• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Kurod

Banned
Just started playing and so far the game is really fun minus some audio issues.

Anyone else keep hearing people say it as "Aegeon the Honkytonk-ires"?

I feel like the sound issue is that it's stuck on pro logic II and we aren't getting discrete multi channel sound. Not even sure what the diff between headphone and stereo is, they are both stereo.

pixelbox

OK enough of the negativity. Let's talk about performance. The game itself runs alot better than the demo. There is also better texture-work. I know SM said you won't finda difference but have any of you noticed this?

BHK3

Banned
OK enough of the negativity. Let's talk about performance. The game itself runs alot better than the demo. There is also better texture-work. I know SM said you won't finda difference but have any of you noticed this?

Never played the demo but most of the textures take a while to load(sometimes never) and the framerate I find to be much more unstable then before. I also never ever had glitches before until Ascension.

I think this game has the best environments in the series.

I'm still loving this. I do miss the easy parry, but I'm getting used to the changes. I don't know - i feel like SSM's fucking if they do, fucked if they don't. If they'd kept the combat static, people would have griefed them for more of the same.

Just enjoy the game that's there, guys.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ive been debating whether or not to pick this game up cause Im kinda broke right now, I think Im gonna pass, these impressions are really bad. I have to wonder if the combat is borked simply because they wanted Kratos to have less moves/abilities because the game is a prequel. You would think despite that they could come up with a more "raw" Kratos and system that is still fun to play. Im assuming as you move forward in the game and upgrade all you shit/learn new moves and magic that the combat at least gets somewhat better? And people are saying there's virtually no story? WTF? I thought the entire point of this game existing was to fill in the gaps and explain how Kratos came to be? Very strange.

TentPole

I have to wonder if the combat is borked simply because they wanted Kratos to have less moves/abilities because the game is a prequel. You would think despite that they could come up with a more "raw" Kratos and system that is still fun to play. Im assuming as you move forward in the game and upgrade all you shit/learn new moves and magic that the combat at least gets somewhat better?

I am pretty sure that they were trying to make the combat both more technical and tactical. Unfortunately they seem to have completely fucked it up.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Personally I think the game is much better than God of War 3. I am not a huge fan of the combat changes but when you do get momentum in battle and start locking down enemies it's a lot of fun. If it was stuck to the elemental effects while the combos where available whenever it would have worked out better. Well, aside from the parry...

Also, seriously, the sound issues are 1014124190 times worse in multiplayer EVERYTHING sounds muted in there. Needs a patch asap.

Started on Hard, can't lower it without starting over?

This combat is atrocious. Whoever made that thread is absolutely right. I can't see where I am, camera is fucked, enemies take forever to die, the enemies have zero reaction to my hits and the swarm of them just ignore my attacks and lay into me as I'm mid-animation. Fuck the combat designer. Shit sucks. I seriously just sit there holding block waiting for an oppurtunity when they all sync their attacks so I can swing once without being interrupted. Fucking disgusting.

I said once and i say it again. SMM needs better combat designers and programmers. Seriously, enemies are just like sponges with no reactions and the combat is seriously slow and dull.

surely these guys play test their own games. They must surely be able to see it themselves?

BadAss2961

As for the series I'm going with GoW 2> 3 > Ascension > 1 > GoS > COO.
Better than God of War 1 is still good enough for me.

Does it really have the worst intro of the console games though? I find that hard to believe, as GoW1 can't hold a candle to what the series has been doing since in that regard.

Ok, I'm done. This trial bullshit, no, I'm not gonna sit here for 6 hours like shit ass sesslar and try and beat some stupid ass bullshit trial where you take damage and theres nothing you can fucking do about it and you get no health or checkpoints. You have NO MAGIC. You have NO RAGE OF THE GODS. You have NO TOOLS TO FIGHT THIS BULLSHIT.

I get knocked down by a amazonian bitch and then her fucking bitch friend starts JUGGLING ME LIKE SHE'S A FUCKING A CLOWN THEN THE FUCKING HARPIES PICK HER UP THEN THEY START CHUCKING FUCKING SPEARS AT ME. I press square, I press triangle, NOTHINGS WORKS. Ice, fire, souls, lightning, this bitches just fucking take my attacks on the chin like they were fucking zeus and continue on with their animations. The gorgons jump at you when you're kinda far and thats instant damge, they attack FARTHER then you can roll.

And apparently there's 3 parts to this HORESHIT. I have 0 tools to combat this, they took everything out of the game that made you powerful, they took combat progress since 2005 and threw it out the fucking window SO YOU CAN CHAIN SOME PEOPLE WHILE STILL TTACKING, WHICH BY THE WAY DOES SHIT ALL SINCE EVERY ENEMY DOESN'T STUMBLE OR FLINCH WHEN YOU ATTACK SO ATTACKING THEM WHEN YOU HAVE ONE BLADE OCCUPIED IS A PRETTY FUCKING STUPID DECISION.

I don't have enough orbs for fullly upgrade these shit ass elemental powers so I don't know if electricity has a better magic attack or not, Ares explosions seems to kinda do some damage, the ice magic attack fucking blows because it does no damage and it slows them down but the game is broken piece of fucking shit so even if some of them are slow their models will blink from being coated with ice back to normal like I didn't just fucking spin my blades around like an idiot making an icestorm, fucking making me waste meter.

I pre-ordered this fucking game back in December, I was on your forums telling you what was wrong with your multiplayer every single damn day, when in reality you put 0 effort into the fucking single player and I bet the mutliplayer is still gonna have fuckin beta problems when I activiate this stupid online pass EVEN THOUGH THE PS4 IS OUT LATER THIS YEAR NOPE FUCK USED GAMERS.

I don't even know what the fuck I just typed because I am just blinded with rage right now. I can't even do a fucking relief angry fap because there's no sex minigame, not like I can go back to it BECAUSE THEY TOOK OUT FUCKING MANUAL SAVING ASLHIDA;OJFOIASHRBJGISXD;HUFOGJIBS

wait theres no sex minigame in Ascension??! Why haven't I heard about this yet? Theres been a sex mini game in every single GOW! Did the devs ever announce this or explain why? I would of thought months ago they would have announced something like this.

Derrick01

Banned
Better than God of War 1 is still good enough for me.

Does it really have the worst intro of the console games though? I find that hard to believe, as GoW1 can't hold a candle to what the series has been doing since in that regard.

I don't compare them to each other as it wouldn't be fair due to 3 and Ascension having such a massive tech advantage. I just go off how they wowed me when they first came out.

BadAss2961

Personally I think the game is much better than God of War 3. I am not a huge fan of the combat changes but when you do get momentum in battle and start locking down enemies it's a lot of fun. If it was stuck to the elemental effects while the combos where available whenever it would have worked out better. Well, aside from the parry...

Also, seriously, the sound issues are 1014124190 times worse in multiplayer EVERYTHING sounds muted in there. Needs a patch asap.
Weird... The beta was fine.

Someone must've changed something right before this game went gold that screwed up the sound.
I don't compare them to each other as it wouldn't be fair due to 3 and Ascension having such a massive tech advantage. I just go off how they wowed me when they first came out.

Okay, I could see that. I'll probably disagree since GoW1's intro didn't wow me much even the first time I played it.

Manus

I'm stuck:
I'm an hour in. I was just introduced to the L3+R3 fire attack. They locked me an area with goat-enemies. I keep killing them every which way, but they keep respawning. What gives?

I refilled the rage/fire meter a few times. The goats keep respawning.

Just got to keep slaving through them. It's just that area spawns a ton.

Papercuts

Weird... The beta was fine.

Someone must've changed something right before this game went gold that screwed up the sound.

Okay, I could see that. I'll probably disagree since GoW1's intro didn't wow me much even the first time I played it.

I recall the beta being fine, yeah. The other SP demo segment's sound worked fine as well, when I got there in the retail game the music cut out twice during the first cutscene. No clue what they did there...

Ricker

I am stuck again in Chapter 13 or 14,the first real puzzle with the Amulet of Urowhatever,the one that you either heal or decay,there's this big wheel in front of a waterfall way in the background,and one of those hooks that you attach to and drag back,it lowers one of the little seat like things on the wheel but not enough to jump on it...am I suppose to decay after or something,can I stop a decay or heal midway or something?...no clue.

I just beat the game. Needless to say, I was very impressed, which is something since I was completely apathetic to the game prior to release. Sony Santa Monica succeeded in making Kratos likeable and relatable again, and I really enjoyed the variety of locations in the game.

I have to say, Ascension is either my favorite GOW game or second-favorite behind GOW2. And my god at that end battle. It made the Posiedon battle in GOW3 look like peanuts in comparison.

Robot Pants

I am stuck again in Chapter 13 or 14,the first real puzzle with the Amulet of Urowhatever,the one that you either heal or decay,there's this big wheel in front of a waterfall way in the background,and one of those hooks that you attach to and drag back,it lowers one of the little seat like things on the wheel but not enough to jump on it...am I suppose to decay after or something,can I stop a decay or heal midway or something?...no clue.

pull back the crank, then immediately use the oroborous and drop giant wheel piece in front of the crank so it can't move.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got to the infamous trial and I think I'm going to call it a night there. I'm a bit too tired to tackle something like that right now.

Game has been absolutely fantastic for the duration I played today. I think I figured out the game's biggest problem and why the combat feels so off for the first part of the game, you're too underpowered and it takes too long to get the elements maxed out. Once you get their magic abilities and the secondary items combat becomes way more interesting, deep, and strategic than the other games in the series. They did a great job with the new combat system but they didn't build up to it smoothly enough, resulting in a poor initial impression. I love the exploration, puzzles, and environments in this one. They really knocked it out of the park in terms of art design.

BTW anyone got any tips for the electric sirens? Ice seems to knock them about a lot but they're the one enemy I don't have figured out.

TentPole

I don't know if I am more suprised by how lackluster the campaign is, or how impressive the multiplayer is turning out to be.

For better or for worse, that opening changed the entire industry. For its time it was something special.

moolhy

Banned
By backtrack do you mean walking the 15 seconds back to try the other door way?

It sounds more like you are mad that the game tricked you into doing a puzzle that you didn't absolutely have to in your quest to make a straight beeline through the game by not announcing that it was just an optional aside.

Occasionally having more than just one direction to go in is a plus in my book. God of War 1 did it a lot more and it is one of the things that I kinda miss as the series has gotten just a little more linear.

It wasn't optional. The game highlights the next "trigger" AFTER you come out of the alleyway and around the little segment where you just fought the baddies to make your way to the pointless, obligatory puzzle.

Papercuts

It wasn't optional. The game highlights the next "trigger" AFTER you come out of the alleyway and around the little segment where you just fought the baddies to make your way to the pointless, olbigatory puzzle.

wot

It is optional. I completely missed the room the first time through, after the bridge breaks you are able to pull the column down and the camera pans up to the door there.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Just beat it. Game was fucking awesome.

I liked the combat changes for the most part. I think the whole attacking your enemies without QTE prompts and dodging attacks must be a main stay from here on out. Also, I hope they keep the whole elemental blades thing. BUT I also hope they add unique melee weapons again. They were sorely missed and the throw away weapons, although nice, should not replace full fledged weaponry. Hopefully this was a one time thing.

Loved the boss battles, loved the set pieces, loved the art design and graphics... loved the game.

GoW 2 > GoW 1 > GoW 3 > GoW A. The gap between those four games isn't a large one by the way. This is why I love this series. Every game is high quality.

Fighting the Serpent/Madusa enemies and the final boss were the highlights for me. Soooo gooood!! =O

Melchiah

Just got to the infamous trial and I think I'm going to call it a night there. I'm a bit too tired to tackle something like that right now.

Game has been absolutely fantastic for the duration I played today. I think I figured out the game's biggest problem and why the combat feels so off for the first part of the game, you're too underpowered and it takes too long to get the elements maxed out. Once you get their magic abilities and the secondary items combat becomes way more interesting, deep, and strategic than the other games in the series. They did a great job with the new combat system but they didn't build up to it smoothly enough, resulting in a poor initial impression. I love the exploration, puzzles, and environments in this one. They really knocked it out of the park in terms of art design.

BTW anyone got any tips for the electric sirens? Ice seems to knock them about a lot but they're the one enemy I don't have figured out.

Apart from the annoying platforming I've enjoyed the game as well, and I think it's been as epic journey so far as GoW3. I dunno if people's expectations were on an unrealistic evel.

I play on easy, and I've already nearly maxed out the four elemental weapons while I'm at the
oracle's den
. They definitely add to the combat.

Fire seemed to work well against electric sirens, if we're talking about the same foes.

TentPole

It wasn't optional. The game highlights the next "trigger" AFTER you come out of the alleyway and around the little segment where you just fought the baddies to make your way to the pointless, olbigatory puzzle.

Not true! You most certainly can pull down the pillar and climb to the higher level without going into the puzzle room first. It is the very definition of optional. You don't have to do the puzzle. I would think you would be happy with 95% of the game that is just a straight line. With all the real issues this game has focusing your complaint on the fact that it has an optional puzzle seems insane to me.

BHK3

Banned
Beat the trials and the game itself.

I honestly wasn't expecting the story to be good since it's a prequel, but never did I think they would practically cut it out of the game. You are basically just adventuring through the game until a fury gets in your way...

Oh well, final boss looked cool but was still lame in the end. Ending sucked ass because of the non-existent story.

About the costumes:
I was very happy to read that the game had a lot of costumes, I was hoping Santa Monica would finally get it through their heads that costumes are really cool and add replayability. What do they do? They give you shitty ass fucking armour sets that do nothing. I can just play the fucking multiplayer for that, don't the costumes for 3 still cost money in the store? Fucking embarrassing.

So, final thoughts, game is a disgrace to the franchise and it shows that while santa monica was helping sony make shitty indie games like Journey, that they had no time, or forgot, or something, on how to make a videogame of their own. My full thoughts are a few pages back but this entire game was a chore to get through with no pay off. I came in just expectating a good, god of war game, I wasn't expecting titans fighting titans and gods, just a straight good game, I didn't get that.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I didn't encounter any glitches/huge framerate drops/bad sound like some people in here are claiming. I feel like I dodged a bullet somehow... *phew*

And holy shit balls, what the fuck is GoW4 gonna look like on PS4?! A lot of the shit that went down in this game from a technical standpoint was god damn voodoo...

Someone needs to alert the FBI to check SSM's basements for dead virgins and animal sacrifices.

I've fallen down the pit between that big round rolly thing puzzle in the second area of the game six times now. Fuck me. I'm just going to watch American Idol.

ascii42

I didn't encounter any glitches/huge framerate drops/bad sound like some people in here are claiming. I feel like I dodged a bullet somehow... *phew*

And holy shit balls, what the fuck is GoW4 gonna look like on PS4?! A lot of the shit that went down in this game from a technical standpoint was god damn voodoo...

Someone needs to alert the FBI to check SSM's basements for dead virgins and animal sacrifices.

Well, they did have to sacrifice a goat to get GoW II to run on the PS2...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9714156-7.html

OmahaG8

Comment and question

1) my eyes lit up when my tv prompted for 3D, I know it's silly but still novel and neat

2) I put in my Amazon code into PSN via ps3 yesterday, and it didn't download anything, nor is it on my downloads list on my ps3. Putting the code in again results in an already claimed message. But it does show up on playstations website under my history. Any thoughts or anyone else have the same happen? Thanks!

Edit- damnit, it won't even let me enter my PSASBR issac and zues code

Derrick01

Banned

Good thing you're asking now before hitting the trials. I'll spoiler a trick I found just in case

Use your fire Rage element against them to get them stunned. When you grapple them while they're stunned you make them shriek and it stuns every enemy nearby. You'll get a situation in the first wave where there's usually 2 out there at once with other enemies. So once you stun one you can keep using the sirens to stun everyone else and just keep grappling sirens to constantly stun everyone. You'll kill them eventually by doing this, even if it takes a while. But you won't get hit from them at all that way.

Hope they patch in enemy reactions. I wonder if they'll own up to this game's faults. I'm returning this if they don't add weight to my moves. Fucking terrible.

Top Bottom