• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

BHK3

Banned
Has anyone tried playing the game on easy to see if the trials are...easy on that?

Remember how dying a lot would prompt the game asking you to switch to a easier difficulty? They took that shit out too, casuals am cry. I AM CRY FUCKING 1 HOUR WASTED ON THIS SHIT UURRRGGGJHHH

Dat final boss.

Yeah....Dat was jaw dropping.

Remember how dying a lot would prompt the game asking you to switch to a easier difficulty? They took that shit out too, casuals am cry. I AM CRY FUCKING 1 HOUR WASTED ON THIS SHIT UURRRGGGJHHH

Keep playing man. YOU CAN DO IT. Just remember all the abilities you unlock and how they can be used in combat. Upgrade the hades enchantment too. Think of the hours you put in as training for the trials section. You will feel good when you beat it and level up your gaming skills as well.

Okay so I beat the first boss and quit because I didn't die once (not the entire boss though).

I beat GOW3 on hard and died on almost every encounter so I feel what I just played was too easy. I'm ready to go to hard mode but the last page literally stopped me after reading about the trials.

Goddamn this decision is stressing me out.

The graphics have been insane though, but from my memory, GOW3s Kratos model might be better. Plus the blur on Kratos when he swings the blades seems absent, unless I'm mistaken.

Derrick01

Banned
Alright I beat the trials on my 2nd try. It wasn't so bad that time, just use everything you have and try to get stuns on the first wave as that's the most ridiculous one. I got to wave 2 with 50-60% health and it was smooth sailing from then on. I actually managed to finish the last wave with full health and magic.

Got my copy today

Saving singleplayer for the weekend, started dicking around in MP for an hour or two

Pretty fun, I went with Hades since he was my favorite boss fight in 3

I noticed there is some input and sound delay sometimes though

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jesus christ, this fight I am on against a Cerberus and constantly respawning goats is fucking annoying. The stage is way too small and this stupid fucker constantly warps underground to come out with a huge AoE attack.

BHK3

Banned
I'm done, I'll try again tomorrow or something. I want to know the secret, because I have to be RIGHT next to them for my clone to work and my L2+Square only helps so much. You can have a perfect start then the sirens come out, you get stun locked, I just have no more words for this, my brain is tired and I'm exhausted from raging. The fact that my magic attacks don't are weak as shit and don't do anything is the real killer here, I'll use ares fire or the hades hands but they will literally just stand there, in the fucking aoe, and wait for you to finish or they'll start casting spells. I slow one gorgon down and the other jumps on me, I roll away or parry and the other turns me to stone. I kill both and the sirens spawn and they dodge everything and throw lightning balls at me, Idk what to do anymore.

Even if I make it past that, I HAVE to have a full magic bar for the next one cause the hades hands one seems to work best but they when the stupid whores get low on life they fly off the edge, taking my precious health orbs with them. Do you know what it's like when you use the hands of fucking hades to help you, but some girl in a blue toga with a spear will just stand there right next to you and watch? Whats the point of even having the golems in this game if they take 5 minutes to kill because they power up? You had the fire meter to deal with that shit in 3 and they were easy peasy, it's just a waste of time. I made it to the 3rd round twice, first time I killed the centaur but apparently he can parry me so that took a good chunk of my life, then I killed him and the Wraiths start doing moves they have never done before, like go into the ground and make a line and that line explodes so I die to that. Awesome, that was even stupider then
fighting the furies and suddenly during the QTE the game makes you rotate the analog stick FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE GAME, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME...

Anyone who beat this beat this on a fluke, the trial itself wouldn't be that hard if the enemies responded appropriately to your attacks and if kratos could do more then block, square square, block, square square...go fuck yourselfs santa monica. Go help make more indie games or somethings, you've lost your touch.

Derrick01

Banned
Alright I finished it at just a few seconds under 8 hours. The 2nd half of the game was much stronger but ultimately this was still a bit of a disappointment.

- I initially thought the combat changes were really good but as time went on I realized that none of the elemental styles seemed to be doing extra damage so I stuck with fire and dark for most of the game. I did not like so many things being tied to a rage meter that almost fully depletes after every hit, especially when block is so useless in this game.

- The game looked great although I still don't think it was more impressive than 3.

- Final boss was cool but mostly smoke and mirrors. The actual fight wasn't very fun.

- Story was alright I guess although it suffered from prequelitis, meaning it was ultimately pointless. It simply didn't need to be told to set up GoW 1 as I still feel like GoW 1 set itself up fine.

- Puzzles were really good for this series. I almost went to youtube 3 different times before finally cracking those 3 puzzles.

Overall I'd give it a 6 or 7/10. I don't know if I'm going to remember most of this game years from now like I do with the other console games as they all wowed me in their respective years and this didn't. It lacked memorable boss fights and setpieces and had the worst intro of any console god of war which is a shame because the series is partially famous for its unbelievable openings.

As for the series I'm going with GoW 2> 3 > Ascension > 1 > GoS > COO.

EagleEyes

Alright I finished it at just a few seconds under 8 hours. The 2nd half of the game was much stronger but ultimately this was still a bit of a disappointment.

- I initially thought the combat changes were really good but as time went on I realized that none of the elemental styles seemed to be doing extra damage so I stuck with fire and dark for most of the game. I did not like so many things being tied to a rage meter that almost fully depletes after every hit, especially when block is so useless in this game.

- The game looked great although I still don't think it was more impressive than 3.

- Final boss was cool but mostly smoke and mirrors. The actual fight wasn't very fun.

- Story was alright I guess although it suffered from prequelitis, meaning it was ultimately pointless. It simply didn't need to be told to set up GoW 1 as I still feel like GoW 1 set itself up fine.

- Puzzles were really good for this series. I almost went to youtube 3 different times before finally cracking those 3 puzzles.

Overall I'd give it a 6 or 7/10. I don't know if I'm going to remember most of this game years from now like I do with the other console games as they all wowed me in their respective years and this didn't. It lacked memorable boss fights and setpieces and had the worst intro of any console god of war which is a shame because the series is partially famous for its unbelievable openings.

As for the series I'm going with GoW 2> 3 > Ascension > 1 > GoS > COO.
So now do you want to apologize to those reviewers you called out last week claiming they were biased for giving it a 7 and that Gears better get the same treatment. :p

Derrick01

Banned
So now do you want to apologize to those reviewers you called out last week claiming they were biased for giving it a 7 and that Gears better get the same treatment. :p

I only called out Gies because he was against the game from the very start and was asking why this game exists as a professional reviewer. Seeing as he has a long history of...not exactly supporting both sides to put it nicely, it came off the wrong way. And all that was before the review even came out with that score. So no I won't apologize for that.

velociraptor

Jesus christ, this fight I am on against a Cerberus and constantly respawning goats is fucking annoying. The stage is way too small and this stupid fucker constantly warps underground to come out with a huge AoE attack.

Respawning enemies? Well it looks like I'm out.

I think I will wait a few months when the game hits the bargain bins instead of playing the game next week.

Respawning enemies is the epitome of shitty game design. I have no problem if enemies come in waves, but to constantly have a foe wished back to life over and over and over again until some arbitary objective is met is simply madness.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I think I will wait a few months when the game hits the bargain bins instead of playing the game next week.

Respawning enemies is the epitome of shitty game design. I have no problem if enemies come in waves, but to constantly have a foe wished back to life over and over and over again until some arbitary objective is met is simply madness.

I was actually wrong here, I was eventually able to clear them out.

Jigolo

Guys I'm stuck on a part with a huge chain. I keep rebuilding and tearing it down. Nothing is working:(

Edit: nvm I'm an idiot

beat it. great game. gonna hold off on a 2nd playthrough to see what they do with the sound. countering was a bit of a pain, but I got over it. First and last bosses were flat out crazy. Overall game reminded me of GOW2 was is to be expected since we were not facing the gods. great puzzles, fun combat, crazy graphics, worthy addition to the series

Radec

Theres no infinite respawning apart from where you need to try a move or skill.

dab0ne

Ok, apparently the trials are a bastard. I haven't gotten my game yet but I did beat GOW3 on all difficulties. How troublesome are the trials for a veteran GOW player?

Just reached the section where
You seek an audience with the oracle and have to cross the collapsing bridge with the guard who has some guy attached to his belly tries to prevent you
How much longer is left in the game? I ask only because I have a flight out of town in 12 hours so I'd like to finish it tonight if possible.

Is the game making anyone else's PS3 run loud? My other question is whether the lighting attacks to less damage for being quicker, they're very satisfying to use.

SSReborn

Ok, apparently the trials are a bastard. I haven't gotten my game yet but I did beat GOW3 on all difficulties. How troublesome are the trials for a veteran GOW player?

I played it on Normal my first run through and to be honest there was not really much of a difficulty spike it was challenging for the first round but the other ones were very easy. I'm not sure about Hard or Titan however gonna try them soon. You shouldn't have any problems beating it on that difficulty.

Melchiah

I've so far enjoyed the game on easy difficulty, and I definitely see nothing wrong with it like many others, except the fucking platforming. I just love to do the same dozen jumps a dozen times over because I miss the last one, because there's absolutely no visible cue of what to do. Is it so fucking hard to put the checkpoint just before the moment you died, instead of in the beginning of a series of jumps?

If there's anything I wish they'd get rid off in the future entries, it's the goddam platforming sections, like in the encounter with the
guardian in the oracle's place

Started on Hard, can't lower it without starting over?

This combat is atrocious. Whoever made that thread is absolutely right. I can't see where I am, camera is fucked, enemies take forever to die, the enemies have zero reaction to my hits and the swarm of them just ignore my attacks and lay into me as I'm mid-animation. Fuck the combat designer. Shit sucks. I seriously just sit there holding block waiting for an oppurtunity when they all sync their attacks so I can swing once without being interrupted. Fucking disgusting.

Yeah, the new combat system does suck. It doesn't make sense for that meter to build up and then lose all your unlocked combos from one random hit from any type of enemy. At least let Kratos take a few hits before starting to deplete, or even make it deplete with time rather than hits.

I also agree with the people that this game lacks soul. It does. It consists of Kratos roaming from one beautiful locale to another, slaying random beasts with no interesting plot direction, or real variety so far.

I guess I'm still early though, I just got the ice element for my blades.

Melchiah

I guess I will wait for the sound patch before starting my playthrough

I've only noticed one minor missing sound during the beginning of the game, when playing with headphones on.

I did also notice two bugs in the English subtitles and texts. The first replaced Hecatonchires in the dialogue with "no suggestions", the audio was fine though, and the second was a mural where the depiction was partly gibberish.

Bruiserk

Just got to the Oracle, defeated the boss, and the camera is stuck after repairing the bridge. Help?

edit: nevermind. reloading the specific chapter fixes it.

synce

About 80 minutes into the game (chapter 5 or 6), and... I give up. I've tried every GOW but never managed to finish one. My gripes with this one, off the top of my head:

- You can barely see Kratos in some battles, and can't adjust the camera in any way

- Nonsensical progression (solve puzzle, backtrack, and take new route that had nothing to do with puzzle)

- Game tells you can freeze and shock enemies to get blue orbs but doesn't tell you HOW and it's not in the move list

- Understated, almost non-existent sound design. The world feels empty and lifeless as a result

- Can't turn off vibration or skip cutscenes

Maybe GOW5 will be the one I finally manage to finish. It's not like I'm inexperienced with action games, I've been following DMC, NG, etc. since day 1 and everything inbetween.

redhot_

So since my game is still not auto saving, how many hours would it take to finish the game from chapter 13? I'd have to do it on one sitting by the looks of things.

Robot Pants

Anyone who beat this beat this on a fluke, the trial itself wouldn't be that hard if the enemies responded appropriately to your attacks and if kratos could do more then block, square square, block, square square..

This is very true. Same thing I said earlier.

moolhy

Banned
Okay, this game is definitely not as well designed as GoWIII.

The pacing is off, as some have mentioned. It feels silent, without purpose. And some levels make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

That bit with the steamroller room where you get in the middle to draw parts of the wall and get to a higher ground? WTF was the point of that? To get me to solve a puzzle? Why couldn't I scale back up the wall that collapsed seconds before and be on my way? Whatever...

Gameplay wise, the way your arsenal is laid out gets in the way of proper combat, and parrying is a spamming lottery. Random point: The gorgon finishers while gorier than in GOWIII don't have the same nice flow (and you can't see the cuts in their bodies when you counter their constricting move!).

Last thing! They really need to evolve the formula simply on the basis of how much the visuals have evolved since last gen. Every time there's a tight navigating section where the camera gets up close to Kratos I start mashing buttons just to see how goddamn realistic his character model is. They need to take advantage of this with a new gameplay model. Take what they know and evolve it. Two major games out and the generation is almost over seems like a missed opportunity.

TentPole

I will never understand the complaints about side rooms with optional puzzles for some extra chests. Why does there have to be only one direction to go in at any given time? Why is it a flaw to have a cool little aside that is off the "critical path"?

moolhy

Banned
I will never understand the complaints about side rooms with optional puzzles for some extra chests. Why does there have to be only one direction to go in at any given time? Why is it a flaw to have a cool little aside that is off the "critical path"?

Because it comes off as fluff and forced. They shouldn't have made it so that you had to backtrack.

Maaseru

Banned
Man this game just crashed my PS3 really bad. HAs anyone experienced this? I hope it didn't really damage anything....

I'm loving it, but some of the QTE are really trial an error. I didn't have this much trouble with them in past games, but they are coming up really random through battles, sometimes, and it's really messing up my play. The PS3 crashed at the continue screen if that means anything.

TentPole

Because it comes off as fluff and forced. They shouldn't have made it so that you had to backtrack.

By backtrack do you mean walking the 15 seconds back to try the other door way?

It sounds more like you are mad that the game tricked you into doing a puzzle that you didn't absolutely have to in your quest to make a straight beeline through the game by not announcing that it was just an optional aside.

Occasionally having more than just one direction to go in is a plus in my book. God of War 1 did it a lot more and it is one of the things that I kinda miss as the series has gotten just a little more linear.

Top Bottom