• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb X | Built-In Automatic Death Thing For Secret People

Megasoum

Banned
Oh man, haha.

I'm on the fence about Driveclub personally. It looks fantastic visually, but all the social stuff they've talked about just seems like hyping stuff that other games have done before ("fancy leaderboards", like I think Jeff called it). The development history of that game has also not left me with much confidence. Looking forward to the QL tomorrow.

Yeah... I'm really happy that we're getting a PS+ version. This will most likely more than enough for me.

Jokab

RlhZiaB.jpg

YES. Thank you so much, Conner.

Yes yes yes yes yes!

Seventy70

The Driveclub thread seems to be full of that stuff. If you go in there and say something even slightly critical about it you get a bunch of "ARE U CONCERNED!!??!?" responses. The OT is meant for discussion of the game whether it is good or bad.

Myggen

XPeJokF.jpg

danny o'firehimrightnow

If someone has time, we should make a sep thread and highlight what just happened. I'm sorry but for a website that is dedicated to video games we might have just gotten a taste of what really goes on over there. How can they be so misinformed and then have the balls to go live. The guy on the right seemed like he could give two shits and even joked saying look how professional they are.

#driveclubgate #gamesjournalism #fireodwyer

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This is a bit OT but that picture of Danny just triggered some serious Deja Vu for me. Like seriously, for like 5 minutes I was convinced I read your comments before. I love that stuff.

Aaron

lol at all the Driveclub fanboys bashing Danny and Andy in the Driveclub OT.
I doubt any of them were one of the fifty like me actually watching the stream. They complimented Driveclub a whole bunch. They just weren't sure if there was enough content to justify the price, which Horizon 2 has in spades.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's what happens when a site like Gamespot does videos like Giant Bomb. Their viewers want bundled information. How dare they just fuck around with a game for a while?

Tucah

you speak so well
Jesus Christ at this Danny stuff. I didn't see all of the stream it seemed perfectly fine.

FH2 looks like the better driving game anyway

Myggen

That dynamic weather is being patched into the game post release is another reason for thinking the game is coming in a bit hot, even though that has been known for some time now. The PS+ offering will be great for this game.

That's what happens when a site like Gamespot does videos like Giant Bomb. Their viewers want bundled information. How dare they just fuck around with a game for a while?

Pretty much. Have to stay on message!

That dynamic weather is being patched into the game post release is another reason for thinking the game is coming in a bit hot, even though that has been known for some time now. The PS+ offering will be great for this game.

Yeah, I am actually pretty excited to at least check out the game for free. It's too bad that the PS+ Edition isn't out at midnight alongside the actual game. (At least I think that is the case, not sure on that.)

Volotaire

I wonder how Project CARS will fare. I noticed Brad and the others missed the title in the Bombcast whilst talking about car game releases this Autumn.

I actually thought it was quite fun in the beta

The core of the game seems very interesting but the dull story and handling of the cars really rustled my jimmies. The Always online part and crashing didn't help either but it is good they pushed the game back to fix stuff.

Yeah, I am actually pretty excited to at least check out the game for free. It's too bad that the PS+ Edition isn't out at midnight alongside the actual game. (At least I think that is the case, not sure on that.)

The PS+ edition for NA will come out when the store updates tomorrow. Retail release for EU is Friday so it is good that we get the PS+ version on Wednesday. I will be picking it up anyway but i can't stop playing Mordor (._. ) I am 25hrs in that game.

The core of the game seems very interesting but the dull story and handling of the cars really rustled my jimmies. The Always online part and crashing didn't help either but it is good they pushed the game back to fix stuff.

The PS+ edition for NA will come out when the store updates tomorrow. Retail release for EU is Friday so it is good that we get the PS+ version on Wednesday. I will be picking it up anyway but i can't stop playing Mordor (._. ) I am 25hrs in that game.

I'm glad that at least the Store has been updating earlier lately than it used to, some of those PS3 store updates were rough.

The period of time between when press gets their hands on a game and the release date is always unbearable on GAF. Big site said a bad thing about the game? Looks like that publisher check didn't clear, am I right? Small site said a bad thing about the game? Lol just clickbait from a small site, wait for the big boys, you'll see. Everyone said a bad thing about a game? Reviews are all bullshit anyway, I know this game I haven't played is objectively great.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
lol at all the Driveclub fanboys bashing Danny and Andy in the Driveclub OT.

Pretty much. Have to stay on message!

Wait, seriously? The dynamic weather that everybody was bitching about being so much better than 60FPS isn't even in the game? That's fucking hilarious.

Myggen

Wait, seriously? The dynamic weather that everybody was bitching about being so much better than 60FPS isn't even in the game? That's fucking hilarious.

Snow and rain is being patched in. Sun and clouds are in the release :p

Burnout Paradise is the best, and I usually dislike openworld games. It's too bad Criterion was relegated to making NFS into a watered-down version of BP and then gutted like a fish.

Yup. Even older Burnout games still look good in motion because of the immense sense of speed, and 60 fps is a huge part of that. What happened to Criterion is just a huge bummer. They always pushed the tech to its extreme on consoles, and made some absolutely stunning racing games. And then EA happened :(

It is, and yeah, that fucking sucks for racing games. RIP Burnout :(

I still find the Insomniacs response to frame rate fucking mind blowing.

However, during development, there are hard choices to be made between higher quality graphics and framerate. And we want to make the right choices that reflect our commitment to providing you with the best looking games out there. To that end, our community team did some research into the question of framerate. The results perhaps confirmed what I’ve known for a long time, but found it difficult to accept without evidence. They found that:

A higher framerate does not significantly affect sales of a game.
A higher framerate does not significantly affect the reviews of a game.

And in particular they found that there was a clear correlation between graphics scores in reviews (where they are provided) and the final scores. And they found no such correlation between framerate and the graphics scores nor the final scores. As an interesting side-note, our team also found no direct correlation between gameplay scores and final scores, however it does appear that gameplay scores are also influenced by graphics scores. i.e. Better looking games appear to be more “fun” to reviewers, in general.

Framerate is important, but not critically so. When there is a clear choice between framerate and improved graphics, graphics should win. The correlation with review scores is clear.

There is virtually no advantage in sales or reviews of a 60 fps game versus a 30 fps game.

Only a minority of players notice framerate as a significant issue of any kind.

Framerate should be as consistent as possible and should never interfere with the game. However, a drop in framerate is interestingly seen by some players as a reward for creating or forcing a complex setup in which a lot of things must happen on the screen at once. As in, “Damn! Did you see that? That was crazy!”

A solid framerate is still a sign of professional, well-made product. When there is a trade-off for framerate, it needs to be clearly worth it. i.e. It must introduce clear improvements on what the player sees, and never used as an excuse to not optimize the game or art.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They should just call a livestream like this "Discovering Game Name" or something, so people don't get pissed that they don't know everything, because they inevitably attract all the heavily invested players.
This happened to GB a couple of times, too. I remember them streaming Super Street Fighter Arcade Edition or something and people asked them about faster start-up on moves and changed hitboxes. It was sad.

Xyber

Unfortunately better graphics is more important to most people.

That's really the main reason why I changed to PC 4 years back. I have all the frames I want (driving games at 120FPS is the best, fuck 30FPS) and still get better looking games.

Unfortunately better graphics is more important to most people.

That's really the main reason why I changed to PC 4 years back. I have all the frames I want (driving games at 120FPS is the best, fuck 30FPS) and still get better looking games.

Same. I built a gaming PC 5 years ago to supplement my consoles, quickly realized how much a preferred it in every way, never looked back.

Zaph

I wish Burnout Paradise supported 120hz. The 60 hard cap is lame :(

Myggen

Yeah. They're probably right in a very narrow business sense, but that's just a depressing way of looking at game development. Like, focus testing out the ass.

And isn't CoD a good example of 60 fps being important in some kind of games? When people say that they like how CoD plays, the game running at 60 fps is such a huge part of that even if most people probably don't know that. Try pushing a main CoD game back to 30 and see how Joe Gamestop reacts.

Ah well, I know I'm fighting a losing battle here. You can't really market 60 fps, but you can market graphics. You need devs who really care about the framerate for that stuff to get pushed, Criterion was maybe the best example of that...but yeah, EA happened.

Megasoum

Banned
Does Gamespot have a "Managed Livestream" URL I can go to to find their last live show (Driveclub)?
Check the Twitch archive

Yeah. They're probably right in a very narrow business sense, but that's just a depressing way of looking at game development. Like, focus testing out the ass.

And isn't CoD a good example of 60 fps being important in some kind of games? When people say that they like how CoD plays, the game running at 60 fps is such a huge part of that even if most people probably don't know that. Try pushing a main CoD game back to 30 and see how Joe Gamestop reacts.

Ah well, I know I'm fighting a losing battle here. You can't really market 60 fps, but you can market graphics. You need devs who really care about the framerate for that stuff to get pushed, Criterion was maybe the best example of that...but yeah, EA happened.

It's funny considering that Fuse was pretty much destroyed by focus group testing.

Gamespot did a stream of DC, Danny and Andy actually said they really like the driving but weren't sure how thin the game was content wise and wrapped up by saying that if Horizon 2 was on PS4 that people would probably get that instead. As you can imagine people who are heavily invested in DC didn't take too kindly to that last sentiment.

I hate this dumb pre-release hype culture.

To a certain degree i think Kojima/Naughty Dog can push the argument about 60fps in both Gameplay and cutscenes. It will be interesting to see if they do it though.

Top Bottom