Dragons), though. I'm not sure that anyone has figured out how to make that sort of cash on non-exploitative games. Can you expect a publically-traded company to go after 'good enough' ROI? If you were a shareholder, and not a gamer, would you be okay with that?
I think you're missing the context of my post. I couldn't care less if EA wants to chase Clash of Clans/P&D/Candy Crush etc, they're free to do so and if there's a lot of money to be made there, go wild. But don't pretend you're trying to make something of worth.

The point of all this is that they couched their shitty F2P cash-in in a beloved IP and were then surprised to receive the ire of the gaming community. On top of that he's acting oblivious to what they're doing and pretending it's the only way to revive old IPs, like no other type of Dungeon Keeper game could ever be profitable.

To perfectly illustrate the problem, listen to what Johnny V said less than an hour later: Disney invited the P&D guys in to try to figure out "how to chase the dragon". That's owning it. No bullshit pretences about the type of game they want to make or why they're making it. They're not going to then release Clash of Grim Fandango and act surprised why everyone now hates them.

Not as much money as Clash of Clans (or Candy Crush Saga or even Puzzle & Dragons), though. I'm not sure that anyone has figured out how to make that sort of cash on non-exploitative games. Can you expect a publically-traded company to go after 'good enough' ROI? If you were a shareholder, and not a gamer, would you be okay with that?

revenue wise WoW was pulling numbers that high in its peak but its dev and running costs would be way up compared to these mobile games

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
What they should have done was set up a ticket system in advance of Paul's appearance, whereby one ticket cost one dollar and granted the purchaser one minute to talk. Potentially millions to be made from Paul alone. Special obfuscatory pricing model value pack price of $13.99 for 64 mini-tickets - one mini-ticket is good for three seventeenths of a normal ticket. It's the best value trust us.

Went and watched the section with Dungeon keeper that everyone is going on about..

It sounded to me like they all made their points of contention known and then moved on with the conversation.

Maybe I'm missing something though.

For those of you with an issue on how that went..were you expecting them to go full Angry Joe and just get freaking weird with people they disagree with?

Went and watched the section with Dungeon keeper that everyone is going on about..

It sounded to me like they all made their points of contention known and then moved on with the conversation.

Maybe I'm missing something though.

For those of you with an issue on how that went..were you expecting them to go full Angry Joe and just get freaking weird with people they disagree with?

Basically, if you don't get as angry as I want you too in a conversation you have a professional and personal relationship with, you're obviously not really on the side of real gamers, man.

Recall

Just watched the 2nd part of the GDC stream they have up on the site and it was glorious, also holy shit at the Samurai Gunn soundtrack at the end. I had no idea it sounded like that and was totally blown away.

Kelas

yeah what the hell was that

He did it last year as well.

I'm probably crazy, but I swear he does it because he believes his own "amazing" storyteller reputation hype. Like he's the focal point, sitting cross legged at the camp fire, ready to regale us with a wondrous tale of insight and fascination.

Its nice to see Phil Fish again.

I look forward to being high as fuck and playing his inevitable VR thing.

Fez II being VR kind of makes weird sense IMO.

Mr. F

Banned
He did it last year as well.

I'm probably crazy, but I swear he does it because he believes his own "amazing" storyteller reputation hype. Like he's the focal point, sitting cross legged at the camp fire, ready to regale us with a wondrous tale of insight and fascination.

True or not, this makes me even more annoyed at the guy lol. Shoes on furniture makes me cringe in general, though.

Kelas

True or not, this makes me even more annoyed at the guy lol. Shoes on furniture makes me cringe in general, though.

Yeah, if nothing else it just seems rude/impolite. I'm sure no one there was actually bothered or offended, but it ain't right!

Oh man, I'm just listening to Paul's section now. I haven't seen that much dancing since my early 20s. Should've just admitted it wasn't the best approach and they're going to be better about it instead of comparing dungeon keeper to television programming from the 50s.

yatesl

I hate Dungeon Keeper iOS as much as the next guy, but that definitely wasn't the right venue for it. He knows what went wrong (as much as he doesn't say it), no point getting all awkward on the stream - you had drunken Dave Lang and Max Tempkin to do that for you.

Plus, he's British, so I have to instantly defend the guy.

I've finally watched part 4 of the GDC video - it was a very interesting discussion. From the talk in this thread, I thought it'd be a vicious fight but it was much more civil and orderly than I expected.

Oh man, I'm just listening to Paul's section now. I haven't seen that much dancing since my early 20s. Should've just admitted it wasn't the best approach and they're going to be better about it instead of comparing dungeon keeper to television programming from the 50s.

To be fair to Paul, he'd probably be fired or demoted if he said anything less than "we did the right thing" and "it's the future of the medium." A lead position in a large corporation undoubtably requries you to drink the corporate kool-aid.

Paul's clearly had some training on what to say about DKiOS, as he kept the discussion five paces away from the horrible microtransaction scheme and terrible design that it had. Fortunately Rami (and the Frog Fractions guy - Jim?) wouldn't tolerate his obfuscation; I think Rami was actually trying to sway Paul near the end, around when they were talking about patience.

It was a great guest set-up on the part of Giant Bomb, so major kudos to them for making it possible. Also very good that Jeff and Patrick stayed neutral on the matter, that really isn't a good place to ambush someone with criticism.

Fake edit: I'm surprised they didn't talk about Valve's free-to-play set-up at all - though I suppose they were focused more on mobile.

P.P.S.: Paul, don't wear a Dungeon Keeper jacket - it's too soon.

PBY

Banned
Guys. Can some one please please please link me the UPF? Username: peterb0y

Been trying to watch it for the past 2 days unsuccessfully

Dragon

Banned
So I saw that UPF was up earlier but now it's not anymore? Weird.

I subscribe, I'm DragonBomb over there, can someone PM me a link?

Patryn

So I saw that UPF was up earlier but now it's not anymore? Weird.

I subscribe, I'm DragonBomb over there, can someone PM me a link?
Again, at least for me the UPF they posted had major audio sync issues after the Galak-Z guys left. Guessing I'm not the only one, so they pulled until it could be fixed.

Kerned

Banned
Could someone please PM me a link to UPF? I'm a premium member, the GB user name is the same here as it is there. I would appreciate it a bunch!

I really like Paul Barnett and I definitely despised the DK free to play, but having been someone who was put in charge of a super unpopular project at work, sometimes you just do the best you can and have to be defensive. I did agree with some of what he said, but I do wish that he had ended it with "You have no idea how much worse it could have been!" but his media training/survival instinct stopped that.

Free to Play is here to stay though. I wouldn't put a quarter in an arcade machine for a life these days, but people did that a LOT back in the day and were totally fine with it.

EDIT: I should sell that on a shirt:

FREE TO PLAY
HERE TO STAY

Quasar

I dunno. I agreed with him for the most part. Even if I've not liked several of the attempts to bring older games to platforms where free-to-play + micro is the default and probably only option for mainstream success.

The mentioning of integration of ads into programs early TV days style amused me given thats the only way it seems to work on podcasts.

I thought this bit was probably the only decent bit of the whole extravaganza.

Jintor

I found his talk relatively refreshing as long as you keep in mind his position.

It's like, 'sif he was going to rag on the model. And honestly, I think he probably does believe what he's saying, at least in regards of 'this is early days and it's gonna be a shitshow before we find an equilibrium'.

Nobody has figured out the perfect balance for ipad games yet, so it's okay to make completely disgusting games with IAPs that seem to be actively balanced to be as terrible as physically possible.

Because logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom