• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
fLipo5X.png

Amazing

Dan winning the Taco Bell wedding fills my heart with joy. 2017 is killing it with the great games, awesome content and podcasts and now this.

If Dan and Bianca can find love in a Taco Bell

Maybe I can too in some other medium.

Hjod

Banned
Time for part 4 of the I'm a cop, I'm not a cop saga.

I don't have a 40 here with me, just some Amarone wine, that'll do.

Xater

For Ryckert, this affinity for fast food is something he came about honestly. “When I grew up, [my father] would always talk about how people that went to fancy restaurants and drank wine or whatever were just putting on airs and trying to appear sophisticated. My grandpa was the same way,” he says. “As a result, I ate fast food constantly. Even once I got older and learned that there actually is some value in nice restaurants, I always preferred the taste and value of fast food. I could put on a collared shirt and eat a nice steak for $80, or I could walk into Taco Bell in a t-shirt and jeans, spend $9, and eat food that I like a whole lot more.”

I can't deal with this...

Tagyhag

I would go to Taco Bell in Dan's honor but ours takes 45 minutes to serve 3 cars.

Actually that's about every Taco Bell in my experience.

Is that just the drive-thru? Never been through the window but my orders take like 3-5 minutes and that's usually for 2+ people so we're talking more than 5 items. It's pretty fast.

Is that just the drive-thru? Never been through the window but my orders take like 3-5 minutes and that's usually for 2+ people so we're talking more than 5 items. It's pretty fast.

I'm talking drive-through as I can't be arsed to go inside, which results in me not eating Taco Bell ever which is for the best.

Zocano

For Ryckert, this affinity for fast food is something he came about honestly. “When I grew up, [my father] would always talk about how people that went to fancy restaurants and drank wine or whatever were just putting on airs and trying to appear sophisticated. My grandpa was the same way,” he says. “As a result, I ate fast food constantly. Even once I got older and learned that there actually is some value in nice restaurants, I always preferred the taste and value of fast food. I could put on a collared shirt and eat a nice steak for $80, or I could walk into Taco Bell in a t-shirt and jeans, spend $9, and eat food that I like a whole lot more.”

I've never really had a problem with people having this outlook. I share it partially myself. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it either.

Yeah and then you wake up in your 30s and your doctor tells you "you're developing diabetes from eating so much Taco Bell".

I'm sure I'm not the first to point out the hilarious irony in Dan complaining on the beastcast about people using their twitter platform to get the attention of brands, while using his twitter platform to sweep a contest.

The Drawn to Death QL had me in stitches tho, goddamn that game looks terrible

I'm sure I'm not the first to point out the hilarious irony in Dan complaining on the beastcast about people using their twitter platform to get the attention of brands, while using his twitter platform to sweep a contest.

Part of me thinks the reason the results got delayed for so long was because TocoBell genuinely had to debate if they should give it to the random internet famous asshole or give it to a normal person.

Part of me thinks the reason the results got delayed for so long was because TocoBell genuinely had to debate if they should give it to the random internet famous asshole or give it to a normal person.

Why would they have to debate that though? If you assume the corporation had ethical concerns, I suppose, but that seems a bit naive to me. They don't run a contest like this out of the goodness of their hearts, they do it because it's good PR. And it's even BETTER PR if some guy who's already talking about Taco Bell on the internet all the time wins it.

Lunar FC

I think they made that choice when he wasn't considered as a finalist initially, then backtracked when Dan bullied his way back into it. 😅

About to do my first palace. 😬

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I mean, again, Dan has been using said platform to promote Taco Bell for like years. He legitimately is a Taco Bell enthusiast. Its not like he used his following to win a wedding at a Pizza Hut

I think they made that choice when he wasn't considered as a finalist initially, then backtracked when Dan bullied his way back into it.

even if that's the case they'd be crazy not to do it from a publicity standpoint. silly internet doofus with a following of many thousands and a platform to praise the brand, or Becky and Tim from Duluth or whatever.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man

The Drawn to Death QL had me in stitches tho, goddamn that game looks terrible

To be fair, I was complaining about people doing that in an effort to get customer service with the idea being "I'm *famous*, so if I call out Delta/Hertz/Comcast/whatever on Twitter, they'll give me what I want!"

Didn't say a damn thing about winning contests :)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I was complaining about people doing that in an effort to get customer service with the idea being "I'm *famous*, so if I call out Delta/Hertz/Comcast/whatever on Twitter, they'll give me what I want!"

Yeah it's the same thing, my dude. Leveraging social media to get what you want either way. I have seen lots of NOT AT ALL famous (< 20 followers) people tweet at #brands to get their PR folks to try and fix shitty situations.

I'm glad you won your contest though since it seems like a perfect fit for you. Congrats on the wedding =)

Tubobutts

What if Taco Bell was so afraid of you doing that they were forced into making you the winner?

Follow the money.

I'm not sure I see a material difference, aren't both cases about people leveraging their followers to get something they want? You totally won this thing because you're internet famous. Good for you and Bianca though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Now you have to invite all of GBGaf

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
I'm not sure I see a material difference, aren't both cases about people leveraging their followers to get something they want? You totally won this thing because you're internet famous. Good for you and Bianca though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

I don't know what their decision-making process was, but yeah, I have to imagine that the "this will get more people's eyes on our promotion" angle came up at some point. It's good for them, it's good for me, I get it. At the end of the day, I think our video was funny and we're both super thrilled that this is really happening.

One of the finalists had twice as many Instagram followers as Dan has on Twitter, so I wouldn't say that's entirely fair to Dan.

Also, I miss your Don Draper avatar.

Gandie

My dudes, all this hate and war in the world is seriously frightening me and bumming me out. I'm so glad I have the website and even this thread to switch off for a few hours every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom