• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Derrick01

Banned
I must say I'm enjoying (second half of game location spoiler)
Archimedes' statue
. The game really picked up once I got there and it feels a lot like god of war 2 with how huge the area is and how you're often reaching parts you've been to already only to have a new gadget or something else opening up a new section.

This game is still missing some memorable encounters though. That's a complaint I've had since I started it and it could have really made this game a lot better and masked how boring the first half of the game is. Like I remember how boring some parts of GoW3 was, but I mostly remember how amazing the Chronos or Hades fight was, or the intro.

Kacar

I was stuck in a glitch and had to restart also. I remade the wooden bridge all the way and let go of L2 but my screen just stayed staring at it with the green hue, i could walk off screen and everything with Kratos but the screen stuck to the bridge no matter what. It was annoying.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was stuck in a glitch and had to restart also. I remade the wooden bridge all the way and let go of L2 but my screen just stayed staring at it with the green hue, i could walk off screen and everything with Kratos but the screen stuck to the bridge no matter what. It was annoying.

Same thing happened to me. A puzzle shortly after had a corpse I had to use get stuck floating in the air. Thankfully both were fixed from restarting checkpoints, which were right there.

is there a description somewhere listing the pros/cons of each allegiance in the multiplayer? I know Ares is offense, and Zeus is magic, what are the Poseidon and Hades attributes?

Posting this here since the majority of my complaints were in here lol

After beating the game once and struggling in the infamous "TRIAL" I came to appreciate the abilities that Kratos does have in the game. The thing about this game is that you have to be EXTREMELY strategic on how you approach enemy encounters and you have to be more offensive than defensive to succeed. However that doesn't mean button mashing. You have to know what enemies are vulnerable to what, when enemies are vulnerable and when to use certain techniques like the grapple. The grapple has become my best friend really.

On my first playthrough of the game I approached it like previous GOW games and attempted to upgrade my blades first however that does not work the same way in this game. You have to upgrade your special abilities and use them to your advantage. Another tip I would give for anyone going through for the first time is to go for the red orb kills on the larger enemies instead of the magic/health kills in order to upgrade much faster (This is pretty much true for any GOW game though)

I'm playing on Hard and not New Game+ btw.

Anyway, now that I've gotten used to the new control scheme and mechanics the game has become much more enjoyable. This really does have some of the best moments in any GOW game. All the boss fights are very good and the in game animations are solid as well.

Overall I still like GOW3 as my favorite followed by GOW Ghost of Sparta then GOW 2. However, this is becoming one of my favorite GOW games as well.

I haven't done competitive MP yet but I did play co-op with a stranger and it turned out to be a lot of fun.

All in all here's how I break it down:

Story: 7/10 (essentially nothing really happens that digs deeper in the GOW story as a whole IMO)
Presentation: 10/10 (Graphics are superb. I'm haven't experienced the sound issues people are saying but that may be because I play with headphones)
Gameplay: 8/10 (It takes a little getting used to and may put-off many people due to difficulty spikes)
Overall: 9/10

For those on the fence about this game I think it's a definite buy instead of a rental. I will say that it takes some getting used to because it plays much differently than previous GOW games but once you actually get accustomed to it, you'll feel right at home.

Just got this but now I don't know if I should wait for the sound fix since its coming. I'd rather not wait a week+ but if the ETA is like a day then I'll wait.

Respawn

Banned
GAF Brothers and Sisters I have a question,

How many of you are playing in native 1080I? I know it's interlaced but is the image quality a bit more up from 720? Yes fast moving images and all that but I want to hear from you.

Thanks,

GAF Brothers and Sisters I have a question,

How many of you are playing in native 1080I? I know it's interlaced but is the image quality a bit more up from 720? Yes fast moving images and all that but I want to hear from you.

Thanks,
But isn't the game 720p natively like GOW 3? It definitely only has that listed on the back of my Ascension box.

where the fuck is my TLOU demo. Can I play it now?

No, 79 days... :(

I just finished the game.

jesus fuck it was GLORIOUS O_O

-----------------
i think i had a near perfect experience too in terms of any glitches or whatnot, and i haven't downloaded any patches yet.

on to multiplayer! hope i can wreck shit up as well as i did in the beta :D
-----------------

no sex mini game??? i don't even know what to say....it's madness! it was a series staple, all 5 games had it, even the portable games..

also missing were manual save points. I like manual save points so i can have a new save file for every moment I want to replay from singleplayer, or show to friends.

edit: ah i guess there is chapter selection >_>

george_us

I...I did it. I DID IT! I BEAT THE FUCKING TRIALS!

It threw me off because I've never had to really LEAN on magic/abilities in any of the God of War games like I had to do here. Looking back...I kind of like it.

Just kind of.

I...I did it. I DID IT! I BEAT THE FUCKING TRIALS!

It threw me off because I've never had to really LEAN on magic/abilities in any of the God of War games like I had to do here. Looking back...I kind of like it.

Just kind of.

lol

My thoughts, exactly. I think the hard part is keeping your health above 50% for rounds 2 and 3. Those stupid Gorgons and Sirens on the first round...

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's actually the other way around. Once you max out feathers or horns, the remaining chests of that type turn into red orbs.

Am I remembering correctly that in GOW1 the game sort of paces you in terms of giving you eyes and feathers? Like if you've gotten every single one in first few hours, some of the chests will be orbs instead, until you make a certain amount of progress through the game, at which point they start giving eyes and feathers again?

I could totally be remembering that wrong.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just got this but now I don't know if I should wait for the sound fix since its coming. I'd rather not wait a week+ but if the ETA is like a day then I'll wait.

Try playing on the "Headphones" audio setting. According to another poster that fixes it or at least improves the issue. (And you don't actually have to use headphones, obviously.)

Torraz

Does the game have any asshole moments like GoW 1 and 2?

By this I mean:
- infinite monster spawn until x condition (rock pushed in front of monster spawn point)
- timed events with infinite monster spawns where, if you take too long your progress is undone

I really hated those in GoW 1 and 2 and was very happy that 3 did not have any of those...

Does the game have any asshole moments like GoW 1 and 2?

By this I mean:
- infinite monster spawn until x condition (rock pushed in front of monster spawn point)
- timed events with infinite monster spawns where, if you take too long your progress is undone

I really hated those in GoW 1 and 2 and was very happy that 3 did not have any of those...

Yes; flames approaching from both sides on a conveyor belt and damn near endless Goat spawns you have to defeat otherwise you die.

DeVeAn

How likely is a PSN release? Surprised its not a Day 1 Digital. I ask because I mainly download everything now.

BHK3

Banned
Ok, I'm done. This trial bullshit, no, I'm not gonna sit here for 6 hours like shit ass sesslar and try and beat some stupid ass bullshit trial where you take damage and theres nothing you can fucking do about it and you get no health or checkpoints. You have NO MAGIC. You have NO RAGE OF THE GODS. You have NO TOOLS TO FIGHT THIS BULLSHIT.

I get knocked down by a amazonian bitch and then her fucking bitch friend starts JUGGLING ME LIKE SHE'S A FUCKING A CLOWN THEN THE FUCKING HARPIES PICK HER UP THEN THEY START CHUCKING FUCKING SPEARS AT ME. I press square, I press triangle, NOTHINGS WORKS. Ice, fire, souls, lightning, this bitches just fucking take my attacks on the chin like they were fucking zeus and continue on with their animations. The gorgons jump at you when you're kinda far and thats instant damge, they attack FARTHER then you can roll.

And apparently there's 3 parts to this HORESHIT. I have 0 tools to combat this, they took everything out of the game that made you powerful, they took combat progress since 2005 and threw it out the fucking window SO YOU CAN CHAIN SOME PEOPLE WHILE STILL TTACKING, WHICH BY THE WAY DOES SHIT ALL SINCE EVERY ENEMY DOESN'T STUMBLE OR FLINCH WHEN YOU ATTACK SO ATTACKING THEM WHEN YOU HAVE ONE BLADE OCCUPIED IS A PRETTY FUCKING STUPID DECISION.

I don't have enough orbs for fullly upgrade these shit ass elemental powers so I don't know if electricity has a better magic attack or not, Ares explosions seems to kinda do some damage, the ice magic attack fucking blows because it does no damage and it slows them down but the game is broken piece of fucking shit so even if some of them are slow their models will blink from being coated with ice back to normal like I didn't just fucking spin my blades around like an idiot making an icestorm, fucking making me waste meter.

I pre-ordered this fucking game back in December, I was on your forums telling you what was wrong with your multiplayer every single damn day, when in reality you put 0 effort into the fucking single player and I bet the mutliplayer is still gonna have fuckin beta problems when I activiate this stupid online pass EVEN THOUGH THE PS4 IS OUT LATER THIS YEAR NOPE FUCK USED GAMERS.

I don't even know what the fuck I just typed because I am just blinded with rage right now. I can't even do a fucking relief angry fap because there's no sex minigame, not like I can go back to it BECAUSE THEY TOOK OUT FUCKING MANUAL SAVING ASLHIDA;OJFOIASHRBJGISXD;HUFOGJIBS

Ok, I'm done. This trial bullshit, no, I'm not gonna sit here for 6 hours like shit ass sesslar and try and beat some stupid ass bullshit trial where you take damage and theres nothing you can fucking do about it and you get no health or checkpoints. You have NO MAGIC. You have NO RAGE OF THE GODS. You have NO TOOLS TO FIGHT THIS BULLSHIT.

I get knocked down by a amazonian bitch and then her fucking bitch friend starts JUGGLING ME LIKE SHE'S A FUCKING A CLOWN THEN THE FUCKING HARPIES PICK HER UP THEN THEY START CHUCKING FUCKING SPEARS AT ME. I press square, I press triangle, NOTHINGS WORKS. Ice, fire, souls, lightning, this bitches just fucking take my attacks on the chin like they were fucking zeus and continue on with their animations. The gorgons jump at you when you're kinda far and thats instant damge, they attack FARTHER then you can roll.

And apparently there's 3 parts to this HORESHIT. I have 0 tools to combat this, they took everything out of the game that made you powerful, they took combat progress since 2005 and threw it out the fucking window SO YOU CAN CHAIN SOME PEOPLE WHILE STILL TTACKING, WHICH BY THE WAY DOES SHIT ALL SINCE EVERY ENEMY DOESN'T STUMBLE OR FLINCH WHEN YOU ATTACK SO ATTACKING THEM WHEN YOU HAVE ONE BLADE OCCUPIED IS A PRETTY FUCKING STUPID DECISION.

I don't have enough orbs for fullly upgrade these shit ass elemental powers so I don't know if electricity has a better magic attack or not, Ares explosions seems to kinda do some damage, the ice magic attack fucking blows because it does no damage and it slows them down but the game is broken piece of fucking shit so even if some of them are slow their models will blink from being coated with ice back to normal like I didn't just fucking spin my blades around like an idiot making an icestorm, fucking making me waste meter.

I pre-ordered this fucking game back in December, I was on your forums telling you what was wrong with your multiplayer every single damn day, when in reality you put 0 effort into the fucking single player and I bet the mutliplayer is still gonna have fuckin beta problems when I activiate this stupid online pass EVEN THOUGH THE PS4 IS OUT LATER THIS YEAR NOPE FUCK USED GAMERS.

I don't even know what the fuck I just typed because I am just blinded with rage right now. I can't even do a fucking relief angry fap because there's no sex minigame, not like I can go back to it BECAUSE THEY TOOK OUT FUCKING MANUAL SAVING ASLHIDA;OJFOIASHRBJGISXD;HUFOGJIBS

LMAO!

Hey, check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAmg2156DX4

Hope that helps.

TentPole

So I just finished the Bros/Hos/Foes fight and I am not liking this game. The bosses have been great and the puzzles have been good. I dislike everything else. I don't like the combat. I don't like the under-cooked elemental abilities. I don't like the level design. And I am baffled by the lack of story.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am really enjoying the multiplayer. Doesn't make up for the disappointing campaign though.

LOL I love this post for all the wrong reasons.

Trust me I feel your pain. It is beatable though. I had to take a break away from the game and come back to beat it.

One of the last games that truly made me rage (which I hardly ever do... like EVER) Was Friday the 13th on Nintendo. Thought I had beat Jason, he gets all his health back. Almost kill him again and he has like one bar of health left! BAM! DEAD! No more camp counselors....GAME OVER. Start a new game! FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, I don't know about this game... Have only played up until
you defeat the Oracle's assistant (or whatever) and then talk to her before she dies
, but thus far I'm not really feeling it. I can't quite explain it, but the game feels a bit "off" to me. Like it isn't really a GoW game, but rather something trying to emulate the formula but not quite getting all the way there. It's weird.

The entire intro sequence didn't really grab me at all. Sure, it looked cool I guess, but gameplay-wise I found it pretty unfocused and confusing. Also, am I the only one who finds it very difficult to see who I even am in the midst of battle sometimes? Doesn't help that they often make the brilliant decision to zoom the camera waaay out right as 10 guys come at you. Lost track of Kratos a whole bunch of times. Man, the camera angles have been pretty fucking atrocious from time to time. I have quite often had the feeling that the devs have prioritized cool-looking sequences over playability.

So yeah, I don't know. Hopefully it will pick up later on and start feeling really good, but as of right now I don't really know what to make of it.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah it's pretty bullshit. I just now died on the third one and had to start all over.

I should have the game from Gamefly tomorrow or Friday at the latest, so I guess I'll see soon enough. Sounds pretty damn rage inducing, but ultimately rewarding judging from the posts.

Top Bottom