• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

daydream

Banned
I recall the "gaming community" going all up in arms about an article comparing this one scene to rape. They were scared that developers would start "censoring" their games and whatnot. And from then on, we started seeing so much more discussion about the depiction of women in video games. It just kept on snowballing.

Has nothing to do with GG. The bolded part started way, way earlier.

steves wishlist for today

live alien isolation quick look

anyone can drive but i want rorie in it

Our wishlists are identical.

Tucah

you speak so well
Was Sentris that circle music game that looked about as user friendly as a bag of rusty nails?

Because I think its OK to let Brad slide with that one.

It was, and I agree - the comment by Samantha was made saying that she added a tutorial to the game because she assumed people could fool around and figure out what was going on but people ("even Brad!") - still had trouble with the game.

I just thought the comment was funny though, :D!

Mully

I've always looked upon MGS with disgust. The controls and UI make things more difficult than they should be. I'm glad Dear Leader Drew sacrificed himself to allow thousands to see how shitty MGS is.

ultron87

I recall the "gaming community" going all up in arms about an article comparing this one scene to rape. They were scared that developers would start "censoring" their games and whatnot. And from then on, we started seeing so much more discussion about the depiction of women in video games. It just kept on snowballing.

It goes back way further than that. The Tropes vs Women Kickstarter back in 2012 was certainly a huge touch point for that conversation, but there were certainly articles regarding such issues before that.

Zocano

I played through MGS2 last week after Metal Gear Scanlon ended. It wasn't quite as good as I remember, but it's still amazing what they were able to pull off at the time. Admittedly, I didn't pay much attention to the cutscenes since I'll be watching those when MGScanlon season 2 drops.

After that, I started 3 almost immediately and I just don't get it. So many people on GAF say this one is the best, but it just doesn't seem fun to me. It's almost like we're playing a completely different game. The game's reliance On the player going into the Start menu to make adjustments is annoying, and the whole dpad to sneak thing seems superfluous. If I didn't look it up online, I never would've found it out. I'm not going to lie, I'm not the best MGS player, but most of my detections in 3 come out of me being frustrated with the mechanics of how the system works.

I feel like Jeff and I are the same person as far as MGS opinions go.

Even having played through MGS3 twice, MGS1 twice, and MGS4 several times, I feel like the controls are just too "stiff" for me to enjoy it.

I'm going through MGS2 again, I only played through it once and didn't really like it.

The MGS controls have always felt clunky to me, even having played it plenty of times. I know how to control it well now, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it stills feels clunky and I'd rather play better stealth games.

And the stories I have never been able to take seriously. They're goofy and popcorn flick enjoyable, but I'll never think they're great or enthralling.

Rising is still the best Metal Gear game.

TylerD

already missing Metal Gear Scanlon. It's making me want to drag out my copy of MGS2, it's been years since I've played it.

Hoping for a gigantic "Drew visits Another Communist Country" debriefing, with pictures and video. Will make for a great time, Comrades!

I powered through MGS last Friday night and am going to be playing MGS2 substance and MGS3 subsistence on my PS2 in the next couple of weeks. Most of my deaths came in the lava room as I failed to sidle effectively with the stick and boiled Snake 5 times.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
After that, I started 3 almost immediately and I just don't get it. So many people on GAF say this one is the best, but it just doesn't seem fun to me. It's almost like we're playing a completely different game. The game's reliance On the player going into the Start menu to make adjustments is annoying, and the whole dpad to sneak thing seems superfluous. If I didn't look it up online, I never would've found it out. I'm not going to lie, I'm not the best MGS player, but most of my detections in 3 come out of me being frustrated with the mechanics of how the system works.

I've said this before but I felt exactly the same for a couple of hours into the game before completely changing my opinion on it. If you're much further than that and still don't like it well, maybe it's not gonna grab you.

As for the dpad thing, well, this is the first I heard of it. Shit.

I've always looked upon MGS with disgust. The controls and UI make things more difficult than they should be. I'm glad Dear Leader Drew sacrificed himself to allow thousands to see how shitty MGS is.

jSYt9oX.png

Even having played through MGS3 twice, MGS1 twice, and MGS4 several times, I feel like the controls are just too "stiff" for me to enjoy it.

I'm going through MGS2 again, I only played through it once and didn't really like it.

The MGS controls have always felt clunky to me, even having played it plenty of times. I know how to control it well now, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it stills feels clunky and I'd rather play better stealth games.

And the stories I have never been able to take seriously. They're goofy and popcorn flick enjoyable, but I'll never think they're great or enthralling.

Rising is still the best Metal Gear game.

Yeah, that is a series constant. I think they did a better job with 4. Although it may be the most convoluted control scheme to ever exist, it actually felt good for the most part and actually felt like you were controlling a game instead of a remote control robot. In b4 MkII.

steves wishlist for today

live alien isolation quick look

anyone can drive but i want rorie in it

When is the Alien: Isolation QL? I don't see anything scheduled... unless it's the upcoming Spookin'.

NinjaEdit: Gawdam, I clicked on that Twitter link and now Twitter is asking me to sign up so it can give me updates from Ryan Davis. I didn't think such a thing would bother me, but it does.

Zaph

What the fuck? Twin Peaks is coming back?! How did I miss this?

Going to rewatch Blue Velvet tonight in its honour.

anbg1pr.gif

Breathe in that Lynch fix. And some Laura Dern too

Patryn

Twin Peaks is like Deadly Premonition, right?

It has a similar vibe. In fact, it was changed because at one point it was too close.

But DP gets a bit crazier towards the end. Twin Peaks is like DP crossed with Alan Wake. Maybe a little closer to DP.

And the soundtrack for DP was definitely influenced by Twin Peaks.

popo

Well I guess potentially it could be just for ComicVine, Alex just mentioned he was going to NYCC with Tony, but yeah that should be interesting.

I imagine Tony needed a camera guy. Since there was a already a pro employed in NY, it would be cheaper than flying one out.

Tucah

you speak so well
HOLY SHIT TWIN PEAKS IS COMING BACK?! Is David Lynch involved? IS KYLE MACLACHLAN RETURNING?! I love Twin Peaks so much.

9 episodes, Showtime, 2016, Frost/Lynch writing them all, Lynch directing them all is all that is known.

I'd be shocked if MacLachlan didn't return.

Top Bottom