• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

OnlyWonderBoy

Neo Member
XCOM getting GOTY seems so weird in retrospect. A turn based strategy game based on a classic PC title. Especially when I vaguely remember their reaction to the FPS reveal before was, "oh well there's no way to make a turn based strategy game successful in this market, 2K is just playing it smart."

Oh man I actually forgot that it won. I guess the debate was much less heated than Saint's Row vs Skyrim so it didn't stand out as much to me.

Eh, everybody loved X-com from what I remember and they didn't all love The Last of Us. I think it could have still took it if it was released in 2013, to be honest I think X-com's a much better game than the cinematic tedium of The Last of Us..

Well, let me rephrase what i said: 2012 was a year where the games in contention were not the games people were expecting to be in contention. And X-com is fantastic, easily deserving of that title. Whether it's better than TLOU, to each their own, but people weren't shocked that a stellar Naughty Dog game won for 2013.

If Mordor or something that isn't a major franchise game or coming from a major, well known studio wins, then yeah this year and 2012 end up pretty similar in that regard.

That one was nothing compared to Uncharted 2 vs Arkham Asylum. Man.

Yeah but U2 vs AA is a legit discussion because both games deserved that title. It was a coin flip for me, so i could get that debate.

Skyrim vs SR3 was a joke. Ryan just kinda tapped out in the end there and they gave the award to a game that was a sloppy technical bore of a mess. It was just rough to listen to.

FStop7

Banned
I found that assumption completely bizarre. I was always taught it was a UK and Japan thing. Not a Europe thing, which contains neither countries.

It's mostly places that were under the influence of the British Empire at some point or another.

I wouldn't surprised if Brad clawed Destiny into the top 10 though, he was already lining up the positive arguments in the latest bombcast!

Destiny's a disappointment but it's still easily top 10 material. Vault of Glass is pretty amazing. I'd pick it well ahead of a game like Titanfall, in which the titular Titans are walking bullseyes that are often liabilities rather than the fear-inspiring death machines they should have been.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Skyrim 100% deserves GOTY if SR3 is the top competition. Saints Row 3 had even worse mission structure and moment to moment gameplay than Skyrim did.

edit: Obviously though, neither was really the best game that year. But if the discussion is Skyrim or SR3, Skyrim. Skyrim Skyrim Skyrim, so many Skyrim.

Aaron

I remember seeing people say that about Enemy Unknown and that Xenonauts would be the true successor. And we saw how that went.
I didn't say that after seeing Enemy Unknown in action, while I never had any faith in Xenonauts. Beyond Earth though is just leaving me cold.

Well, let me rephrase what i said: 2012 was a year where the games in con
Yeah but U2 vs AA is a legit discussion because both games deserved that title. It was a coin flip for me, so i could get that debate.

Skyrim vs SR3 was a joke. Ryan just kinda tapped out in the end there and they gave the award to a game that was a sloppy technical bore of a mess for that year. It was just rough to listen to.
The funniest or well dumbest part of Skyrim vs Saints Row 3 was that Ryan didnt even play Skyrim,

sixghost

In retrospect, The Walking Dead and XCOM being the main contenders that year show that 2012 was a shit year for games. Not as bad as this year though.

If your standard for a good year in games means producing 1 or 2 generation defining games, then sure. There were a lot of really solid games that came out that year. Stuff like Spec Ops, Dragons Dogma, Planetside 2, FTL, Sleeping Dogs or Hotline Miami aren't going to be on any 'best games of all time" lists but they were all enjoyable. Looking back, 2012 had quite a few of my favorite games this generation.

Skyrim 100% deserves GOTY if SR3 is the top competition. Saints Row 3 had even worse mission structure and moment to moment gameplay than Skyrim did.

I enjoyed most of the mission structure in SR3 and thought the moment to moment gameplay was really fun. I liked nothing about Skyrim with both of those things in particular being terrible.

The disappointing things about SR3 wasn't so much that it was a better/worse game. It's that Jeff and Ryan clearly loved it and they ultimately gave in to Brad's filibustering. Not to mention that Skyrim was going to get a billion GOTY rewards so the recognition to SR3 would be far more meaningful to the team that worked on it.

RE_Player

The funniest or well dumbest part of Skyrim vs Saints Row 3 was that Ryan didnt even play Skyrim,
I always found that hilarious.

My favourite GOTY discussion will always be the whole 2010 best downloadable add-on discussion. Brad not backing down from Minerva's Den no matter what even though Vinny made compelling arguments like Brad not even playing Bioshock 2, the game Minerva's Den is adding on too.

Jeff said on one of the bombcasts that it was the most exciting thing he saw. I think Vinny said similarly. When they talked about activating the rails in the chase. There's a bombcast where they gushed about it more than anything I ever saw them gush about Destiny pre-release.

iirc Vinny was really bummed when it got delayed thinking it would be one of the games to get with his new PS4.

In hindsight the game must have been in really bad shape if they decided to release it at that point and i wonder what would have been the reaction then.

I always found that hilarious.

My favourite GOTY discussion will always be the whole 2010 best downloadable add-on discussion. Brad not backing down from Minerva's Den no matter what even though Vinny made compelling arguments like Brad not even playing Bioshock 2, the game Minerva's Den is adding on too.

This is my favorite as well. For the record, Brad was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT and they made the right choice.

I enjoyed most of the mission structure in SR3 and thought the moment to moment gameplay was really fun. I liked nothing about Skyrim with both of those things in particular being terrible.

The disappointing things about SR3 wasn't so much that it was a better/worse game. It's that Jeff and Ryan clearly loved it and they ultimately gave in to Brad's filibustering. Not to mention that Skyrim was going to get a billion GOTY rewards so the recognition to SR3 would be far more meaningful to the team that worked on it.
Yup. Based on "Giantbomb values" SR3 should have been their GotY 2011.

Variety in tastes and values among a critical audience is a good thing. Ryan, God rest his soul, fell into the 'this game is more important to other people' trap and gave his vote to Skyrim, WHEN HE HADN'T EVEN PLAYED SKYRIM.

Miss you Ryan. :D

daydream

Banned
Doesn't take long to explain, and a game takes about 30-ish minutes. So expect a few games.

We usually get through games in 20-30 minutes, unless there is a ton of discussion. And by discussion I mean shouting.

tumblr_mz9hq22FDx1s4wcdio1_250.gif

Excellent.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

All I'm saying is if my name's on the list and somebody's arguing for SR3 to be the best game of the year, I'm Bradding the fuck out of that room too until we come to a more reasonable conclusion.

megalowho

Best GOTY discussion they've ever done is still 2008 for me, the one that culminated in GTA vs. MGS. They picked 10 finalists that year before even getting to the podcast, so instead of culling a giant list by poking holes in a bunch of solid games they really fixated on the positive reasons why those finalists deserved to be there. Not sure they'll ever return to that format but it still stands out as memorable pure gaming discussion, still point new folks to that episode to get a taste of GB at the top of their game.

sixghost

Best GOTY discussion they've ever done is still 2008 for me, the one that culminated in GTA vs. MGS. They picked 10 finalists that year before even getting to the podcast, so instead of culling a giant list by poking holes in a bunch of solid games they really fixated on the positive reasons why those finalists deserved to be there. Not sure they'll ever return to that format but it still stands out as memorable pure gaming discussion, still point new folks to that episode to get a taste of GB at the top of their game.

That's my favorite podcast they've ever done. It was just a 2 hour celebration of their 10 favorite games.

Myggen

I doubt they'll ever return to that format. Part of the reason why they do the GOTY is to show the whole process, which you partly lose if you pick the top 10 before recording.

I'm so far behind on GB content. All my free time has been building, setting up and overclocking my new PC. It went smoothly but I was think as I was doing it how terrible it would be if I was recording it and trying to explain what I was doing as I was doing it. I empathize with Vinny and Alex.

The game is obvious GOTY material but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment when literally every one else in the podcast room with you will just shrug it off and move on.

game sux though

It will be interesting to see how Dan handles the GOTY stuff. The arguments can be intense/stupid

sixghost

I'm so far behind on GB content. All my free time has been building, setting up and overclocking my new PC.

Is there any specific game you are overclocking for? I ended up leaving it stock after fiddling around for a few days because there were hardly any games that were cpu limited when I built my PC a couple years ago.

MGS4 totally deserved the award more than GTA4. I wouldn't be surprised if the gang had changed their minds on the subject considering how they all agree that GTA4 has aged extremely poorly.

Is there any specific game you are overclocking for? I ended up leaving it stock after fiddling around for a few days because there were hardly any games that were cpu limited when I built my PC a couple years ago.

I'm aiming for 144/120hz gaming and at higher framerates, CPU can definitely be a factor, in particular, single thread performance. Also, it's so easy and safe now-a-days, it just makes sense to go for the free performance.

megalowho

I doubt they'll ever return to that format. Part of the reason why they do the GOTY is to show the whole process, which you partly lose if you pick the top 10 before recording.
Yeah, and don't get me wrong I enjoy the bickering and bargaining as well. But there is a tradeoff to the transparency of multi-day marathon recordings, it's hard to wax poetic and not fixate on nit picks after that much back and forth. Maybe taking a break after they determine a top 10 to properly celebrate their best games of the year is a good compromise between putting it all on tape and delivering a great final podcast.

LiK

Jeff's response to Dan beating MGS again is great.

@DanRyckert Congratulations on watching that lightly interactive anime presentation in a mere three hours. You truly are a leopard!

Sounds like Danny (via his Twitter) is turning The Lobby into UPF - Gamespot Edition. "Longer, looser".

Should be good, when some those folks let their hair down its a fun show and Danny can certainly run it. Have the GB guys visit just like he does on UPF.

He's said timoflegend, Eric Pope, Big Breakfast all coming up soon.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Sounds like Danny (via his Twitter) is turning The Lobby into UPF - Gamespot Edition. "Longer, looser".

Should be good, when some those folks let their hair down its a fun show and Danny can certainly run it. Have the GB guys visit just like he does on UPF.

They should just play GangBeasts

GBE Playdate? What's that?

daydream

Banned

Dave Lang is one way to me watch a show.

But seriously, sounds like a change for the better. I feel bad for not watching a Danny production but it's just so boring in its current state.

You liked all the thoroughly mediocre third person shooting in SR3?

Sorry, did I fucking stutter in my post?

I found the moment to moment gameplay fun. Part of it was the world building, part of it was the humour, part of it was clearing a crowd of enemies with exploding head-shots then diving through a car wind shield to make a speedy escape. Also I played in on a PC so it was with mouse aim so it didn't turn into an auto-aimfest like GTA5.

I didn't play GTA V with any auto aim, and GTAIV lets you use free aim by completely holding the trigger down on consoles.

And I thought Saints Row the Third was pretty poor at launch, and a vastly inferior game to the second in every way but being able jump through car windows so I can't understand how it got to that point. Doesn't really matter though, have never cared about GOTY discussions. Too much variation and diversity most years to really choose one game. Discussions about trends and general quality can be fun though.

Myggen

Skyrim deserved to win GOTY hands down
I preferred SR2 style and hated 3

I loved SR3's story and goofy atmosphere, but thought it played pretty badly. I know that Skyrim is a heavily flawed game, but it's still one of my favourite games of last gen. Might be me being a fanboy of the TES series and I totally understand why some people don't like the game, but I've spent about 300 hours in that world and think it's fucking fantastic.

Top Bottom