• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

A lot about art is about restraint really.

We make fun of it but really, it's about the notes you don't play.

Let me put it this way, it's like they're throwing all the jokes they're coming up with and seeing what sticks or not.

Agreed but saying something is trying too hard is so dismissive and insulting, at least when talking about art imo.

But let's not steer off course. That QL is really fun.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though seriously, I also can't think of any 13 year old, past or present, that will actually think this is cool.

Except david jaffe.

Trying too hard is phrase I'll never understand. People just use it about things they dislike, mostly humor related.

Try hard has almost become an official style, of sorts.

Drawn to death is aggressively juvenile and in your face. that's the try hard aesthetic to me.

Maybe over the top as well but this is trying to be over the top and just seems lame. Maybe that's try hard I dunno anymore I'm working this out as I work through it

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like I was an idiot metal kid at who loved metalocalypse (still do) and this looks even more try hard than metalocalypse.

But that's because metalocalypse had something more than just juvenile brutality. Which I like, but not for the whole thing.

daveo42

Banned
Drawn to Death continues to look and sound like the sort of game that David Jaffe would have loved when he was 13. Or 45.

Maybe it's what Jaffe thinks kids nowadays like...or should like. Sad that it looks like there could be a decent game in there somewhere with an interesting art style, but it's all covered in a thick layer of actual shit that I'd be surprised anyone would find good.

Mr. F

Banned
Like I was an idiot metal kid at who loved metalocalypse (still do) and this looks even more try hard than metalocalypse.

But that's because metalocalypse had something more than just juvenile brutality. Which I like, but not for the whole thing.

Yeah, metalocalypse was self aware enough to make it work, on top of actually being funny. Drawn to Death seems more like something I would stumble across on Newgrounds when I was 10

Hey now I'm big into metal and all but I haven't met anyone even at a young age a "punk/metal" whatever kid who behaved or thought like this. This just seems kind of sad to me and it's disappointing because I love David Jaffe's games in general and as a guy who is pretty transparent with his fans.

Curufinwe

Bill Simmons did a podcast with the producer of all the Fast movies, and they originally wanted Timothy Olyphant to be Dom.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/12/the-fast-the-furious-vin-diesel-dom-timothy-olyphant/

“I had been working with Paul Walker on another movie, Skulls, and I gave him the script [for The Fast and the Furious],” Moritz said. “Rob Cohen, who I had made The Rat Pack with, we gave him the script. The two of them liked the idea. And then we had to look for Dom Toretto. The studio said, ‘If you can get Timothy Olyphant to play that role we will greenlight the movie… The luckiest thing that ever happened to us is Tim Olyphant turned us down. He’s a great actor. In fact, I’m curious to see what that movie would have been.”

After Olyphant passed, Moritz suggested Diesel, who had produced standout supporting work in Saving Private Ryan and Boiler Room and played the lead role in sleeper hit Pitch Black.

“I went and met him at Kate Mantilini [restaurant] and he wasn’t a star yet, but the great thing about Vin is he always believed he was a star,” Moritz said. “And I was going in there to think he’s coming to me to want the role and I’m the one there now having to convince him to do the role! Lucky for both of us that happened. And then we started to make the movie.”

He also talked at length about how they didn't know if they would actually finish F7 after Paul Walker died, and that about half his scenes in the movie had his face digitally added by Weta. But that they never had two scenes like that in a row so it wasn't obvious.

Strax

Bill Simmons did a podcast with the producer of all the Fast movies, and they originally wanted Timothy Olyphant to be Dom.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/12/the-fast-the-furious-vin-diesel-dom-timothy-olyphant/

He also talked at length about how they didn't know if they would actually finish F7 after Paul Walker died, and that about half his scenes in the movie had his face digitally added by Weta. But that they never had two scenes like that in a row so it wasn't obvious.

Timothy Olyphant is so underrated. If I was casting a small budget drama he'd be at the top of my list, along with most of the Justified cast.

After seeing Hateful Eight I feel the need to watch Justified almost for Walton Goggins alone.

Walton Goggins as Boyd Crowder in Justified might be my all time fav. TV character.

Here's the ultimate self-aware thing that Jaffe could do: make an Internet Dan announcer pack. Fuckin' own it.

(Obviously Jeff would probably be like "FUCK no", and probably for good reasons)

daveo42

Banned
Internet Dan is 2017's best new character.

I'm sure we'll see more of him in the future.

I found God of War to be a repetitive mash fest with the occasional interesting boss fight. The first one bored me to tears and I couldn't make it much farther than a few hours into the second one. None of the games in the series have done anything for me. The new one at least looks like something I might enjoy more than anything else in the series.

Mupod

Finally got caught up on their Yakuza playthrough. Glad Dan is coming around on Beast style because it's awesome. He even found my favorite heat action (the one where you use it during a grapple while surrounded), although I wonder if he'll remember it next time. Also I wish he knew you could grab people on the ground in that style and drag them around/toss them by the leg.

Next chapter will be fun. Someone send Alex a cheat sheet for the Cabaret hand gestures, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom