• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdViking

I think it's hilarious that people freaked out about Patrick's Ground Zeroes commentary when that's a fairly common criticism for the game. I agree that he sometimes goes out of his way a little much to defend the criticisms he makes, but when you have the context of those Youtube replies (and I can't even imagine how many gross emails/private messages/etc.), can you blame the guy?

The thing that irked me about Patrick and the MGS thing was him complaining about trolls "derailing" the conversation in the comments. Patrick, you detailed it by making it about the trolls. Those people are irrelevant, delete their comments and just move the fuck on.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not reducing it to an optional unlockable and 2 minutes of screen time.

I don't understand why people don't get this. You can have horrible things be a central theme in your story, but if you treat it like a passing topic that doesn't really matter, you end up looking gross.

They put more time and effort into the reason why Otakon's sister is afraid of water than they did explaining Paz, what happened to her with whom, and the total culmination of it. Johnny Sasaki's bowels are more fleshed out and better explained than what happened to Paz. That's a fucking problem considering the gravity of Paz's fate.

Because its cheap.
Its dumb as hell and cheap. How can you not see that? I don't even need to play the game to tell you that much. Collectible audiologs are already out of vogue, and including subjects like rape and torture for flavor is completely inappropriate these days. We have the technology and ability to fully explore these themes. If you're gonna include them then you better treat it with the seriousness it requires. Dropping it into your weird anime-western to show off just how bad your new supervillain is comes off as immature in today's climate. Its completely tone deaf.

Interesting. I guess I missed the boat on this one.

I suppose I'm tone deaf, because I don't see how having an on-screen rape scene would have been handling the theme more maturely. I imagine it would have resulted in a lot more backlash against the game, though.

FStop7

Banned
I like Patrick, but I do admit that I shut off the video very early when he spent seemingly minutes on end reiterating the same points on infamous that Alex discussed more eloquently with a fraction of the verbage and adjectives necessary. Its a staple of his for sure, happened all the time on the Bombcast.

Not even sure what the deal is regarding MGS since I missed that segment and I haven't played the game yet. Something about being anti-rape?

About the SJW thing. I know the term's been pretty much ruined by jerks, but there should be a term for people who are in overbearing, phony activist mode 24/7 going on about how everything offends them. It becomes tiresome and draining. I'm not saying that's what I think of Patrick, because he's not like that. But, for example, take that Suey Park nutjob who tried to go after Stephen Colbert. Or the psycho person who declared that Brad Shoemaker is the enemy of women. People like that are unbearable assholes and that special kind of shrill, condescending, moral superiority deserves its own term.

Chuck

Still without luck
So the Castlevinia stream had me wondering if they still have their crazy expensive scanner thing they used for like the snes stream. Anyone know?

beatnik11

Neo Member
About the SJW thing. I know the term's been pretty much ruined by jerks, but there should be a term for people who are in overbearing, phony activist mode 24/7 going on about how everything offends them. It becomes tiresome and draining. I'm not saying that's what I think of Patrick, because he's not like that. But, for example, take that Suey Park nutjob who tried to go after Stephen Colbert. Or the psycho person who declared that Brad Shoemaker is the enemy of women. People like that are unbearable assholes and that special kind of shrill, condescending, moral superiority deserves its own term.

Thats the thing, once anyone gets to radical they can become the very thing that the cause may have been initially opposed to. Some of those tumblr and twitter SJWs are just as racist and sexist as any bigot can be. Suey Park literally said on her HuffPost interview that the people talking to her couldnt have an opinion because they are white males which is really taking it to an extreme on top of the fact that she cant comprehend satire..... that was pointing out actual racism. I also dont think it helps when people paint those who are against radical SJWs as Mens Rights Activist types because I think those people are lunatics as well.

Nexas

We already have a term for people like that: assholes.

Odrion

Banned
Wait, who was the psycho that went after Brad?

popo

I was surprised that ESO stream was still going. Tuned in and Jeff seems like he isn't having much fun, how the hell did it go for more than 2 hours?

I was surprised that ESO stream was still going. Tuned in and Jeff seems like he isn't having much fun, how the hell did it go for more than 2 hours?

I thought his character being sucked into the planet and killed then forced to re-log would be the end.

conweller

Neo Member
In fairness, some of those people aren't social justice warriors, they're people who use it as a weapon to raise their own profile.

Ah, so social justice is OP, and should be nerfed in the next news cycle so it can only be used by people who have put points into the Progressive and Honest character traits. I agree completely.

Vidpixel

The art style of The Elder Scrolls games after Morrowind have never really appealed to me, and this still seems to be the case with ESO. From what I've seen, it just seems so uninspired and derivative, which, alongside some tedious quests, isn't helping with making this game look exciting.

Mesoian

Am I in the minority for preferring to play TES games in 3rd person? Unless I'm aiming a bow, of course.

Yup.

Bethesda needs to take a lot of really important queues from Dragon's Dogma when it comes to open world combat. I'm not saying change it to mimic that 1 to 1, but the combat in skyrim, unless you're firing a weapon, is terrible, and whenever the next game comes out, it needs to be miles ahead of where it is now.

Qblivion

Just finished watching both Deadly Premonition endurance runs for the first time. Jeff and Ryan seemed to have wildly different reactions to the end. Did they ever discuss it further in podcasts or anything?

So the Castlevinia stream had me wondering if they still have their crazy expensive scanner thing they used for like the snes stream. Anyone know?

That piece of equipment is called a scan converter, their one was made by a company called Folsom. As to whether or not they have it still, hmm, try asking Vinny!

I believe they do. I think that stuff is basically required to stream neo geo stuff.

Not quite, they've been using the Omega Entertainment Machine which can natively output Composite, S-Video, RGB and Component signals. I believe they have only ever streamed Neo Geo stuff using that machine.

Tan

Wait they've been going for 3 hours?! This is the best April Fools joke ever.

...does it look ... good?

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah so ESO doesn't look too good but it makes me want to re-install Skyrim... Dammit I don't have another 50h to sink into that.

What a record-breaking quick look that was! Accordoing to the chat, it has nearly doubled the previous record of 2:10 from the Euro Truck 2 QL.

Jeff seems to have been looking for some sort of redeeming features within the black abyss that is Elder Scrolls Online. I don't now how effective that was, but I do know that I remain unconvinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom