• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick offered to leave when he moved, so Jeff clearly values his work. It would have been a guilt free way of getting rid if Jeff had secret reservations about him.

Someone once asked Jeff on tumblr why he hasn't fired Patrick yet and Jeff replied "I'm actually wondering why I haven't given him a raise yet."

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yep, that's why I stopped watching/listening to Bombin' the AM. Patrick tends to take a long time to get simple points across and sometimes drowns out Alex in the process. They don't have the best chemistry in that regard if you ask me. I think that's also why the episodes with guests have been better, they balance that out.

I like Patrick, but I do admit that I shut off the video very early when he spent seemingly minutes on end reiterating the same points on infamous that Alex discussed more eloquently with a fraction of the verbage and adjectives necessary. Its a staple of his for sure, happened all the time on the Bombcast.

Not even sure what the deal is regarding MGS since I missed that segment and I haven't played the game yet. Something about being anti-rape?

I am not offended but when its repeated that "I haven't played inFamous but their storys are bad" then proceed to tell a company their arm-chair quaterbacking is the worst kind of beard (goatee) stroking I have heard in awhile.

I know Patrick is a SGW and thats fine. He is also a fan of horror film, some of the most cruel, gross, misogynistic/racial trope laden genre in cinema. Its also not for me and thats fine. Patrick needs to understand that games have become diverse enough and have their own mechanics so specialized that, in Alex's words are "Not my cup of tea".

That said, thats what makes GiantBomb amazing; they all have their softspots to specific genre with a bit of cross-over. Patrick, who should be commended, is willing to play and try new games but sometimes poorly writes or describes the game. His lets-play/audio dump trucks fills the vacuum of his inability to create a well written piece.

Alex and Patrick have moved from fact finding and reporting to their own thoughts and opinions of games they are kinda playing, which is not what I am looking for from them.

Sooo, a Dragon Ball thing then?

Someone please shop Patrick going Super Saiyan and blasting some stupid bigot with his 10x Kamehameha.

2615389-sjw.jpg

SJW was never the same once The White Knight lost the championship

Bwahahahahaha, turning stupidity into brilliant love. GJ guys.

Listening to bombin' in the am... it was a total non-discussion when they were talking about metal gear solid. It was like 10 straight minutes of using overwrought language to tactfully step around the sensitive topics. Patrick even went on a wholesale meta-tangent about how he's allowed to disagree with Kojima's creative choices. Which was just.. uninteresting. I don't use this word lightly, but it kinda felt fake. In that I doubt this is how that discussion would have gone without microphones. Not that they should be 100% unrestrained all the time.. they just need balance. I like the general feel in the air regarding empathy and civility in online discussion.. but take the gloves off guys. I have no patience for people pussyfooting around what they want to say, even close friends.

*still likin the show, obviously. just my input since it seems like they're still finding their voice.

Nah, he catches alot of flak for his opinions, right/wrong, personal/critique of others, so he tends to encapsulate himself alot as a precaution.

Then he forgets the original point sometimes. :p

Into

Great moment in VinnyVania part 2, lol Vinny got destroyed mentally at
Dracula turning into a giant..Yeti of some kind

I really hope that vinny doesn't start from the beginning every time and try to finish the game in one sitting. I'm hoping that they're using save states but i dont think i saw any obvious attempt to save a state before they quit last night.

Bsigg12

I'm assuming early access on The Elder Scrolls Online is embargoed, right? They would have had coverage of it by now.

Jeff said they would be doing something with it today because the download was so slow yesterday and they still had to record the podcast.

It's funny, 'cause as I never got past the Grim Reaper either, I never knew that the ending of Rondo of Blood/opening of SOtN was taken from the end of CastleVania 1.

Curufinwe

My only real problem with all this advocacy stuff is that there isn't much place in the middle for people who just want an entertainment website. Seems you are either a woman hating gay basher or a weak liberal apologist. I don't really associate with either. Sexist bigots exist and I know one when I see them (basically any comments section has a few) but plenty on the other side go off the handle at the most innocuous comment or twist things to suit themselves (e.g. Alexander calling out any criticism of her behaviour as sexist).

Sometimes I wish they would just write about games and playing games a bit more and a bit less about all the bollocks surrounding it.

I'd go along with that. Some of the things certain games writers claim are sexist defy belief. For example.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/25/bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea-2-review-pc/

Has anyone done a compilation of UPF into a "best of" segment? There's been some gems in the show, but a lot of filler that I don't particularly want to revisit for only one segment. Also, because the staff and website hate properly categorizing or tagging their stuff, it's impossible to find out what segments were in what video.

Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann 5m
At noon we're going to stream out some Elder Scrolls Online. @bradshoemaker seems to be on weird cold meds so this should be solid.

Brad Shoemaker ‏@bradshoemaker 7m
I am not on weird cold meds.

Who to believe?

LiK

At noon we're going to stream out some Elder Scrolls Online. @bradshoemaker seems to be on weird cold meds so this should be solid.

Who to believe?

No one

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know brad, even completely normal cold meds can mess you up.

Curufinwe

Who to believe?

I believe Brad. The medicine he's on must be to help with the Prince Albert procedure Vinny mentioned on UPF, not a cold.

Darklord

Banned

Who to believe?

$10 on first thing out of Brads mouth on that stream being: "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughghgh. *sniiiif*"

I'm going to let you in on a little secret (and I'll preface this by saying that I like patrick and I think giant bomb is better for him) but Patrick REALLY likes to talk, almost to the point where I think the duder likes to hear himself talk. I don't think he's faking it but he might not be cognisant of the fact that he doesn't need to elaborate as much as he does to get his point across. I mean, jeff and the others have similar feelings about MGSGZ and i got their perspectives on it in a much more succinct manner. I guess maybe it's due to his writing background because I feel like I would be less bothered by it in text ::shrugs::

It seems like it's starting to happen with his writing, too (or maybe I just haven't noticed it before). That Oculus article especially didn't need to be as long as it was.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just started listening to Bombin' the A.M. a couple of weeks ago and caught up on most of the back catalog. I like the podcast a lot. One annoyance, though:

Is it difficult to balance audio levels from a podcast recorded over Skype? I often have to keep the volume up a bit since Patrick has a generally calm and even speaking audio level, but Alex is kind of all over the place. Often, he'll start a sentence at a really high volume and it gets annoying, especially when I'm listening with earphones.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to bombin' in the am... it was a total non-discussion when they were talking about metal gear solid. It was like 10 straight minutes of using overwrought language to tactfully step around the sensitive topics. Patrick even went on a wholesale meta-tangent about how he's allowed to disagree with Kojima's creative choices. Which was just.. uninteresting. I don't use this word lightly, but it kinda felt fake. In that I doubt this is how that discussion would have gone without microphones. Not that they should be 100% unrestrained all the time.. they just need balance. I like the general feel in the air regarding empathy and civility in online discussion.. but take the gloves off guys. I have no patience for people pussyfooting around what they want to say, even close friends.

The only thing that annoyed me about that discussion (other than the saying a whole lot of words without much meaning over and over again) was how Patrick seemed to be creating an air of "I'm right and anyone who doesn't take issue with how the content in Ground Zeroes was presented is disgusting." He want as far as to say that that kind of content can have a place in video games, but that Kojima just didn't do it right. Well, what would "doing it right" entail?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, he definitely went into how it could have been handled better..

His whole point, which I agree with was that it's just put into side content that doesn't earn the weight of the subject.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, he definitely went into how it could have been handled better..

His whole point, which I agree with was that it's just put into side content that doesn't earn the weight of the subject.

I must have missed that part. I'm not done with the whole podcast, but they've moved one from Ground Zeroes where I stopped.

I did understand that he took issue with the creative choice to put most of that stuff into the optional audio tapes, but I wasn't sure why that bothered him so.

What does "doesn't earn the weight of the subject" mean in concrete terms? How does one treat it with a "deft touch?"

Mesoian

The only thing that annoyed me about that discussion (other than the saying a whole lot of words without much meaning over and over again) was how Patrick seemed to be creating an air of "I'm right and anyone who doesn't take issue with how the content in Ground Zeroes was presented is disgusting." He want as far as to say that that kind of content can have a place in video games, but that Kojima just didn't do it right. Well, what would "doing it right" entail?

Not reducing it to an optional unlockable and 2 minutes of screen time.

I don't understand why people don't get this. You can have horrible things be a central theme in your story, but if you treat it like a passing topic that doesn't really matter, you end up looking gross.

They put more time and effort into the reason why Otakon's sister is afraid of water than they did explaining Paz, what happened to her with whom, and the total culmination of it. Johnny Sasaki's bowels are more fleshed out and better explained than what happened to Paz. That's a fucking problem considering the gravity of Paz's fate.

Patrick is essentially a Twitch streamer at this point.

And the fact that people complain about that when the same people were demanding daily game content is amazing.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I never beat the original Castlevania but I've probably played the intro to SOTN more than a handful of times. I always thought that the intro was pulling from the ending of Rondo but it seems that either it was pulling from the ending of the OG castlevaina, it was pulling from the ending of rondo which pulls from the ending of the OG castlevania, or all castlevanias end the same way?

Yeah, they're all homages to each other.

Rondo to OG Castlevania, then SotN to Rondo, which is to OG Castlevania.

I really hope that vinny doesn't start from the beginning every time and try to finish the game in one sitting. I'm hoping that they're using save states but i dont think i saw any obvious attempt to save a state before they quit last night.

He said "Castlevania 2 seems pretty cool right guys!" so I think next time they're moving on to Castlevania 2.

beatnik11

Neo Member

*still likin the show, obviously. just my input since it seems like they're still finding their voice.

I think Patrick is great and he has done more than anyone else on the team since he was brought in to create content for the site, but you really nailed one of Patrick's biggest problems. He has this sort of need to be viewed as a sort of academic so he will go off on these long winded pedantic episodes where his overly thought out reasoning just tends to meander without actually going anywhere. It just comes off as some pseudo-intellectual trying way to hard to be what they really are not. Like you said, there is no need to ramble on about how its ok not to like MGS. I personally think MGS is total convoluted horseshit and thats fine because everyone has opinions, its just when people become assholes about opinions that crosses the line. Its really no surprise that he got picked to do a TED X talk and that is not to cheapen his experience or what he had to say, its just that TED X is the B team of wanna be intellectuals who cant make the cut for an actual TED talk and that fits perfectly with Patrick's personality.

Im all for Patrick and like what he does, but sometimes he can go off the deep end and he needs someone to bring him back down to earth sometimes.

popo

Mr. F

Banned
Elder Scrolls Online live is starting, giantbomb.com/chat fucked up as usual. It's working on their Twitch channel, though.

edit; GB chat stream is working.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I did understand that he took issue with the creative choice to put most of that stuff into the optional audio tapes, but I wasn't sure why that bothered him so.

What does "doesn't earn the weight of the subject" mean in concrete terms? How does one treat it with a "deft touch?"

Because its cheap.
Its dumb as hell and cheap. How can you not see that? I don't even need to play the game to tell you that much. Collectible audiologs are already out of vogue, and including subjects like rape and torture for flavor is completely inappropriate these days. We have the technology and ability to fully explore these themes. If you're gonna include them then you better treat it with the seriousness it requires. Dropping it into your weird anime-western to show off just how bad your new supervillain is comes off as immature in today's climate. Its completely tone deaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom