• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

The Twin Snakes cutscenes and gameplay changes are bad enough (and the game, espeically the face animations are rougher than I remember), but it's the new VA that really rubs me the wrong one.
It just comes off as more stilted or bizarre.

MGS1 is more consistent and fittingly impressive for it's era.

Drew picked a good time to be away from F1,

Pretty bummed out today, and if there was a podcast it not like it would be a jokey one after the crash

:/

ST2K

The Twin Snakes cutscenes and gameplay changes are bad enough (and the game, espeically the face animations are rougher than I remember), but it's the new VA that really rubs me the wrong one.

Getting rid of Mei Ling and Naomi's accents was a welcome change. The other VA changes I don't really see as positive or negative, with the exception of Hayter's stuff, which I think just got progressively worse over the years.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Wow they really give away quite a lot in those mgs2 trailers.

jgminto

Getting rid of Mei Ling and Naomi's accents was a welcome change. The other VA changes I don't really see as positive or negative, with the exception of Hayter's stuff, which I think just got progressively worse over the years.

Naomi's accent was great.

I never get how people say that. MGS1's voice acting was great for the time but listening to it again in Metal Gear Scanlon, everyone speaks a million miles per hour. There's no gaps in between dialogue. It sounds so off and bar a few things, Twin Snakes voice acting sounds more real. It's most obvious with Raven who is supposed to talk slowly yet he's still just spitting lines out quick as a flash. The quick dialogue in MGS1 does makes the cutscenes quicker which is good I suppose though. I don't know why people ignore that yet act like an accent change (which was better for the most part concerning Mei Ling) is the worst thing ever.

Dansk

Neo Member
Yes, I am a bit behind on the bombcasts - I'm sorry! But this morning it actually made things more humorous when I heard Jeff say this on the 9/9/14 edition:

"You don't want to play Mario 3 while you're moving around a bunch, though. You want to be stationary playing that game."

This is about at the 2:22:15 mark in the non-subscriber version (I like their rendition of ads...) when they're talking about the Gameboy Micro. I doubt at the time anyone would have made much of such statement, especially in context, but now it seems like a subtle hint at the rollercoaster challenge (which I assume they filmed in August, based on the visit pass Jeff posted).

Myggen

Trying to watch the raw roller coaster footage while hungover was a bad idea. Think I'll have to give it a couple of hours.

edit: Didn't catch the stuff about Jules Bianchi before now. Fucking tragic.

popo

Sucks. I love a good crash but only if everyone walks away from it. It has been a long time since anyone was seriously injured.

Driving on the motorway in heavy rain is scary as hell, can't imagine what it is like in a F1 car.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what happened in F1? nasty crash or something?

what happened in F1? nasty crash or something?

The official word as it stands currently

BzLkRDXCcAAsVQ0.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mei Ling's accent came off as super racist, even though MGS 1 was made by Japanese people.
Well, she is supposed to be Chinese. So racism between Japanese/Chinese people isn't that farfetched.
She's Chinese American, so it makes no sense for her to have that accent unless she's a recent immigrant.

Which is why they got rid of the accent in MGS4, and I believe in Twin Snakes.

Either way, I'd blame the localization team more than anything else.

Myggen

She's Chinese American, so it makes no sense for her to have that accent unless she's a recent immigrant.

Which is why they got rid of the accent in MGS4, and I believe in Twin Snakes.

Either way, I'd blame the localization team more than anything else.

It's gone in Twin Snakes too, yeah. And you're right, it makes absolutely no sense for her character.

Nephrahim

A: She grew up in Chinatown so it's not impossible she would have that accent even though she's American.

B: The localisation team is the one who did it.

Anyway, so yeah, we got Dave to his Clint Eastwood voice through a process. And when we did Revolver Ocelot, it was Kris' husband I think, or ex-husband, if I'm not wrong. We arrived at that through a process. And when we decided that Mei Ling should have a Chinese accent, it wasn't because we mistakenly thought she was from China. We knew that she was raised in the US. But we said: problem is, she's got a young voice, and we've got these static visuals, she's going to sound a lot like Naomi, who sounds a lot like this, who sounds... You know, we need some different kind of feature to make her voice stand out.

My assumption was that her parents were Chinese, and so she would have picked some form of accent from them?

Well, now, I don't actually agree with that. I think it's true, she wouldn't have had a Chinese accent. It was just something we decided to do. You make a lot of decisions, and you only have one shot at it, and that's ultimately how you have to judge a translation, and a voice recording. You're given one shot, it's not like you have a two year development schedule and you can go back and fix things. You have one shot at it.

suzu

A: She grew up in Chinatown so it's not impossible she would have that accent even though she's American.

Ehhh, it's very unlikely. I don't know any American born and raised Chinese person that speaks with a Chinese accent. Even the ones that lived in Chinatowns raised by immigrant parents.

It was always jarring to me when I played the earlier games. So I was glad when they changed it to an American accent.
I am Chinese-American. lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hell, if you've emigrated at a young age (say... pre-teen, possibly older) and attend public functions you'll definitely pick up on the country's accent.

Jintor

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say just because they're native-born means they can't have an accent, but Mei Ling's was pretty strong

But... hey, it's Metal Gear

hitgirl

Man! F1 race weekends I don't read any of my racing blogs or website to avoid the race spoilers. Now F1 spoilers is leaking into Giantbomb, If you told me Giantbomb would be a place for F1 updates a few years ago I'd laugh :p.

Kazzy

It's true that a lot of people aren't nearly as smart as they think they are, since they're so used to being able to Google something instantly (I know I do all the time) but Dan REVELS in it.

If anything, it's that astuteness abouthis lack of knowledge, that raises him above the norm. A lot of instances of his 'Dan' moments are simply through him being insanely stubborn, anyway.

Except the egg whites thing - now that will go down in infamy!

Haunted

Man! F1 race weekends I don't read any of my racing blogs or website to avoid the race spoilers. Now F1 spoilers is leaking into Giantbomb, If you told me Giantbomb would be a place for F1 updates a few years ago I'd laugh :p.
ibQrjanSQnJHw.gif

Giantbomb.com

It's a website.

About Formula 1.
and anime

I felt really weird watching those Twin Snakes cinematics and thinking how awesome they were when the guys were talking shit on them.

I'm usually not the person to enjoy cheese, but I think those scenes really enhance the goofy greatness of Metal Gear Solid.

I felt the same way when Brad spoke about how MGS2 was when the series fell off the deep end. Having just watched a MGS playthrough the series has clearly always been anime as shit.

Nice... I get f1 spoilers in the GB thread too now.

This happens with sporting events when you don't watch them live.

I felt the same way when Brad spoke about how MGS2 was when the series fell off the deep end. Having just watched a MGS playthrough the series has clearly always been anime as shit.
These two ideas aren't contradictory. MGS2 takes the series down a whole different hole.

Nice... I get f1 spoilers in the GB thread too now.

In any other case I would not talk about "spoilers" to an event, in this case (seeing as someone in now in hospital with a chance of dying), I would happily tell you I do not give a fuck about your insignificant little problems

daydream

Banned
This GB uncut video of the roller coaster feature is fascinating. Always loved the behind the scenes content.

Yeah, I love it. There's also one or two bits that didn't make it into the main video that cracked me up, e.g. the Toad house narrative ("line up the star and you win!")
so obvious that Jeff would fail it once he got it, lol
, Jeff laughing when Dan comes back from his "victory lap".

Also, I noticed that - unless I missed something - the only positive thing out of Jeff's mouth regarding his progress is at the very beginning when he says "I'm super now." (which in and of itself I find hilarious). Everything after that was downhill, lol.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
In any other case I would not talk about "spoilers" to an event, in this case (seeing as someone in now in hospital with a chance of dying), I would happily tell you I do not give a fuck about your insignificant little problems

Seriously guys. That's pretty fucked up.

Top Bottom