• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #9 | More Dan Meets The Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan's Yakuza hate reminded me that we are never getting Yakuza 5. I had almost managed to forget ;-;

Time to learn Japanese!

Still really bummed they seem to think Yakuza is on the same level as Akiba's Trip :/ Or think the combat is similar at all/

Probably not, if they filmed something on location like we think they might have (or at the very least something Vinny thought was insane) it's probably not going to be a QL but some sort of special video feature.

Barkerville visit #believe

Though i imagine they want to wait for John Drake for that particular field trip.

Dan's Yakuza hate reminded me that we are never getting Yakuza 5. I had almost managed to forget ;-;

Time to learn Japanese!

So I know a little japanese- certainly enough to get me through a large percentage of import games- and I'll go ahead and say that Y5 basically requires fluency to get through with any level of understanding. there's a good guide that tells you where to go and how to do the missions, but the story isn't covered. knowing katakana/hiragana will help a little when it comes to the map and item screens. a little.

it's also got probably the most kanji i've ever seen in one game. it's a very good game, but prepare for an uphill battle.

Maybe in the 2-3 years it'll take me to learn the language It'll get localized :D

And yeah, just going through a guide like that that doesn't even cover the story just seems unappealing to me. Don't like to play games looking from tv to computer constantly.

bender

What time is it?
Maybe in the 2-3 years it'll take me to learn the language It'll get localized :D

And yeah, just going through a guide like that that doesn't even cover the story just seems unappealing to me. Don't like to play games looking from tv to computer constantly.

Well, if you don't mind missing out on the story, it's a pretty easy game to get through minus a few stumbling blocks that you'll probably need a guide for. That's what I did anyway and helped get my Yakuza fix.

This made me chuckle.

WC3uaMz.png

Mesoian

Time to learn Japanese!

Still really bummed they seem to think Yakuza is on the same level as Akiba's Trip :/ Or think the combat is similar at all/

I mean...while Yakuza is certainly a better game than Akiba's Trip, the story for both games will occasionally overlap when it comes to certain levels of dumb. Yakuza 4 has some REAL DUMB STUFF in it as far as the main plot is concerned. Like...geeze.

I mean...while Yakuza is certainly a better game than Akiba's Trip, the story for both games will occasionally overlap when it comes to certain levels of dumb. Yakuza 4 has some REAL DUMB STUFF in it as far as the main plot is concerned. Like...geeze.

Yakuza is absolutely a very silly game, but it's not sleazy and does a much better job of being intentionally fun but not annoyingly self-aware like that sister character.

And at the end of the day they're great brawlers and fun open world games with tons of content and a great sense of place. Akiba looks like shit, seems to play like shit, and so on.

Dragon

Banned

It's all dumb.

Professional wresting and Metal Gear games are the epitome of dumb. Just Dan dumb vs. dumb dumb :).

The Meryl/Johnny shit in MGS4 is the most cringe-worthy thing I saw in a while and I look forward to Jeff giving Dan more shit about MG :).

Kimaka

It's not GB content, but what about Danny's pigeon dating sim series? I can't find the full streams on YT or GS, just highlights and the like.

First two are from the main game, chasing after Shuu. Then it's the Holiday Star expansion with an episode per video (except for the two part finale!)

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/389474319

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/389883836

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/441652222

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/442641797

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/488155607

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/501255498

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/504971485

Great fucking job btw.

Kinda late but I've been saving some of his Random Encounter videos because Gamespot has only the highlights of the early one. I have Hatoful Boyfriend uploaded to Youtube now and I'm in the process of uploading and downloading the most I can.

Brashnir

Hi!!!!!!! It is me, Cara Ellison, the Laura Dern and Hentai Hobo of video games. Please teach me about Neogaf. People tell me this is where the secrets happen.

Hi. I don't like you and think you have terrible opinions.

Your Authentic Neogaf Experience(TM) is now complete.

Zomba13

Probably not, if they filmed something on location like we think they might have (or at the very least something Vinny thought was insane) it's probably not going to be a QL but some sort of special video feature.

New video thing where they re-enact PT.

Dan is the ghost and Jason debuts as "Sink Fetus".

Jeez, I had to turn my lamp only to even keep watching Patrick play PT. I was just like him while playing it but more on the path of tears. It's just so completely uncomfortable to play.

Flambe

I think they found out the Barkerville that got them all excited is actually in Canada, so maybe not.

I live an hour and a half from Barkerville in B.C., would be awesome if they came up.

Got offered a job there as a teenager to become a goldpanning instructor (lol) when they saw me do it. Unfortunately at the time I lived 8 hours to the south, what could have been!

It's weird to see Fatal Frame 2 in its original form. Played it on the Xbox back when that version came out but having played the wii version twice through I really prefer the look and new graphical polish.

Still can't believe Fatal Frame 2 Wii edition didn't come to the states when it was translated by Nintendo themselves(although the euro branch) As it ever been said why? Just a shame that so many people missed out on the two best horror games of last gen. Hell, Patrick didn't even seem to know the Wii version exists.

Edit: Where did Patrick hear Fatal Frame 4 wasn't very good? It's one of the best in series(although they're all pretty good) and was generally well received by Fatal Frame fans.

Man, Patrick's run through of P.T. was intense. I always enjoy watching his genuine enthusiasm for what's going on and loved seeing his sanity spiral downward as he played this. The "I don't want this video game anymore" comment killed me lol

Myggen

Anyone watch Gamespot stuff? Kind of interested in checking them out but I have no idea where to start.

The Lobby is usually okay, but depends on the guests. I'm not a huge fan of Chris Watters as a host, so I mostly stick to the episodes hosted by Danny.

Random Encounter is GS' version of Quick Looks. It's a bit hit and miss, again it depends on who's in the videos (as much as I like Danny, there's a reason why GB found out early that you need two or more people for your QLs). Now Playing is a similar feature, but as with the others, the quality varies widely.

The Point, Danny's weekly show about random topics, is good too.

Other than that I haven't really found much of interest on GS.

Kinda late but I've been saving some of his Random Encounter videos because Gamespot has only the highlights of the early one. I have Hatoful Boyfriend uploaded to Youtube now and I'm in the process of uploading and downloading the most I can.

Good man.

Carachan

Neo Member
Hi. I don't like you and think you have terrible opinions.

Your Authentic Neogaf Experience(TM) is now complete.

Let me guess, is it a Hotline Miami 2 thing you didn't read but have made up your mind that I am the Social Justice Warrior who is removing video games from small children and then eating the small children.

Usually reading my work makes people like me.

popo

Has Gamespot done anything from gamescom? I heard they had write ups (Jeff making a too-soon joke about them) but any live streams? They sent enough staff.

Brashnir

Let me guess, is it a Hotline Miami 2 thing you didn't read but have made up your mind that I am the Social Justice Warrior who is removing video games from small children and then eating the small children.

Dig through my post history enough and you'll find a lot of things I don't really believe.

rmanthorp

I think when I met you I spoke about Hotline Miami 2 and I tried SO hard not to...

Anyway - welcome *five-high*

#hirecara

Volotaire

Has Gamespot done anything from gamescom? I heard they had write ups (Jeff making a too-soon joke about them) but any live streams? They sent enough staff.

I'm not sure abut livestreams, and I don't think they will be, since they were already cutting down they on livestreams and content when the redundancies happened. IGN are definitely doing a schedule.

Myggen

Man, the Bad Company 2 TNT is so great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khoBmN1ToCw

I don't see much of a schedule, and they haven't done a livestream yet AFAIK. Then again the GS front page is fucking terrible and doesn't surface any of the live stuff in a good way, so who knows.

I think they were just illustrating what kind of madness this place can sometimes devolve into, not necessarily throwing shade your way ;)

Welcome to GAF Ms. Ellison! I think you've got a lot to offer us here.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Apropos of nothing, I would really like a new breaking brad for dark souls or any other game in which he is likely to die a lot. The demons' souls playthrough was the best content of the year for me so far. I get that some people are probably sick of dark souls content, so any game that fits would be fine with me.

I don't really have much desire to watch anyone play a pixel perfect platformer for hours that isn't an expert. Watching people play games like I Want to Be the Guy or Super Meat Boy for the first time is frustrating rather than fun. Seeing Brad go through Demon Souls on the other hand and get into the world was a lot of fun. Even in the Doom II breaking bad there was less repetition than there would be like with a platformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom