• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Novoitus

Banned
I have a date tonight, and the girl is taking me to a Mexican place. She's convinced she's gonna get me to try sour cream for the first time, but I told her that I need to save something that momentous for Giant Bomb content.

when you do try it, put it on pizza.

Tucah

you speak so well
like on normal cheese and sauce pizza? i love both pizza and sour cream but that sound really unappealing.

Would love it if the end premium "lets play through this game but not call it a endurance run" series would involve Jeff.

Dude has played basically every game ever so I am sure it would be tricky.

I think he mentioned he only played disc 1 of FFVII. I would watch him complete it.

Oh and I am with Jeff regarding MGS3. The camo system is dumb and I dont really care about the Big Boss timeline. Its also super dumb that they basically added Otacon to that timeline in peace walker.

Also if we want to get into MGS problems it seems that every single portable game involving BB since MGS3 has had all the important metal gear timeline stuff happen before or after the game.

The rift between Zero and BB happens before peace walker and is never explained. The cloning happens before peace walker (or might be retconned to be after GZ. We will see)
Every single game happens with the whole "call be Big Boss... oh and THIS IS OUTER HEAVEN" line at some point then in the next game he his being called Snake again and Outer Heaven still doesnt exist.

Metal Gear needs to break off from the Solid/Big Boss arch and start fresh. A reboot. A complete spin off. My ideal idea would be that MGSV is the game that does that. You could have 2 endings. One where the known MGS time time happens and a second timeline where Big Boss is successful with the whole outer heaven thing. Can kill zero. Somehow recruit or kill Solid Snake and everything after the 1th MSX game is basically its own separate timeline and they JJ Abrams Star Trek it. The next game would be where you play as Liquid fighting the mercenary king Big Boss and a corrupted Solid Snake or something dumb.

Zaph

goddamn, ShootMania was a weird game. this TNT is insanity.
It bums me out that Nadeo never completed their Mania vision with Questmania (well, they still might as it's apparently still in development, but...yeah). I imagine an easy to use multiplayer RPG engine and toolset could have spawned some incredible creations. People could bring DnD style board games, and god knows what else, to life with ease if the scripting tools were up to snuff.

Would love it if the end premium "lets play through this game but not call it a endurance run" series would involve Jeff.

Dude has played basically every game ever so I am sure it would be tricky.

This is patently false, even for an intentionally hyperbolic statement. Don't take this as a criticism of any of the crew, but I'm always surprised by how big of knowledge gap game journos have in general -- Jeff included.

Now Jeff is better than most, for sure, but he has a ton of blind spots too.

Maybe it's just because I've always been super passionate about games -- I even wanted to be a game journo for a while, before I realised that the odds were low, the pay was poor-to-mediocre, and the rent in Cali is horrendous -- but I find myself constantly knowing more than most journos. Heck, you don't have to have played everything, but to not at least know the general concept of some big titles?

For instance, during Demo Derby Dan acted like Omega Boost was this super-small, obscure game that he only heard about because he worked at (Funcoland? I think?) That game had full-page ads in most gaming magazines and had a decent-sized TV commercial budget. It was supposed to be Sony's next big thing.

Just odd, to me. Again, not screaming with my hair on fire here. It's just something I notice a lot.

Still love them! <3

It bums me out that Nadeo never completed their Mania vision with Questmania (well, they still might as it's apparently still in development, but...yeah). I imagine that an easy to use multiplayer RPG engine and toolset could have spawned some incredible creations. People could bring DnD style board games, and god knows what else, to life with ease if the scripting toolset was up to snuff.

My hope for Questmania (if it ever releases) is that the toolset would become like Warcraft 3 custom games and spawn a ton of insane and fun things to play. Warcraft 3 had so many great TDs, RPGs, Arenas, Dota-clones, etc. to play. Starcraft 2 for whatever reason never really took off like Warcraft 3 did in regards to custom games. If Questmania could become a platform for that it could be phenomenal.

sixghost

My hope for Questmania (if it ever releases) is that the toolset would become like Warcraft 3 custom games and spawn a ton of insane and fun things to play. Warcraft 3 had so many great TDs, RPGs, Arenas, Dota-clones, etc. to play. Starcraft 2 for whatever reason never really took off like Warcraft 3 did in regards to custom games. If Questmania could become a platform for that it could be phenomenal.

All signs point to Dota 2 filling that void pretty soon. They've slowly been adding support for custom games over the last 6 months.

Fox318

I have a date tonight, and the girl is taking me to a Mexican place. She's convinced she's gonna get me to try sour cream for the first time, but I told her that I need to save something that momentous for Giant Bomb content.

No real Giantbomb fan would want to ruin a nice date

Nephrahim

All signs point to Dota 2 filling that void pretty soon. They've slowly been adding support for custom games over the last 6 months.

I don't know about ALL signs (I'm not sure if they'll ever be a custom game scene like War 3 had) but the Dota 2 tools they're releasing could be really cool.

sc2 never took off with it because blizzard did everything it could to make sure it couldnt

This is patently false, even for an intentionally hyperbolic statement. Don't take this as a criticism of any of the crew, but I'm always surprised by how big of knowledge gap game journos have in general -- Jeff included.

Now Jeff is better than most, for sure, but he has a ton of blind spots too.

Maybe it's just because I've always been super passionate about games -- I even wanted to be a game journo for a while, before I realised that the odds were low, the pay was poor-to-mediocre, and the rent in Cali is horrendous -- but I find myself constantly knowing more than most journos. Heck, you don't have to have played everything, but to not at least know the general concept of some big titles?

For instance, during Demo Derby Dan acted like Omega Boost was this super-small, obscure game that he only heard about because he worked at (Funcoland? I think?) That game had full-page ads in most gaming magazines and had a decent-sized TV commercial budget. It was supposed to be Sony's next big thing.

Just odd, to me. Again, not screaming with my hair on fire here. It's just something I notice a lot.

Still love them! <3

Well, many people here have been surprised by Jeff knowledge... So dunno what standard do you have...

Xyber

I don't know about ALL signs (I'm not sure if they'll ever be a custom game scene like War 3 had) but the Dota 2 tools they're releasing could be really cool.

No really, all signs point towards that filling the void (if it ever reaches WC3 popularity only time will tell). Valve just need to fix the performance problems when you spawn a lot creeps and there will be so many old classics up and running.

There's already plenty of cool custom games available on the workshop now and from what I've seen they can do pretty much everything WC3 allowed modders to do.

santeesioux

What did he say?

Giant Bomb Pax Panel: "Most people that identify as their hobby [gamers] are assholes. 'Hey let's go be gamers' -- I never wanted to be that. People out there that identify as that, grow up."

They want to go after the Giantbomb advertisers.

Well, many people here have been surprised by Jeff knowledge... So dunno what standard do you have...

I'm not saying Jeff doesn't meet a certain "standard." I'm simply saying that I'm sometimes surprised at various large gaps in their knowledge.

Oh, and when someone is a journo yet doesn't own a major system. If it's a tax write-off and you can better inform yourself, there's really no reason not to own every major system.

Just my 2c though.

Giant Bomb Pax Panel: "Most people that identify as their hobby [gamers] are assholes. 'Hey let's go be gamers' -- I never wanted to be that. People out there that identify as that, grow up."

They want to go after the Giantbomb advertisers.

Well, probably a little more difficult since GB has no Leigh of their own (as a bad writer that is extremely confrontational to the point of get thrown of podcasts).

I seriously doubt many people know what omega boost is.

Yep. I lived through the PS1 era and even I don't remember that game. It's a sleeper hit for a reason.

Most people aren't gaming journalists.

Again, I'm not saying they aren't "good enough" for the job or whatever. I'm just saying that it's surprising to me when someone who (presumably) is passionate enough about games to pursue a career in covering them missed a large amount about them over the years. Was I the only one who read multiple gaming mags cover to cover each month etc.?

Maybe I'm just crazy!

hamchan

If these GamerGate people really are fighting corruption or whatever it seems a bit stupid to go after the man who got fired for not bending over for advertisers.

If Jeff's to do that, the Japanese PC threads lately have me wondering if he's got some of that he's bought but doesn't know that much about/played he could do something with. Some real Falcom ish.

I'm not saying Jeff doesn't meet a certain "standard." I'm simply saying that I'm sometimes surprised at various large gaps in their knowledge.

Oh, and when someone is a journo yet doesn't own a major system. If it's a tax write-off and you can better inform yourself, there's really no reason not to own every major system.

Just my 2c though.

Chalk it up: with this, that word is dead to anyone respectable. The fallout begins, and it will be interesting, indeed...

If these GamerGate people really are fighting corruption or whatever it seems a bit stupid to go after the man who got fired for not bending over for advertisers.

Of course they are not fighting corruption. And let's leave it at that. That GG thread is painful at 'both sides' being honest.

Of course they are not fighting corruption. And let's leave it at that. That GG thread is painful at 'both sides' being honest.

I used to be frustrated by it, but I find it funny now. Both sides have some things they could make into legitimate arguments, but they're so busy trying to discredit and name-call the other side that it's like watching two squadrons of stormtroopers shooting it out: a lot of shots fired, but they all miss the mark. XD

People have been asking the past few months why the GB guys have been mostly quiet on gg everything except for passing comments, some reserved, a few like the one mentioned.

Always thought it'd take some sort of Pearl Harbor type direct attack to unleash a nuclear response. Next couple days will prove interesting if those folks are even contemplating kicking the GB hornet nest.

santeesioux

I used to be frustrated by it, but I find it funny now. Both sides have some things they could make into legitimate arguments, but they're so busy trying to discredit and name-call the other side that it's like watching two squadrons of stormtroopers shooting it out: a lot of shots fired, but they all miss the mark. XD

I just get a real kick out of reading both sides, it's great fun.

People have been asking the past few months why the GB guys have been mostly quiet on gg everything except for passing comments, some reserved, a few like the one mentioned.

Always thought it'd take some sort of Pearl Harbor type direct attack to unleash a nuclear response. Next couple days will prove interesting if those folks are even contemplating kicking the GB hornet nest.

They probably don't say anything because of exactly the reaction that video got.

I doubt it will be organized at all, it's just mainly people angry at Greg, Pat, and Alex, and like one or two guys talking about the advertisers.

Top Bottom