• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Google

My only real issue with soccer is extra time. From my limited understanding of it, it seems pretty arbitrary, no? And are both teams notified in advance as to if there is going to be extra time? Because i can see a team being frustrated with it if they have a lead or something.

Are you people honestly unaware of how extra time works in Soccer/Football?

Time is added on when teams waste time, have injuries, score a goal or make substitutions.

This time is then presented for all to see via a giant marker on the halfway line at around the 89th minute. The referee then uses this number as the minimum amount of time allowed for extra/injury time.

Are you people honestly unaware of how extra time works in Soccer/Football?

Time is added on when teams waste time, have injuries, score a goal or make substitutions.

This time is then presented for all to see via a giant marker on the halfway line at around the 89th minute. The referee then uses this number as the minimum amount of time allowed for extra/injury time.

Yeah, dude, us Americans only watch it once every 4 years. Thanks for explaining it! Also, presenting that at the 89th minute sounds rough. I guess you have to plan your moves with extra time in mind.

LeBart

Not to derail the thread into video games talk, but that message at the start of Ethan Carter is such bullshit. I completely forgot that it was there until I saw it in the quick look just now.
I mean there's no arrow telling you where to go at all times, there's no annoying camera pan showing you the door you just unlocked or anything like that, but come on... The path is always obvious, the puzzles are stupid easy, and the story leaves very little open to interpretation. You can miss some parts of the narrative but all that does is it forces you to backtrack at the very end. You never actually have to use your brain in this game.

I really liked it, in the same way I liked Dear Esther, but these games are the definition of hand-holdy to me. I don't know why they felt the need to proudly claim that it is not.

Jokab

My only real issue with soccer is extra time. From my limited understanding of it, it seems pretty arbitrary, no? And are both teams notified in advance as to if there is going to be extra time? Because i can see a team being frustrated with it if they have a lead or something.

But naw, i don't care for football mainly because it's just barely better than baseball as far as entertainment goes. Love me some b-ball, though.

It's pretty much like this:
* The biggest decider for amount of extra time is how many substitutions there have been. The rule of thumb is each one adds 30 seconds (they may or may not take this long). So six allowed subs * 30 = 3 minutes added. Which coindidentally is by far the most common extra time in the second half. In the first half, there usually aren't any subs, so it's usually 1 minute if there was an injury or something, or even more common no extra time at all.
* Only blatant forms of intentional delaying from the team which benefits from it (leading, or needing draw to advance or something) will cause time to get added to the extra time clock.
* It's very uncommon for second half extra time to be anything other than 3-5 minutes.
* The players are notified at the 90 minute mark if there is any extra time, and how much.

Example: first half, nothing happens, no goals, no injuries. No added time
Second half: all six substitutions, three goals, no injuries. Probably four minutes added.

It probably seems stupid from an outside perspective but I think it works fine.

Google

I guess you have to plan your moves with extra time in mind.

Typically there are only two real scenarios.

1. It's a close game and extra time makes everything very exciting because one or both teams are desperate to score.

2. It's not a close game and extra time is boring as fuck.

Not to derail the thread into video games talk, but that message at the start of Ethan Carter is such bullshit. I completely forgot that it was there until I saw it in the quick look just now.
I mean there's no arrow telling you where to go at all times, there's no annoying camera pan showing you the door you just unlocked or anything like that, but come on... The path is always obvious, the puzzles are stupid easy, and the story leaves very little open to interpretation. You can miss some parts of the narrative but all that does is it forces you to backtrack at the very end. You never actually have to use your brain in this game.

I really liked it, in the same way I liked Dear Esther, but these games are the definition of hand-holdy to me. I don't know why they felt the need to proudly claim that it is not.
Yep, the game making you backtrack to the stuff you missed after starting with that message is stupid. Should've just ended the first time you got to the end, maybe telling you what you'd missed (but maybe not even that).

I can't. 3/4 of the voters will have no interest in those games regardless of how good they might be.

With Evil Within being touted as a spiritual successor to RE4, i can't see how they don't at least give it a go. That Mikami pedigree earns it some looks. Just gotta hope it's good, because we could use more games like that.

Other than that, what else has a legit GOTY chance? Far Cry 4?

Google

With Evil Within being touted as a spiritual successor to RE4, i can't see how they don't at least give it a go. That Mikami pedigree earns it some looks. Just gotta hope it's good, because we could use more games like that.

Diablo 3

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Evil Within....man I don't know what to think about that. It just looks so obvious. Uhhh there is room with a bunch of blood and spikes and blades and chainsaws everywhere. Scaaaary.

I dunno, I like subtlety and that's not something Evil Within seems to have

daydream

Banned
I can see Alien or Evil within being a strong contender if they end up working out. Regardless, it feels like something different/unexpected actually has a chance this year, and that means that the GOTY discussions are gonna be fun.

I dunno, unexpected at the beginning of the year, sure. Now it seems an all too obvious choice for GB (which is fine, of course).

Tucah

you speak so well
Far Cry 4 definitely seems like the only competition for SoM so far. Maybe Sunset Overdrive if it's really great? I dunno. I guess Diablo 3 could count since Reaper of Souls came out this year.

daydream

Banned
Sounds like a fancy lad thing to me.

The kind of thing they might like in Europe, and other countries.

This reminds me, on the Bombcast, did Brad, Dan and Drew really think that there's left-hand traffic in all of Europe? I'll have to relisten to that part again because that's funny if so. UK weirdos giving us a bad rep. :p

Google

This reminds me, on the Bombcast, did Brad, Dan and Drew really think that there's left-hand traffic in all of Europe? I'll have to relisten to that part again because that's funny if so. UK weirdos giving us a bad rep. :p

Yeah, I laughed at that also. They seemed to think ALL of Europe is just the same as the UK and Ireland.

Aaron

Yeah, I laughed at that also. They seemed to think ALL of Europe is just the same as the UK and Ireland.
I found that assumption completely bizarre. I was always taught it was a UK and Japan thing. Not a Europe thing, which contains neither countries.

Scizzy

There will be no GOTY. The last podcast will just be Brad and Jeff arguing about whether there is anything more to Destiny than "left trigger, right trigger" while Dan randomly blurts out "Anime is for jerks," apropos of nothing. Patrick will be riffing about how, given the sorry state of the gaming community, there should obstensibly be no GOTY this year. Vinny will be saying gibberish and acting weird and it will come out later that the robot from Bot Colony has somehow downloaded into his brain. Everyone will ignore Alex's picks for no reason as usual. Then, after 17 hours, the podcast will be mysteriously end and we will all spend the next few weeks arguing whether Drew had left the room at any point or just knew to keep quiet.

At least, that's what I thought would happen, but the emergence of Shadows of Mordor as an acceptable candidate to both Dan and Brad makes the whole process more likely to be much, much smoother.

But naw, i don't care for football mainly because it's just barely better than baseball as far as entertainment goes. Love me some b-ball, though.

I can see Alien or Evil within being a strong contender if they end up working out. Regardless, it feels like something different/unexpected actually has a chance this year, and that means that the GOTY discussions are gonna be fun.

If you would've told me that Titanfall and Destiny had no chance at GOTY earlier this year i would've laughed. Now, it's so up in the air that it's great.

I wouldn't surprised if Brad clawed Destiny into the top 10 though, he was already lining up the positive arguments in the latest bombcast!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I felt much the same way. I liked the game, but I feel like the vision they initially had for it was maybe a little more free-form than what it ended up being, only they didn't remove that message at the start. All it means is that they don't actually explain any of the game's mechanics, which caused me to miss the "SHOW ME THE CRAAAAAANK!" mechanic until like 90 minutes in.

There will be no GOTY. The last podcast will just be Brad and Jeff arguing about whether there is anything more to Destiny than "left trigger, right trigger" while Dan randomly blurts out "Anime is for jerks," apropos of nothing. Patrick will be riffing about how, given the sorry state of the gaming community, there should obstensibly be no GOTY this year. Vinny will be saying gibberish and acting weird and it will come out later that the robot from Bot Colony has somehow downloaded into his brain. Everyone will ignore Alex's picks for no reason as usual. Then, after 17 hours, the podcast will be mysteriously end and we will all spend the next few weeks arguing whether Drew had left the room at any point or just knew to keep quiet.

At least, that's what I thought would happen, but the emergence of Shadows of Mordor as an acceptable candidate to both Dan and Brad makes the whole process more likely to be much, much smoother.

Holy crap. Tell me how I'm going to die please.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just finished Metal Gear Scanlon. That was awesome. Only played MGS Acid 2 and MGS4, so this answered quite a few questions. Can't wait for the next series!

I found that assumption completely bizarre. I was always taught it was a UK and Japan thing. Not a Europe thing, which contains neither countries.

Not sure if serious. Because just last night I was reading on this very forum that Iceland isn't in Europe either.

I want Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to win their Best Soundtrack category, but I'm not even sure if any of them played the game outside of the quicklook.

Curufinwe

Also an Australia and New Zealand thing. Sweden actually switched from left to right on September 3rd, 1967.

Hnightcombo.jpg

Top Bottom