• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

I can see that also the whole Sonytoo thing probably didn't help them either.

I didn't really care about that as we will never actually know what Sony's plans may or may not have been. But the continued insistence of the point that Sony might have been planning DRM after their E3 show was irritating as all get out, because, hey, they didn't do it. And MS did.

Zaph

The period from the Xbone reveal to the "clarification" about the always-online stuff was pretty fucking embarrassing for Giant Bomb. It wasn't a comfortable time.

It wasn't pretty. I'm gonna chalk it up to the industry-wide hysteria brought on by the shock of MS preparing to do something so insane.

It was surreal - I mean multiple, highly experienced professionals must have approved policies which required large infographics to explain. The CDC should have investigated Redmond.

I didn't really care about that as we will never actually know what Sony's plans may or may not have been. But the continued insistence of the point that Sony might have been planning DRM after their E3 show was irritating as all get out, because, hey, they didn't do it. And MS did.

It sounded irritating to me because it sounded like a big "I give up. Whatever."

sixghost

The period from the Xbone reveal to the "clarification" about the always-online stuff was pretty fucking embarrassing for Giant Bomb. It wasn't a comfortable time.

And then some asshole went and stole their equipment so we didn't even get a podcast the night the MS and Sony press conferences happened. That was the biggest disappointment in the history of the site. By the time they podcasted it was like two days later and everyone had cooled off.

And then some asshole went and stole their equipment so we didn't even get a podcast the night the MS and Sony press conferences happened. That was the biggest disappointment in the history of the site. By the time they podcasted it was like two days later and everyone had cooled off.

At least we got Drew's video, and it was mostly just games-focused.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

All the Xbone DRM fiasco did was just let me know even more to not give a shit what 99% of the games media says. So it was good in that way. Patrick was the most irritating, along with the two Polygon "journalists."

RE_Player

Listening to an old Bombcast and thought it was funny when they were talking about EA and Jeff said:

"You know what if you love Battlefield 3, buy everything for it and play it constantly... you should probably pre-order Battlefield 4. They probably aren't going to fuck it up."

lol

Patrick's review of that Animu game is up

Expected but still hurts a lot.

Also:

That loses its charm after a while, especially when the credits begin rolling, and it becomes clear not much has ultimately advanced after the events of the original game. A similar problem plagued the equally-out-there Zero Escape series also produced by Chunsoft. This is a fun sequel spinning its wheels, capitalizing on what worked well before without real progress towards an endgame. Like most sequels, that works once, but it won't a third time.

Well, they are not goint to resolve the main conflict in the second game given that is a popular franchise. And part of the fun is trying to figure out what exactly happened...

Glad that he liked Chiaki.

Mr. F

Banned
Great final episode of MGS. Never beat the first game so the info dumps at the end definitely helped fill in some of my lacking (confusing as fuck) series mythology. Also glad Drew came around and wants to carry on with the series, definitely had doubts some episodes.

shwimpy

Great final episode of MGS. Never beat the first game so the info dumps at the end definitely helped fill in some of my lacking (confusing as fuck) series mythology. Also glad Drew came around and wants to carry on with the series, definitely had doubts some episodes.
Did they mention when they're starting MGS2?

FluxWaveZ

Expected but still hurts a lot.

Why? He gave the first game three stars. And the game's been reviewed positively, in general. You shouldn't let it hurt you.

Well, they are not goint to resolve the main conflict in the second game given that is a popular franchise. And part of the fun is trying to figure out what exactly happened...

I will disagree with him on this part, however. I don't see the need for there to be some huge, world changing event that the game's arc revolves around. Like the Ace Attorney series, I think it's okay to have games—especially mystery/crime games—revolve around unique instances/cases without each game having to tie into each other or push some greater narrative forward. The DR2 ending isn't a cliffhanger, unlike Virtue's Last Reward, and, to me, I see Danganronpa like Ace Attorney, in that they could make as many games as they wanted to with the same fundamental elements, but with different mysteries and characters.

So patrick never reviewed VLR? I'm playing it now and, while i think it's a competent followup to 999, it sure does feel more like 999 1.5 than a true sequel to 999. Still, i'm only about half way through all of the scenarios and maybe it'll open up a bit before the end.

Did they mention when they're starting MGS2?

If we're lucky, itll be before the year is out. Drew is on vacation for a few weeks and when he returns we'll be in the middle of the holiday rush.

Expected. When I first heard Patrick talk about the improved gameplay when he was only in the start of the game, I knew he hadn't played the "improved" hangman's gambit or logic dive yet.

Let me ask you then: Is this series more pervy than Zero Escape? Zero Escape can get a little pervy but never really anything that seems like full on fan service.

Why? He gave the first game three stars. And the game's been reviewed positively, in general. You shouldn't let it hurt you.

Because I disagree with a lot of his opinions about the first game and I feel this game deserves better than 3 (his opinion and everything, I know, still I feel that everybody knew how it was to end).

Also, a past discussion in this thread about didn't actually leave me good memories.

FluxWaveZ

Let me ask you then: Is this series more pervy than Zero Escape? Zero Escape can get a little pervy but never really anything that seems like full on fan service.

The first Danganronpa isn't more pervy than 999/VLR. There are parts in the second game that are a bit excessive with that, though, but not it's not too overbearing or consistent with that.

Zaph

As someone who's only played MGS1 15 years ago, and with no reverence nor knowledge of the series, I'll say one thing about my journey into Twin Snakes so far:

*treads lightly*

I'm really enjoying the new cutscenes.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Are we sure that's not an "if"?

Drew said they'll definitely be doing MGS2 some time after he returns from vacation (not necessarily immediately after, just impossible within the next month). After the game was over he was incredibly positive about MGS ("How could you not like that game?") and Dan's been talking the entire time about how much of a leap MGS2 is in gameplay and control.

DanRyckert

A good strange little man
Bah he hasn't even been able to make Mario Party Party 2 a reality. That should be a priority

The *only* thing stopping the Mario Party Party 2 stream is the fact that we don't have a copy on N64. I can get them to play it soon, we just need to get our hands on it.

Also, MGS2 is a "when, not if" situation. It's happening.

at the end of the last episode, Drew seemed legitimately interested in seeing where the story goes after the bombshell after the credits. I'm sure they'll probably do MGS2.

my copy of Danganronpa 2 is still in its shrinkwrap, but I thought the general fan consensus was that- stupid minigames aside- 2 was possibly better than the first.

and I mean, given that I know what the "grand" plot of the series is, I'm not even sure that we could expect some kind of resolution out of a sequel like 2. (DR1 spoilers)
I mean the world/ japan is basically totally fucked right? ... what could you do to fix that?

anyway, I'm looking forward to digging into that when I get the time. so many people are losing their goddamn minds at some of the plot twists tthat I'm seriously excited.

The *only* thing stopping the Mario Party Party 2 stream is the fact that we don't have a copy on N64. I can get them to play it soon, we just need to get our hands on it.

SOMEONE SEND THIS MAN A CART, STAT.

someone in this thread is sending Dan a cart IIRC

the REAL question is why is Brad, former grandmaster of premium content, slacking lately

Dan, you going to show Drew that epic as fuck MGS2 reveal at E3? Because that's gotta be one of the best reveals in the history of gaming.

That gave me legit goosebumps as i watched my terribly compressed version of it from the Gamespot servers back in, what, 2000? 2001?

PensOwl

Banned

Well, in their defense they did have some justification for that theory. I was watching the one and only Spelunky Breaking Brad a while ago, and they were talking about some patent Sony had filed for disc based DRM. I hadn't heard of anything like that before, so I looked it up and yeah, Sony had filed a patent in 2012 for verifying game discs with RFID. Pair that with how dumb it would be for Microsoft to be the only one gunning for no used games and it's easy to see how they could've been so adamant on this.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Awesome. And yeah you need to play MP2 on the N64 and not the eshop version, good call.

Draxyle

Neo Member
I kept looking at her, thinking "that's gotta be a shirt, right? I'm just not seeing the details of the shirt oh god it's just a giant necklace covering her boobs."

That's about one of my only complaints with VLR (besides one twist in particular that just was too far fetched to make any sense), those outfits of her and Clover are so distractingly bizarre to the point where they actually take away from the atmosphere of the game. At least with 999 they (sorta) justify that one particular girl's outfit in the story, but I don't remember anything in VLR justifying Alice and Clover.

Top Bottom