• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

I mean as much as I hate to defend Skyrim, Saints Row 3 is not only incredibly 'okay' but its also a big downgrade from Saints Row 2

its like Mordor levels of not qualified for GOTY

Not going to defend SRTT's actual faults. It has those.

It is also tonally, interactively, and textually fucking perfectly timed for when it released. The enemy gangs were S&M weirdos, Tron-esque nerd hackers, and luchador wrestlers. Hulk Hogan was in the game playing a non-Hulk character. Kanye's music was in the game. A man who only spoke in autotune was in there. The climax of the game was set to Holdin' Out for a Hero. You became invincible two-thirds of the way through it because fuck it. There is a button you hold down to make all actions a combo of stupid/wrestling moves.

It was the most Giant Bomb in 2011 game. By far.

Well the 2011 GOTYcasts were fun.

You just don't get them like that anymore. Everyone is too fucking buddy buddy.

I seem to remember Brad and Patrick clashing in 2011 because Brad was defending a game he hadn't actually played and Patrick calling him out.

Then again, that may have happened in multiple years. ;)

Love me some Brad, love me some Patrick!

I mean as much as I hate to defend Skyrim, Saints Row 3 is not only incredibly 'okay' but its also a big downgrade from Saints Row 2

its like Mordor levels of not qualified for GOTY

Saints Row 3 is like 10x the game any previous SR game was. It's when the series graduated from being a bland GTA clone.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I seem to remember Brad and Patrick clashing in 2011 because Brad was defending a game he hadn't actually played and Patrick calling him out.

Then again, that may have happened in multiple years. ;)

Love me some Brad, love me some Patrick!

That's where the "When you get down to it, how different is Rayman Origins to Bubsy?" comes from.

Jintor

It is also tonally, interactively, and textually fucking perfectly timed for when it released. The enemy gangs were S&M weirdos, Tron-esque nerd hackers, and luchador wrestlers. Hulk Hogan was in the game playing a non-Hulk character. Kanye's music was in the game. A man who only spoke in autotune was in there. The climax of the game was set to Holdin' Out for a Hero. You became invincible two-thirds of the way through it because fuck it. There is a button you hold down to make all actions a combo of stupid/wrestling moves.

honestly, it might be the most giant bomb game ever made.

saints 4 was so eh by comparison

Joeku

That's where the "When you get down to it, how different is Rayman Origins to Bubsy?" comes from.

Brad's a real fucker sometimes.

honestly, it might be the most giant bomb game ever made.

saints 4 was so eh by comparison

Yeah, I really appreciate how Matrixy (but not the parts of The Matrix you're used to being appropriated) it is, but it's really just SR3 plus some pseudo-crackdown stuff. It doesn't stick the landing at all.

What do you expect when half the crew are millennials. They all need their participation awards/token top 10 game. See Invisible Inc.

Shit youre right

Gotta have someone taken down this goty

It has to be alex and that inane "night in the woods" it needs to be completely forbidden from the top 10
None of this "I really feel" mambo jumbo.

Joeku

If you want to go that route, SR4 brings everyone back but aside from that one Shaundis mission it wasn't for the best.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If you want to go that route, SR4 brings everyone back but aside from that one Shaundis mission it wasn't for the best.

That's not a good way to praise 3 or 4 considering those games were panned by fans of the original 2 for bringing those characters back and completely forgetting what their personality was

Joeku

That's not a good way to praise 3 or 4 considering those games were panned by fans of the original 2 for bringing those characters back and completely forgetting what their personality was

Not praising 4; just saying 3 was spared a lot of that by its own stunt casting with Hulk Hogan and Burt Reynolds (and maybe anyone else I forgot).

It literally has a 1/10th of the content

The characters were ruined 10x though I'll give you that

1/10th the content compared to what? SR2?

They're both filled with repetition. It's just that SR3 has style.

Wow, when you put it that way... it really is.

And man, that Holding Out for a Hero moment, that was when I realised I loved SR3. It was so perfect.

I bought that Bonnie Tyler CD because of SR3.

Joeku

Even beyond Saints Row, that song is fantastic. It fuckin' drives. It even made the end of Shrek 2 actually great (when I was 16; I hope it holds up).

also it was really nice jumping on top of cars and instantly getting into them in 2

the Third kind of does that with the windshield smash but you still have to wait for the animation to play out

Joeku

also it was really nice jumping on top of cars and instantly getting into them in 2

the Third kind of does that with the windshield smash but you still have to wait for the animation to play out

But the character just dropkicks their way into the car, no matter which direction you approach it from. That's got to be worth something.

Get hyped, Vinny. A new FigherZ has been revealed.
0NOXBqn.gif

DescriptiveNextFrog-size_restricted.gif

WigglyDenseFlies.gif

Strax

I've always thought SR3 is a game Jeff should dislike. Everything about it screams trying too hard in the same way as Sunset Overdrive but x10.

Joeku

I've always thought SR3 is a game Jeff should dislike. Everything about it screams trying too hard in the same way as Sunset Overdrive but x10.

I'd agree with you entirely if it was trying to hard. However, to me (and apparently Jeff) it managed everything it did effortlessly. No cringe-inducing attempts at jokes, nothing overstaying its welcome. Just prime, clean long-running chess humour.

Edit: The way it lands may entirely be an Anglosphere thing. If you're not from North America or England, I can entirely understand it not working super cleanly.

- J - D -

I'ma need a timestamp for this.

A timestamp maybe later since it'll take some effort, but I can tell you now that it was during their Best Multiplayer segment during their 2012 goty podcasts. Brad was defending ME3's multiplayer when Jeff accused it of being another horde mode.

oti

Banned
I don't remember that, need to hear that. I remember Patrick talking pretty fondly of it always.

Patrick wanted it on the list. Said it introduced him to the Souls-like genre etc. Jeff liked the game too but hadn't played a lot. Brad was not amused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom