• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

popo

On one hand I agree that he can support whoever he likes and screw the idiots.

On the other hand, he must know that invoking that name will inflame both the more reactionary GB fans and the gamersgate nuts.

He could have expressed support in better ways that would not stoke the flames.

Next thing he will be condemning the replies - replies that would not exist had he not made a public tweet like that.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
There is literally zero problem with Patrick's tweet. He expressed a positive opinion about a colleague's work, there is no way to interpret any asshole's insane overreaction as anything but evidence of their own mental deficiencies. He shouldn't self-censor completely reasonable opinions in support of somebody who is being unfairly targeted because there are jackasses who might target him too.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Next thing he will be condemning the replies - replies that would not exist had he not made a public tweet like that.

We'll get a blog post about it.

Intel apparently pulled ads from Gamasutra because of pressure from gamergate people over some of Leigh's articles over there. It's fucking dumb.

They...believed those people? She doesn't even work there any more.

Well, at least it explains Scoops' pulling a Nietschke...

popo

I find Alex's last tweet much more interesting. What's wolf talking about?

h5WqpM1.png

I hadn't heard about that disgusting "hood men" tweet until now.

Was it not "hood rat"? She also made a joke about Irish drinking and fighting that was pretty tame and people are declaring her a racist for.

Myggen

On the other hand, he must know that invoking that name will inflame both the more reactionary GB fans and the gamersgate nuts.

Eh, I don't see what's so bad about that tweet and how he can express support in a better way than that. Also, no one should care much about what the extremists think when saying stuff, on Twitter or elsewhere. GB fans or not. Also, looking at the replies there doesn't seem to be much controversy, just the usual gamergate crowd crying over nothing. Nothing to see here imo.

edit: I doubt EmCee will be happy if we drag the bigger question over gamergate into this thread, so maybe I'll stop here.

Haunted

"invoking that name"

what the fuck am I reading.

If the mere mention of Leigh Alexander is enough to rattle some people, let them be rattled, let them be insecure and lash out. It only makes it easier to spot the trash.

There is literally zero problem with Patrick's tweet. He expressed a positive opinion about a colleague's work, there is no way to interpret any asshole's insane overreaction as anything but evidence of their own mental deficiencies. He shouldn't self-censor completely reasonable opinions in support of somebody who is being unfairly targeted because there are jackasses who might target him too.
Ayup!

Patrick is not one to step back and let bullies silence his opinions, and that's why he is invaluable.

Myggen

"invoking that name"

If the mere mention of Leigh Alexander is enough to rattle some people, let them be rattled, let them be insecure and lash out. It only makes it easier to spot the worthwhile part of the community from the trash.

Exactly.

Zaph

oh God. Patrick's twitter is about to blow up. You would think he of all people would know better.
He's right, she's a good writer. Fuck the crazies. However I'd never tweet universal support like that for someone who has publicly insulted my co-workers' work multiple times. It's weird.

Then again, this industry is always weird when it comes to social media and similar things. The expectation for discretion and professionalism is low. I frequently see really big names make gossipy comments that just wouldn't fly elsewhere.

Myggen

He's right, she's a good writer. Fuck the crazies. However I'd never tweet universal support like that for someone who has publicly insulted my co-workers' work multiple times. It's weird.

Then again, this industry is always weird when it comes to social media and similar things. The expectation for discretion and professionalism is low. I frequently see really big names make gossipy comments that just wouldn't fly elsewhere.

That's more Twitter than "this industry" imo. I follow plenty of other entertainment journalists and political journalists on Twitter, and some of them can get very personal about stuff too. I just think Twitter can be really weird in the way it blends the person and the professional persona.

Draxyle

Neo Member
It was pretty disgusting looking into the replies of that simple tweet. People hold grudges for the most ridiculous things.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"invoking that name"

If the mere mention of Leigh Alexander is enough to rattle some people, let them be rattled, let them be insecure and lash out. It only makes it easier to spot the trash.
Go back to the old GB threads on GAF. People in this very community hate/hated her back then, especially the second time when Ryan apparently called her psychotic or something in a screenshot.

Didn't this take like 10 hours for people to do? If so I don't see this happening.
Yeah, without any instruction, there's a lot of trial and error. The game doesn't tell you a single thing about what to do and introduces mechanics not found in any other part of the game.

popo

Didn't this take like 10 hours for people to do? If so I don't see this happening.

The first people to do it took 10 hours. There has been a lot of loot balancing since and despite Brads wish to go in blind - I bet one of his team will have read up on the strats.

Oh she's probably actually good at expressing her opinions. That's probably an accurate compliment.

I'll refrain from commenting further on what I think of those opinions however.

Has Leigh done any shit steering the last week or two that is worth anyone getting angry about after that first article.

Have not followed that mess since she got involved TBH. She gets too much joy starting fires.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first people to do it took 10 hours. There has been a lot of loot balancing since and despite Brads wish to go in blind - I bet one of his team will have read up on the strats.
Yeah, or I bet someone will break down and just look it up themselves while playing. lol

RE_Player

I hope people realize that those nasty replies in regards to Leigh and Patrick's tweets to her represent an extreme vocal minority. Not excusing the behaviour but lets not become incensed about it and declare "Gaming and gamers are terrible!" like some others are.

Myggen

I hope people realize that those nasty replies in regards to Leigh and Patrick's tweets to her represent an extreme vocal minority. Not excusing the behaviour but lets not become incensed about it and declare "Gaming and gamers are terrible!" like some others are.

No one here have said anything like that.

Anyways, a next gen F1 game is gonna look amazing.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
whats the short and sweet on this gamersgate thing?

I still have no clue what it is and haven't had the time or patience to really look.

Yeah, without any instruction, there's a lot of trial and error. The game doesn't tell you a single thing about what to do and introduces mechanics not found in any other part of the game.
I saw some of that when I was watching those streams. I couldn't watch all of it, it was just to much.

Me too.

Ketch

whats the short and sweet on this gamersgate thing?

I still have no clue what it is and haven't had the time or patience to really look.

The short and sweet?

Some people speak out against tropes regarding females in video games with varying degress of valid criticism. Some vocal portion of the gaming audience takes offense and goes off the deep end with real life threats and harassment. Also unfounded accusations regarding gaming press and developer personal sex lives serve as a scapegoat for hate speech.

Nerokis

I just started watching An Idiot Abroad. 3 minutes in, and the Dan vibes I'm getting are already insane.

"[Chinese people] wreck everything. They make everything weird. Everything. Chicken! Why is it orange in Chinatown?"

Chuck

Still without luck
"invoking that name"

She specifically tried to attack GB's fanbase directly by saying any shitty piece she's written is better than everything GB has ever done ever.

Also Patrick is on drugs if her lunacy is in any way "well articulated", lol

I just started watching An Idiot Abroad. 3 minutes in, and the Dan vibes I'm getting are already insane.

"[Chinese people] wreck everything. They make everything weird. Everything. Chicken! Why is it orange in Chinatown?"

The more Karl Pilkington I watch, the more intelligent I think he is. He has honestly said some crazy shit that actually made me reexamine preconceptions I had about something. I'm waiting for a similarly philosophic Dan moment. I may be waiting a while.

Top Bottom