• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Kacar

I'm only 4 hours in but I have to say the story seems pointless and lacks direction to me, I mean the places your visit and the art direction is beautiful but the story is severely lacking for me, a whole entire epic adventure for kratos to stop having painful visions?

Holy shit I refuse to believe SSM actually playtested the trials. This is close to game ruining shit.

Looking at your avatar I would rate it right below Revengance end boss difficultly level. I had way harder of a time getting through that than the trials.

Look at my previous posts. Make sure to use all of the secondary abilities and magic.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm only 4 hours in but I have to say the story seems pointless and lacks direction to me, I mean the places your visit and the art direction is beautiful but the story is severely lacking for me, a whole entire epic adventure for kratos to stop having painful visions?

I felt similarly. Some narration here and there could have kept things going. As it is, it lacks a sense of propulsion. The music (or lack thereof) doesn't help with that feeling either.

Kacar

I felt similarly. Some narration here and there could have kept things going. As it is, it lacks a sense of propulsion. The music (or lack thereof) doesn't help with that feeling either.

What exactly are the sound problems everyone has been talking about. To me i think I just barely notice sound really when i play games. But i can't remember a point during this game where I thought the sound was off. I'm probably just not listening though.

The lack of music is just bizarre. It's a much quieter game than GoW1-3. There are long stretches of time where there's nothing but the (really quiet) sounds of your attacks or pushing objects around.

Oh my fucking god the final boss fight is incredible! Best last boss fight in any GOW game ever. HOLY SHIT! It's fucking CG level! Good goddamn!

Now I'm actually excited to play through again with all my upgrades.

I have a theory. Every other GOW game had an amazing opening with a so so last boss fight(GOW3 end was thematically cool and creative, but not that huge on spectacle). If you remember the behind the scenes from GOW2, they said that starting with GOW2 they develop the first part of the game LAST.

Does anyone think its possible they threw this idea out the window, and now developed the last part of the game last? btw I still think the opening of this game was great, just not as good as GOW3, but almost as good as GOW2.

protonion

About 2 hours in.

So far this is better than gow3! It feels closer to the ps2 titles which I like.

The last part of the intro fight is insane! My hair stood up during the final hits.

The second level gave me gow1 vibes. Nice optional puzzle there too!

The one I'm now had a killer sub boss!

Qtes are more involved than before and way more fun to do.

I'm early in the game but I don't get the negativity.

Derrick01

Banned
Just got all the health and magic upgrades on my own again. These collectibles have been easy to get since they started putting more than you need in the game. At least I don't believe it was always like that since god of war 1 and 2 are the only games in the series I didn't get all the eyes/feathers. I only started noticing how easy it was to get them all when 3 and the psp games came out.

Salz01

I see a lot of peeps posting SP impressions... Has anyone been digging into the multiplayer? I ask because I likely won't bother with it, but I got an email from Best Buy with the multiplayer preorder goodies. They'll go to waste if I redeem the code. Anybody want it? It's some sort of hammer and four skins... Perseus, Orion and two others I can't recall off-hand.

I played more of the MP than I wanted to last night. Lol. I have a hard time clicking with it. The guard and parry, seems so frustrating to me. It's like it works but then doesn't. Plus one map in particular drives me nuts and I wish we could vote to bypass it. Will try MP again to see if it clicks with me. It's amusing.

redhot_

What the fuck my game is not saving! Played for 3 hours late last night and i just turned it on and im back at chapter 13. ugh!!!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The lack of music is just bizarre. It's a much quieter game than GoW1-3. There are long stretches of time where there's nothing but the (really quiet) sounds of your attacks or pushing objects around.

I feel like they're trying to be really atmospheric about it, like Dark Souls or some shit, but it doesn't match the tone or feel of the other aspects of the game at all. So maybe they just totally botched the sound design by accident?

What exactly are the sound problems everyone has been talking about. To me i think I just barely notice sound really when i play games. But i can't remember a point during this game where I thought the sound was off. I'm probably just not listening though.

For me, playing on stereo setting, some sound effects are occasionally missing in mini cutscenes, the music starts and stops at odd times. It's little things like that that are very surprising given the studio's pedigree.

There are also stretches of the game where, seemingly on purpose, there's no music and just environmental ambient sound. For me those sections often felt unfinished rather than however they were supposed to feel.

Just got all the health and magic upgrades on my own again. These collectibles have been easy to get since they started putting more than you need in the game. At least I don't believe it was always like that since god of war 1 and 2 are the only games in the series I didn't get all the eyes/feathers. I only started noticing how easy it was to get them all when 3 and the psp games came out.

It's like that in the first two, but I feel they've been easier to find ever since GoW3.

I do like that once you reach Max eyes/feathers, they replace them with a larger than normal amount of red orbs, so it's still worth going out of your way a bit to find them. I fully maxed Kratos only by the final chapter, so there's a nice steady curve for upgrades, at least.

Jigolo

Just beat Castor. Holy shit that boss fight was done so well. At the beginning of the fight I didn't know whether to move or not when I was on that floating rock. Thought it was part of the video, it looked that good.

Yeah the story is nothing to write home about. It's just Kratos trying to get those thoughts and memories out of his head.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I'm not 100% sure (edit: yes i am) but I think they've always put more in the game than you need to find. 1-3 had secret chests that instantly upgraded your health, magic, or gave a shitload of experience. Those are a lot easier to miss.

I have a theory. Every other GOW game had an amazing opening with a so so last boss fight(GOW3 end was thematically cool and creative, but not that huge on spectacle). If you remember the behind the scenes from GOW2, they said that starting with GOW2 they develop the first part of the game LAST.

Does anyone think its possible they threw this idea out the window, and now developed the last part of the game last? btw I still think the opening of this game was great, just not as good as GOW3, but almost as good as GOW2.

I have a theory that the final boss was actually a
boss Kratos would of fought at the statue of apollo level. They ran out of time and reworked it to be oily and dark so it could fit in with the fury sisters final fight

What happened to this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FxcU5qGuq84#t=768s

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's like that in the first two, but I feel they've been easier to find ever since GoW3.

I do like that once you reach Max eyes/feathers, they replace them with a larger than normal amount of red orbs, so it's still worth going out of your way a bit to find them. I fully maxed Kratos only by the final chapter, so there's a nice steady curve for upgrades, at least.

Having finished Ascension, do you have any advice about how to prioritize upgrades?
Is it more important to max your elements or max your blades?

I'm assuming that in the endurance fight near the end, some powers might be more useful than others.

aristotle

It's been that way in every game. Once you get all of them, the eye and feather chests turn into red chests. You must've missed a ton in GOW 1 & 2 ;)

Having finished Ascension, do you have any advice about how to prioritize upgrades?
Is it more important to max your elements or max your blades?

I'm assuming that in the endurance fight near the end, some powers might be more useful than others.

I kinda stopped upgrading the blades around level 3, and started focusing more on the elements. For the amount of money you need for level 4/5 blades, the returns aren't really worth it for me. At least not over getting that lightning magic for example, which straight up runs shit, including the endurance run near the end.

Neokash

Neo Member
After GOW3 I thought I had enough of Kratos. I have only played a for 1 hour but the little changes they made to the game I am enjoying very much.

I really want to see how far SSM can take GOW on the PS4 but there is some things that really need to change.

Like the finishers, I appriciate that they added another level with the grappling but I want to have atleast (Interactive) choice on how I should violently kill the enemies(gut them, break them,dismember)

The first boss presentation was great but the battle was boring, I am tired of mashing and ducking,then QTE, game designers must come up with more unique ways to fight giant bosses they should look at shadow of colossus for inspiration.

Can wait to see what the game still has to offer.

george_us

Which difficulty?
Normal

Looking at your avatar I would rate it right below Revengance end boss difficultly level. I had way harder of a time getting through that than the trials.

Look at my previous posts. Make sure to use all of the secondary abilities and magic.
I'm finding it nigh-impossible not to take so much damage that I don't have a chance in hell in the next trial. The first fight alone is probably the hardest fight in the game.

And on top of all this, I get to the second trial, beat all the enemies, and the game glitches out on me. I think there's a enemy stuck in some geometry or some shit.

lol

Jigolo

Well that's dumb, why can't I pick up the cyclops's huge wooden club and use it?

hahahahah just kidding but it would be cool though

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Well that's dumb, why can't I pick up the cyclops's huge wooden club and use it?

hahahahah just kidding but it would be cool though

You have the goddamn Blades of Chaos why the hell would you want to use a piece of wood?

Carnby

With all the negative feedback this game is getting, should we expect some things to he shaken up at SSM. Or is it all just hyperbole?

bigace33

Yikes! The intro boss fight is every bit as epic as GOW3 and it's Titan's vs God's intro. The graphics in this game is amazing. The scale on that one particular fight with the
Giant head with giant teeth was just mind blowing as far as visuals.

This is definitely a God Of War game, and I can't wait to see what is coming next.

Jigolo

Just do it like this:

yep

i spell it out each time. Weird because the mobile version of the site has the button right next to 'bold'.

Anyway it seems SSM has raised the difficulty on this one. Playing through it on normal and I do find it harder than GOW3 on the same difficulty.

ryz

My god. Those missing sound effects really made me nervous, i thought my copy of GOWA is broken or my PS3 is dying.. Hope Santa Monica sorts it out. It really feels awkward having no audio feedback on so many actions.

My god. Those missing sound effects really made me nervous, i thought my copy of GOWA is broken or my PS3 is dying.. Hope Santa Monica sorts it out. It really feels awkward having no audio feedback on so many actions.

yea like when picking up an enemy and using them as a battering ram. Theres no sound effect when you run into the other enemies. This was fun in GOW3, but now with no sound, its pretty lame...

Audio is fine in MP?

Seems to be. Really fun too! MP is definitely not a useless tacked on addition.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The problem with the combat in this game is that you are blocking 75% of the time. That shouldn't be happening in a game with so much combat. Kratos feels weak because he doesn't do a lot if damage and you are reduced to guarding for a large majority of pretty much every fight.

baphomet

Christ some of these camera angles are terrible. Did they not test this shit? Fighting off 6 characters completely blind isn't fun.

Top Bottom