• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

sub_o

at the end of the last episode, Drew seemed legitimately interested in seeing where the story goes after the bombshell after the credits. I'm sure they'll probably do MGS2.

my copy of Danganronpa 2 is still in its shrinkwrap, but I thought the general fan consensus was that- stupid minigames aside- 2 was possibly better than the first.

and I mean, given that I know what the "grand" plot of the series is, I'm not even sure that we could expect some kind of resolution out of a sequel like 2. (DR1 spoilers)
I mean the world/ japan is basically totally fucked right? ... what could you do to fix that?

anyway, I'm looking forward to digging into that when I get the time. so many people are losing their goddamn minds at some of the plot twists tthat I'm seriously excited.

It's a better game, the mini games are stupider. The story becomes even crazier than one would expect it.

Yeah, about the setting, they managed to find a way. You should play it. Forget about Patrick's review, everyone else gave it a glowing 4/5.

bonercop

Danganronpa 2 is great fun. Then again, unlike Patrick, I actually like the core gameplay of that series(firing truthbulletz and in 2: TRUTHBLADEZ) and this...

Not helping matters is one-too-many contradictions that can't reasonably be figured out except through sheer trial-and-error. Danganronpa's interface makes it extremely difficult to consider all your evidence at once, which quickly leads to exasperated guessing.

was never an issue for me. Most other minigames put in for variety's sake do suck ass, tho.
As someone who's only played MGS1 15 years ago, and with no reverence nor knowledge of the series, I'll say one thing about my journey into Twin Snakes so far:

*treads lightly*

I'm really enjoying the new cutscenes.
that's fine, people waaaay over-exaggerate the flaws of that game. Sure, they (somehow managed to) cranked up the anime factor with Snake leapfrogging over missiles and shit, but it's not like that kind of thing is out of place in the MGS series, especially today. And some things are better -- lIke replacing mei ling's kind-of-racist VA work.

The real reason twin snakes gets a lot of shit is because people just love MGS1 a whole lot and have fond memories of it.

that's fine, people waaaay over-exaggerate the flaws of that game. Sure, they (somehow managed to) cranked up the anime factor with Snake leapfrogging over missiles and shit, but it's not like that kind of thing is out of place in the MGS series, especially today. And some things are better -- lIke replacing mei ling's kind-of-racist VA work.

The real reason twin snakes gets a lot of shit is because people just love MGS1 a whole lot and have fond memories of it.

It's been discussed ad nauseum in this thread, but the short of it is that the MGS2 mechanics have been added but the game's design wasn't adjusted for it. also, it looks worse than MGS2 and the cutscenes are worse, regardless of whether Kojima approved of them or not.

bonercop

It's been discussed ad nauseum in this thread, but the short of it is that the MGS2 mechanics have been added but the game's design wasn't adjusted for it. also, it looks worse than MGS2 and the cutscenes are worse, regardless of whether Kojima approved of them or not.

I think that's more a problem with MGS1's art direction than twin snakes rendition of it. They made a faithful recreation of the environments in that game. That they were rather bland looking compared to MGS2's way more interesting environments can't be helped. Besides, I don't see how that's a fair comparision. We should compare it to MGS1, not 2.

As for the gameplay: you're right, and a more competent remake would have also accounted for that -- but I think that's only relevant if you're trying to analyze which of the two is the better game. If you're someone who just wants to get the best possible version of MGS1, I think the improvements in twin snakes that allow you to circumvent some of the shitty, tedious elements of the original wins out in the gameplay department.
I'd still say you should play MGS1 over Twin Snakes if someone asked me, though

I think that's more a problem with MGS1's art direction than twin snakes rendition of it. They made a faithful recreation of the environments in that game. That they were rather bland looking compared to MGS2's way more interesting environments can't be helped. Besides, I don't see how that's a fair comparision. We should compare it to MGS1, not 2.

But the character models look worse than MGS2, though. everyone looked super wrong.

the funniest thing to me was that Silicon Knights wanted to be tonally consistent and then Kojima stepped in and said "lol anime" and that's the end product we got.

So patrick never reviewed VLR? I'm playing it now and, while i think it's a competent followup to 999, it sure does feel more like 999 1.5 than a true sequel to 999. Still, i'm only about half way through all of the scenarios and maybe it'll open up a bit before the end.

It gets really cool and takes the series in an awesome direction, which we may never see realized, unfortunately. People would rather play those lame Danganronpa games.

That's about one of my only complaints with VLR (besides one twist in particular that just was too far fetched to make any sense), those outfits of her and Clover are so distractingly bizarre to the point where they actually take away from the atmosphere of the game. At least with 999 they (sorta) justify that one particular girl's outfit in the story, but I don't remember anything in VLR justifying Alice and Clover.

I think that they are supposed to be
undercover
, still a crappy excuse...

It gets really cool and takes the series in an awesome direction, which we may never see realized, unfortunately. People would rather play those lame Danganronpa games.

Pretty sure is the same company and they share some staff.

Tell Vinny he was always my favorite....

u2L8z0U.png

bonercop

I think that they are supposed to be
undercover
, still a crappy excuse...

Pretty sure is the same company and they share some staff.

If it wasn't for Danganronpa selling well enough to the point that there's a third person shooter spin-off on the horizon, chunsoft would clearly be forced to fund zero escape 3!
haha, yeah no.

Yeah, Spike Chunsoft. If DR makes way more money than ZE, they're not going to waste time making ZE. Opportunity cost. Which is a shame because I really don't like DR and I really like ZE.

The reason we might not get a ZE3 has to do with those games selling like crap in Japan -- crap as in, they're not making back the money they invested developing them. In an alternate universe where Danganronpa was never made, I bet Chunsoft would sooner try their luck with a new IP than risk putting another ZE out there. In fact, I think they'd be less inclined.

If it wasn't for Danganronpa selling well enough to the point that there's a third person shooter spin-off on the horizon, chunsoft would clearly be forced to fund zero escape 3!
haha, yeah no.

The reason we might not get a ZE3 has to do with the game selling like crap in Japan -- crap as in, they're not making back the money they invested developing it. In an alternate universe where Danganronpa was never made, I bet Chunsoft would sooner try their luck with a new IP than risk putting another ZE out there. In fact, I think they'd be less inclined.

DR's success means there's literally no reason to try and make ZE a bigger thing. If DR was a failure or never existed, I would think they'd be more inclined to attempt to cash-in on anything half-way recognizable (even it had previously tanked in one region), but feel free to disagree. The reality is that people would rather read about murder bears and dysfunctional teens than absurd super science, so this is all hypothetical.

All the Xbone DRM fiasco did was just let me know even more to not give a shit what 99% of the games media says. So it was good in that way. Patrick was the most irritating, along with the two Polygon "journalists."

him mentioning that "sony too" stuff without much info and after the fact (Sony didn't go with DRM) was a bit annoying since it was just some teasing horseshit for something that didn't happen in an attempt to defend a previous stance plus downplay the buzz sony got.

DR's success means there's literally no reason to try and make ZE a bigger thing. If DR was a failure or never existed, I would think they'd be more inclined to attempt to cash-in on anything half-way recognizable (even it had previously tanked in one region), but feel free to disagree. The reality is that people would rather read about murder bears and dysfunctional teens than absurd super science, so this is all hypothetical.

You are saying this like if Japanese video games companies were in good state, to begin with.

Myggen

Dan needs to be Persona-fied like the rest of the crew.

Someone else than the guy who did the originals would have to do it, since he's said that he has no plans on doing it now (would feel compelled to redo the other portraits if he did Dan and Jason because his style has changed since he did those originally).

Tregard

Soothsayer
Oh lordy lord, I sort-of-kind-of know the guys who made Schrodingers Cat Raiders of the Lost Quark, surreal seeing a Quick Look of a game made by people I know (kind of sort of).

daydream

Banned
Someone else than the guy who did the originals would have to do it, since he's said that he has no plans on doing it now (would feel compelled to redo the other portraits if he did Dan and Jason because his style has changed since he did those originally).

That's too bad. Maybe one day he'll redo them.

I think part of it is that MGS1's environmental design seemed perfect for the PS1's hardware. It's a grungy and dirty industrial complex in the middle of a snowy wasteland. Warped, pixelated textures, crude harsh lighting, and chunky models at a janky framerate just seemed to work somehow. Presenting it with sharper textures and cleaner graphics at 60fps somehow sterilized it.

I think part of it is that MGS1's environmental design seemed perfect for the PS1's hardware. It's a grungy and dirty industrial complex in the middle of a snowy wasteland. Warped, pixelated textures, crude harsh lighting, and chunky models at a janky framerate just seemed to work somehow. Presenting it with sharper textures and cleaner graphics at 60fps somehow sterilized it.

Well put.

Myggen

Such a great soundtrack from such an amazing movie... Hummel get's the rocket is amazing. Gives me goosebumps everytime.

Thinking of what has become of him as a filmmaker, I still find it amazing that Michael Bay managed to make one of my all time favourite action movies. And yeah, that soundtrack is something else.

Finished watching MGS. MGS2 kind of tosses the poignance and grounded-ness out the window in favour of Anime bullshit though so it will be interesting to see what Drew thinks.

Oh and if Drew is still around on Friday they should totally look at Twin Snakes.

Shadow Moses and Midgar in FF7 are engrained in my head as the most atmospheric places in all games. The music and over all sound design really nail the setting.

All talk surrounding ZE sounds like ZE itself.

Top Bottom