• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
imagine what Patrick's hair looks like when he goes SSJW

Marge_Simpson.png

Zaph

SJW is one of the dumbest things the internet has come up with. Whenever someone uses that term you already know they are a sexist, some kind of biggot or just plain ignorant.
It's a great timesaver. Like 'M$', once you see it you know to immediately stop reading.

I never beat the original Castlevania but I've probably played the intro to SOTN more than a handful of times. I always thought that the intro was pulling from the ending of Rondo but it seems that either it was pulling from the ending of the OG castlevaina, it was pulling from the ending of rondo which pulls from the ending of the OG castlevania, or all castlevanias end the same way?

I never beat the original Castlevania but I've probably played the intro to SOTN more than a handful of times. I always thought that the intro was pulling from the ending of Rondo but it seems that either it was pulling from the ending of the OG castlevaina, it was pulling from the ending of rondo which pulls from the ending of the OG castlevania, or all castlevanias end the same way?

It's the ending of Rondo. SOTN is a direct sequel to Rondo. And yes, most Castlevania games end with you whipping Dracula.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It's the end of Rondo. Most Castlevanias end with "____ whip fights Dracula to the death"

It was Richter in the start of SOTN, not Simon.

SJW is one of the dumbest things the internet has come up with. Whenever someone uses that term you already know they are a sexist, some kind of biggot or just plain ignorant.

It's a great timesaver. Like 'M$', once you see it you know to immediately stop reading.

I have a nice discussion about the term in another thread where I decided not to used it because I feel it derails discussions. I did not know that some people considered malicius or offensive.

I like the one that wonders why Jeff hasn't fired Patrick yet

JEFF SAYS FUNNY THINGS THAT MAKE ME LAUGH SO OBVIOUSLY HE AGREES WITH ME ON EVERYTHING AND IS ALSO A SOCIAL CAVEMAN

It's the ending of Rondo. SOTN is a direct sequel to Rondo. And yes, most Castlevania games end with you whipping Dracula.

It's the end of Rondo. Most Castlevanias end with "____ whip fights Dracula to the death"

It was Richter in the start of SOTN, not Simon.

I guess the confusion comes from the fight being extremely similar to the OG castlevania. Dracula opens his cloak, 3 fireballs come out, when you beat him the first time he becomes this big monstrous creature. Even the part where you up a flight of stairs, outdoors, right before the fight seems to be recreated in the end of Rondo/beginning of SOTN. I guess they're homages to the OG game, then.

JEFF SAYS FUNNY THINGS THAT MAKE ME LAUGH SO OBVIOUSLY HE AGREES WITH ME ON EVERYTHING AND IS ALSO A SOCIAL CAVEMAN
Actually, after Patrick made him do that Yoshi's Island QL, he's probably lucky Jeff didn't fire him!
I jest, I jest.

Zaph

That's why is not exactly a good criteria to dismiss people.
Maybe it has, but I don't think I've ever seen it used (unironically and without quotes) as a positive. I do, however, often see it used by people who try to belittle and dismiss the hard work of others daring to make the things we love more inclusive.

Maybe it has, but I don't think I've ever seen it used (unironically and without quotes) as a positive. I do, however, often see it used by people who try to belittle and dismiss the hard work of others daring to make the things we love more inclusive.

Fair. Just remember that casual dismissing is also a form of exclusion.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The secret about subscribing to Giant Bomb is that Unprofessional Fridays is where the best Quick Looks went. All of the over the top stupidity happens there. I'll just say this: If Unprofessional Fridays were around a few years ago, Story Hour Adventures would have been on UPF.
That sucks.

popo

My only real problem with all this advocacy stuff is that there isn't much place in the middle for people who just want an entertainment website. Seems you are either a woman hating gay basher or a weak liberal apologist. I don't really associate with either. Sexist bigots exist and I know one when I see them (basically any comments section has a few) but plenty on the other side go off the handle at the most innocuous comment or twist things to suit themselves (e.g. Alexander calling out any criticism of her behaviour as sexist).

Sometimes I wish they would just write about games and playing games a bit more and a bit less about all the bollocks surrounding it.

Xater

My only real problem with all this advocacy stuff is that there isn't much place in the middle for people who just want an entertainment website. Seems you are either a woman hating gay basher or a weak liberal apologist. I don't really associate with either. Sexist bigots exist and I know one when I see them (basically any comments section has a few) but plenty on the other side go off the handle at the most innocuous comment or twist things to suit themselves (e.g. Alexander calling out any criticism of her behaviour as sexist).

Sometimes I wish they would just write about games and playing games a bit more and a bit less about all the bollocks surrounding it.

It is also part of these games you are playing. Film went through the same shit and is technically still going through it. These discussions are not going to just magically disappear. If you have no interest in these discussions then just don't read the articles etc. but don't tell anyone how to run their site.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to bombin' in the am... it was a total non-discussion when they were talking about metal gear solid. It was like 10 straight minutes of using overwrought language to tactfully step around the sensitive topics. Patrick even went on a wholesale meta-tangent about how he's allowed to disagree with Kojima's creative choices. Which was just.. uninteresting. I don't use this word lightly, but it kinda felt fake. In that I doubt this is how that discussion would have gone without microphones. Not that they should be 100% unrestrained all the time.. they just need balance. I like the general feel in the air regarding empathy and civility in online discussion.. but take the gloves off guys. I have no patience for people pussyfooting around what they want to say, even close friends.

*still likin the show, obviously. just my input since it seems like they're still finding their voice.

Xater

Listening to bombin' in the am... it was a total non-discussion when they were talking about metal gear solid. It was like 10 straight minutes of using overwrought language to tactfully step around the sensitive topics. Patrick even went on a wholesale meta-tangent about how he's allowed to disagree with Kojima's creative choices. Which was just.. uninteresting. I don't use this word lightly, but it kinda felt fake. In that I doubt this is how that discussion would have gone without microphones. Not that they should be 100% unrestrained all the time.. they just need balance. I like the general feel in the air regarding empathy and civility in online discussion.. but take the gloves off guys. I have no patience for people pussyfooting around what they want to say, even close friends.

With regards to Bombin', yeah it really wasn't a particularly interesting or insightful discussion. Whatever, not everything can be gold.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret (and I'll preface this by saying that I like patrick and I think giant bomb is better for him) but Patrick REALLY likes to talk, almost to the point where I think the duder likes to hear himself talk. I don't think he's faking it but he might not be cognisant of the fact that he doesn't need to elaborate as much as he does to get his point across. I mean, jeff and the others have similar feelings about MGSGZ and i got their perspectives on it in a much more succinct manner. I guess maybe it's due to his writing background because I feel like I would be less bothered by it in text ::shrugs::

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I kinda talk like that too. It probably is part of expressing yourself through text a majority of the time.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, that's why I stopped watching/listening to Bombin' the AM. Patrick tends to take a long time to get simple points across and sometimes drowns out Alex in the process. They don't have the best chemistry in that regard if you ask me. I think that's also why the episodes with guests have been better, they balance that out.

LiK

Whatever their opinions, I still enjoy Bombin'. Can't agree with everything but Tricky and Alex never offends me to the point of not listening.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I like Patrick. I usually never have a problem with it. Some part of my frustration is also the fact that I don't have access to ground zeroes because it's not on PC really wanted to hear about it. I like it when he goes in depth on stuff, but only when it's something I want to hear about.

Mesoian

I'm going to let you in on a little secret (and I'll preface this by saying that I like patrick and I think giant bomb is better for him) but Patrick REALLY likes to talk, almost to the point where I think the duder likes to hear himself talk. I don't think he's faking it but he might not be cognisant of the fact that he doesn't need to elaborate as much as he does to get his point across. I mean, jeff and the others have similar feelings about MGSGZ and i got their perspectives on it in a much more succinct manner. I guess maybe it's due to his writing background because I feel like I would be less bothered by it in text ::shrugs::

Telling stories is hard, and a lot of the time, it feels like you have to explain certain parts to get your point across.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think the problem is that with two people it's somewhat hard to keep the conversation balanced.

Also he tends to love to overexplain things, which is why I sometimes get annoyed by his binding and spelunky videos. You don't have to explain the same concepts every single video.

popo

It is also part of these games you are playing. Film went through the same shit and is technically still going through it. These discussions are not going to just magically disappear. If you have no interest in these discussions then just don't read the articles etc. but don't tell anyone how to run their site.

I am not sure how me using the phrase "Sometimes I wish ..." is telling anyone how to do anything.

I wasn't directly referencing Patrick or GB at all. Just that this seems to be the prevalent discussion in games at the moment and I am a bit bored of it. You are right in that is happening in other mediums as well as games and it is being discussed on any number of politics and civil rights forums. I just feel it is the "in" cause at the moment. It is what "violence in games" or "are games art?" were in the past. If they are not careful the advocates risk driving away moderates like me who are generally sympathetic to their ideals.

Patrick offered to leave when he moved, so Jeff clearly values his work. It would have been a guilt free way of getting rid if Jeff had secret reservations about him.

popo

Can anyone tell me what time the podcast usually goes up?(including time zone please)

any time during Tuesday - west coast US time. Sorry to be vague but it really does vary. Wioth Ryan it was more likely to be later and Jeff is lighter with the edits so has gone up much earlier - but it all depends on what other work he has going on.

If they shoot the ESO live QL today I would bet on it being a later one.

any time during Tuesday - west coast US time. Sorry to be vague but it really does vary. Wioth Ryan it was more likely to be later and Jeff is lighter with the edits so has gone up much earlier - but it all depends on what other work he has going on.

If they shoot the ESO live QL today I would bet on it being a later one.

Oh okay. Thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom