• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
So I'm watching the NBA Playgrounds QL and unsurprisingly some of the team have complaints after not putting a lot of time into it "I don't understand this...I don't know how you do that..." etc.

It's becoming harder to trust their opinions with these quick looks because they don't put much time into the games and just basically give their early impressions.

When something isn't super clear, it gets criticized ... but I want to get the game and have some arcade fun with it - is it that bad? Are they bad?

I appreciate the online multiplayer stuff doesn't seem solid at all but gameplay wise I'm curious.

So I'm watching the NBA Playgrounds QL and unsurprisingly some of the team have complaints after not putting a lot of time into it "I don't understand this...I don't know how you do that..." etc.

It's becoming harder to trust their opinions with these quick looks because they don't put much time into the games and just basically give their early impressions.

When something isn't super clear, it gets criticized ... but I want to get the game and have some arcade fun with it - is it that bad? Are they bad?

I appreciate the online multiplayer stuff doesn't seem solid at all but gameplay wise I'm curious.

The bolded is usually what they're going for. Doesn't make them infallible, sometimes they miss when games explain something to them, but generally they are showing their initial experiences with a game in a form that will be similar to the average customer when they boot it up.

For bigger games they'll take more of a 'here's a rundown of systems I've experienced after five hours".

Skyzard

Banned
The bolded is usually what they're going for. Doesn't make them infallible, sometimes they miss when games explain something to them, but generally they are showing their initial experiences with a game in a form that will be similar to the average customer when they boot it up.

For bigger games they'll take more of a 'here's a rundown of systems I've experienced after five hours".

Yeah, and that's good info too (especially for people not looking to put in a lot of time with the games) ... but I don't even know if they've bothered to do the tutorials to get the timing of the shots down, or if there even are tutorials for that stuff.

I get the impressions that they just jump in and expect to do well :/

I think we've all just kind of accepted that they're gonna play like shit in the majority of quick looks tbh. It's why I watch 5 minutes of most of them unless it's a really funny one.

Hasney

The game is horrible at explaining why your shots are early and late because the tining is different depending on what animation you get. It's not even always at the top of the jump and the tutorial just says basically that, that you want to release it at the right time. Hell, if I get a cartwheel dunk, it's going to be 50/50 if it goes in as I still don't know the release point.

It's pretty average overall. I do prefer the Jam reboot and I'm not that fond of that either.

Skyzard

Banned
The game is horrible at explaining why your shots are early and late because the tining is different depending on what animation you get. It's not even always at the top of the jump and the tutorial just says basically that, that you want to release it at the right time. Hell, if I get a cartwheel dunk, it's going to be 50/50 if it goes in as I still don't know the release point.

It's pretty average overall. I do prefer the Jam reboot and I'm not that fond of that either.

Yeah it seems a few people are having similar complaints in the OT too, so at least they're being fair.

I just wanted a good arcade basketball title and was hoping it was GB's fault :( The artstyle looks so fun...

Maybe they should have a golf style timing thing to tell you when to release instead of just saying late after you miss.

Yeah it seems a few people are having similar complaints in the OT too, so at least they're being fair.

I just wanted a good arcade basketball title and was hoping it was GB's fault :( The artstyle looks so fun...

Maybe they should have a golf style timing thing to tell you when to release instead of just saying late after you miss.

The art style looks like shitty Celebrity Deathmatch.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I only come to Giantbomb for their expertise in all sports games.

5 seconds in and this is the worst looking game I have ever seen

edit: Vinny sounds sick in that NBA video. That's not just me, right?

Vinny has been sick since Wednesday if my timeline is correct.

Sick on his birthday
Sick on the Beastcast
Sick Friday during the playdate?

I'm sure that ranch dressing soda didn't help.

They probably recorded the NBA Playgrounds QL around that time.

WgvPkh3.gif

So far in Persona 5 vs Persona 4, Ryuji > Yosuke and Morgana > Teddy. No one on Nanako's level yet, but Punk Rock Doctor is cool with selling club drugs to school kids. That's something.

I'm pretty close to finishing Persona 5 and I have enjoyed it very much. I can't say where I'd rank it compared to 3 or 4 but it's certainly a fantastic JRPG.
I remember Brad mentioning on the bombcast that he'd talked to some people who considered it a disappointment and I'd be curious to hear exactly why.

Persona, Yakuza, and Horizon have all made strong impressions for my personal GOTY.
Next up will be Nier, I'm pretty excited #besttimetoplaygames

When does Giant Bomb favorite Horizon get good? I just got to Meridian, and the game has been dull as dirt so far.

The best parts of that game are the missions that offer revelations about the nature of the world, which start a handful of hours after Meridian, in the back third of the game. It's enthralling. I couldn't wait to get to the next mission when I hit that point.

The missions involving the current tribes and political aspects of the world didn't do much for me.

You reminded me of Fifa Street 2(it has an incredible soundtrack) which is probably the only football thing I've enjoyed so much besides RedCard & Sega Soccer Slam.
When does Giant Bomb favorite Horizon get good? I just got to Meridian, and the game has been dull as dirt so far.

If you're forcing yourself to play a game then take my advice and stop. Personally for me, I was hooked from the moment that
training montage
hit.

daveo42

Banned
Finally started playing Steins;Gate 0 and boy howdy do the waterworks start up awful early. I could have used more of the primer at the start tho as a recap before sliding into this new VN. Like, I remember most of the big moments and when they happen, but some are still hazy.

Also messed around with Twisted Metal Black a bit, which is still just as hard and just as good as it was at launch. And Red Faction, which feels super dated as a console fps. It also helps to highlight now much I used ads in modern console shooters. I can't aim from the hip for shit in that game.

The best parts of that game are the missions that offer revelations about the nature of the world, which start a handful of hours after Meridian, in the back third of the game. It's enthralling. I couldn't wait to get to the next mission when I hit that point.

The missions involving the current tribes and political aspects of the world didn't do much for me.

I don't really care about the story parts of the missions. The world design isn't particularly interesting (it's just big), and you kind of just do the same thing over and over again. Very Ubisoft. At least the robots look cool.

Finally started playing Steins;Gate 0 and boy howdy do the waterworks start up awful early. I could have used more of the primer at the start tho as a recap before sliding into this new VN. Like, I remember most of the big moments and when they happen, but some are still hazy.

I'm thinking of playing it in the summer. I adore that universe. As long as Believe Me is in the game, then I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom