• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

ST2K

the weird, vaguely self-hating "who cares, they'll buy it anyway, everyone's just pretending to be mad" reactions to companies being shitty always confuses me so much.

If everyone's going to buy it anyway and everyone always buys stuff after the outrage, why not say that? It's pointing out the obvious and a solution for people to actually make change occur.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wish this was true. Out of curiosity, what are you basing it on?

Facebook 'gamer' groups that are more about just making multiplayer friends where they only talk about the big releases around my area, relatives, co-workers, and two years ago when I worked part-time at a Gamestop and a Target Electronics. And the most recent example, I think Watch Dogs did a lot more long-term damage for the future of AC and AC like games even if it initially sold well. That argument never works because of course people aren't going to turn on it as soon as the game's out. Watch the sequels.

the weird, vaguely self-hating "who cares, they'll buy it anyway, everyone's just pretending to be mad" reactions to companies being shitty always confuses me so much.

Now, dont get me wrong. People are getting legit upset. the problem is, when the impressions and reviews come out, when their friends buy the game, when they all look at their friend list and see that almost everyone is playing the game...do those people still remember being mad in October, or do they buy the game because it might, you know, still be fun and look fine and the fear of missing out sets in??

I've been on gaf for 7-8 years and been gaming my whole life, and almost always they end up buying the game. I can't think of a fiasco over a big AAA game that got people to stop buying millions of copies of it.

Me? I'm so tired of the AC games and thought that AC4 was pure burning garbage when it came to its design that i'll pass. but the people who are arguing that Ubisoft is some sort of new age digital content fascists for this are being a bit much, and odds are they're going to buckle anyhow.

daydream

Banned
I was super ready to play MGS alongside Drew but Sony's backwards ass PSN policies took the wind right out of my sails. It's available on the US Vita store, right? No need for a PS3 transfer (because I read a post alluding to something like this recently)?

Myggen

To me Twin Peaks is a show that in general hasn't held up that well. It's one of the most important TV shows in the history of the medium, but the show itself never really held up for me after all these years. That goes for the part of the show that a lot of people still consider to be good, and especially for the part that even at the time was considered a lot worse than the rest (people who have seen the show knows what I'm talking about). Overall I think it's pretty mediocre if you look at today, even if it is really important and all that.

Still, will be interesting to see what Frost/Lynch can do with it all these years later, especially since it's been so long since any of them have made anything I've cared about. That it's on a premium cable channel makes it extra interesting, Lynch could get really old school with it if he wants to.

I was super ready to play MGS alongside Drew but Sony's backwards ass PSN policies took the wind right out of my sails. It's available on the US Vita store, right? No need for a PS3 transfer (because I read a post alluding to something like this recently)?

You should just play the german version :D

Bacon

To me Twin Peaks is a show that in general hasn't held up that well. It's one of the most important TV shows in the history of the medium, but the show itself never really held up for me after all these years. That goes for the part of the show that a lot of people still consider to be good, and especially for the part that even at the time was considered a lot worse than the rest (people who have seen the show knows what I'm talking about). Overall I think it's pretty mediocre if you look at today, even if it is really important and all that.

Still, will be interesting to see what Frost/Lynch can do with it all these years later, especially since it's been so long since any of them have made anything I've cared about. That it's on a premium cable channel makes it extra interesting, Lynch could get really old school with it if he wants to.

Agreed, tried to go back to it last year and it did not hold up for me, someone who doesn't have any nostalgia for it. It strangely made me appreciate Deadly Premonition even more though.

Time for them to write a PS1 emulator for the PS4. How hard can it possibly be?

if they got it working just fine on Vita, I can't imagine the answer is "very."

I'd love to have one less reason to use my ps3.

Yeah, up until a few months ago it had to be transferred but it now seems to be able to be installed to vita directly

edit: whoops, apparently the store still lists it as ps3/psp only?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Counter-point. I watched Twin Peaks about three years ago for the first time ever, and I loved it to death. And it's way better than Deadly Premonition, which the only saving grace of was that it was ripping off something beloved.

And I'm incredibly skeptical about a new season.

sixghost

Now, dont get me wrong. People are getting legit upset. the problem is, when the impressions and reviews come out, when their friends buy the game, when they all look at their friend list and see that almost everyone is playing the game...do those people still remember being mad in October, or do they buy the game because it might, you know, still be fun and look fine and the fear of missing out sets in??

I've been on gaf for 7-8 years and been gaming my whole life, and almost always they end up buying the game. I can't think of a fiasco over a big AAA game that got people to stop buying millions of copies of it.

Me? I'm so tired of the AC games and thought that AC4 was pure burning garbage when it came to its design that i'll pass. but the people who are arguing that Ubisoft is some sort of new age digital content fascists for this are being a bit much, and odds are they're going to buckle anyhow.
The Xbox One is probably the biggest recent example of outrage actually leading to a product underperforming. I guess you argue how much of that was attributable to their endless string of fuck ups pre and post-E3 and how much was the console being more expensive and less powerful, but that thing carried a stigma before the consoles launched, both on GAF and among less hardcore people.

RE_Player

Counter-point. I watched Twin Peaks about three years ago for the first time ever, and I loved it to death. And it's way better than Deadly Premonition, which the only saving grace of was that it was ripping off something beloved.

I feel the same way.

cQiMWab.png

So excited.

The Xbox One is probably the biggest recent example of outrage actually leading to a product underperforming. I guess you argue how much of that was attributable to their endless string of fuck ups pre and post-E3 and how much was the console being more expensive and less powerful, but that thing carried a stigma before the consoles launched, both on GAF and among less hardcore people.

Yeah, it was surprising finding out about how much the outrage spread, even beyond the less enthusiast crowds. My brother, who is very casual and loved his 360, suddenly started talking to me about how he was going PS4 because "I've heard that new Xbox is really bad." Very anecdotal, but Microsoft screwed the pooch massively with their early marketing. DRM was (imo) the biggest social issue in gaming at that time and they quickly became public enemy #1 when they had so many problems right out of the gate. Sony also managed to capitalize on their fumble brilliantly.

I feel the same way.

I don't think the show is going to be like first seasons (how could? Even Lynch is not the same). But I think that at least could be something pretty good in its own way given Lynch heavy involvement.

And even with all of that, I think there's still a strong argument to be had about whether that was really the major reason it fell behind or if it was launching at $100 more than the PS4 with a camera that no one wanted being the main culprit. We'll never know, of course, but I wonder if they're not pretty much neck and neck in NA if MS had sold a $400 kinect-less machine from day one.

Again, people here are going to howl and shout and shit all over Ubisoft, and then AC: Unity will launch at the top of the NPDs for November and everyone will shrug. I'm more than willing to bet that the PS4 version still easily outsells the XB1 version, too. The only thing that will slow the series down is general apathy from the gaming public at large, which consists of a huge portion of gamers who just want to play the game and where resolution doesn't really matter so long as it looks good.

Myggen

Money well spent.

I am serious.

I know an alarming number of people who has spent more than that on a single sporting event, often football trips to England. If it's something you love, it's money well spent. Didn't Dan say that he'll go to every Wrestlemania for the rest of his life? :p

edit: Also, I'm cynical enough to not believe that the Assassin's Creed stuff will have much of an impact on sales. Only a tiny fraction of the people who buy these games will even know about this (or know what it means, really).

Mario Party 2 has been delivered. It's all up to Dan now

mrqZTLb.png

d9b9wK2.jpg

I knew you were not really from Scotland.

The Scottish people can see value and THIS is value for money!

I know an alarming number of people who has spent more than that on a single sporting event, often football trips to England. If it's something you love, it's money well spent. Didn't Dan say that he'll go to every Wrestlemania for the rest of his life? :p

One of my friends spent £500 to get into the Men's 4 x 100m Medley Relay Final at the Commonwealth games.

Top Bottom